"Superman & Lois" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate season 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 100.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
SupermanAndLois.jpg

March 16, 2021
"Haywire" - Episode 4

While sitting in the stands at the high school football game, Lois and Chrissy spot fish out of water Morgan Edge conversing with Mayor Dean and Kyle Kushing, and the two see right through this insincere move to try to win over the town. Meanwhile, Clark agrees to help Lois out at a town hall meeting, but things get tense when he finds himself pulled in two different directions. Lastly, Jonathan is having mixed emotions about Jordan’s newfound status.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Superman & Lois "Haywire"

Okay, I'm pretty much in love with Lois Lane. Elizabeth Tulloch isn't as fun or sassy as Dana Delaney or Erica Durance, but she's insightful, and lacks those two's recklessness and insufferability. She's more balanced as a character.

And I love the way her and Clark fight. They say exactly what they are thinking and feeling. And when they do, they each have enough wisdom to admit when what they are feeling isn't rational or fair, but they admit they feel it anyways. They are refreshingly ADULTS. First adults I've EVER seen in the Arrowverse, and I love them for it. They better not eventually stop caring about the perfect character of Lois's portrayal the way Arrow stopped caring about the previously perfect Felicity Smoak's portrayal. I don't like saying this because it seems like an unfair standard. But if a show comes up with a great character it is their responsibility to take EXTRA pains to make sure the character is written correctly. Arrow's problem is they slacked off with Felicity after season three, and relied mostly on Emily Bett Rickards's (not inconsiderable) charms rather than the unique writing choices they used to make for the character. I don't want that to happen to Lois. I don't want the show to decide a stupid fight with Clark where one or both of them is petulant is a fine way to stoke conflict rather than the very real problems they are facing and kicking butt over. I sincerely hope the writers understand the responsibility they have over creating an unusually great character. It has been my experience most franchises do not. Most franchises turn great characters into Kenneth from 30 Rock instead of keeping them Creed from The Office. The Creeds are the rarities. Messing up and ruining previously great characters is the pop-culture norm. But Lois is SO great I am going to be about ten times madder than I was at the Arrow producers writing Felicity out of character. And I was plenty dang mad.

I also love her calling out Sam's toxicity and his lousy parenting style, and arguing that he's in no position to give Clark parenting tips, while Clark is so great at it, and he was so lousy at it. What is deliciously ironic to me, is that the actual advice he gave Jordan and Jonathan that Lois is raging over is actually sound! I was expecting a MUCH heavier and worse shoe to drop based on his earlier reactions in the episode. The fact that Jordan and Jonathan took the advice TOO seriously doesn't stop "Don't waste Superman's time," from being good, true advice.

Kyle is apparently not only a bad person in general, but a bad husband in particular. Can't believe Lana made up with that jerk. Apparently she's a sap and a doormat. Lois didn't do her any favors by defending Kyle either. Lois would be a much healthier role model for Lana if she was able to recognize how unhappy Lana really is. But her and Clark's problems are not equal to Lana and Kyle's problems, and Lois doesn't seem to have the idea that they aren't yet.

I love the dismissive and derisive tone Lois uses towards Morgan Edge when she meets with him. The reason I love it is because Edge has been doing horrible things to her, and doing them all while operating under the pretense of "being a gentlemen." And I love Lois because she isn't going to treat a guy who tried to have her killed and get her fired as a gentlemen. He doesn't deserve it. She is not going to play his rules of high-powered etiquette as long as he's cheating. It's insulting to Lois to pretend he's playing fair. If Edge were even slightly appreciative he'd think it was cool, because it would also be insulting to HIM if Lois is humoring him out of a misguided sense of propriety. There is a certain amount of respect attached to Lois being honest enough to tell him she doesn't respect him. Ironic, but essentially true.

I loved the episode. I love Lois and Clark. I love Lois Lane. And this show better not ever let me down. They caught lightning in a bottle with Lois. It is now their responsibility to never let it out. It's not exactly a fair responsibility, but if they didn't want it, they shouldn't have developed such a perfect character to begin with. This is entirely on them from this point forward. ****1/2.

Last edited:

hobbyfan

In case anyone wonders, Thaddeus Killgrave comes from the post-Crisis books, created by John Byrne & John Beatty. However, the comics version of Killgrave is another vertically challenged villain, so they upgraded the character. Good move.

I think now I understand why things have been toxic between Sam & Clark in the books, and Lois calling out her father was spot on. He's trying to force his viewpoints on the boys, as well as Clark, and that's never good.

Count me in as far as a potential crossover with Super Hero High. Heck, I'd say a back-door pilot would set that up just fine.

As far as Tag is concerned, I don't think his story is over. Yet.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
SupermanAndLois.jpg

March 23, 2021
"The Best of Smallville" - Episode 5

As Smallville celebrates its first Harvest Festival since Martha’s passing, Clark is reminded what his mother meant to him and learns a lesson that will help him move past her death. Meanwhile, Lois makes a breakthrough in the investigation of Morgan Edge. Lastly, Kyle tries to reconnect with Lana, but it seems like he might be falling back into his old ways.

reflection01

Really like what they’re doing with this show. All the characters are gaining more depth and we are only 5 episodes in.

I like how they’re setting up Kyle as kind of a bizzaro Clark. As the fire chief and civic leader, Kyle is a hero in his own right. He also has a teenager with special needs and he’s trying to stay connected to her. He’s trying to hold his family together. But unlike Clark, he can get drunk. He doesn’t have powers to fall back on. Kyle certainly isn’t a villain. He’s not a toady for Edge. He’s a hero going through challenges.

Lana continues to impress. I had no idea Emmanuelle Chriqui would be so good in this role. I’ve only seen her as the glamorous beauty who’s out of everyone’s league. Now she places the accessible town mom.

She actually reminds me of my friend from my small town who was a cute popular cheerleader growing up and could have been a success in the big city but came back home to help revitalize the town. I feel the burden that Lana carrying. Part of the connection between Lana and Clark is that Lana wants to be what Martha was to Smallville.

And Sarah is one of my favorite characters on TV right now. The interview with Navarette posted on the other thread got me excited about where they’re taking her character. I was afraid this was going to be a cheesy teen drama but it looks like it’s going to be part engrossing teen drama, quality adult drama, family drama, and a little superhero drama as well.

Very well done all around. Gotta say that Superman and Lois, Stargirl, and to a point Black Lightning make The Flash and Supergirl seem outdated. I appreciate the evolution in Berlanti’s style. I hope to see Aunt Kara make an appearance in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Superman & Lois "The Best Of Smallville"

That was nice. Seeing Clark as the teenaged masked vigilante made me laugh.

I also love that Jonathan immediately apologizes for ruining Jordan's date, and Jordan immediately forgives him. That was sweet.

So was Clark giving Jonathan a "free pass". You can tell he didn't consult with Lois about it and she's not happy. It says something about their strength as a couple that she doesn't read Clark the riot act the second the boys go upstairs.

Chrissy soon figures out Lois isn't mad because Lois knows there is still a story there. Per usual, Lois is right.

Captain Luthor and Lois were married on Luthor's Earth? Gee, do you think there might be some upcoming bad blood there?

I love the show so I'm not happy about the hiatus. Especially since I could always take or leave Supergirl. But that was a good episode. ****.

hobbyfan

Ok, so we have a genetic alteration machine that will churn out temporary villains (because these poor souls, such as Tag & Derek, will end up sacrificed) to keep Edge in the mix since he doesn't appear in every episode. Fair enough.

Funny how we have a Luthor from another Earth while Edge is using Lex's post-Crisis gimmick of being a philanthropist to hide his evil. And the Lex on this show was married to the Lois on his world. Well, folks, in the books, there were alternate realities where this actually happened back in the day, and that, post-Crisis, Lois dated Lex, then dropped him like a bad habit after learning of his crooked activities, and fell for Superman.

I know you folks are salty that we have to wait until May for the next episode, but this is what happens when COVID gets in the way.

Why do I have this feeling that they'll reach into the books for a trope where Lois gets powers?

Otaku-sempai

Ok, so we have a genetic alteration machine that will churn out temporary villains (because these poor souls, such as Tag & Derek, will end up sacrificed) to keep Edge in the mix since he doesn't appear in every episode. Fair enough.

Funny how we have a Luthor from another Earth while Edge is using Lex's post-Crisis gimmick of being a philanthropist to hide his evil. And the Lex on this show was married to the Lois on his world. Well, folks, in the books, there were alternate realities where this actually happened back in the day, and that, post-Crisis, Lois dated Lex, then dropped him like a bad habit after learning of his crooked activities, and fell for Superman.

I know you folks are salty that we have to wait until May for the next episode, but this is what happens when COVID gets in the way.

Why do I have this feeling that they'll reach into the books for a trope where Lois gets powers?
Yup! As someone who first got into comics in the last years of the Silver Age, I remember many of those sorts of tales.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
SupermanAndLois.jpg

May 18, 2021
"Broken Trust" - Episode 6

Clark reconsiders his decision to let Jordan play football. Meanwhile, Lois’ continued investigation of Morgan Edge requires her to trust an unexpected ally.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Superman & Lois "Broken Trust"

I missed this show.

Clark is the best Dad ever. I love him not only telling Jordan he is also tempted to misuse his powers the way he did, but he made it seem like the most normal thing in the world! Jordan is NOT crazy for it. He just needs to learn better.

I also love that John just cannot forgive Jordan at the end. And I love him for that. Honestly, John has been nothing but supportive to Jordan and on his side when he really shouldn't have been, and apparently no good deed goes unpunished. I really hope these two talk it out, and explore every inch of why John is angry, because out of all the people to hurt, it especially sucks Jordan hurt his only real advocate for his powers. It sucks a LOT.

Speaking of which Kyle is all of the worst parts of a terrible person. I dislike him because I recognize his level of spite, hatefulness, cruelty, ignorance, and outright stupidity from real-world people. You could argue the same about Sam Lane, but the thing I admire about Sam is that it is very clear who and what he stands for. I think he sucks, but nothing he does disappoints or surprises me because he's upfront about it. Kyle threatening a restraining order against Lois while she is in their house because he doesn't like what she has to says is a weaselly move done by a weak person who can't articulate his own ideas clearly, and needs to make threats to compensate for his intellectual inferiority. Yeah, it's not a threat of violence (yet) but I found him walking up and down the hall with the drink in his hand quite menacing myself. The last time I hated a Superman show civilian that much was Whitney on Smallville. It's been that long. The messed up thing is Kyle is ten times worse than Whitney. Whitney was a dumb kid who in the end died for his country. What's Kyle's excuse and what is HE willing to put himself on the line for?

I find it hard to sympathize with Jordan's pain at the end. Why? He turned down Rocky Road. What the hell is the matter with this broken person? That is no-one whose journey I am invested in. Lois is a far better mom than that kid deserves.

For the record, I'm joking. I actually DID find his breakdown at the end quite moving. And he IS broken. And his Mom can't fix it. Sniff!

Man, I missed this. Looks like things are gonna heat up next week with Alex/Marcus/The Stranger. ****.

reflection01

His breakdown was so good that it actually got me wondering if this show would do a suicide plot line. I don’t think they would but they’ve set it up. Perhaps Jordan jumps off a bridge and doesn’t hit the ground. Or he is about to do it and sees someone who needs to be saved a la It’s a Wonderful Life.

I don’t know. But they’re selling it.

Kyle is a dude who drinks too much trying to do right by his town. He married up and is jealous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Frontier

Staff member
I dunno, I don't necesarilly love Kyle as a character but I can usually see where he's coming from as someone who has been through a lot and watched his town die and finally sees hope for a revitalization through Morgan Edge. Lois has never presented enough concrete evidence to negate what Edge seems to be doing for Smallville in Kyle's eyes. Just what her reporter gut is telling her.

You could see he was a little thrown off by Lana getting a promotion courtesy of Edge instead of him but I think his congratulatory dinner and saying how much she deserved it was completely genuine. The man has his vices and not the best bedside manner, but I think he genuinely cares about his family and Smallville.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I missed some episodes and/or forgot but do we know why Morgan Edge, a businessman, wants to build an army of people enhanced with powers? Or should expect something like Edge is possessed by the phantom of General Zod?

Frontier

Staff member
I missed some episodes and/or forgot but do we know why Morgan Edge, a businessman, wants to build an army of people enhanced with powers? Or should expect something like Edge is possessed by the phantom of General Zod?
There's been a pretty common fan theory that X-Kryptonite might allow people from the Phantom Zone to possess normal humans and that it's already happened to Edge, by Zod.

There was an interview where they laid out how Edge's motivation is propping up a certain type of people...which would fit with a Kryptonian supremacist.

That and Lois made fun of his accent being fake, which could've been just a joke but possibly an indication that Edge isn't actually British but it's Zod talking like he would on Krypton.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
There's been a pretty common fan theory that X-Kryptonite might allow people from the Phantom Zone to possess normal humans and that it's already happened to Edge, by Zod.
Cool. Plus it would fool comics fans that know their Kryptonite and think it's the same power set of giving humans Kryptonian powers.

Frontier

Staff member
Cool. Plus it would fool comics fans that know their Kryptonite and think it's the same power set of giving humans Kryptonian powers.
Yeah, like the big indicator is that missing son who turned up with powers who fought Clark and called him Kal-El and acted uncomfortable around the woman who was supposed to be his mom. Almost like that wasn't actually him to begin with, just someone in his body.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'm a little vague on Zod's status. Superman defeated him o.s. after Fort Rozz landed on Earth on Supergirl? But then, wasn't there a line of something that implied Superman had to kill him in a rematch? But I guess this was all pre-Crisis so the events may have changed and he's back in the Phantom Zone?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts