Voice Actors in live action roles

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Nancy Cartwright--pretty early on in her career--played the title role in a 1982 made-for-TV movie called Marian Rose White, which was based on a true story about a woman who was wrongfully put in a mental institution in the 1930s.

You can read more about the movie here.
She also had a nude scene in the Paul Verhoeven film Flesh and Bone. When I saw that scene I was shocked.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Dee Bradley Baker also appeared in Big Time Rush as the boy band's original tutor Mr. Smitty, who then goes to Germany after the boy band tells him that he would be well suited to a man band there.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Big Time Rush actually had plenty of voice actors playing live action roles. Besides Tara and Dee, there's also Rob Paulsen as Mel Sellmart (I think that's his name), Daran Norris as Buddha Bob (who's pretty much Gordy, his character from Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide), Phil LaMarr as Hawk, and (I don't remember his name) Jess Harnell played a washed up rock star in season 3.

hobbyfan

Strong also appeared in Big Time Rush as Miss Collins.
And, under her maiden name of Tara Charendoff, appeared in 2 Sabrina TV-movies with Melissa Joan Hart.

Let me add to the list:

Kevin Conroy, before being cast as Batman in 1992, was in season 1 of Tour of Duty.
Casey Kasem & Frank Welker each appeared separately on the Dean Martin Celebrity Roast. Frank did a Walter Cronkite mimic in the roast of George Burns. Casey was dressed as Columbo for the roast of Telly Savalas, and was a Hitler-esque press agent for Don Rickles. He'd don the Columbo trenchcoat again on The Hardy Boys-Nancy Drew Mysteries.

While voicing Daphne on Scooby-Doo during the 70's, Heather North also appeared on Days of Our Lives. Nicole Jaffe was in season 1 of Room 222.

Some VA's made the transition from live action to cartoons to extend their careers. Michael Bell's live-action resume includes Charlie's Angels, Streets of San Francisco, The Monkees, Benson, Star Trek: The Next Generation, M*A*S*H, and 2 appearances on Three's Company. Phil LaMarr, until a stint on Supergirl, had not done much live-action work after leaving MadTV. Michael Dorn made the transition while still doing Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

khuddle

Nathan Fillon, the voice of Hal Jordan (Green Lantern) in DC Animated, played Captain Reynold's in Joss Whedon's TV series Firefly.

Although undeniably talented, Fillon has a reputation for having a bit of an ego and has clashed repeatedly with co-stars over the years.

I still like his work though. He is the definitive Hal Jordan for me, big ego notwithstanding :)

the greenman

Danny Cooksey was the annoying little kid Sam on Diff'rent Strokes.

Yeardley Smith played Louise on Herman's Head.

Kevin Conroy played an obnoxious doctor on the short-lived sitcom Rachel Gunn RN.
Cooksey also starred in Nickelodeon's Salute Your Shorts.

EG Daily did alot of live action in the 80's especially singing in this:
EDITED over voice track from OST song.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Will Friedle was Eric Mattews on "Boy Meets World" and played the lead in the comedy "Trojan War".

Jason Marsden got his big break as the mysterious kid X on "Eerie, Indiana" and was also on the second awful season of "The Torkelsons" when it was rebranded "Almost Home".

hobbyfan

Jason Marsden was also in The Munsters Today (he played Eddie). E. G. Daily's still got her singing career, and it got her on The Voice a few years back.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
David Herman was a cast member of Mad TV. Really quite amazing how versatile he is.
Also appeared twice on the TV show Angel.

Speaking of the Buffyverse, I've got a good one. Robin Atkin Downes played Machida the Reptile Demon in the Buffy The Vampire Slayer episode "Reptile Boy". I always thought Downes was surprisingly good-looking for a voice actor, and probably could be cast in some live-action stuff, maybe even as a handsome lead. Seeing the episode again and his name in the credits made me realize that specific live-action role wasn't what I had in mind for him.

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
In 1984, there was a short-lived live action show titled The Duck Factory, which was about an animation studio. One of the actors onscreen? Don Messick, as Wally Wooster, the voice of Dippy Duck. Also in the show: Julie Payne, known for voicing Liz in Garfield, as Aggie Aylesworth. Frank Welker appeared in one episode as a a rival voice actor.

Hank Azaria, Nancy Cartwright and (I think) Dan Castellaneta made guest appearances in different episodes of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

DocForbin

Dan Castelleneta and Julie Kavner were regulars on The Tracy Ullman Show. Kavner was also on Rhoda.
Another MTM show, The Bob Newhart Show, had quite a few future voice actors in it. Marcia Wallace--who played Carol Kester--would later go on to voice Edna Krabappel on The Simpsons. Jack Riley--who played Elliot Carlin--would go on to voice Stu Pickles on Rugrats. Lorenzo Music--the show's co-creator and co-writer of its theme song--would of course go on to voice Carlton the Doorman on Rhoda (as well as voice the character on that animated special) and of course would go on to be the original voice of Garfield and the original voice of Peter Venkman on The Real Ghostbusters.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Nancy Cartwright--pretty early on in her career--played the title role in a 1982 made-for-TV movie called Marian Rose White, which was based on a true story about a woman who was wrongfully put in a mental institution in the 1930s.

You can read more about the movie here.
Of course, the live-action role most people will remember her from is her portrayal of the "sister" that gets sent to the cartoon equivalent to "the cornfield" in the "It's a Good Life" portion of Twilight Zone: The Movie.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts