COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Absolutely ridiculous pandemonium:
"Unlike flu viruses, the COVID-19 virus is typically quite stable, accumulating just one or two mutations a month. That’s because it has a protein that acts as a proofreader, correcting as many errors as it can find. And when it does change, most of the resulting variants are benign or even weakened versions of the pathogen."

Well, then I shouldn't care less how contagious those new strains are.
Exactly but it may take some time.
~230 days to be accurate given the current 1 million shots per day since January 14, 2021 and the supposed 75% of the US population that need to be vaccinated to get to herd immunity.

Last edited:

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Due to Covid-19, the Japanese government has privately chosen to cancel the Tokyo Olympics.

No, per your link, they're looking to see if they can get out of hosting it.

But per this link, that's not true:

Maybe some Japanese govt. officials were wanting out of it....but I don't think they would cancel it again, the most they would do is delay it again. When you agree to host the Olympics, you need to follow through and do your part, but they won't cancel it.

I remember the complaints about Rio De Janeiro leading up to 2016, about unsafe conditions in the City near the Olympics, and poor drinking/bathing water and the housing for the athletes being hastily built, but they didn't move the Olympics. (the comparison is not about the delay in response to Covid, but to the Olympics Committee not changing the location and moving it elsewhere)

Frankly, we've learned so much about the virus in the last year, the people attending understand the conditions....I think the world needs these Olympics and they will hold them. Especially as vaccines continue to roll out in distribution.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
100-year old World War II veteran becomes 1 millionth Florida Senior Citizen to receive Covid vaccine.

I'm just surprised they're already at 1 million people in Florida alone that have received a dose of the vaccine. Amazing.

In other news, President Biden yesterday announced a plan and has signed executive orders pushing for a goal of 100 million doses of vaccine to be administered in his first 100 days in office. Some news reports I've read say that, for the last week, around 1 million doses have been given per day across the nation (that's been that way for the last week - states have really ramped up in the last few days).....so I'd say 100 million doses in 100 days is certainly possible.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Some news reports I've read say that, for the last week, around 1 million doses have been given per day across the nation (that's been that way for the last week - states have really ramped up in the last few days).....so I'd say 100 million doses in 100 days is certainly possible.
17 million was the reported total since ~1 million shots/day a week ago.
As I stated in a previous post, that puts us to Fall or Winter of this year in terms of enough people inoculated.
Longer due to States report vaccine shortages and cancel appointments

Last edited:

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Speaking of the upcoming Olympics, recently the NHK conducted a survey saying that some people want the games to be delayed further or not even happening at all. The NHK has conducted several versions of this over time depending on the evolution of the situation.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
A Good Webpage to see Where the Country is at with Various Restrictions:
Also, good time as any to move to Florida or Missouri :tweety:

Dr.Pepper

^In Washington state, restrictions on Indoor dining was going to be lifted on January 11, but then got pushed back until further notice. I really want to be up with a friend after work for dinner, but that’s not happening anytime soon.

Asa

I'm hoping the coronavirus will stop being a threat to humanity for good later this year (things will always change once a year).

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
No, per your link, they're looking to see if they can get out of hosting it.

But per this link, that's not true:

Maybe some Japanese govt. officials were wanting out of it....but I don't think they would cancel it again, the most they would do is delay it again. When you agree to host the Olympics, you need to follow through and do your part, but they won't cancel it.

I remember the complaints about Rio De Janeiro leading up to 2016, about unsafe conditions in the City near the Olympics, and poor drinking/bathing water and the housing for the athletes being hastily built, but they didn't move the Olympics. (the comparison is not about the delay in response to Covid, but to the Olympics Committee not changing the location and moving it elsewhere)

Frankly, we've learned so much about the virus in the last year, the people attending understand the conditions....I think the world needs these Olympics and they will hold them. Especially as vaccines continue to roll out in distribution.
I think there's two options for the Tokyo Olympics in order to avoid a possible cancellation: It will go on but behind closed doors or postpone it to next year, making the first time to have both the main Summer and Winter Olympics held in the same year since 1992.

harry580

I think there's two options for the Tokyo Olympics in order to avoid a possible cancellation: It will go on but behind closed doors or postpone it to next year, making the first time to have both the main Summer and Winter Olympics held in the same year since 1992.
ironic since that year has the 2 at the end and next year is 2022 so 30th anniversary of having summer and Winter Olympics in that year

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter

They're not going to cancel it. As you and others have said, the most they'll do is postpone it again.

If they do push the Olympics back another year (to 2022), and hold both Summer and Winter games then, it'll be awkward to hold the Summer Olympics of 2024 just 2 years later.

In 1992, they held both the Summer and Winter Olympics, but then in 1994 they did a Winter Olympics, so that was 2 years between Winter events....this would be 2 years between Summer events.

But I don't think they'll push this year's Olympics back another year.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
They're not going to cancel it. As you and others have said, the most they'll do is postpone it again.

If they do push the Olympics back another year (to 2022), and hold both Summer and Winter games then, it'll be awkward to hold the Summer Olympics of 2024 just 2 years later.

In 1992, they held both the Summer and Winter Olympics, but then in 1994 they did a Winter Olympics, so that was 2 years between Winter events....this would be 2 years between Summer events.

But I don't think they'll push this year's Olympics back another year.
As long as the hiatus doesn't last 1593 years like last time :D

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Quick heads up. Don't trust any official Chinese approved source out of China because they either stopped testing or reporting in the middle of last year. I was looking around to see if any other country did the same thing, but no luck so far as you can easily type "[country/city] covid cases" and get a familiar line graph of results. In Bing, China impossibly flattened the curve and if you look at deaths, they had thousands spiked in a single day before they had no new data to report since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts