"WandaVision (Disney+ Limited Series)" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this series

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
"We are an unusual couple."

wandavision.jpg

WandaVision
WandaVision, launching on Disney+ on January 15, 2021, is Marvel Studios’ first series that continues to expand the MCU.
Wanda Maximoff and Vision are two super-powered beings are living idealized suburban lives, but begin to suspect everything is not as it seems.
Starring Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany, Kathryn Hahn, Teyonah Parris, Kat Dennings and Randall Park, WandaVision is directed by Matt Shakman; Jac Shaeffer is head writer.

Episode 1 "Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience"
Wanda and Vision struggle to conceal their powers during dinner with Vision's boss and his wife.
Episode 2 "Don't Touch That Dial"
In an effort to fit in, Wanda and Vision perform a magic act in their community talent show.

Official Links
WandaVision on Disney+
WandaVision on Twitter
WandaVision on Instagram
WandaVision on Facebook

See Also
"Marvel on Disney+" Pre-Release News & Discussion, Part 1 (Spoilers)
"Marvel on Disney+" Pre-Release News & Discussion, Part 2 (Spoilers)
"Marvel on Disney+" Pre-Release News & Discussion, Part 3 (Spoilers)
"Avengers: Age of Ultron" Talkback (Spoilers)
"Captain America: Civil War" Talkback (Spoilers)
"Doctor Strange" Talkback (Spoilers)
"Avengers: Infinity War" Talkback (Spoilers)
"Ant-Man and The Wasp" Talkback (Spoilers)
"Captain Marvel" Talkback (Spoilers)
"Avengers: Endgame" Talkback (Spoilers)

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I admit a lot of what I learned about X-Men was through the X-Men Evolution cartoon as though I had seen Scarlet Witch and Vision in the Avengers United they Stand cartoon as a kid I mostly remember just seeing promotion and the intro for that show not really the series itself. X-Men Evolution I did watch and vividly remember the first introduction of Wanda Maximoff and how much of a game changer she was... until I guess the writers got tired of her subplot of trying to go hunting down and offing magneto for being such a terrible father so kind of wrote it out by having magneto have another mutant alter his mind so he was a good father to her.

Which I never liked and always saw as a bad thing even if other fans didn't not liking that subplot but I always thought it was messed up trying to like put a band aid and quick fix to such obvious issues and not dealing with them instead trying to pretend things were all warmy and cheery with Wanda. I do have a feeling if Evolution went on longer it might of eventually become an issue but even so I always felt that was portrayed as the wrong thing and you shouldn't mess with Wanda like that.

And that's of course before the major comic book events like Avengers Disassembled and House of M came out that proved yeah you should NOT mess with Wanda like that and the reprecussions will have going forward for the universe, which I'm pretty sure this show is tapping into as well. With the ending with the bee keeper being rewound and Wanda's pregnancy it's clear at least a part of her is subconsciously going along with these events but yeah it's clear there's several level of play with someone knowing someone's screwing with Wanda and wanting to get her out and obviously the people making this show and not knowing how to deal with it breaking. Like it is hard to say what's going on now but it is clear especially if you've been keeping up with MCU news that isn't going to really wind up going well for Wanda though I am hoping for a sense of reality and closure at least for her never gotten in the Evolution cartoon.

Since though a side character for several movies you have seen Wanda develop and get over her fears and grow into a more confident super hero and it's clear whoever is doing this wants to use her somehow but really hard to know what the game plan is here but eh that can be revealed more over time and I do like that though there are some hints to let you know this world is false that isn't really the focus... yet. There's obvious time for that later but for now it's on the sitcom antics which honestly work for what they are.

Now obviously the first two episodes are send ups of The Dick Van Dyke Show and Bewitched which I admit as a kid I never saw much of. I was way more into I Love Lucy and I Dream of Jeanie but I know enough about those series to get the homages and do like how it seems every episode will be it's own send up as the characters evolve their relationship. The first was moving into town and then the second was meeting the neighbors and Wanda getting pregnant so obviously the next is likely going to deal with her giving birth in... uh maybe a Brady Bunch esque set up we'll see. I do like how that does give an identity to each episode as it's clear we're building and building the scale the first episode just showing the house and workplace and actually getting into the neighborhood in the second one.

And the laughs for the obvious having to go to sitcom tropes as they are do really work. I have to admit "drunk" aka Gum in him vision being a total mess purposely showing off his powers and Wanda having to cover for him is probably the overall funniest bit of the two episodes but there were other amusing gags like Vision having no idea what the company he works for even does, Wanda getting Agnes out the door as she's preparing dinner and the lobster on the door, and "oh that's the rest of your outfit" quip.

Though props for them having this atmosphere that makes the actual creepy moments of the reality breaking like Mr. Hart choking or Dottie break her hand feel creepy. I also like the idea we're not sure yet if "Geraldine" aka Monica is playing along or really unsure of what's happening getting swept into this fake reality. Obviously we'll see more of her and the other MCU related characters that are suppose to appear here in later episodes but I like the set ups for them here.

I admit even if it is playing the sitcom cliches a lot of those super tropey lines of "We know what you two are" don't work for me but eh these are still fun episodes and a good lead into hopefully a good reveal onto what's going on. I admit I only caught the first episode of Agents of SHIELD and none of the netflix series which aren't MCU canon now anyway but I'm fine catching shows like this as yeah I'm certainly hooked enough to keep watching and try and find out what's going on.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I really admire how they've pulled off that mid-century sitcom feel and look so far. I love old TV, from the sitcoms to the westerns to sci-fi to the cop shows, and still have my periods where I don't want to watch anything made after 1975 or something. This doesn't make me an expert or anything but I just feel like this is an era of television that I can really just let go in. I didn't feel at home with these two episodes. I felt uneasy and anxious. Just waiting for the other shoe to drop and knowing that it's all an illusion left me so unsettled. Good performances all around, costuming, the period set designs, music, everything. Usually when I see recreations, they're half-assed in someway but they took care of everything here. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this nut crack next Friday.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
WandaVision "Episode 1"

I thought the most interesting aspect of the first episode was the creepy moment where the boss was choking and his wife kept repeating "Stop it!". I am especially interested in the aspects of the show that poke and destroy the fairytale sitcom of the set-up. I think this episode is too early to make any judgments on either it or how good the series is going to be. But it was interesting and things could go either way. ***.

WandaVision "Episode 2"

The color being slowly bled into the world (including actual blood) echoes Pleasantville.

Beekeeper? HIVE?

The Strucker / Hydra watch commercial also raises questions.

Paul Bettany is a surprisingly gifted comic actor.

Are we getting a different theme song for every episode? Not sure how I feel about that.

I enjoyed that. ***1/2.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
I didn't feel at home with these two episodes. I felt uneasy and anxious. Just waiting for the other shoe to drop and knowing that it's all an illusion left me so unsettled. Good performances all around, costuming, the period set designs, music, everything. Usually when I see recreations, they're half-assed in someway but they took care of everything here. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this nut crack next Friday.
I felt uneasy and anxious because the technical side (set design, music, performances, costuming) wasn't puzzle piecing together with the actual storytelling (be it the sitcom or the 4th wall breaking). That's the underwhelming recreation portion. Not enough wit. Not enough reason to care about the characters.
Plenty of, "hey, do you remember this other MCU couple and these 'say/do the thing' archetypes?"
I wish there were more subtle cracks in people's personalities amidst the parody writing.

Frontier

Staff member
Man, it does the heart good to see the Marvel Studios intro again, now with Endgame footage, although it was sad seeing Black Panther :crying:.

It's got to be surreal for some given how long it was since we've gotten proper MCU content, only for it to turn out to be so surreal and unconventional, especially with the Black Widow delays. But in some ways it sets up the Disney+ Marvel Studios shows to kind of break the mold and do something different :anime:.

I love how we get different intro's for each "era" of show :proud:.

The commercials are a nice touch. Stark Industries was apparently into toasters once upon a time and the Strucker's had their own brand of Hydra watches? I'm guessing those were only a hit in Germany :sweat:.

(Although maybe Wanda is just conjuring commercials from what she knows, like Tony and Baron Strucker/Hydra).

Elizabeth Olsen's Wanda performance is so much stronger without an accent :).

Good thing they found a convenient and believable way for Paul Bettany to not have to wear Vision's makeup 24/7 :coach:.

So is Agnes Agatha Harkness? She's insinuated herself as Wanda's best friend, but how in on it is she :confused:?

What is going on? Jimmy Woo's voice seems to think somebody put Wanda in this world, but it seems like she has some degree of control over it (ala House of M) since she had to order Vision to save Mr. Hart and she rewound time when a SWORD agent popped up in the world. Plus how things conveniently end up working out for them and Wanda getting pregnant. I guess the issue is that, even if she didn't necessarily create it for herself, she doesn't want her life with Vision to end again :(.

Granted, I thought that was a SWORD Agent, but the beekeeper thing made me wonder if AIM was partially responsible :evil:.

I guess there's another question of how aware the townspeople are of what's going on. It seems like they're generally oblivious right up until something happens that causes them to break character and force Wanda to explain what's going on, like they know she's somewhat responsible or just don't have any idea what's going on o_O.

Wanda in that dress! Wanda in a nightgown! Wanda dressed as Glamor! Glamorous is more like it ;).

Anyone wanna bet that, once the world is undone, the last thing Wanda is left with or sees go is the wedding rings :sad:?

But it was pretty neat to see them incorporate Illusion and Glamor as stage magician identities for Vision and Wanda instead of their neighbors who secretly moonlight as thieves (although I kind of liked that too). Of course, as lovely as Wanda is and looked, she's no Zatanna :elle:.

Is that how Vision's body actually functions or is sitcom logic actually altering how he works for the sake of the plot? It somehow making him act drunk was hilarious and reminded me of Baymax in low power mode from Big Hero Six :daffy:.

So now we're just treating Wanda's powers like magic when it used to be...I dunno, relatively sci-fi based telekinesis/energy manipulation? I guess part of that is to fit within the era-specific sitcom they're deriving inspiration from, and to allude to the future Dr. Strange connection, but I'm almost tempted to think it's setting up Wanda's powers to be whatever the plot needs them to be :rolleyes2:.

"Wanda...turn the lights off." Well, one way or another, I think we can pinpoint when the Twins were conceived :p.

So I guess all the talk about "for the children" and the casual mentions of Wanda and Vision having kids lead to Wanda's sudden pregnancy? I'm not quite sure if that's how biology works, but at least it's not Carol Danvers' comic pregnancy :ack:.

Wanda's headpiece showing up in digital form makes me hopeful we might finally see it in her full costume and not just in a Halloween costume :cool:.

Last edited:

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
What is going on? Jimmy Woo's voice seems to think somebody put Wanda in this world, but it seems like she has some degree of control over it (ala House of M) since she had to order Vision to save Mr. Hart and she rewound time when a SWORD agent popped up in the world. Plus how things conveniently end up working out for them and Wanda getting pregnant. I guess the issue is that, even if she didn't necessarily create it for herself, she doesn't want her life with Vision to end again :(.
I certainly hoped for ala House of M, Wanda managing to flip everyone's reality, but this next observation and Woo trying to contact her makes me think...
Is that how Vision's body actually functions or is sitcom logic actually altering how he works for the sake of the plot? It somehow making him act drunk was hilarious and reminded me of Baymax in low power mode from Big Hero Six :daffy:.

So now we're just treating Wanda's powers like magic when it used to be...I dunno, relatively sci-fi based telekinesis/energy manipulation? I guess part of that is to fit within the era-specific sitcom they're deriving inspiration from, and to allude to the future Dr. Strange connection, but I'm almost tempted to think it's setting up Wanda's powers to be whatever the plot needs them to be :rolleyes2:.
this is nothing more than a collective fever dream under her own sedation because that's another of her powers. I'm going to bet they spent the budget on something flashier than that, but even if it is just that that's definitely still Dr. Strange's calling card.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Feels so great to have the MCU back and on a weekly basis again. They really didn't pull any punches with the series being a love letter to classic sitcom TV. Although I watched more of Munsters and I Dream of Jeannie, it was fun to relive some of this stuff I vaguely remember watching reruns of on Nick-and-Nite and otherwise.

Episode 1

It got me wondering if Wanda's tried to compartmentalize her grief over Vision and the consequences are her abilities going haywire and her mind accidentally warped reality around Westview to her hopes for an ideal life with Vision pre-IW. Like her subconscious is the big bad. That's what's resetting the grim parts like after Vision saves Mr. Hart from choking to life or later in episode 2, the beekeeper scene. Like if you think about it, Loki used the Scepter in Avengers to subjugate people against their will and losing consciousness freed Hawkeye. This could be the same ability being used against Wanda, Vision, Monica and Westview.

And in the opening drive, the for sale sign has the 732 area code in the telephone number so it's definitely a town in New Jersey.

Agnes's anniversary date of June 2 is rather telling. If she really is Agatha Harkness, June 2 was a pretty important date in the Salem Witch Trials... or she's just a red herring named Agnes. Definitely a nod to the classic sitcom nosy neighbor.

Probably Matt Shakman's doing but in the scene at Computational Services, when Vision asks Norm what it is they do? That's almost word for word of an exchange between Frank and Charlie at the 9:50-ish mark in a season 8 episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, "Frank's Back in Business."

Vision holding he tenderizer was a nice subtle nod to when he held Mjölnir in AOU.

When Mrs. Hart got woozy, couldn't help but wonder if whatever's creating this pocket reality is having unforeseen neurological effects on her because of age, a condition she has in the real world, etc.

Wonder if the Maison du Mépris wine was a House of M nod. "House of contempt." Scarlet Witch's contempt for the plot to assassinate her in the comic?

Episode 2

That cartoon title sequence seemed to have nods to Marvel characters. I saw a Whizzer figurine next to the lamp and the silhouette in one shot looked like Grim Reaper's headpiece. EDIT: And Bova Milk is a nod to Bova Ayrshire, a genetically enhanced anthropomorphic cow who acted as a caretaker (yep) for Wanda and Pietro when they were newborns. "Auntie A. Litter" was probably an Agatha Harkness nod since there's a black cat mascot and in the comics, Agatha's familiar was a black cat named Ebony.

With the radio, helicopter, and person in the beekeeper suit, it looks like S.W.O.R.D. has been poking and prodding trying to breach Westview. I guess Monica was the first but suffered the same amnesia effect that everyone seems to be under except for those brief moments. The helicopter also had a neat nod. Pretty sure the "57" on the side is a nod to Vision's first appearance in the comics, Avengers #57. Perhaps Monica was flying the helicopter and they got pulled in. She was "cast" as Geraldine and doesn't remember who she is and the helicopter was reduced to a toy.

Ah yes, and Norm mentions Hackensack in the library - another piece of evidence they're in New Jersey.

Glamor and Illusion was a clever nod to that couple from the comics.

Also getting into the Red Scare subtly with Wanda and Vision being concerned about being gossiped about as the outsiders. Or not so subtle when Vision called Norm a Communist.

Loved how the color bled into Westview and it appears we're headed to the 60s or 70s next week.

It was an interesting touch to have the 2 commercials link to Wanda and Pietro's origins - the black market Stark Industries weapons killed their parents and reduced their home to rubble and HYDRA and Strucker experimenting on them with the Mind Stone.

I wonder if each episode we'll gradually see more and more of the townsfolk cracking and remembering who they are. Otherwise, it's going to be a long 7 weeks. Plus like we've seen in the trailers, we will start seeing more of S.W.O.R.D. and the real world at some point. It still feels perplexing how this will take 7 more episodes. Didn't feel quite as strong of an opening 2 episodes. Or perhaps I am biased because I'm more looking forward to Falcon and The Winter Soldier, but they're done enough to color me intrigued. Can't wait to see how it unfolds (and hopefully continue to dodge spoilers online).

Last edited:

reflection01

I don’t think we have to worry about getting tired of the sitcom format.

It was stunning to see 2020 racial and ethnic diversity within 1950s and 60s sitcom style. The first ep played it pretty straigth sitcom. The second ep drifted away from the format quite a bit. I’m sure other eps will do the same.

I definitely don’t think this will just be a dream that turns into a new reality. They’re good at surpassing our simple expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
It still feels perplexing how this will take 7 more episodes. Didn't feel quite as strong of an opening 2 episodes. Or perhaps I am biased because I'm more looking forward to Falcon and The Winter Soldier, but they're done enough to color me intrigued. Can't wait to see how it unfolds (and hopefully continue to dodge spoilers online).

Falcon and Winter Soldier had been what I looked forward to the most since all of the initial announcements, and I still feel like it would have been a better transition series after Mandalorian S2. With these first two episodes being released the way that they were, the slow build feels slower with having to wait a week for the next episode to maybe reveal a bit more plot progression.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Falcon and Winter Soldier had been what I looked forward to the most since all of the initial announcements, and I still feel like it would have been a better transition series after Mandalorian S2. With these first two episodes being released the way that they were, the slow build feels slower with having to wait a week for the next episode to maybe reveal a bit more plot progression.
More hopeful for that one because it's being showrun by an Empire vet.
If anything, Loki now seems like the most obvious transition show after the past couple MCU movies. We've seen how the Avengers and Mysterio pulled off their respective heists. Loki gets to do that by himself all the while dealing with the organization that specializes in time and other worlds.

Unless it turns out WandaVision does really heavily bleed into these forthcoming projects, the smarter move might have been to save this for summer or fall 2021 as we get closer to the next Spidey sequel and Multiverse of Madness. Also, I've read that the next episode
does the same thing as these past two, but there's maybe probably a twist ending that definitively means something for ep 4. Hoping by that 4th episode, the 4th wall has been shattered OR the real world finally comes back into the picture even if there are still two more period-specific sitcoms to poke fun at.

Frontier

Staff member
It was an interesting touch to have the 2 commercials link to Wanda and Pietro's origins - the black market Stark Industries weapons killed their parents and reduced their home to rubble and HYDRA and Strucker experimenting on them with the Mind Stone.
Speaking...I've read somewhere that the pair in the commercials might actually be Wanda and Pietro's parents as the commercials represent all of their trauma.

reflection01

Speaking...I've read somewhere that the pair in the commercials might actually be Wanda and Pietro's parents as the commercials represent all of their trauma.

That’s a good theory. Except the story of their parents is not as limited now as it was for Age of Ultron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So...which episode are we thinking it might be?
I'd guess the 80s episode, if it's a Family Ties homage - Peters could be the annoying neighbor kid. :p

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
There were auditions for Wanda's kid where they were talking about being frightened by an uncle.

It is likely that Evan Peters could be playing Pietro or just a close friend in the manner where children are expected to use that term.

Still, that has to be the 90's episode considering the overabundance of toddlers in the set.

EDIT: Also I'm willing to bet the next episode will have some sort of commercial for a laundry related product called Quicksilver.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
That episode went by so much faster than I expected or wanted it to. This episode left me thinking of that one episode of The Twilight Zone with the kid who wishes anybody in the town who he thinks opposes him into the cornfield.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts