Looney Tunes Altered Versions Discussion v2 (or, the Looney Tunes Dumping Ground)

NewBogus :)

You're fired!
Those shorts have been released on HBO Max today.

-Young and Healthy
-The Girl at the Ironing Board
-Pettin' in the Park
-The Merry Old Soul
-Little Dutch Plate
-Flowers for Madame
-Porky the Rain-Maker
-The Village Smithy
-The Fire Alarm
-Plane Dippy
-Fish Tales
-When I Yoo Hoo
-Porky and Gabby
-Porky's Building
-Porky's Super Service
-Streamlined Greta Green
-Plenty of Money and You
-Sunbonnet Blue
-Rover's Rival
-Porky the Gob
-Porky's Naughty Nephew
-Porky's Spring Planting
-The Sneezing Weasel
-Porky's Five & Ten
-Count Me Out
-Pied Piper Porky
-Porky's Tire Trouble
-Dog Gone Modern
-Snowman's Land
-Fresh Fish
-Porky the Giant Killer
-Little Blabbermouse
-Stage Fright
-Wacky Wildlife
-The Haunted Mouse
-Porky's Snooze Reel
-The Cat's Tale
-Hobby Horse-Laffs
-The Impatient Patient
-Porky's Pastry Pirates
-Gopher Goofy
-The Squawkin' Hawk
-Fox Pop
-Greetings Bait
-Fin 'N Catty
-Meatless Flyday
-The Unruly Hare
-Fair and Wormer
-Along Came Daffy
-Little Orphan Airedale
-Two Gophers from Texas
-What's Brewin' Bruin
-Bone Sweet Bone
-The Rattled Rooster
-The Shell-Shocked Egg
-My Bunny Lies Over the Sea
-The Ducksters
-The Leghorn Blows at Midnight
-All A-Bir-r-r-d
-A Fractured Leghorn
-Bunker Hill Bunny
-Two's A Crowd
-Fox in a Fix
-His Hare Raising Tale
-A Hound for Trouble
-Room and Bird
-Sleep Time Possum
-The Wearing of the Grin
-Putty Tat Trouble
-A Bone for a Bone
-Tweety's S.O.S.
-Tweet Tweet Tweety
-Rabbit's Kin
-Water Water Every Hare
-Sock A Doodle Do
-Ain't She Tweet
-Mouse-Warming
-Terrier Stricken
-Fowl Weather
-Muscle Tussle
-Plop Goes the Weasel
-Don't Give Up the Sheep
-Snow Business
-Ant Pasted
-Duck Dodgers and the Return of the 24 1/2 Century
-I Gopher You
-Quack Shot
-Sheep Ahoy
-Hare Brush
-A Kiddie's Kitty
-Pests for Guests
-Tweety's Circus
-Rabbit Rampage
-Lumber Jerks
-Rabbitson Crusoe
-Tree Cornered Tweety
-Tugboat Granny
-Tweet and Sour
-Greedy For Tweety
-Tweet Zoo
-Hare-Less Wolf
-Now Hare This
-Pre-Hysterical Hare
-A Pizza Tweety-Pie
-A Waggily Tale
-To Itch His Own
-Hip Hip-Hurry
-Hot-Rod and Reel!
-Trick or Tweet
-Tweet and Lovely
-Tweet Dreams
-Hopalong Casualty
-Hyde and Go Tweet
-Rabbit's Feat
-Wild Wild World
-Ready, Woolen and Able
-Mice Follies
-Compressed Hare
-Prince Violent
-Zip N'Snort
-Lickety-Splat
-The Jet Cage
-Mother Was a Rooster
-Shishkabugs
-Wet Hare
-A Sheep in the Deep
-Quackodile Tears
-Zip Zip Hooray
-The Slick Chick
-Hare Breadth Hurry
-Woolen Under Where
-Tease for Two
-Rushing Roulette
-Tired and Feathered
-Just Plane Beep
-Merlin the Magic Mouse
-Cool Cat
-Big Game Haunt
-Hippydrome Tiger
-Feud with a Dude
-3 Ring Wing Ding
-Chimp & Zee
-Rabbit Stew and Rabbit Too
-Shamrock and Roll
-Portrait of the Artist as a Young Bunny
-Spaced Out Bunny
-Box Office Bunny
-Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers
-From Hare to Eternity

"When I Yoo Hoo", "Fresh Fish", "The Rattled Rooster" and "Two's a Crowd" have been released with recreated original opening and ending titles (except for "Yoo Hoo", which still has 1936 MM ending altered with 1945-46 MM one).
After short preview' looking, I can tell that "Greetings Bait" had its original reissue title card altered with "The Bug Parade" reissue opening rings. "The Cat's Tale" is the only short that hasn't been restored with open-matted opening rings. "Fox Pop", "Little Blabbermouse" and "Dog Gone Modern" use PAL 1995 Turner print audiotracks slowed down to 23fps. "Wacky Wildlife" for some reason has Roman numerals altered - MCMXXXVIII instead of MCMXL on its original reissue print (probably in honour of "Daffy Duck and Egghead" 90's print).
"Dog Gone Modern" has also Roman numerals altered (1941 instead of 1939), while "Little Dutch Plate" - 1945 instead of 1935.
"Fair and Worm-Er" was released with original soundtrack without any audio splices.
"Sleepy Time Possum" with original opening and ending rings was restored.
"The Shell Shocked Egg" with the same error as on "Bug Parade" and "Hop, Skip and a Chump" - one quote mark missing at the ending title card.
"Little Dutch Plate" also with 1959 MM ending title card for some reason instead of 1952-53 MM "THE END" closing
"Merry Old Soul" with quoting marks at the ending title card removed.
"The Cat's Tale" restored with original ending music cue instead of 1941-55 MM ending music cue.
"Little Blabbermouse" at the reissued opening title card uses rings taken from "Hollywood Steps Out", 1941.
"The Sneezing Weasel" uses 1944 MM opening rings for the rerelease print restoration on HBO Max, or WB/HBO Max editors accidentaly painted the central red ring into blue, this happened with snowtime for comedy also.
"The Fire Alarm's" soundtrack was sourced from a broadcast master with very poor sound quality and with the 1938-40 LT opening theme playing over the title card - Nickelodeon US airings.
It looks like the older prints of "The Cat's Tale" had a splice after the line "Accidents are happened..." told by the Cat, as an additional line for this scene has been added into the remastered print - "Accidents are happened, you know...".
"Prince Violent" - not only remastered with original titles (not the Varmint ones), but also with altered ending music cue - 1955-64 MM ending theme.
"I Gopher You" and "Wild About Hurry" seems to be newly remastered prints rather than the remastered ones that were aired by CN Japan. What's "I Gopher You" has also corrected the WB zooming shield effect music cue.
"The Ducksters", 1950 - the original ending music cue replaced with 1955-64 LT ending music theme.
"Ant Pasted", 1953 - the original ending title card replaced with 1955-56 LT ending title card with 1946-55 LT ending music cue.
"Woolen Under Where", "Hawaiian Aye Aye", "Mother with a Rooster", "Quackodile Tears" and "The Jet Cage" without fade-outs between "Merrie Melodies/Looney Tunes" opening logos and opening title cards.

Last edited:

wiley207

Here is my blog post about the new restorations!

StickerBoy

Here is my blog post about the new restorations!

Neat analysis and splendid discovery on that unique 'G' rating bumper there! None of us would've thought we'd see that on any of these other than the one you referred to there.

Also, I studied a little on the older televised prints of the Looney Tunes shorts from local station in Italy from the 90s and I did manage to find a couple oddities in the Italian title cards of a couple of shorts there.
6Uku7ba.png
UpwPsYE.png
Cx8clC5.png

The characters in these title cards I present here seem to be drawings of Hanna-Barbera stars Secret Squirrel, Winsome Witch, and Atom Ant, these drawing of which would be rather fitting for bootleg tapes.
Interestingly, these were from prints of (respectively) "Don't Axe Me," "His Bitter Half," and "Muscle Tuscle," all starring Daffy Duck.

You're fired!
The next batch of LT shorts have been released on HMAX today:
S1 Ep 23 - Corn On the Cop (instead of being put in S30 batch).
S1 Ep 32 - The Lady in Red
S2 Ep 9 - The Phantom Ship
S3 Ep 9 - Porky's Badtime Story
S7 Ep 16 - Porky's Bear Facts
S8 Ep 22 - Porky's Cafe
S11 Ep 21 - Of Thee I Sting
S16 Ep 19 - Leghorn Swoggled
S27 Ep 11 - Zoom at the Top
S31 Ep 10 - Freeze Frame
S31 Ep 11 - Fright Before Christmas
S31 Ep 13 - Daffy Flies North
S31 Ep 14 - The Yolks On You
S31 Ep 16 - Soup or Sonic

"The Lady in Red" and "Leghorn Swoggled" were released with their original opening and ending titles. However, the original title card music cue for "The Lady in Red" was lost, so WB put the first scene's music cue for the opening title card music cue.
"Of Thee I Sting"'s reissue opening title card was restored in correct format. However, the original ending music cue is replaced with 1941-55 MM ending music cue.
"Porky's Cafe" restored with Porky's signature cue (1936-37) at the opening titles.

Last edited:

Cool_Cat

@StickerBoy Those drawings were originally made for the dubs they made for the Atom Ant Show.

vlcsnap-2020-11-18-00h43m13s6.png

vlcsnap-2020-11-18-00h43m16s33.png

vlcsnap-2020-11-18-00h43m19s65.png

I have no idea why they recycled them for the Daffy Duck cartoons. Something similar happened with some Porky and Foghorn shorts where they used the Italian cards from Space Ghost. They're all part of the "Effe Elle Due" batch.

In any case, those versions you see on the local TVs are the versions originally aired in Italy, even by Mediaset channels. In fact, the rotation list they have is still the one based on those versions. Their "season 1" if the Effe Elle Due batch, the other with the blue cards in the case of Daffy Duck.

AllenJ

Several people have noticed some very strange Photoshop errors in the opening titles of certain cartoons on HBO Max ("Rbbert McKimson"? "R8bert McKimson"?)

Also, the 1979 made-for-TV short "Freeze Frame" has a brand-new, never-before-seen title sequence (which is especially odd because two other made-for-TV shorts, "Spaced-Out Bunny" and "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Bunny," are presented with their original CBS Saturday morning title cards even though full title sequences exist):

Attachments

• EmOurH1XMAI2bL-.jpg
    EmOurH1XMAI2bL-.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 765
  • El_4sfWWMAMRanK.jpg
    El_4sfWWMAMRanK.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 252
  • EmAuOiFWoAM-4rc.png
    EmAuOiFWoAM-4rc.png
    612.9 KB · Views: 220
  • ff1.png
    ff1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 236
  • ff2.png
    ff2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 183
  • ff3.png
    ff3.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 237

LooneyTuney18

So the Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary collection released a few days ago (and I'm waiting for my copy to come in the mailbox). Apparently it has Portughese audio besides English and French. Unfortunately though it seems that the following shorts still have those HBO Max edited title screens :/
* His Hare-Raising Tale
* Yankee Doodle Bugs
* Rabbitson Crusoe
* Hare-Less Wolf
* Now, Hare This
* Hare-Abian Nights
* Backwoods Bunny
* Wild and Woolly Hare
* Bonanza Bunny
* Rabbit's Feat
* Prince Violent
* The Unmentionables

But I'm still happy such a release could happen and I hope it paves the way to other (and better) character sets

LooneyTuney18

I noticed Odor of the Day on CN Japan has an odd 1998 disclaimer similar to those of the Stars of Space Jam shorts. I'm not sure at all but it may be the case for other shorts as well.
vlcsnap-2020-12-08-17h22m46s580.png

Cool_Cat

All the new HBO Max remasters were outsourced, besides the first batch of Bugs Bunny cartoons, which is why they took bad decisions like recreating the titles or recycling the audio from older masters.

Sadly WA is using these in recent home video releases to save money.

You're fired!
That makes sense.
WA forgot also to find other foreign redubbings for the recently released Bugs Bunny shorts on BD. I.e.: "A Wild Hare" is not available in Latin Portuguese, even though it was dubbed and aired by CN LA about 10 years ago.
Or "Upswept Hare" available in English on French audiotrack, even though that 1980's dub done for Canal+ exist.

Daffyrocks

Back from the dead.... or...?
Those shorts have been released on HBO Max today.

-Young and Healthy
-The Girl at the Ironing Board
-Pettin' in the Park
-The Merry Old Soul
-Little Dutch Plate
-Flowers for Madame
-Porky the Rain-Maker
-The Village Smithy
-The Fire Alarm
-Plane Dippy
-Fish Tales
-When I Yoo Hoo
-Porky and Gabby
-Porky's Building
-Porky's Super Service
-Streamlined Greta Green
-Plenty of Money and You
-Sunbonnet Blue
-Rover's Rival
-Porky the Gob
-Porky's Naughty Nephew
-Porky's Spring Planting
-The Sneezing Weasel
-Porky's Five & Ten
-Count Me Out
-Pied Piper Porky
-Porky's Tire Trouble
-Dog Gone Modern
-Snowman's Land
-Fresh Fish
-Porky the Giant Killer
-Little Blabbermouse
-Stage Fright
-Wacky Wildlife
-The Haunted Mouse
-Porky's Snooze Reel
-The Cat's Tale
-Hobby Horse-Laffs
-The Impatient Patient
-Porky's Pastry Pirates
-Gopher Goofy
-The Squawkin' Hawk
-Fox Pop
-Greetings Bait
-Fin 'N Catty
-Meatless Flyday
-The Unruly Hare
-Fair and Wormer
-Along Came Daffy
-Little Orphan Airedale
-Two Gophers from Texas
-What's Brewin' Bruin
-Bone Sweet Bone
-The Rattled Rooster
-The Shell-Shocked Egg
-My Bunny Lies Over the Sea
-The Ducksters
-The Leghorn Blows at Midnight
-All A-Bir-r-r-d
-A Fractured Leghorn
-Bunker Hill Bunny
-Two's A Crowd
-Fox in a Fix
-His Hare Raising Tale
-A Hound for Trouble
-Room and Bird
-Sleep Time Possum
-The Wearing of the Grin
-Putty Tat Trouble
-A Bone for a Bone
-Tweety's S.O.S.
-Tweet Tweet Tweety
-Rabbit's Kin
-Water Water Every Hare
-Sock A Doodle Do
-Ain't She Tweet
-Mouse-Warming
-Terrier Stricken
-Fowl Weather
-Muscle Tussle
-Plop Goes the Weasel
-Don't Give Up the Sheep
-Snow Business
-Ant Pasted
-Duck Dodgers and the Return of the 24 1/2 Century
-I Gopher You
-Quack Shot
-Sheep Ahoy
-Hare Brush
-A Kiddie's Kitty
-Pests for Guests
-Tweety's Circus
-Rabbit Rampage
-Lumber Jerks
-Rabbitson Crusoe
-Tree Cornered Tweety
-Tugboat Granny
-Tweet and Sour
-Greedy For Tweety
-Tweet Zoo
-Hare-Less Wolf
-Now Hare This
-Pre-Hysterical Hare
-A Pizza Tweety-Pie
-A Waggily Tale
-To Itch His Own
-Hip Hip-Hurry
-Hot-Rod and Reel!
-Trick or Tweet
-Tweet and Lovely
-Tweet Dreams
-Hopalong Casualty
-Hyde and Go Tweet
-Rabbit's Feat
-Wild Wild World
-Ready, Woolen and Able
-Mice Follies
-Compressed Hare
-Prince Violent
-Zip N'Snort
-Lickety-Splat
-The Jet Cage
-Mother Was a Rooster
-Shishkabugs
-Wet Hare
-A Sheep in the Deep
-Quackodile Tears
-Zip Zip Hooray
-The Slick Chick
-Hare Breadth Hurry
-Woolen Under Where
-Tease for Two
-Rushing Roulette
-Tired and Feathered
-Just Plane Beep
-Merlin the Magic Mouse
-Cool Cat
-Big Game Haunt
-Hippydrome Tiger
-Feud with a Dude
-3 Ring Wing Ding
-Chimp & Zee
-Rabbit Stew and Rabbit Too
-Shamrock and Roll
-Portrait of the Artist as a Young Bunny
-Spaced Out Bunny
-Box Office Bunny
-Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers
-From Hare to Eternity

"When I Yoo Hoo", "Fresh Fish", "The Rattled Rooster" and "Two's a Crowd" have been released with recreated original opening and ending titles (except for "Yoo Hoo", which still has 1936 MM ending altered with 1945-46 MM one).
After short preview' looking, I can tell that "Greetings Bait" had its original reissue title card altered with "The Bug Parade" reissue opening rings. "The Cat's Tale" is the only short that hasn't been restored with open-matted opening rings. "Fox Pop", "Little Blabbermouse" and "Dog Gone Modern" use PAL 1995 Turner print audiotracks slowed down to 23fps. "Wacky Wildlife" for some reason has Roman numerals altered - MCMXXXVIII instead of MCMXL on its original reissue print (probably in honour of "Daffy Duck and Egghead" 90's print).
"Dog Gone Modern" has also Roman numerals altered (1941 instead of 1939), while "Little Dutch Plate" - 1945 instead of 1935.
"Fair and Worm-Er" was released with original soundtrack without any audio splices.
"Sleepy Time Possum" with original opening and ending rings was restored.
"The Shell Shocked Egg" with the same error as on "Bug Parade" and "Hop, Skip and a Chump" - one quote mark missing at the ending title card.
"Little Dutch Plate" also with 1959 MM ending title card for some reason instead of 1952-53 MM "THE END" closing
"Merry Old Soul" with quoting marks at the ending title card removed.
"The Cat's Tale" restored with original ending music cue instead of 1941-55 MM ending music cue.
"Little Blabbermouse" at the reissued opening title card uses rings taken from "Hollywood Steps Out", 1941.
"The Sneezing Weasel" uses 1944 MM opening rings for the rerelease print restoration on HBO Max, or WB/HBO Max editors accidentaly painted the central red ring into blue, this happened with snowtime for comedy also.
"The Fire Alarm's" soundtrack was sourced from a broadcast master with very poor sound quality and with the 1938-40 LT opening theme playing over the title card - Nickelodeon US airings.
It looks like the older prints of "The Cat's Tale" had a splice after the line "Accidents are happened..." told by the Cat, as an additional line for this scene has been added into the remastered print - "Accidents are happened, you know...".
"Prince Violent" - not only remastered with original titles (not the Varmint ones), but also with altered ending music cue - 1955-64 MM ending theme.
"I Gopher You" and "Wild About Hurry" seems to be newly remastered prints rather than the remastered ones that were aired by CN Japan. What's "I Gopher You" has also corrected the WB zooming shield effect music cue.
"The Ducksters", 1950 - the original ending music cue replaced with 1955-64 LT ending music theme.
"Ant Pasted", 1953 - the original ending title card replaced with 1955-56 LT ending title card with 1946-55 LT ending music cue.
"Woolen Under Where", "Hawaiian Aye Aye", "Mother with a Rooster", "Quackodile Tears" and "The Jet Cage" without fade-outs between "Merrie Melodies/Looney Tunes" opening logos and opening title cards.
Plus, for some reason "The Ducksters" is in low-pitched audio, even though it wasn't like that on the Golden Collection sets. My guess is that they outsourced a PAL master for the audiotrack, as some PAL dubbings of the short (e.g. the Polish one for Canal+) were indeed left in NTSC pitch while the framerate speed was still fastened. That would make sense.

LooneyTuney18

Plus, for some reason "The Ducksters" is in low-pitched audio, even though it wasn't like that on the Golden Collection sets. My guess is that they outsourced a PAL master for the audiotrack, as some PAL dubbings of the short (e.g. the Polish one for Canal+) were indeed left in NTSC pitch while the framerate speed was still fastened. That would make sense.
Indeed, besides Big Top Bunny has the same issue and some pre-48 shorts have altered endings like in their EU dubbed versions.

Marsh

EmitterCollector

Just another brick in the wall... of Wackyland!
Of interesting note, I came across a rip of LTGC Vol 3 officially dubbed in Romanian. Interesting to hear a few shorts I have never seen during early 2000s Cartoon Network dubs (done by Zone Studio Oradea), like The Film Fan, Hollywood Capers, Porky Pig's Feat, as well as Porky and Teabiscuit.

One thing I can tell is they did them at a different studio than Oradea, as the voice is different for the title card announcer, as well as the ending cards are left undubbed for B/W LT shorts, while Merrie Melodies just have him say "The End".

Anyone know what studio could have it been involved in dubbing the Golden Collection series?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts