Why don't they make an adult Marvel animation (not like xxx)

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Not a movie really but something I just remembered was around 2006 Sony announced a straight to DVD 13 episode Spider-Man series, there was a big press release about it and everything. Some people were wondering if that was more of The New Animated Series or something else, but I believe that morphed into The Spectacular Spider-Man and didn't end up being made straight for DVD so Sony has never really gone far with the idea of making special animated Spidey content that specific way really.

Frontier

Staff member
Not a movie really but something I just remembered was around 2006 Sony announced a straight to DVD 13 episode Spider-Man series, there was a big press release about it and everything. Some people were wondering if that was more of The New Animated Series or something else, but I believe that morphed into The Spectacular Spider-Man and didn't end up being made straight for DVD so Sony has never really gone far with the idea of making special animated Spidey content that specific way really.
This reminds me of how initially there was a plan for each 3-episode arc in Spec to get released in a "movie" format on DVD with additional scenes...

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
This reminds me of how initially there was a plan for each 3-episode arc in Spec to get released in a "movie" format on DVD with additional scenes...
Yeah, I had the Attack of The Lizard or whatever the first and only one released was called and it was pretty cool, pretty seamless transitions into the next episodes and they replaced the laser sounds in the TV show when guns were fired with real bullet sounds. I think some of the later episodes there were scenes cut that would have been in the movies, like Shocker not getting arrested in the Sinister Six episode, getting rescued by Fancy Dan and Ox impersonating police officers, and the Rhino looking up the other Peter Parker in the phone book and it turning out to be a blind sax player in the Rhino episode. I forget why they stopped doing that after the first release, since they did release every other arc of the show as an individual DVD but just as the episodes...

RoryWilliams

Well with the pandemic raging, animation is a way to produce content when you cannot have actors shoot on location anymore, so there still could be some more animated content aimed at adults in the near future due to the current situation.
Marvel has already resumed filming on their live-action TV projects. Hawkeye and Ms. Marvel are shooting in New York and Atlanta as we speak.

I'm not trying to burst any bubbles here, but I don't think animation is gonna be overtaking Marvel's live-action output anytime soon. We'll see how What If? turns out, but right now they don't really have the incentive to do PG-13 or TV MA animation right now.

bigdaddy313

Marvel has already resumed filming on their live-action TV projects. Hawkeye and Ms. Marvel are shooting in New York and Atlanta as we speak.

I'm not trying to burst any bubbles here, but I don't think animation is gonna be overtaking Marvel's live-action output anytime soon. We'll see how What If? turns out, but right now they don't really have the incentive to do PG-13 or TV MA animation right now.
Marvel Studios is making live action shows and movies in-house and Animation are out sourced to third party Animation companies so I won’t be surprised when they announce new shows apart from What-IF?

Animation is the highest viewed entertainment in streaming so their is no way in God’s green earth that Disney doesn’t want a piece of that pie.

RoryWilliams

Marvel Studios is making live action shows and movies in-house and Animation are out sourced to third party Animation companies so I won’t be surprised when they announce new shows apart from What-IF?

Animation is the highest viewed entertainment in streaming so their is no way in God’s green earth that Disney doesn’t want a piece of that pie.
There will absolutely be more Marvel animation. It was the claim that Coronavirus means there will be less live-action and therefore more adult animation that I was disputing. At least in relation to Marvel, whose live-action projects are moving forward in spite of the virus.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts