"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

tykroma94

Honestly, I wish Toonami could get the airing rights to Appare-Ranman. That show is pretty good for an original anime. It feels like a Toonami show to me tbh.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Honestly, I wish Toonami could get the airing rights to Appare-Ranman. That show is pretty good for an original anime. It feels like a Toonami show to me tbh.

Didn't watch it because the dub is paywalled, but Mother's Basement really loved it and looks awesome. Being acclaimed by any major anime website and/or youtuber is a pretty big deal because it feels like almost all of the major action titles of 2020 have been panned. With Gridman airing, it looks like Toonami might be stepping a little out of its shonen comfort zone it's been in for the last half decade. Feels like shows like this would be more likely to air 2012-2015 Toonami than today's Toonami. Dub is still happening pretty slow it looks like so that's probably why it's not not airing yet. Considering that Gemusetto and SAO are about the same length, maybe this show could be the other replacement, but there's also Attack on Titan, which will probably only have a few dubbed episodes out. This show seems like a safer bet considering that circumstance and the general shonen fatigue of the audience.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
There's also Attack on Titan, which will probably only have a few dubbed episodes out.
I'm glad you brought that up, since Attack on Titan is going to present an interesting dilemma. If the trend of past seasons continues, there seems to be a contract between Adult Swim and Funimation which allows Toonami to air the AoT dub first (it would've been written before Funimation went all-in with their own streaming service, so it made sense back in 2014). Episodes always got posted on FunimationNow after the Toonami broadcast, and they'd issue a PR statement apologizing any time Toonami did a marathon that interrupted AoT (which happened two or three times during season 2 in particular).

The issue is, how is being contractually required to run the dub first on linear television (and thus needing to reliably broadcast on a weekly basis) going to work when remote dubbing makes keeping a consistent weekly broadcast difficult? Will Funimation push through and get Toonami to air it ASAP, risking gap weeks but boosting their own bottom line (FunimationNow subscriptions), or bite the bullet and delay the dub outright until such a time that they have enough episodes in the can for Toonami to reliably air it?

TheCartoonRailfan

Where's my senior discount?
Considering that Adult Swim will lose Family Guy and Bob's Burgers in Fall 2021, how do you think this will affect Toonami and the anime programming? Could more anime air under the AS name or could American action cartoons come back to Toonami?

tykroma94

I'm down with that, as well as Deca-Dence. Both of those shows would be solid picks for Toonami!
You just figured my thoughts out Exactly as I pictured them lmao. I was just thinking that about Deca-Dence airing on Toonami too. I haven't seen Deca-Dence yet but from what I've heard it's good except for that plot twist in the 2nd episode. I hope Demarco considers bringing Appare to the block, but I don't want my OP to be cut for stupid ads.

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
Considering that Adult Swim will lose Family Guy and Bob's Burgers in Fall 2021, how do you think this will affect Toonami and the anime programming? Could more anime air under the AS name or could American action cartoons come back to Toonami?

It is far more likely they'll just load the schedule up with more reruns of what they do have, plus whatever's coming in 2021. Anime is too expensive to replace all the timeslots those two shows currently have.

DonkeyKongSong

Bob's Burgers is leaving in 2023.

But I do believe it is possible for the Dragon Ball shows and My Hero Academia to return to weekdays after it does leave, as the only [as] originals that they'd want to keep in the Cartoon Network leadin/out slots are Samurai Jack and Home Movies. All the others they usually don't keep there for long, mostly because they're too edgy.

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
But I do believe it is possible for the Dragon Ball shows and My Hero Academia to return to weekdays after it does leave, as the only [as] originals that they'd want to keep in the Cartoon Network leadin/out slots are Samurai Jack and Home Movies. All the others they usually don't keep there for long, mostly because they're too edgy.

Final Space would be a nice lead-in. I could see them putting those two on weekdays though. We could also see the originals coming next year (Fena: Pirate Princess and Uzumaki) on weekdays due to them having full/the majority of rights, though based on what we've seen of their mature content level probably not as transition shows.

I don't see anything else on Toonami airing on weekdays though, not only due to the expenses of anime versus the ratings but due to content level. As much as Assassination Classroom has the tone of a children's show, parents would have a fit if they came in at 9:05 and saw kids on TV calling their busty teacher Professor B***h and talking about their plans to assassinate their teacher.

DonkeyKongSong

Final Space would be a nice lead-in. I could see them putting those two on weekdays though. We could also see the originals coming next year (Fena: Pirate Princess and Uzumaki) on weekdays due to them having full/the majority of rights, though based on what we've seen of their mature content level probably not as transition shows.

I don't see anything else on Toonami airing on weekdays though, not only due to the expenses of anime versus the ratings but due to content level. As much as Assassination Classroom has the tone of a children's show, parents would have a fit if they came in at 9:05 and saw kids on TV calling their busty teacher Professor B***h and talking about their plans to assassinate their teacher.

I forgot about Final Space. I've seen a few episodes and it's fairly tame compared to the other comedies. It already was the leadin on Sundays for awhile.

I don't see it airing on weekdays for awhile, though, mostly because they don't usually air things with less than 52 episodes like that and even before COVID, it had a very slow production schedule.

I'm still wondering what will be pre-empted the night of Gemusetto's season finale. Will it be Assassination Classroom, Naruto Shippuden, or Demon Slayer?

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
Man, I knew about the QR code that would be on screen during the Primal marathon, but this looks ugly as hell actually seeing it constantly there in my peripheral vision as I try to watch the show.

Vampire_King

Banned

so toonami decides naruto shippudden should be the show that's off on december 19th to make way for the Gemusetto death beats finale....

which makes no sense to me because that means they somehow thought it was more expendable than the demon slayer rerun

Light Lucario

Staff member

so toonami decides naruto shippudden should be the show that's off on december 19th to make way for the Gemusetto death beats finale....

which makes no sense to me because that means they somehow thought it was more expendable than the demon slayer rerun

It makes sense to me. Demon Slayer reruns probably cost more for Toonami to air than Shippuden, so that might make it more of a priority. While Shippuden episodes are technically new for Toonami, they've been available for ages and I'm pretty sure that the entire series has been dubbed by this point too. Shippuden does pretty well for itself on the block given its timeslot and how most fans probably already got the DVDs by this point, but I don't think people would be upset over it being taken off the lineup for one week.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Nick KCA press site is now gone

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs

Featured Posts