"Peanuts" Specials broadcast rights/schedule (UPDATE: Not renewed by PBS in 2022)

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I give him slight benefit, since the primary way I watch ABC is through cable, but yeah he really should have said broadcast TV.

Hmm, that's fair. I haven't had cable in years, which has made me appreciate more what does get aired on "over the air/antenna" TV.

hobbyfan

Don't know who's in charge of WildBrain, but they've conned the Schulz estate to play along with this because of the money that comes out of it.

The timing of the announcement, less than two weeks before Halloween, is dubious.

Do yourselves a favor, Apple. Throw a bone or two. Show you care about cartoon fans when it comes to classic animation.

Mr Flintstone

Don't know who's in charge of WildBrain, but they've conned the Schulz estate to play along with this because of the money that comes out of it.

The timing of the announcement, less than two weeks before Halloween, is dubious.

Do yourselves a favor, Apple. Throw a bone or two. Show you care about cartoon fans when it comes to classic animation.
It’s a no-brainer that they should at least license these specials out to a network.

Corwin Haught

They've conned the Schulz estate to play along with this because of the money that comes out of it.

Why would it be a con when the Schultz people are getting what they want out of it? Ol' Sparky left behind no opinion on streaming services, a medium which did not exist during his lifetime, and the current people there have never shown any commitment to over-the-air broadcasting.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Yeah, as much as I don't like the idea of Peanuts specials not airing on TV this year, claiming that Apple conned the Schulz estate is a pretty huge leap. I don't know how much money they had to pay to get exclusive rights to these specials, but it probably wasn't cheap. For all we know, the Schulz estate thought it was a good deal since streaming is becoming more mainstream and it's hard to say how the TV industry will look in just a couple of years at this point.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Yeah, as much as I don't like the idea of Peanuts specials not airing on TV this year, claiming that Apple conned the Schulz estate is a pretty huge leap. I don't know how much money they had to pay to get exclusive rights to these specials, but it probably wasn't cheap. For all we know, the Schulz estate thought it was a good deal since streaming is becoming more mainstream and it's hard to say how the TV industry will look in just a couple of years at this point.

I don't have cable and I've fully embraced all streaming services (well, except I don't have Apple TV yet, as I don't have an ipad or iphone, but I could see myself enrolling for their streaming service).

So I'm all for "Streaming services are the future", but....there's something to be said for tradition, and up until all local "over the air" (ABC, NBC, CBS) antenna channels are completely shut down in favor of an online digital version, I think it would be good to have it broadcast on local TV each year.

....And actually, I don't know if they'll ever shut down "over the air/antenna" channels completely.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
In general, think broadcast TV services a purpose there are areas and people lacking internet, it provides a service if there's weather that's urgent.

Going with Peanuts Specials, I said this before, I've always wanted them to be on streaming (all of them) but still want them on network TV, I think there should have been a dual approach to the specials, and they really missed the ball with that.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Going with Peanuts Specials, I said this before, I've always wanted them to be on streaming (all of them) but still want them on network TV, I think there should have been a dual approach to the specials, and they really missed the ball with that.

I agree. I don't mind the cartoons being on streaming, but as long it stays on broadcast TV, I'll be okay with it.

I don't know what's up with Apple TV and Wildbrain in this situation? They seems to focus on one thing than the other instead of going for a nice balance.

Then again, I don't usually watch the Peanuts cartoons on TV(I mostly check them out online anytime I want anyways), so it didn't really affect me all that much. But as a Peanuts fan, it's devastated me.

hobbyfan

In general, think broadcast TV services a purpose there are areas and people lacking internet, it provides a service if there's weather that's urgent.

Then maybe Apple and/or the Schulz estate & WildBrain could've negotiated something for broadcast rights, which by extension could promote Apple..!

wiley207

Then maybe Apple and/or the Schulz estate & WildBrain could've negotiated something for broadcast rights, which by extension could promote Apple..!
Yeah, that would be a good idea. They could've let FOX run the Peanuts specials, since they ran "Happiness is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown" back in 2011-2013, and also besides that "Ice Age" Christmas special, FOX does not have any other family-oriented holiday specials, to my knowledge.
Or maybe CBS would be willing to start broadcasting the Peanuts specials again. Even though they've already got the original "Rudolph" and "Frosty" specials (and their unofficial "sequel" "Frosty Returns"), along with the "Robbie the Reindeer" and "The Story of Santa Claus" specials, I'm sure they could still allow room for the Peanuts specials; during the holidays they could air "A Charlie Brown Christmas" in the same way ABC did, paired with the "Charlie Brown's Christmas Tales" segments, and also air the other popular classics paired up with later lesser-known specials or whatnot that are edited to allow for the popular/older special to be shown in their entirety, and CBS would probably actually promote them and not just sentence them to death slots the way ABC did.
With that said, I really doubt ABC would want to run them again, given said death slot treatment or promoting the newer Disney and Pixar-produced specials more over the Peanuts classics (again. what with Disney owning ABC.) And I don't think NBC would be interested, either, since they'd have newer DreamWorks-produced specials airing instead...
And all the while, whoever gets broadcast rights they could still promote AppleTV+ and their Peanuts library during the specials' commercial breaks. A fair trade!

hobbyfan

I think the networks' collective attitude is that there isn't an audience for the older specials, which is why, aside from probably How The Grinch Stole Christmas, which shifted to cable a few years back, the classic specials have been phased out. Rudolph, for example, is a seasonally themed entry, while the Peanuts series of specials cover different themes and holidays throughout the year. They're available on DVD, too, which contributes to the network indifference.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
I think the networks' collective attitude is that there isn't an audience for the older specials, which is why, aside from probably How The Grinch Stole Christmas, which shifted to cable a few years back, the classic specials have been phased out. Rudolph, for example, is a seasonally themed entry, while the Peanuts series of specials cover different themes and holidays throughout the year. They're available on DVD, too, which contributes to the network indifference.
That I can believe that when we're talking about the primary target of the prime-time ratings (the 18-49 crowd), as the only Christmas specials that I try to catch each year are the Peanuts ones. That doesn't mean there's not an audience when it comes to those outside the target demographics (as kids would want to watch these specials, and it provides some sort of network outing for older viewers who may not be into the stuff that is currently airing on TV).

Of course, that could also explain why CBS would air their specials on Friday and Saturday (as those are the two days where the target audience would rather go out than watch TV).

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Todays the first day of the period free thing.
1. You still have to sign in still with an Apple ID, if you go an make one, you have to enter in a credit card (that says it won't be charged but they want it anyway) (they want that data collection) This is kind of tedious and might turn people off .... , but yeah that's a dumb hindrance.
2. It's only the Great Pumpkin special so not Election special this time
3. It is unedited and the picture quality is nice and it's 4:3 not stretched!

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
The Thanksgiving special will apparently air on the PBS Kids channel on November 22.

Both The Thanksgiving and Christmas specials are going to air on both PBS and PBS Kids channel

The Thanksgiving and Christmas specials are going to air on both PBS and PBS KIDS

November 22nd and December 13th respective
Thanks PBS !

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts