"DC Showcase (Animated Shorts)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Here's another clip.

So, wait, Vincent Martella is playing Red Hood in that sequence as well? I mean, no offense to him, but people are probably going to be disappointed that Jensen Ackle's isn't Jason as Red Hood if he actually gets dialogue :sweat:.
Maybe he didn't have enough time off from Supernatural to work on this? Plus, these DC Showcase shorts usually only have 4-6 voice actors, and if Jensen was going to be in it, they would've said so.

Frontier

Staff member
Here's another clip.

Jason should've listened :(.
Maybe he didn't have enough time off from Supernatural to work on this? Plus, these DC Showcase shorts usually only have 4-6 voice actors, and if Jensen was going to be in it, they would've said so.
I get the cast was pared down, but with Ackles so recognizable as Red Hood, and popular too, I wasn't expecting them to actually give Red Hood new lines in this :confused:.
I guess they cut out Cheetah getting her brains blown out that we'll see in the proper film :sweat:.

Still don't get why she's in this movie...

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I get the cast was pared down, but with Ackles so recognizable as Red Hood, and popular too, I wasn't expecting them to actually give Red Hood new lines in this :confused:.
It's also a unique cost effective situation. Back then for Under the Red Hood, Vincent Martella was the same age as the Jason Todd he voiced - a teenager - then 10 years later (well 8 or 9 depending on when they recorded) for Death in the Family, he's in his mid-20s. Kinda made sense to have Martella voice both ages this time around. Though I have a feeling if Red Hood ever has a starring role in another DTV, we may see Ackles reprise the role. Though I think Josh Keaton, Yuri Lowenthal, Jason Spisak, Troy Baker, and Cameron Bowen have all voiced an adult Jason Todd/Red Hood in other DTVs or games, too.

Frontier

Staff member
It's also a unique cost effective situation. Back then for Under the Red Hood, Vincent Martella was the same age as the Jason Todd he voiced - a teenager - then 10 years later (well 8 or 9 depending on when they recorded) for Death in the Family, he's in his mid-20s. Kinda made sense to have Martella voice both ages this time around. Though I have a feeling if Red Hood ever has a starring role in another DTV, we may see Ackles reprise the role. Though I think Josh Keaton, Yuri Lowenthal, Jason Spisak, Troy Baker, and Cameron Bowen have all voiced an adult Jason Todd/Red Hood in other DTVs or games, too.
I get it from a practical standpoint, and it'll be interesting to see how Martella sounds as Red Hood, although I expect a lot of "where's Jensen Ackles?" comments from people watching the Red Hood content :sweat:.

As for the bolded...I think the funniest part is how most of them have also voiced other Robins :p.

Otaku-sempai

I've been debating with myself whether the DC Showcase collections (not considering the individual shorts themselves) should be considered to be part of the DC Universe Animated Movie line. However, they don't seem to have ever been marketed as part of that line, so I am leaning toward the idea now that they should be kept separate. I don't think they were ever officially counted among the other films anyway. Is this even really a valid question or have I been overthinking it?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
You answered your own query. DC Showcase, even Superman/Shazam! and Death in the Family, are shorts. These two are just longer in runtime but are still classified as shorts. The DC Universe line are only the movies. Showcase are just bonus features within the movie releases. Even the front cover of Death in the Family has the line "DC Showcase Animated Shorts" whereas the movies have "DC Universe Movie Line" on their front covers.

Otaku-sempai

You answered your own query. DC Showcase, even Superman/Shazam! and Death in the Family, are shorts. These two are just longer in runtime but are still classified as shorts. The DC Universe line are only the movies. Showcase are just bonus features within the movie releases. Even the front cover of Death in the Family has the line "DC Showcase Animated Shorts" whereas the movies have "DC Universe Movie Line" on their front covers.
Well, remember that I am not talking about the individual shorts (including the extended ones) but about the collections as a whole. Aside from that, though, I think we are in agreement!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well, remember that I am not talking about the individual shorts (including the extended ones) but about the collections as a whole. Aside from that, though, I think we are in agreement!
No, I think these two collections are more like 'season sets' to me, not counted as movie releases.

Otaku-sempai

No, I think these two collections are more like 'season sets' to me, not counted as movie releases.
At least not as part of the DCUAOM line. We could still call them anthology films (though without the benefit of a framing device linking the shorts together); it's probably more technically accurate to call them 'collections'. Warner's own marketing (including the packaging) labels Batman: Death in the Family as an "interactive movie".

1602251326376.png

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
At least not as part of the DCUAOM line. We could still call them anthology films (though without the benefit of a framing device linking the shorts together); it's probably more technically accurate to call them 'collections'. Warner's own marketing (including the packaging) labels Batman: Death in the Family as an "interactive movie".
Draw your own conclusions I guess, but I am going to say this discussion has reached its natural end in this thread.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts