If you could, would you go back & change something in Justice League Animated?

Dusty

Superman.
9/12:I love what we got, I won’t lie and say I loved the last season of JLU more than anything, but that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate the work that went into it ... and I did enjoy it. lol
I have a couple things I’d want to change though, but first, what about you folks? What would you change or maybe explore more, if you could? ✌
*I’ll say mine after I lure everyone into commenting First. ;)

9/13: you all called my bluf, curses!!!

I want a DCAU DTV series like James Tucker did With his DCA:DTV releases.
*I’d think it’d be cool to see everyone 13-years later and have the show take place 13-14 years in the future, just some minor character changes since they were should have only been in their late 20’s early 30’s. So maybe have a few design tweaks (broken record, but it’s a great time for Season 1 designs for WW and Superman to come back (my avatar is my favorite Superman design.) *I like the cheekbone lines as he looks like the live-action Superman: Henry Cavill... and I also LOVE the more vibrant and better colors and better proportions from the first season...
AD28EE00-2416-4146-A97E-FF2C8CFA6134.jpeg

D2F06581-14CF-4044-A61D-67569522B20A.jpeg
but I think it would be cool.

Mod Note: Double Post Merged. Image size reduced to suitable thumbnail size, originals are too big and against rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Patience. There was deluge of material to go over this weekend because of FanDome, were you surprised there were no responses?

What I'd change is hard to put into words. But Wonder Woman would be tweaked. Her series arc got muddled over time, and I think more focus on her would have tied things better together. Idk, does that make sense?

What I would like to see explored more is an easier answer for me that what I would change: more JLU Beyond.

#TeamMike

Have Metallo, Toyman, and Livewire voiced by their proper VA's in Hereafter. It's a great episode (especially part 2), but those voices bother me and it's a wrinkle on an otherwise excellent episode.

While I think "Destroyer" was the perfect ending for JLU, I wish the final season had been 26 episodes instead of 13. We could have gotten a Mxy episode with the League, an episode with the Spectre/Phantom Stranger, and perhaps more focus on lesser known Leaguers which the show didn't cover.

khuddle

This applies to Justice League generally -- by which I mean JL TAS, JLU TAS and the DC Animated JL movies afterwards:

Ditch Cyborg

Bring back Hawkgirl

(I miss Shayera tremendously).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
This applies to Justice League generally -- by which I mean JL TAS, JLU TAS and the DC Animated JL movies afterwards:

Ditch Cyborg

Bring back Hawkgirl

(I miss Shayera tremendously).
Please stay on topic, the thread is only about the 2 Justice League animated series not the unrelated DTV line of movies.

Dusty

Superman.
Patience. There was deluge of material to go over this weekend because of FanDome, were you surprised there were no responses?

What I'd change is hard to put into words. But Wonder Woman would be tweaked. Her series arc got muddled over time, and I think more focus on her would have tied things better together. Idk, does that make sense?

What I would like to see explored more is an easier answer for me that what I would change: more JLU Beyond.
I had no idea that was still going. Apologies.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I'm always of the mindset that I wouldn't change anything about these shows. I'm not a writer or an animator, so I'm hardly qualified to critique decisions in any serious way. I loved JL/JLU... in fact, I'm recently working my way through yet another rewatch and it holds up as always (It might even be Bruce Timm and co's magnum opus).

So here are some things I would have liked more of:

1.) Another (possibly final) season - I understand that James Tucker said they were running out of stem with the final 13 episodes, but I'm sure they had another 13 in them. It didn't matter what the theme or concept of the season would have been, I just wanted a little more time with these iterations of the characters.

2.) The Phantom Stranger - I just think it's a shame we never got to see this character in the DCAU. Who knonws what the story could have been, but it would have been fun.

3.) More Wonder Woman - She was the least featured member of the original seven, right? She also arguably had the smallest narrative drive of the original seven. Perhaps Timm and Co were restricted in how they could use her? She felt like a reactionary character most of the time. Another reason WW desperately needs her own solo series.

4.) Batman/Shayera - I LOVED their interactions and we simply never got enough of them. Their relationship was interesting, being such strong personalities. Their banter was great in 'Shadow of the Hawk' and the JLU comic featuring them was fun as well. Batman/Hawkgirl DTV, anyone?

Overall, I guess I just wanted more and JL/JLU is still the best DC Comics Team-Up show ever made.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
1.) Another (possibly final) season - I understand that James Tucker said they were running out of stem with the final 13 episodes, but I'm sure they had another 13 in them. It didn't matter what the theme or concept of the season would have been, I just wanted a little more time with these iterations of the characters.
Yeah, it was a brief chat but they did have some ideas like a season long arc of the JLU traveling through time and meeting more name DC characters/teams or a whole season in the Batman Beyond era (hence my pick).
ToyFare Magazine 108 said:
Bruce Timm said, "We had talked just briefly about doing 13 more episodes; we had an idea of doing something that would be a season-long journey through time. It would give us a chance to revisit a bunch of DC heroes from different [time] periods. We'd go to the far future and see the Atomic Knights, have an adventure with Enemy Ace during World War I, or do something again in the Old West. And there was also talk of possibly doing a whole season [...] in the Batman Beyond universe"
And then something of a mystery but the late Dwayne McDuffie said he seeded something in "Alive!" based on some idea from James Tucker in case they got renewed. But alas, last I asked, Tucker couldn't remember what it was.

2.) The Phantom Stranger - I just think it's a shame we never got to see this character in the DCAU. Who knonws what the story could have been, but it would have been fun.
True, it could have been something rad like the version on Brave/Bold or the recent DC Showcase short.

3.) More Wonder Woman - She was the least featured member of the original seven, right? She also arguably had the smallest narrative drive of the original seven. Perhaps Timm and Co were restricted in how they could use her? She felt like a reactionary character most of the time. Another reason WW desperately needs her own solo series.
Yes! Well said. But yeah, they were kinda hamstrung at the time. In the Justice League Season One DVD, it was talked about a little - there was a Wonder Embargo starting in the late 90s/early 2000s when WB was first trying to make a live action movie and that put the kibosh on a large volume of appearances of WW, her rogues, and her supporting cast. I wonder how much they had to fight to use characters like Hippolyta or Steve Trevor in season 1.

4.) Batman/Shayera - I LOVED their interactions and we simply never got enough of them. Their relationship was interesting, being such two strong personalities. Their banter was great in 'Shadow of the Hawk' and the JLU comic featuring them was fun as well. Batman/Hawkgirl DTV, anyone?
Huhn. That's a really good point. Them solving a case together would have been really entertaining.

khuddle

Remove the Utra-Humanite. Huge ape with a genius intellect? Sorry that position is already filled.
Say hello to Gorilla Grodd.

Cartoonfan13

The Riddler and Scarecrow in the Legion of Doom

More focus on Wonder Women

Phantom Stranger Appearance.

A Joker Cameo.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Cartoonfan13 pointed out Riddler Scarecrow and Joker but that leads to a larger problem that if I could go back and change something for JLU I would totally overturn: the Batembargo. For those who don't know, Justice League Unlimited was unable to use a majority of Batman's Rogue gallery in it's 3 seasons. Why? Because WB wanted to promote the new Batman series The Batman (which in turn related to promoting the Chris Noaln DC films that were about to start) and didn't want to dillute the characters too much by having multiple variations of them. Which yeah is stupid and quite frankly I am so glad is no longer a thing anymore and should not have been a thing at the time. As yeah Joker actually WAS supposed to make a cameo in "This Little Piggy" (right after Wonder Woman got transformed joker would of been Batman carrying the transformed Wonder Pig in his arms instead of trying to stop him robbing a bank and have called the robbery off much to the confusion of his gang) and I'm sure other Batman rogues would of appeared in The Legion of Doom if they could of. If I could overturn old decisions they would of and we'd like at least have seen them in the third season possibly having focus in an ep of season 2 as well in a proposed extension idea of untapped potential at the time that could be tapped now.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
The Bat-embargo was frustrating, but I don't think it impacted JLU too badly. We didn't really need to see the Bat-Family or Rogues during the Cadmus arc or the Legion of Doom. It would have been nice, but not a deal breaker.

The only villian I would have liked to have seen on either JLU or The Batman was Ra's Al Ghul. It's a real shame that neither show was able to use him as I would have loved to have seen a Tower of Babel or Apocalypse '09 style story in JLU or a a more epic globe-trotting adveture with Ra's in The Batman.

It's all the more frustrating considering that, while I love Batman Begins, we got an utterly watered down, bland version of Ra's in that movie.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The Bat-embargo was frustrating, but I don't think it impacted JLU too badly. We didn't really need to see the Bat-Family or Rogues during the Cadmus arc or the Legion of Doom. It would have been nice, but not a deal breaker.
And I recall they said in either a commentary or interview that the embargo helped them in way to focus on non-Batman villains for the Legion.

Dallas Kinard

Honestly, I'm glad the Bat-Embargo existed for one reason. Tim Drake. If they wouldn't have aged up his model, that would have been a huge issue for me. Ik Ik, the ROTJ flashback is supposedly set after JLU, but that Tim Drake model being the same as his first appearance is a deal-breaker for me....but that's neither here nor there. Not trying to beat a dead horse.

Cartoonfan13

And I recall they said in either a commentary or interview that the embargo helped them in way to focus on non-Batman villains for the Legion.
Yeah but still it would have been nice to See Riddler and Scarecrow encounter Darkseid.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts