"Batman: Soul of the Dragon" Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

b.t.

I know it will never happen but a small part of holds out hope that one day, JIm Krieg will rope Bruce Timm into dressing up with him. lol. Also loved how meta Jim got about what a producer does.

Oh, Jim has carved out a nice little niche for himself, I wouldn’t want to horn in on his territory. And besides, I can’t compete with The Master.

I’m content just to egg him on from the sidelines. Knowing his amazing Clouseau-like “Master Of Disguise” talents, I dared to offer a suggestion that he try a “Jason King Cosplay“ look for the shoot. He e-mailed me right back : “ON IT.” Should have known I needn’t have wasted my time.

Last edited:

Otaku-sempai

More will come in a few weeks. Going by the time between Red Son's cast announcement and trailer last year, Soul of the Dragon's trailer should drop around November 9. And Gary should start posting stills around October.
Yeah, the next release will actually be the new DC Showcase collection; the immediate marketing priority will be to promote the "Batman: Death in the Family" interactive short (along with the other animated shorts), out on October 13.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Sneak Peek of Batman: Soul Of The Dragon:

So immediately following a sunny movie, we're getting a fun one. Let's just say this project and Man Of Tomorrow really told me how badly on the wrong track things had gotten before they came along. Random thoughts: Is Richard Dragon the same character as Ricardo Diaz on Arrow? If so, that concerns me. Speaking of Arrowverse connections, Michael Jai White reprises Bronze Tiger / Ben Turner here. There's no reason for him not to. Not only was he perfectly cast on Arrow, he's a voice-over artist too. I look forward to David Guintoli as Bruce Wayne. I haven't really seen him in anything since he was the lead in Grimm, but I always thought he was a very underrated actor, and never got the proper amount of credit for that show being the success it was. I cannot call James Hong a National Treasure for two reasons: He is not of our nation, and even if he were, that would be underselling his value. Calling him a Global Treasure is closer to accurate. Looking forward to this. By the way, Jim Krieg strikes me as an eminently rational and sensible human being. I in no way sense things are about to end very badly for him. ****1/2.

Frontier

Staff member
Sneak Peek of Batman: Soul Of The Dragon:

So immediately following a sunny movie, we're getting a fun one. Let's just say this project and Man Of Tomorrow really told me how badly on the wrong track things had gotten before they came along. Random thoughts: Is Richard Dragon the same character as Ricardo Diaz on Arrow? If so, that concerns me. Speaking of Arrowverse connections, Michael Jai White reprises Bronze Tiger / Ben Turner here. There's no reason for him not to. Not only was he perfectly cast on Arrow, he's a voice-over artist too. I look forward to David Guintoli as Bruce Wayne. I haven't really seen him in anything since he was the lead in Grimm, but I always thought he was a very underrated actor, and never got the proper amount of credit for that show being the success it was. I cannot call James Hong a National Treasure for two reasons: He is not of our nation, and even if he were, that would be underselling his value. Calling him a Global Treasure is closer to accurate. Looking forward to this. By the way, Jim Krieg strikes me as an eminently rational and sensible human being. I in no way sense things are about to end very badly for him. ****1/2.
Yes. Technically Diaz is a re-imagining of the Richard Dragon character from the comics.

Otaku-sempai

Is Richard Dragon the same character as Ricardo Diaz on Arrow? If so, that concerns me.
I don't think so. If I remember correctly, the Arrowverse version of Ricardo Diaz killed Richard Dragon in order to claim his name for himself. This seems to align pretty closely with the comics, but this should be the original Richard Dragon, not his successor.

Frontier

Staff member
I don't think so. If I remember correctly, the Arrowverse version of Ricardo Diaz killed Richard Dragon in order to claim his name for himself. This seems to align pretty closely with the comics, but this should be the original Richard Dragon, not his successor.
I think that happened in the New 52 comics but I'm pretty sure it wasn't true for the TV version.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
^Yeah. Even then with this movie, it's the original Richard Dragon but also he is a fusion of the original and Bruce Lee. I think this is the first time we're seeing an animated version of Dragon. I want to say there might have been nods to him like movie posters in JLA or Brave/Bold. But this movie is a first full appearance.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
I saw the preview on the Superman Man of Tomorrow disc. Not exactly chomping at the bit about it like I have been for some of the DCAU movies, but I wouldn't be surprised if the execution turns out a lot better than the concept (see also: Batman vs. TMNT). I'm willing to give it a shot when it's released.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Given how Jeremy Adams also wrote Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge, which is also rated R, I wouldn't be surprised if this movie was similarly violent.
Eh, I don't think Soul of the Dragon is gonna go that nuts in terms of bloody violence like the impaling, stabbing, etc. James Tucker once said a sure R rating is the getting consecutively hit in a short span of time, so something as simple as getting pummeled by a fist 5 times in a row gets a R rating. For a martial arts movie, very likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts