"DC Showcase (Animated Shorts)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It should be interesting seeing how they will fit all this into a short (presumably under 30 minutes). I mean there will probably be the main story, until Robin is captured (which might take a while) and then we switch to alternate scenarios. I don't recall the exact explanation Ra's had about what he hired Joker for, but I think that mission alone could have made for a fun prequel mini-movie. Still, I like they're doing something different here. It's also cool seeing Two-Face will have a role in all this, the Red Robin outfit (though I would have preferred seeing Tim wear it) and another change to the Hush story.

I also wonder if there will be a scenario that puts the movie into the Young Justice continuity. :p

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Death of the Family must be October or November. Look like dead months in terms of releases. On one hand, it could be October 20, 2020 since Bloodlines released on 4K/Blu-ray/DVD on October 22, 2019. On the other hand, the first DC Showcase collection was released on November 9, 2010 so another guess I have is November 10, 2020. A real out of left field guess would be September 29 (there's nothing coming out in the second half of that month).

From a marketing standpoint, October could be seen as a new potential month for one last DC DTV before the year ends. Get it out in stores before it's buried under the big November and December holiday sales and other studio's bigger title releases.

Another factor is Superman: Man of Tomorrow is a late release this year in terms of the third movie release (Hush came out July 2019, Man of Tomorrow in September 2020). Would they want release Death in the Family in right after MoT one month later in October or wait until early November? Are they trying to stretch out the gaps a little and spread out the content they have? Both Deathstroke: The Movie releases are in August, then the MoT digital release is late August then the MoT in early September. Possibly the S:TAS Blu-ray set in late October so they could look at early October. Nothing major in November or December yet.

If I had 3 guesses: October 6, October 20, or November 10.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
08/11:
A minor note since it's still kind of early to tell for sure what they will feature, but the New York Comic-Con will also have virtual events this year between October 8-11 (co-incidentally shortly before Death in the Family is supposed to be released).

09/01:
Possibly a minor note, but I noticed the iTunes page for Death in the Family also lists Nolan North and Nick Carson as part of the cast.

I don't think North was mentioned before, and this seems to be Carson's only voice acting credit as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well, logically Nolan North is an easy guess but how would he factor into a Batman story is a whole other question. But I don't think anyone's going to guess Carson's 2 roles in the short.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts