AT&T buys Time Warner

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Yep. Selling DirecTV would not only shave off a large chunk of the debt, but also bring it back on the good graces of consumers. (I've heard it isn't well-liked among the satellite circles since the AT&T purchase.) Let's hope it happens.
Honestly, I couldn't agree with you more on that.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
As we all know, WarnerMedia is phasing out the Turner name.

I have a feeling that Turner Classic Movies will be rebranded as Warner Classic Movies since it's under WB now.

I'm not sure what a good new name for Turner Sports would be.

PF9

How about, Sager Sports?

It would be a nice memorial to longtime Turner Sports employee Craig Sager.

LinusFan303

Squeak

I have a feeling that Turner Classic Movies will be rebranded as Warner Classic Movies since it's under WB now.

That would be the bad thing to do, throw out 22 years of brand equity on TCM just because reasons....

MegasMilo379

Finally.

Ermm...

That would be the bad thing to do, throw out 22 years of brand equity on TCM just because reasons....
Yes. And dropping said brand equity (well-liked, beloved and recognizable) for one based on a brand that currently isn't (and by a lot of people) is just not a bright idea.

Last edited:

PF9

I'm sure with time that Warner Classic Movies will become a well-liked, beloved and recognizable brand too.

lowell

I mean, they renamed the Atlanta production facility as the Ted Turner Campus last year. I don't see a rebrand for TBS & TNT yet so I don't think they'll retire the TCM or Turner Sports branding. Plus, without the innovations that Turner did, you also wouldn't get CNN, HLN, and Cartoon Network created and New Line & Castle Rock being part of WB in addition to Warner getting back part of its film library along with most of the MGM library. WarnerMedia might also have the Turner name exclusive for a number of years down the road or for life so they might still want to use it but not as much as the years pre-AT&T ownership.

Plus, let's say for any reason, FOX Corporation sells FOX Sports in the future and AT&T, maybe debt-free by that time, buys it, would WarnerMedia keep the FOX brand or capitalize on the Turner name or others? I'd think they would capitalize on Turner or another name than the FOX brand if FOX News or the FOX Network or both are still existing by that time.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

Just because they're phasing out the Turner name doesn't mean Turner Classic Movies (TCM), Turner Network Television (TNT) and Turner Broadcasting Service (TBS) will be rebranded as a result. It's not comparable to Disney phasing out the Fox name as that one was to avoid confusion with Fox Corporation, which owns the remaining parts of 21st Century Fox that Disney didn't acquire as well as to avoid confusion with Foxtel.

The Master C

Warner Bros. has updated their site, adding a "Global Kids, Young Adults, and Classics" section, which includes information about Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Cartoon Network Studios, Turner Classic Movies (TCM), and Warner Bros. Animation. The only brand in this division lacking its own section is Boomerang.

harry580

what about turner entertainment co???, would they rename it to warner bros classics?

lowell

what about turner entertainment co???, would they rename it to warner bros classics?
I mean, now that TCM is under WB control and the fact that they merged WB and the Entertainment division together as the Studios and Networks Group, there's no need for Turner Entertainment to continue but just being managed entirely by WB.

PF9

Turner Entertainment is to WB is what EMKA is to Universal.

Mandouga

It's no longer the full name of the network and to avoid confusion with the company of the same name, I just substitute System with Service for the network.

It's "System" either way. "Turner Broadcasting System" is the (original name of the) channel, while "Turner Entertainment" is the name of the company (that WB is absorbing/dismantling).

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
It's "System" either way. "Turner Broadcasting System" is the (original name of the) channel, while "Turner Entertainment" is the name of the company (that WB is absorbing/dismantling).
I don't care. No need to correct me on that and FYI, it's Turner Broadcasting System, not Turner Entertainment that Warner Media is absorbing along with that no-one really uses the name as the full name of TBS anymore, so when people think of Turner Broadcasting System, they think of the company, not the network, hence to avoid confusion, I replace System with Service, so frankly, don't even correct me on that anymore.

PF9

I feel HBOmax could be a good way to restore public domain material whose original negatives are held by WB but had not previously been restored on DVD or Blu ray.

There's already Robin Hood Makes Good.

lowell

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts