AT&T buys Time Warner

Jonwo

I think MGM would only be worth acquiring for WarnerMedia if they could get Bond ownership either fully from EON or co-owning it. Bond would be a killer asset for HBO Max to have along things like Rocky, the Addams Family and The Pink Panther and also would provide WB with a big IP.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Plus if WB, MGM and SGF do merge and the latter becomes United Artists, I see WB using the UA label for potential Pokemon Cinematic Universe movies that are "psuedo-documentaries" showing animalistic Pokemon in their natural habitats (specialty units of major studios are usually the ones that distribute documentaries or movies that look like them).

lowell

Castle Rock hasn't even released a movie through WB in years. WB would be better off selling the rights to the Castle Rock name (but not the library) back to Rob Reiner.
Eh, they would be able to revive it like how MGM revived Orion Pictures in the last few years.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Eh, they would be able to revive it like how MGM revived Orion Pictures in the last few years.

There's precedent for my proposal to have WB sell the rights to the Castle Rock name back to Reiner.

A decade ago, Disney wanted to shut down Miramax, but Filmyard Holdings stepped in and acquired it from Disney, in this case also including outright ownership of the Miramax library. Miramax was later sold to beIN, who in turn sold a minority stake, and distribution rights, to Paramount earlier this month. (Of course that brought Miramax full circle, in the early 1990s, before being bought by Disney, Miramax had a home video and TV distribution deal with Paramount for some of its films).

lowell

There's precedent for my proposal to have WB sell the rights to the Castle Rock name back to Reiner.

A decade ago, Disney wanted to shut down Miramax, but Filmyard Holdings stepped in and acquired it from Disney, in this case also including outright ownership of the Miramax library. Miramax was later sold to beIN, who in turn sold a minority stake, and distribution rights, to Paramount earlier this month. (Of course that brought Miramax full circle, in the early 1990s, before being bought by Disney, Miramax had a home video and TV distribution deal with Paramount for some of its films).

The way Castle Rock was treated by Warner Bros. back then will likely differ from how they will treat them now, since library and content production capabilities are regarded as strategic in the Streaming Wars.

What if WarnerMedia manages to get the distribution rights of remaining Castle Rock shows like Seinfeld, and films like When Harry Met Sally, etc. they don't own currently from Sony Pictures one day? If Castle Rock's full library gets reunited under Warner Bros. and then AT&T buys a merged MGM-Samuel Goldwyn Films to expand WarnerMedia, SGF's operations could be used to fully revive Castle Rock to both produce content for HBO Max and fully compete with Searchlight, Focus Features, and Sony Pictures Classics.

I've even seen the logo even reused somewhere last year either with HBO Max-related or WarnerMedia-related PR images so it wouldn't be surprising if Castle Rock still has value to the company somehow.

The Master C

LinusFan303

Squeak
Essentially, Warner Bros. is way bigger now that it pretty much owns TBS, TNT, HBO, and truTV. Elevating HBO Max to being its own separate unit says a lot about WarnerMedia's confidence in the service.
They did boot the people who helped get HBO Max off the ground, but yeah they are really banking on hoping it works.

5YearsOnEastCoast

I think this is the right place to post this:
AT&T Wants $1.5 Billion in Crunchyroll Sale to Sony

Also: How are they get out of this mess?:chowder:

LinusFan303

Squeak
Interesting, Sony does own Funimation so that would be some concentration there.
It's very normal for the owners of Directv to want to get rid of them after buying them, it's happened many times before.

lowell

Interesting, Sony does own Funimation so that would be some concentration there.
It's very normal for the owners of Directv to want to get rid of them after buying them, it's happened many times before.
But I mean, they're not into the price AT&T's asking for. They obviously could just continue to save their money and buy something else more valuable post-pandemic if they want to scale up for the Streaming Wars.

As for Crunchyroll, it would be better to bring their paid content to HBO Max with all of the other free features staying put on the regular Crunchyroll site.

the greenman

I'm not a huge anime fan myself. Judging from what I've seen of their selection, they simply don't have a very large (or I'd say impressive) library. Until I see the classics I have enjoyed, I'd say Netflix should buy them out, as their trying to be the go-to place for anime themselves.

If Crunchyroll were better curated, it would worth that price like Romance, Horror, Kids, Sports, Mecha, etc. . . I live not far by a Japanese store and they have manga and anime curated. Netflix is better curated and has more well known brands. I remember someone explained the deal with WB and Pokémon on this site, but well, Netflix has some of them. Why is that WB? Netflix obviously have the anime that they produced live action adaptations for like Death Note. Not sure which is better, Funimation or Crunchyroll.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RDG

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts