The Owl House News And Discussion Thread

ShadowBeast

The First Day: This......was an alright episode. I believe this episode has the shortest amount of Eda in it. I think this episode suffers the same problem as the first episode of shoving Luz's "imbrace my weirdness" into our faces and like the previous episode, Luz's issue with a group could've easily explained and solved. Luz was obviously talking about the class itself and not the other students in it. And she obviously thought this before discovering the class's potential.
I agree with those who said that Principal Bump changed his mind too fast from Luz's comments. The fact that they defeated the creature should've been what convinced him to give the Detention class students a second chance. Not Luz's little speech. This felt not only forced into making Luz a hero, but it felt rushed as well. I also agree with those about Luz getting her way in the end. We had an episode about Luz not being some "chosen one" but now it seems like she is a "chosen one" after all. We even get a hint of Luz possibly surpassing Eda one day.
I'm seriously getting a later-seasons of Star VS. with the writing in this show. The characters are great, the show has potential, but I fear it will sink farther and faster than Star Vs. did. It even has it's own Starco with Luz and Amity. Which explains why Amity was "redeemed" so quickly. The problem with this ship though is that it's even more rushed and forced than Starco was, as Luz goes from sticking her tongue out at Amity in her debut to apparently stalking her according to Amity in Lost in Language".
Now back to the episode, I liked King's role in this and it even had the right amount of focus as King's plot didn't take up much. I also loved the Choosing Hat running gag.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

I'm sure she's being playful, but it's still interesting. It's still a cute moment.

The episode with this Grom screenshot will have Molly Knox Ostertag (wife of Noelle Stevenson and one of the main writers for this show) as a writer. Cue people on Twitter being all "It's the Lumity episode!" and "The gay subtext will be through the roof.". It'll be interesting to see.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

I don't know how we didn't see this before. In this article from Christmas Eve, it says how, at one point, the show would've taken place in the afterlife after Luz died. Having a dead child be the main character is definitely gutsy though it was understandably rejected.

Screenshot_20200729-195659.png

ShadowBeast

I don't know how we didn't see this before. In this article from Christmas Eve, it says how, at one point, the show would've taken place in the afterlife after Luz died. Having a dead child be the main character is definitely gutsy though it was understandably rejected.

View attachment 282896
This sounds similar to Jimmy Two Shoes, or at least what JTS was going to be with the main character being taken to Hell. I can see why both shows didn't go into the shows taking place in the afterlife settings since the main characters are just kids.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Here's an Instagram post. When she said how she's excited to voice Amity's mom, she says she loves playing characters with a villainous side. I figured she would just be strict, though I didn't expect villainous.

The season 1 finale finished production.

Last edited:

VG_Addict

Really Small Problems AND Understanding Willow are on Disney Now.

And, I think Understanding Willow is by far the best episode of the show so far.

Last edited:

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Really Small Problems AND Understanding Willow are on Disney Now.

And, I think Understanding Willow is by far the best episode of the show so far.

I watched it and I can start to take back what I said in the past about Willow being weak / terrible (IMHO), surprisingly enough. Hopefully, she can continue to get better from here because, after all, the first episodes that focused on her didn't do much for me (unlike Amity, who is still best character for me so far), as much as I would have liked.

Rhaynebow

They’ve focused so much on Luz and Amity that I legit forgot Willow and Amity used to be friends.

I’m glad that they didn’t have the two make up RIGHT away though. This seems like a show will Luz will have multiple friend circles that may not perfectly overlap, which is fine, that means Luz won’t be tied down to only having adventures with Gus and Willow.

Both of these episodes were good but....I’m REALLY starting to find Luz annoying with her “cutesy quirky random” babbling. The theme song makes it look like she’ll be scared of stuff, but in the show she loves pretty much everything and has to make a quirky comment about how awesome it is. It comes off as a tad shallow to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
"Really Small Problems:" This episode's setting was its strongest component. I liked seeing the different sights of the fair and what a carnival looks like in this universe.

The episode's plot was good, but not outstanding. I think this is one of King's stronger stories. Being Luz's "pet," it makes sense that he would begin to miss her a lot more when she headed off to Hexside. I thought it was cute when he went to the door and asked Eda if she was "really coming back this time." Anyone who's ever owned a dog can relate to this. Sure, King's jealousy led him to be a naive jerk, but in the end, he learned his lesson.

I liked Tibble's appearance here more than in "Hooty's Moving Hassle." He worked better as a bad guy in this episode and his evil shenanigans were entertaining, especially during the circus feeding time scene.

Now I really want a short where we see all of the crazy adventures Hooty and the fly went on while our MCs were gone.

"Understanding Willow:" This episode is basically this show's version of "Dreamscaperers." That episode is one of my Top 5 favorites of Gravity Falls, so it's no surprise that I loved this episode so much. There's quite a lot to absorb here.

Firstly, kudos to the writers for giving Willow some real development. It was nice to peek into her past, spending time with her two dads and having Amity as a childhood friend. What Amity did to break off the friendship technically wasn't right, but it does explain her actions and her attitude better. Her parents definitely had an influence on her personality. I quite liked the choice to make Willow's mind a forest, considering that she's on the plant track at Hexside. It wasn't surprising that the flame monster was the mind keeper; Willow was destroying her own brain with her anger. It was interesting to take a look at her inner demons and I hope we can see her heal further as the series progresses.

Even the B plot was good. I knew that they'd go the route of having Gus interview Eda, but I didn't guess that it would be a contest between her and King for the position. Eda playing all the bells and drowning out the signal for Amity and Luz to come back was a great way to tie the two plots together. It was also pretty funny. Really, I wouldn't have minded an additional scene with King and Eda vying for Gus' attention, but I knew how important the A plot was. I loved the twist of Hooty being the one to get the interview, and, of course, he annoyed Gus to the ends of the earth with his weird stories.

The episode also had some better one-liners than usual. I liked Eda's line about having "levels" and the first minute of the episode had some chuckle-worthy moments ("Kid fight!").

I would dare to say that this is the best episode of the series so far. If only every episode were as profound and funny as this one.

Last edited:

JTZ

Two things bothered me about Understanding Willow:

First, how Gus was "written out" of the A-plot. I get it, he's a perfectionist, they wanted to focus on the relation between Luz, Amity and Willow, and I usually don't mind if cartoons exaggerate a character's behaviour for the sake of the plot. That he prioritized his homework over saving the burnt mind of his best friend seemed out of place, though.

Second was how they tried to shove in something about Luz prying into Amity's and Willow's past. The episode didn't really support that considering the cause of everything were the problems the two of them have, and Amity showed clearly she was uncomfortable about it as well. Luz had a right to ask about what happened and was tactful about it, so I found it weird when Amity called her out like that.

Aside from that, it was a very enjoyable episode. Can't say Amity and Willow's backstory is too original, but it works. Willow's parents were also a nice touch, and further proof that while the show is far from perfect, it's got the heart at the right place.

How is the show so far?

Pretty neat, though not really great. It struggled in the first episodes with the direction it wanted to take, but it's slowly starting to find its place. Also, if you are an insecure, but easily excitable teenage girl with an artistic side who is into fantasy and fandom stuff like shipping and fanfiction, you will probably love the show just because Luz is the very embodiment of that.

Perla Magica

Digital Love
"Really Small Problems" was an okay episode but "Understanding Willow" was phenomenally great, mostly it did a good job at telling what happened between Amity and Willow in the past.

About Amity's parents - they were so cruel to the bone to Amity. No wonder why they forced her to befriend the mean girls instead of Willow.

Developing Willow's character is also important in this episode, anger and sadness - that's exactly were the emotions that Willow had when she reminds the sad memory about Amity.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Luz had a right to ask about what happened and was tactful about it, so I found it weird when Amity called her out like that.

I figured it was just being defensive on her part.

Also, if you are an insecure, but easily excitable teenage girl with an artistic side who is into fantasy and fandom stuff like shipping and fanfiction,

Not necessarily just teenagers and or girls either:).

VG_Addict

The first letters of this season's episodes spell, "A WITCH LOSES A TRUE WAY".

And the codes in each episode so far spell Two Witches Torn Apart Now Alone Two Hearts Of Stone A Curse Of Feathers And.

I don't think S1 is going to have a happy ending.

zoombie

Really Small Problem

So I don't remember this villain much. But I don't think he is that important, is he? Well this episode shows that King has developed, though maybe too much. Luz got to stop treating him like a pet, and he has to stop enabling her, I don't know, if that is what he wants.

Still this episode does pay homages to a couple of great 80's movie, Big and Honey I Shrunk The Kids.

Understanding Willow

This episode does go a lot into psyche, while we go inside Willow's mind, in a weird way, I think we inside Amity's psyche more so that Willow. I told you there was another side of this story. And Amity's parents had something to do with it. I can't wait till we actually meet them.

So the parents even chooses her friends, wow talk about control freaks. I do find it interesting, that Amity's knows those girls are mean, I wonder if the twins and those girls ever interacted.

Speaking of parents, Willow has two dads. Though Ducktales beat this show to the punch, but still.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Speaking of parents, Willow has two dads. Though Ducktales beat this show to the punch, but still.
TOTS beat both shows to the punch with the episode "Shell Games" (which aired January 24) It showed that one shot character Tallulah has two turtle dads.

"Shell Games" showed that Tallulah the turtle was delivered to a family of two fathers.

VG_Addict

I completely forgot that Lilith was training Amity until someone on another forum brought it up.

That could have been an interesting plotline.

Korra_Fan

My only quibble with "Understanding Willow" (other than the Gus subplot which was in incredibly poor taste given the circumstances) was that the episode harped too much on Amity breaking up with Willow, when that wasn't the problem: the WAY she did it and how she treated her afterward was. There was no way Amity couldn't break up with Willow in that situation: she was a child and her parents held power not just over her but over Willow's future. I feel that should have been emphasized more, the point should have been that Amity should've been honest about the situation when breaking up with Willow instead of lying that it was due to Willow being too weak because she herself didn't want to reveal her own weakness of being under her parents' thumbs.

Otherwise, fantastic episode that gave great and appreciated development to Amity and Willow.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
As an aside (well slightly in response to Senses and Insensitivity), I don't begrudge anyone who dislikes shipping and is annoyed when discussions include shipping. We can definitely be annoying if not dangerous:eek:.

Just that now any comments against the subject I will associate with King. Mean it with a lot of proverbial love mind you.;)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts