Why is there not much of a fandom for early Disney Channel?

Dr.Pepper

How come it seems like I don’t see much of a fandom for ‘80’s or early ‘90’s Disney channel? When you google for ‘90’s Disney Channel you mostly turn up with stuff like Kim Possible and Lizzie McGuire. Is it because Disney was a premium channel in those days?

Side note: are there any established nicknames for the different eras of the channel?

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
Logopedia has given names to most eras of Disney Channel.

1983: First idents (pretty lazy name)
2003: Bounce/Ribbon
2010: Smartphone
2014: Glass age
2017: Social Media
2019: Item Age (a weird name if you ask me)

The TV logo era does seem to have been given a name over there.

Last edited:

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Disney Channel didn't consolidate itself until the mid-90s, coincidentally when it started internationalizing. Most of its pre-1995 programming - by that I strictly mean programs commissioned for the channel, as opposed to content from Disney's back catalog - seems to be so dimly-remembered. Another side note is that it being a premium channel helped create such limited fandom. When it launched in many regions of the world after 1995, as a premium channel, it had decent programming, partly due to their airing of shows from Disney's back catalog.

Dr.Pepper

Logopedia has given names to most eras of Disney Channel.

1983: First idents (pretty lazy name)
2003: Bounce/Ribbon
2010: Smartphone
2014: Glass age
2017: Social Media
2019: Item Age (a weird name if you ask me)

The TV logo era does seem to have a name.
At the absolute minimum 1983-1997 is one era, and 1997-2003 is another.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Disney Channel mostly outsourced their animated programs to other networks like CBS and local affiliates that aired The Disney Afternoon. There wasn't much reason to watch the main Disney Channel. It was also a premium channel at the time and not many families were willing to pay the extra cash for a channel with ho-hum programming.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Disney Channel mostly outsourced their animated programs to other networks like CBS and local affiliates that aired The Disney Afternoon. There wasn't much reason to watch the main Disney Channel. It was also a premium channel at the time and not many families were willing to pay the extra cash for a channel with ho-hum programming.
When they bought ABC, they were raking it in.

Disney Channel was scheduled to start in the UK in 1989, at the height of its "huh?" phase, but got delayed to 1995 due to conflicts. And 1995 was like the best time to launch it abroad, hot off the heels of the massive Disney renaissance of the years before.

Dr.Pepper

It's because the original programming on Early Disney Channel was absolutely terrible.
No offense, but you seem to think everything is terrible. What do you like (aside from Bone)? I’m not trying to be condescending, but it seems like the majority of your posts are about something sucks. I respect your opinions, but I’m just curious about why you seems to hate just about everything.
Nonsense! I grew up of Disney Channel of the 80's and 90's. The Hannah Montana era is terrible.
To be fair, most of the shows I fond memories of from that era of Disney were second run. I remember watching reruns of Disney Afternoon shows, New Adventure of Winnie the Pooh, My Little Pony, and Care Bears as well as classic Disney shorts the most.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
No offense, but you seem to think everything is terrible. What do you like (aside from Bone)? I’m not trying to be condescending, but it seems like the majority of your posts are about something sucks. I respect your opinions, but I’m just curious about why you seems to hate just about everything.
You obviously don't read the majority of my posts. I like about half of the things discussed on Anime Superhero. My reviews are measured, thorough, and fair. I give an equal amount of things I watch rave reviews as I do horrible reviews for things I hate. Hamilton for instance is one thing I love. My reviews to Stargirl, Star Trek: Picard, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, and The Orville are also overwhelmingly positive, as are my reviews for the Marvel Cinematic Universe, The DCAU, the Muppets, Sesame Street, Farscape, Twin Peaks, The Simpsons, Futurama, the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and The Next Generation, The Lords of the Rings films, Wallace and Gromit, Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Pee-Wee's Playhouse, Transformers Prime, Haven, The Shawshank Redemption, Community, Veronica Mars, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Parks And Recreation, Ed Wood, Beetlejuice, Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Red Dwarf, 12 Monkeys: The Series, Fantasia, The Little Mermaid, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Gargoyles, Gummi Bears, TaleSpin, Dinosaurs, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Pulp Fiction, Dick Tracy (1990), The Rocketeer (Film), The Crying Game, Mulholland Dr, Wolverine and the X-Men, Lost, Fringe, Duck Dodgers, The Looney Tunes Show, Looney Tunes Cartoons, Disney Comics, Calvin and Hobbes, Bloom County, Bone, Stephen King books, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats Of NIMH, A Wrinkle In Time, and Harry Potter books.

These are all things I have not merely given occasional tepid approval of. These are things that get rave reviews from me week in and week out. And that's just the stuff I love. A list of the stuff I merely like is about five times that length. To say that the majority of my posts are about how something sucks is untrue.

Most importantly is that in my reviews if I DO think something sucks, I can back it up using facts and reason from my own personal perspective. I don't just trollishly declare something sucks in my reviews and leave it at that. I feel comfortable defending my opinions, both the good and the bad.
Nonsense! I grew up of Disney Channel of the 80's and 90's. The Hannah Montana era is terrible.
No doubt the Hanna Montana era is terrible. But if you exclude the Disney Channel originals that were actually dry runs for Disney Afternoon shows like Rescue Rangers and Darkwing Duck, the majority of the programming was underwhelming. Outside of classic Disney cartoon reruns, you had an exercise program with Mickey Mouse, Dumbo's Circus, and Welcome to Pooh Corner. I can't really argue with somebody who thinks those were high quality children's entertainment because that's a ludicrous argument on its face. I seem to recall liking Kids Incorporated back in the day, but I imagine I would be underwhelmed by it as an adult, as I am all 80's kidcoms. The reason I think Disney switched to basic cable is that they realized there was really nothing on it that was worth most people paying money for in the 1980's and 90's.

Yeah, Disney Channel sucks now. It's also always been terrible. But I say this as an adult who has outgrown a children's network. And I speak as a former kid who was never interested in any of the 80's Disney Channel stuff whenever my house got a free preview weekend.

Last edited:

Dr.Pepper

The reason I think Disney switched to basic cable is that they realized there was really nothing on it that was worth most people paying money for in the 1980's and 90's.
Funny you should mention that, because Disney was the primary reason my parents got premium cable back in the early ‘90’s.

Pooky

Staff member
I watched the UK Disney Channel quite a bit around 96-99ish. At the time they showed more or less the full range of Disney TV animation from Darkwing Duck on, Mickey's Mouse Tracks and Donald's Quack Attack as well as the odd short inbetween shows, Dinosaurs, movies (mostly live action and TV movies), some teen sitcoms and probably a million things I can't remember or had no interest in. I certainly enjoyed a lot of it at the time, but I have no idea how it compared to the US channel. I know the US one aired a lot of stuff that wasn't actually owned by Disney, the UK one aired a few things but not that much.

These days the main legacy of 80s Disney Channel is remembered for seems to be this really early behind the scenes of Roger Rabbit

Last edited:

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I'll admit that I've grown an interest in the early years of the Disney Channel over time, as it seemed like an interesting amalgam of Disney+, TCM, and VH1 Classic, the latter two in the later hours. A lot of the originals from that era didn't look so exciting, at least from but the prospective of catching classic films and shorts from the studio during the day, and maybe a Cary Grant marathon or Billy Joel concert at night looks like something I could've definitely gotten behind.

At least as someone pushing 30. As a kid, I don't think that would've been so exciting for me, and I doubt that many other kids would have felt differently. I could see why it wouldn't have been a big seller as a premium seller back in the day, and why switching its format was ultimately for the best, even if I've never been as interested in the Zoom/DCOM material.

ToonsJazzLover

Well it was a premium channel that was only available in the highest cable package.

So compared to early Nick and CN, early Disney doesn’t have that many representation.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Their TV department specifically focusing on animation started as late as 1984, also, the channel started to rollout internationally as late as 1995, probably due to a lack of a decently sized and quality TV library, it was supposed to be 1989, but there was a false start in the UK which led to a lawsuit with Sky. Cable was still a new thing in the U.S. in the early 80's (mid to late 70's was probably the real start of cable TV channels) and Disney Channel was premium, meaning that fewer people watched it.

SpaceCowboy

The only original programming I remember being exclusive to the channel in the late-80's/early'90s were pre-school shows like Dumbo's Circus and Welcome to Pooh Corner. I didn't get the channel myself, but remember watching it over at friend's houses.
Their TV department specifically focusing on animation started as late as 1984, also, the channel started to rollout internationally as late as 1995, probably due to a lack of a decently sized and quality TV library, it was supposed to be 1989, but there was a false start in the UK which led to a lawsuit with Sky.
It's hard to imagine they had a lack of a library considering a lot of vintage Walt-era stuff aired back then on the US channel (like Disney's Wonderful World of Color). I do however remember seeing the schedule puffed up with numerous acquired shows back in the early '90s, like Care Bears and The Raccoons though.
Cable was still a new thing in the U.S. in the early 80's (mid to late 70's was probably the real start of cable TV channels) and Disney Channel was premium, meaning that fewer people watched it.
I can't speak for the early '80s, but I remember it was common in households by the early '90s among people with children.

Last edited:

TheMisterManGuy

Disney Channel didn't establish much of an identity until the late-90s. For most of the decade, it was really a battle between Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, Disney Channel was a non-factor. Disney didn't even start becoming a legit threat until the 2000s, which is why most people remember the 2000s era of the channel than it's pre-97' days.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Disney didn't even start becoming a legit threat until the 2000s, which is why most people remember the 2000s era of the channel than it's pre-97' days.
There is a lot of nostalgia for the 80s and 90s Disney cartoons, just not for the Disney Channel series. This is also somewhat true for Nickelodeon: there is a lot more nostalgia for the 90s Nicktoons than for its 90s series.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts