"Marvel Animation on Disney+" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Frontier

Staff member
From what I gathered

Film Roman worked on "Ultimate Spiderman", and "Hulk and the Agents of Smash"
Studio Mir worked on "Guardians of the Galaxy"
Man of Action worked on "Avengers Assemble".
Considering how Guardians and Agents of SMASH looked, I have my doubts Film Roman or Studio Mir worked on those shows. If they did, then whatever studio they outsourced too to finish the animation basically butchered their work (which, from what we have heard from storyboard artists who work on the cartoons, isn't too far-fetched).

Man of Action is not an animation studio, they're a writing team as far as I am aware.

coldglynx

Considering how Guardians and Agents of SMASH looked, I have my doubts Film Roman or Studio Mir worked on those shows. If they did, then whatever studio they outsourced too to finish the animation basically butchered their work (which, from what we have heard from storyboard artists who work on the cartoons, isn't too far-fetched).

Man of Action is not an animation studio, they're a writing team as far as I am aware.

Studio Mir does have the show pictured and credited on their Company website.

I doubt they would do that if they didn’t work on it. I know it doesn’t look like their usual work. I’m guessing they were just following the designs given to them by Marvel.

Frontier

Staff member
Studio Mir does have the show pictured and credited on their Company website.

I doubt they would do that if they didn’t work on it. I know it doesn’t look like their usual work. I’m guessing they were just following the designs given to them by Marvel.
I guess that shows the difference outsourcing can make...

TFormersMarvel

Apparently Flying Bark Productions is attached to an upcoming untitled Marvel Studios animated series. For those unaware of their recent resurgence, they're the wonderful animesque Sydney in-house animation studio primarily responsible for Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and LEGO Monkie Kid, along with some episodes of Nick's Glitch Techs.

There's not much info besides job listings for a full-time 3D animator on Grey Garter and a 2D FX animator back in March 2020. There's a generic 2D Background Layout Artist listing for "an upcoming series" as well. Along with this PDF blurb:
Its international productions range from Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (with Nickelodeon), Monkie Boy (with Lego) and a new show for Marvel Studios. Flying Bark has around 300 employees in Australia and a substantial international export business. It is owned by the Belgian entertainment conglomerate, Studio 100 International.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Apparently Flying Bark Productions is attached to an upcoming untitled Marvel Studios animated series. For those unaware of their recent resurgence, they're the wonderful animesque Sydney in-house animation studio primarily responsible for Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and LEGO Monkie Kid, along with some episodes of Nick's Glitch Techs.

There's not much info besides job listings for a full-time 3D animator on Grey Garter and a 2D FX animator back in March 2020. There's a generic 2D Background Layout Artist listing for "an upcoming series" as well. Along with this PDF blurb:
Well, this has the potential to be the best animated Marvel cartoon in years :p.

I wonder if every future Marvel cartoon is going to be "Marvel Studios animated series" or if it's another Marvel Studios cartoon oriented around the MCU :confused:.

bigdaddy313

I knew Marvel Studios will be going to outside sources for their animation department which makes total sense.

They are fully committed in-house to work on live productions, they don't have time for in-house animation productions.

So at least Marvel Animation will be great looking again cause their resume is very good.

I thought Glitch Tech was a very gorgeous series, and that new Lego Monkey Kid also looks very impressive.

TFormersMarvel

Well, this has the potential to be the best animated Marvel cartoon in years :p.

I wonder if every future Marvel cartoon is going to be "Marvel Studios animated series" or if it's another Marvel Studios cartoon oriented around the MCU :confused:.
So far we only know that Marvel's What If..? and "this Flying Bark project" are the only two animated series to have Marvel Studios directly attached, so I'd imagine it'll lean towards the latter.

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is our first proper co-production between Disney Television Animation and Marvel Animation's remnants ironically, I'm sure it'll be a classic loose adaptation of the comic book take. I would say the same for the Hulu shows, Marvel's M.O.D.O.K and Marvel's Hit Monkey, which have (also dwindling) Marvel Television attached. We can't forget about the Disney Junior show, Spidey and His Amazing Friends.

From what I gathered

Film Roman worked on "Ultimate Spiderman", and "Hulk and the Agents of Smash"
Studio Mir worked on "Guardians of the Galaxy"
Man of Action worked on "Avengers Assemble".

There's an honest mistake of mixing production studios, writers, and animation studios here. You're right about Film Roman co-producing Ultimate Spider-Man and Hulk and the Agents of Smash, but they don't handle the actual key animation. bigdaddy313's correction is right about Studio Mir only doing the Peter Quill origin shorts, which is why it honestly looked more lively than the show's usual stuff. Man of Action are co-producers of Assemble, but they're not a production company.

Ultimate Spider-Man:
Dong Woo Animation (Seasons 1-3)
Moi Animation (Seasons 1-4)
Digital eMation (Season 1)
NE4U (Season 4)

Avengers Assemble:
Sunmin Animation/SMIP Co. (Seasons 1- 5)
Lotto Animation (Seasons 1- 5 )

Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H
DR Movie
Moi Animation
Dong Woo Animation

Guardians of the Galaxy:
DR Movie
Sunmin Animation

Frontier

Staff member
Guessing a new Spider-Man or Avengers.
I think a new Spider-Man cartoon produced by them would look amazing :).

It's strange that Marvel hasn't announced any new "flagship" cartoons lately when they have so little on the air right now.

Then again, if it's oriented around the MCU, I'm kind of wondering what property they felt would be worth showcasing off animated and how it would tie-in to the movies :confused:.

TFormersMarvel

I think a new Spider-Man cartoon produced by them would look amazing :).

It's strange that Marvel hasn't announced any new "flagship" cartoons lately when they have so little on the air right now.

Then again, if it's oriented around the MCU, I'm kind of wondering what property they felt would be worth showcasing off animated and how it would tie-in to the movies :confused:.

There's a rumor that a Power Pack series is in the works, potentially an animated series, as an evolution of Kevin Fiege's comments from the ScreenRant interview back on June 2018:
"Power Pack is a property that we've been interested in for a long time. For many years because we wanted to do something for families, something that's a little younger, Ant-Man has kind of become that franchise, certainly with Ant-Man and the Wasp, but Power Pack still is one of the many things that we discuss, wouldn't it be fun to do someday?"

If it's true, that would honestly be pretty neat. The art style of the Gurihiru-illustrated Power Pack comic run would fit right at home with Flying Bark's output. Considering Marvel Studios would ideally like their shows to have closer continuity compared to their Marvel TV counterparts, I wonder if they'll cast the same child actors for both voice acting and live-action roles?

Last edited:

Hulkwummy

a limited series won't cut it, I prefer a full series that will as long for as many seasons as it can.

Freddy

Honestly, X-Men TAS already had pretty solid finale with Beyond Good And Evil. It was big bombastic spectacle, which didn't have the best story, but was a fun ride, brought closure to a lot of plot-threads and seemingly brought down show's biggest villain.

Then they made an another season and while it had few good episodes, it introduced new plot-threads that never got closed out and resurrected Apocalypse for no good reason. The actual series finale was decent, with Xavier's speech being pure perfection, but it was so rushed (should have been a two-parter) and lacked a sense of true finality.

So, I would be fine with trying to one last time to give this show the send-off it deserves on paper, but considering how many years it has been and how unlikely it would be for them to get the entire band back to together... Maybe just leave well enough alone.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Yeah, I have to agree. I must have posted something similar when a revival of X-Men: TAS was first rumored last year I think, but as much as I love the show I think it had a pretty conclusive ending (especially when compared to the other X-Men shows over the years). I also still kind of doubt they will actually manage to produce another season for the show, it's just something they have considered but I don't really expect much to come out of these discussions.

(But of course, if a new season really does come out I will check it out :p)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts