Trip to Memory Lane: Downfall of Ed, Edd n Eddy and Billy & Mandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.

Banned
Personally, I feel Ed, Edd n Eddy declined in quality back then as a kid when the show's creator, Danny Antonucci, decided to send them off to school and took the slapstick to the extreme compared to the first two seasons, which had a more calm and laidback feel. The third season, however, was when they had amp up the slapstick as well as Eddy's personality but the show was still good regardless. I feel like the negative traits actually started in Season 4 with the offending episodes being If It Smells Like an Ed, Your Ed Here, Sorry, Wrong Ed, and Stiff Upper Ed, as well as Eddy generally becoming increasingly more of a unlikable jerk-face of a leader who outright abuses his friends in either a short-tempered manner or just for fun. Season 5 then took all of this negative traits from Season 4 to the extreme, with the offending episodes being Cleanliness Is Next to Edness, No Speak Da Ed, Pick an Ed, Tinker Ed, The Good, the Bad, and the Ed, Smile for the Ed, and even A Fistful of Ed I can honestly saw was a pretty bad episode too in and out of itself. These episodes were all nothing but very harsh torture episodes for the Eds (in general) and the slapstick was completely unfunny and instead can be seen as cruelty for comedy. In addition, the Eds don't get along well with each other and mistreat one another, making their dynamic pretty much gone on top of all three Eds having been flanderized (especially Eddy). Generally, the show was at its worst when it did not focused on the scams and instead focused on giving the Eds very unfair treatment in a forced attempt to further submit them to their buttmonkey status. The three holiday specials (minus the endings of both the Christmas and Halloween specials respectively) and the movie finale were the only ones saving grace. Now don't get me wrong, Season 5 still had some decent episodes like Truth or Ed, This Won't Hurt an Ed, Every Which Way Ed, Boom Boom Out Goes the Ed, and May I Have This Ed?. So in general, before Ed, Edd n Eddy ended on a magnificent note that left a lasting legacy on the fans and critics alike with its heartwarming movie finale, it declined in quality when Antonucci overdid the portrayal of the humor and the characters.

Same can be said for Billy & Mandy in Seasons 6-7, with the offending episodes being The Love That Dare Not Speak Its Name, Scary Poppins, Be A-Fred, Be Very A-Fred, Everything Breaks, The Show That Dare Not Speak Its Name, Billy Gets an 'A, Waking Nightmare, and The Incredible Shrinking Mandy. These episodes I mention generally represented Billy and/or Mandy's character butchering or genuine torture scenarios for Grim in addition to the episodes making much less sense and the humor being beyond disgusting unlike it already was. And to be honest, I always thought Billy and Mandy themselves were useless and bland protagonists to begin with long before Seasons 6-7 arrived on the block. Grim was the only main character I liked aside from his buttmonkey status that the show's creator, Maxwell Atom, kept on spewing out for him. Its crossover with KND, which aired 3 days after the last episode Heartburn, was lackluster and Billy & Mandy's personalities were officially ruined for me by then. Billy & Mandy also never really got an actual series finale either. The second Halloween special, Under-fist, was just set up for a future spin-off series, which Cartoon Network at the time declined due to Atom's contract expiring and/or the executives of the network at the time wanting to focus more on becoming Disney/Nickelodeon-esque with live-action.

Share your thoughts.

Dr.Pepper

I feel like when it comes to Ed Edd n Eddy, I didn’t mind them being at school. I did have a problem with the extreme slapstick and violence that was present. I agree that a lot of it wasn’t funny and felt like the writers were just tormenting characters.

I won’t comment on Billy & Mandy because it’s been a long time since I’ve seen it.

ThisGuy24

I disagree completely, Ed Edd n Eddy being in school didn't ruin the show at all. Ed Edd n Eddy didn't focus on the being out of school for the summer theme like Phineas and Ferb did. The Ed's always got the short end of the stick, I'm not understanding how the episodes you mentioned are torture episodes when they got harsh treatment from the other kids.

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

In Ed, Edd n Eddy the main trio pretty much always loses and get harshly treated by the other characters, it's really nothing new. I actually liked the show more when the slapstick became more "extreme", since i'm a huge fan of slapstick humor. The school episodes didn't bother me, I actually liked seeing the characters in a different setting for once.

I haven't seen enough of Billy and Mandy to comment on it.

M.C.

Banned
I disagree completely, Ed Edd n Eddy being in school didn't ruin the show at all. Ed Edd n Eddy didn't focus on the being out of school for the summer theme like Phineas and Ferb did. The Ed's always got the short end of the stick, I'm not understanding how the episodes you mentioned are torture episodes when they got harsh treatment from the other kids.

In Ed, Edd n Eddy the main trio pretty much always loses and get harshly treated by the other characters, it's really nothing new. I actually liked the show more when the slapstick became more "extreme", since i'm a huge fan of slapstick humor. The school episodes didn't bother me, I actually liked seeing the characters in a different setting for once.

Okay good. More power to you. Acting like Ed, Edd n Eddy was infinity percent perfect from start to finish when it never really was. Only die-hard fans would say this. Yet are so quick to agree that Dexter's Lab and PPG suffered a huge decline in quality in their respective last two seasons, but when it came to Ed, Edd n Eddy, everyone wants to act like it was infinity perfect.

Also if you had read my doggone post carefully, you would have seen that I already acknowledge that the Eds were always messed around with. No duh it's nothing new that the Eds always got mistreated and punished by the other kids before that crappy school season. Because...oh wait you guessed it! The scams were undeniably harmful and cheated the kids out of their money for their own selfish purposes. Season 5 on the other hand handled the Eds' mistreatment and punishments the wrong way when the scams were not the actual conflicts and instead relied on cruelty for comedy. Even the non-scam focused episodes in Season 1 were way better than Seasons 5-6. I especially love how Season 1 had a much more laidback and calm feel to the slapstick and the characters, and how the Eds' punishments were handled the right way as a result of their harmful scams and/or otherwise greedy nature for jawbreakers. Season 5 on the other hand felt very one-sided, as the Eds get hammered for no real reason and you guys honestly enjoy that mean-spirited nonsense that Season 5 dished out that was very uncalled for. More power to you.

M.C.

Banned
I feel like when it comes to Ed Edd n Eddy, I didn’t mind them being at school. I did have a problem with the extreme slapstick and violence that was present. I agree that a lot of it wasn’t funny and felt like the writers were just tormenting characters.

I won’t comment on Billy & Mandy because it’s been a long time since I’ve seen it.

I too didn't mind EEnE's shift to being school-focused, though I will agree that it's a step down from what made the show great.

Exactly. I didn't mind the school setting either. I just hated how the slapstick got unnecessarily overboard and handled the Eds' mistreatments and punishments the wrong way when the scams were not the actual conflicts. That's why Seasons 1-4 are way superior with the exceptions of the endings in a few episodes, unlike crappy Seasons 5-6. Glad there's open-minded people like you guys here that I quoted.

ThisGuy24

Okay good. More power to you. Acting like Ed, Edd n Eddy was infinity percent perfect from start to finish when it never really was. Only die-hard fans would say this. Yet are so quick to agree that Dexter's Lab and PPG suffered a huge decline in quality in their respective last two seasons, but when it came to Ed, Edd n Eddy, everyone wants to act like it was infinity perfect.

Also if you had read my doggone post carefully, you would have seen that I already acknowledge that the Eds were always messed around with. No duh it's nothing new that the Eds always got mistreated and punished by the other kids before that crappy school season. Because...oh wait you guessed it! The scams were undeniably harmful and cheated the kids out of their money for their own selfish purposes. Season 5 on the other hand handled the Eds' mistreatment and punishments the wrong way when the scams were not the actual conflicts and instead relied on cruelty for comedy. Even the non-scam focused episodes in Season 1 were way better than Seasons 5-6. I especially love how Season 1 had a much more laidback and calm feel to the slapstick and the characters, and how the Eds' punishments were handled the right way as a result of their harmful scams and/or otherwise greedy nature for jawbreakers. Season 5 on the other hand felt very one-sided, as the Eds get hammered for no real reason and you guys honestly enjoy that mean-spirited nonsense that Season 5 dished out that was very uncalled for. More power to you.
Wow! So much attitude for no reason, I never said it was perfect....at all. I gave my opinion like everyone else did.

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

Excuse me? When did I say that I consider Ed, Edd n Eddy to be perfect? Or that Dexter or PPG suffered a decline in quality? I don't understand why you're acting so hostile towards us just because we disagreed with what you said about the last 2 seasons of a cartoon.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Gonna be brutally honest with myself and all of you willing to read this... I'm not a fan of either of these shows, personally - but I actually understand why people do like them. Unlike most CN shows in my favorite decade for the channel (which is the 2010s, unpopular opinion that THAT is, too - I still enjoy most shows from said past decade so much more than these 2 examples on discussion in this thread, regardless.); EEnE and Billy & Mandy were actually funny when they weren't dumping on their MCs too much like they otherwise unfortunately did, sometimes.

BOTH EEnE and Billy & Mandy dumping too hard on their MCs sometimes was par for the course, as both were dark humor done right 90% of the time. I admit dark humor has grown on me (thanks to being exposed to better shows in the past decade and some current shows doing it well enough, without saying examples.), I'm just not that big on it, like in these two examples here because of how certain characters in these shows come off insufferable, rather than likable, to me, compared to other shows I've seen as of late that know better.

Regardless, whatever both did is still better than the absolute trash fest that is My Gym Partners a Monkey, honestly.

As for proper slapstick, alongside the dark humor, that is another thing BOTH get right, which is especially true with EEnE..... And definitely something I'd like to see in more cartoons in this new decade that aren't just those new Looney Tunes shorts that just came out, to be furthermore brutally honest here.

M.C.

Banned
Wow! So much attitude for no reason, I never said it was perfect....at all. I gave my opinion like everyone else did.

Excuse me? When did I say that I consider Ed, Edd n Eddy to be perfect? Or that Dexter or PPG suffered a decline in quality? I don't understand why you're acting so hostile towards us just because we disagreed with what you said about the last 2 seasons of a cartoon.

Oh please. There’s a difference between an opinion and an argumentative reasoning.

Face it. In Seasons 1-4, the dynamic between the Eds and the other kids were portrayed in the “Good vs. Good” scenario. The Eds’ scams were harmful in some way, shape or form. Even episodes that did not focused on the scams still portrayed the “Good vs. Good” scenario in a clever matter with some exceptions. Whereas in Season 5, it was just one-sided, and only relied on cruelty for comedy towards the Eds just for the sake of showcasing their already established buttmonkey status. Mean-spiritedness for the sake of it is something I’ve grown tired of over time. I just want to see more creativity and variety in general. Season 5 clearly lacked one thing that Seasons 1-4 had: creativity.

Please tell me what was so creative about “Cleanliness Is Next to Edness”, “Pick an Ed”, “Too Smart for His Own Ed”, “Tinker Ed”, “The Good, the Bad, and the Ed”, and “Smile for the Ed”? Those episodes were just everyone being huge a-holes to either one or all three Eds just for cruelty for comedy. The Eds’ dynamic between one another was also ruined. Eddy in particular became a huge abusive jerk face of a leader to his two best friends than he already was, yet is a complete coward when confronted by Sarah, Kevin, and the Kanker Sisters. He was never like this in Season 1 so why did Danny Antonucci decided to butcher Eddy’s character all of an sudden? It should have not took him this long to finally redeem Eddy’s character in the movie finale either. There were even some episodes in Season 5 in general where Eddy is just a useless character and is mostly there just to showcase his flanderization.

“Tinker Ed” in particular is a pretty poorly written episode. Sarah and Jimmy acted up in the library (a place where you’re suppose to be quiet) while Kevin was trying to do his work and study for an upcoming test. So Kevin had every right to mock Jimmy. Once Eddy decided to scam his butt, Jimmy starts getting all emotional again. Sarah confronts and batters Eddy, while telling him that he and his two best friends better fix this problem before sundown. Even though Eddy’s scam was utterly harmless. So the Eds were forced to humiliate themselves by dressing as fairies to get Jimmy to believe in fairy tales again under the threat of Sarah. But then Jimmy reveals he was never depressed and the whole thing turned out to be a scam against the Eds as payback, even though Eddy’s scam was once again, utterly harmless. It is then revealed that Kevin was also part of Jimmy and Sarah’s scam, and to think Kevin was justified in the beginning yet still helps Sarah and Jimmy anyway.

That’s a pretty bad example for a kids comedy show and you guys still enjoy episodes like this? Overly-mean spiritedness and cruelty for comedy? Something My Gym Partner’s a Monkey already does? More power to you. Even Tom and Jerry is better at portraying the “Good vs. Good” scenario than the school season of Ed, Edd n Eddy ever did.

5YearsOnEastCoast

Oh please. There’s a difference between an opinion and an argumentative reasoning.

Face it. In Seasons 1-4, the dynamic between the Eds and the other kids were portrayed in the “Good vs. Good” scenario. The Eds’ scams were harmful in some way, shape or form. Even episodes that did not focused on the scams still portrayed the “Good vs. Good” scenario in a clever matter with some exceptions. Whereas in Season 5, it was just one-sided, and only relied on cruelty for comedy towards the Eds just for the sake of showcasing their already established buttmonkey status. Mean-spiritedness for the sake of it is something I’ve grown tired of over time. I just want to see more creativity and variety in general. Season 5 clearly lacked one thing that Seasons 1-4 had: creativity.

Please tell me what was so creative about “Cleanliness Is Next to Edness”, “Pick an Ed”, “Too Smart for His Own Ed”, “Tinker Ed”, “The Good, the Bad, and the Ed”, and “Smile for the Ed”? Those episodes were just everyone being huge a-holes to either one or all three Eds just for cruelty for comedy. The Eds’ dynamic between one another was also ruined. Eddy in particular became a huge abusive jerk face of a leader to his two best friends than he already was, yet is a complete coward when confronted by Sarah, Kevin, and the Kanker Sisters. He was never like this in Season 1 so why did Danny Antonucci decided to butcher Eddy’s character all of an sudden? It should have not took him this long to finally redeem Eddy’s character in the movie finale either. There were even some episodes in Season 5 in general where Eddy is just a useless character and is mostly there just to showcase his flanderization.

“Tinker Ed” in particular is a pretty poorly written episode. Sarah and Jimmy acted up in the library (a place where you’re suppose to be quiet) while Kevin was trying to do his work and study for an upcoming test. So Kevin had every right to mock Jimmy. Once Eddy decided to scam his butt, Jimmy starts getting all emotional again. Sarah confronts and batters Eddy, while telling him that he and his two best friends better fix this problem before sundown. Even though Eddy’s scam was utterly harmless. So the Eds were forced to humiliate themselves by dressing as fairies to get Jimmy to believe in fairy tales again under the threat of Sarah. But then Jimmy reveals he was never depressed and the whole thing turned out to be a scam against the Eds as payback, even though Eddy’s scam was once again, utterly harmless. It is then revealed that Kevin was also part of Jimmy and Sarah’s scam, and to think Kevin was justified in the beginning yet still helps Sarah and Jimmy anyway.

That’s a pretty bad example for a kids comedy show and you guys still enjoy episodes like this? Overly-mean spiritedness and cruelty for comedy? Something My Gym Partner’s a Monkey already does? More power to you. Even Tom and Jerry is better at portraying the “Good vs. Good” scenario than the school season of Ed, Edd n Eddy ever did.

You look like you are trying to force your opinion on us.

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

I think you're taking this way too seriously. Relax bro, it's just a cartoon. There's no need to act like this towards others just because they don't share the same view on something as meaningless as a tv show's last few seasons that aired more than a decade ago.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.

I'm not even that big on this show and I think you're kinda over - thinking / overexaggerating on this. I agree that My Gym Partner's a Monkey is a worse off show, but I think the only real reason I could ever dislike something about EEnE is because of the Kankers.

The Kankers were just villain sues, at least IMHO. The rest of the show did things right when they (the Kankers) weren't in the way, 95% of the time by having the Eds screw up on their own volition, rather than because someone of a different gender than them got too touchy - grabby for their liking, honestly.

Other than my absolute disliking of the Kankers for being nothing more than villain sues getting in the way of an otherwise good dynamic already established without them, I understand why this show is still popular today and trying to shut people up about it (like I hope you're not, but unfortunately feel you're coming off doing here...) is a mistake after awhile. Something I've just about made peace with - something you'll need to do for yourself someday, as well.

M.C.

Banned
I think you're taking this way too seriously. Relax bro, it's just a cartoon. There's no need to act like this towards others just because they don't share the same view on something as meaningless as a tv show's last few seasons that aired more than a decade ago.

I love the typical everyday catchphrase you done spewed out: "iT's jUsT a CaRtOoN iT iSn'T mEaT tO Be SeNsIbLe oR ReAliStIc". That itself is just a completely ignorant and braindead response, and adds no such value to the discussion. Which further summarizes my point. Trust and believe if we were to talk about Dexter's Laboratory seasons 3-4 and the original PPG seasons 5-6, almost everyone would be quick to agree. Yet when it comes to Ed, Edd n Eddy's school season, somehow everyone thinks it's infinity percent perfect. Oh well, just goes to show how completely hypocritical and ironic you guys are.

If cartoons "weren't that serious", trust and believe adults like Danny Antonucci would have never made them into existence to begin with, we wouldn't have public forums like this based on classic and modern television, not to mention that classic and modern cartoons (including live-action and anime) will always be talked about no matter what. So please spare me on that schmuck trope you done spewed out.

I'm not even that big on this show and I think you're kinda over - thinking / overexaggerating on this. I agree that My Gym Partner's a Monkey is a worse off show, but I think the only real reason I could ever dislike something about EEnE is because of the Kankers.

The Kankers were just villain sues, at least IMHO. The rest of the show did things right when they (the Kankers) weren't in the way, 95% of the time by having the Eds screw up on their own volition, rather than because someone of a different gender than them got too touchy - grabby for their liking, honestly.

Other than my absolute disliking of the Kankers for being nothing more than villain sues getting in the way of an otherwise good dynamic already established without them, I understand why this show is still popular today and trying to shut people up about it (like I hope you're not, but unfortunately feel you're coming off doing here...) is a mistake after awhile. Something I've just about made peace with - something you'll need to do for yourself someday, as well.

So why are you still in this thread if you're not a big fan of the show then? You hypocrite. And yeah, the only flaw with the Kanker Sisters is that they pretty much get away with everything they do to the Eds, making them Villain Sues till the movie finale.

Face it, Season 5 sucked big time, except a few episodes like Truth or Ed and its sister episode, This Won't Hurt an Ed. It was just everyone bullying the Eds for no real reason. Besides, there's a reason why Season 5 has mixed reviews from critics and fans alike, instead of actually being well received like with Season 1-4. Season 1-4 handled the good vs good scenarios way better with some exceptions. Same with the classic Tom and Jerry and its 2006-2008 TV spin-off Tom and Jerry Tales, including the first four direct-to-video films.

Just listing an "opinion" is honestly pretty boring and doesn't really add much to any discussion on social media in general. This is a public forum anyway. Who gives a cent if the series is old? That's like saying your grandmother is old, so therefore, you don't have to give two cents about her anymore.

Either provide an argumentative reasoning or just leave this thread. Simple.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I had a very hard time watching Ed, Edd, and Eddy when it was airing. I kept hearing nothing but good things from people online, but the squiggly and bright animation made me a bit dizzy, and the voices are like nails on a chalkboard, which made it unwatchable.

Billy and Mandy was all right though. Mandy was cool. I liked the concept of a little girl who just hates everyone. When her best friends are Grim and Billy, that is totally understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts