What cartoon was more true to the Duck Universe?

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Do you mean distant as being its own thing for this reboot like in name only?.
more of an expansion of various source material while also veering closer to the intentions of the people who established these characters and settings.
"In name only" reboot would be a completely divorced from any source take like the Halle Berry Catwoman movie.

colomb

The Lion Guard's animation is exactly as good as a feature film from the 1990's. Animation techniques have improved so much that 1990's Disney movie style can be done on a TV budget. 1940's Disney style certainly could have been.
One of that show's animators, Aleena Beckett commented on this video, and it doesn't seem that even they think the animation is that good to put it on par with the movie. While technology has improved, there's no way declining viewership hasn't also affected the budgets that these shows are on.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
One of that show's animators, Aleena Beckett commented on this video, and it doesn't seem that even they think the animation is that good to put it on par with the movie. While technology has improved, there's no way declining viewership hasn't also affected the budgets that these shows are on.
Be that as it may, my point that the Ducks could be animated more on-model and classically stands.

Last edited:

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
It's odd to compare it with that Catwoman for anyone saying it's that distant.
The comparison I made was to define "in name only". It's pretty apparent the Duck Tales reboot is not that whatsoever.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
It doesn't, the vast majority of the complaints leveled at the show are older people saying "I don't like the animation". These are people who have never watched the show and don't know the difference between art style and animation. The response to the show otherwise has been overwhelmingly positive.
Well, it's not just some fans of the original who have issues with the reboot but also longtime Scrooge McDuck writer Don Rosa himself.

colomb

Looking into that tweet, Don Rosa was way too harsh on it. The show is called DuckTales not The Life and Times Of Scrooge McDuck.
He also tweeted "not even the hat is right", and at that time only the first episode had aired.

He even disowned the show before we knew any details back in 2015, he was always going to hate it.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Looking into that tweet, Don Rosa was way too harsh on it. The show is called DuckTales not The Life and Times Of Scrooge McDuck.
If anything Rosa is being too kind. This was way before some of the later appalling shenanigans the series got up to like sexualizing Magica DeSpell or making the season finales epic battles. I worry about Rosa's mental health at this point. He must be going into conniptions.

The reboot seems to be designed solely by and for people who hate the Disney Ducks and find them boring and lame. People like Rosa (and me) who actually love them are out of luck.

SweetShop209

I'm pretty sure there's still a sense of passion for DuckTales 2017. Besides, the more epic finales with high spectacle is typical for modern Disney shows that aren't slice of life (i.e Gravity Falls, Randy Cunningham, Amphibia , Penn Zero, Legend Of The Three Caballeros, just to name a few).

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
or making the season finales epic battles.
Disney+ hasn't launched here yet so I can't know for sure, but I assume Legend of the Three Caballeros has epic battles every episode or so.

I don't think anyone watches DuckTales 2017 for its "epic" battles, because they are not that epic and they are also not a central part of the show. They are just there to end a season, I suppose? I'd say there is a 50% chance that Disney asks for epic season finales.

Last edited:

Freddy

In fairness to Rosa, neither that tweet nor FB post are him bashing the show. In former he is just telling people that his artwork are part of the original comics, not Ducktales (which is fair, since majority of Americans know Disney Ducks more as cartoon characters, rather than comic ones and I imagine he is tired of verbally explaining it to every single person visiting his booth), while in the latter he explains that he has zero involment with the (then upcoming) reboot and doesn't really care to have any, yet reminds people that he still thinks the original show was great.

Is Rosa salty about the popularity of the show and as a Barks - purists hates it? Probably, but he has been pretty polite about it.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Disney+ hasn't launched here yet so I can't know for sure, but I assume Legend of the Three Caballeros has epic battles every episode or so.
First off, Three Caballeros isn't based on the comics so it is allowed more leeway there. Secondly, none of the "epic battles" on that show involve the Caballeros engaging in violence to solve their problems. If a good guy does violence, they are usually a supernatural being. Donald and his friends mostly stay out of that aspect of the show.

Sometimes when Donald and his friends are turned into giant monsters there is violence involved. But only against mythological beasts. Not against thinking and talking people like Magica or the Moonites.
I don't think anyone watches DuckTales 2017 for its "epic" battles, because they are not that epic and they are also not a central part of the show. They are just there to end a season, I suppose? I'd say there is a 50% chance that Disney asks for epic season finales.
I don't think people watch the show for the battles either which is another reason why they grate so much. I also don't think Disney asked for them which somehow makes them even more egregious to me.

SweetShop209

There's something interesting I found on tv tropes for the original DuckTales series.

Screenshot_20200713-105756.png

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Can we go a little off-topic here? I always thought Seinfeld was overrated even as it was airing. I loved the idea of a show about nothing. But having the cast always hugging each other on magazine covers and going on fawning press tours worked entirely against that idea.

I probably would have loved Seinfeld if it had a similar history to Taxi: A minor hit, a critical darling, running a few perfect seasons, and canceled before we were all sick of it. Because it was the most hyped show ever and ran for nearly a decade, I could never appreciate it for what it was trying to do.

the greenman

I find it funny we adults are judging cartoons we grew up with as if they were made for adults. Granted, some series were made with greater details to be able to appeal to older folk. However most were simply for children.

I personally own Gargoyles and Talespin on dvd for the very reason I'm seeing more entertainment in stuff than as a kid. I have not revisited Duck Tales, Chip n Dale, or Darkwing Duck since my youth. So perhaps that's a testament to something.
Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts