The Owl House News And Discussion Thread

Rhaynebow

Ha! We got a sports episode AND a dance episode! All I need is a field trip episode and a baby flour sack episode and I win!

Jokes aside, these next few episodes look neat! Although I hope we find out more about the other characters. I think we’ve seen more Luz with Amity than Luz with Eda at this point. Have them be a couple already and let’s see what else is going on in the Boiling Isles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Korra_Fan

Although I hope we find out more about the other characters. I think we’ve seen more Luz with Amity than Luz with Eda at this point.

Not really. You may feel that way because "Adventures in the Elements" was leaked ahead of time, but aside from that, "Lost in Language", and the very end of "Covention" we haven't gotten that much of Luz w/ Amity (in a positive way, that is) when compared to Luz w/ Eda and King or Luz w/ Willow and Gus, which are character combos that also have more episodes about them upcoming.

Also, looks like the season finale will be heavily Eda and Lilith based. Called it.

Last edited:

JTZ

Not really. You may feel that way because "Adventures in the Elements" was leaked ahead of time, but aside from that, "Lost in Language", and the very end of "Covention" we haven't gotten that much of Luz w/ Amity (in a positive way, that is) when compared to Luz w/ Eda and King or Luz w/ Willow and Gus, which are character combos that also have more episodes about them upcoming.

Also, looks like the season finale will be heavily Eda and Lilith based. Called it.

Thing is, while we may have gotten more terms of in quantity of other character combos, Luz+Amity is easily the one of the highest quality. The dynamics between all the other characters, even Luz and Eda, feel stale in comparison.

Maybe it would have been the best decision to make the show primarly about these two.

zoombie

Sense and Insensitivity

Well this was an okay episode. The whole Luz and King plot, it reminds me of something I would see out of Stewie and Brian from Family Guy would do. Who is Stewie and who is Brian? Who knows, I think King might be both of them, ha ha ha.

This does have some elements of the second episode of being taking advantage of.

The B plot was good, nice to see Eda and Lilith re bond, and we know from the school records, she does care about Lilith.

Rhaynebow

Pretty sweet episode! Although it concerns me that Luz and King let the publisher get away with nearly shrinking them and letting him sign another deal with Tiny Nose...

glennbyrnes

No wonder fewer people read books nowadays.

Pretty sweet episode! Although it concerns me that Luz and King let the publisher get away with nearly shrinking them and letting him sign another deal with Tiny Nose...

At least they freed those he did imprison.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
I had low expectations for this episode because it's a King episode, and now, having watched it, I must say that this episode... completely... matched my expectations. All Luz wanted was to live her dream but King just haaad to take it away from her because he's an egocentric little brat. It's not even funny how easily he was absolved with a lackluster apology. I appreciate that they didn't make Luz and King's conflict overly dramatic, but I really wish Luz had been tougher on him and properly called him out on his selfish character. He can't keep getting away with it.

Alright, I'm done getting angry at a cartoon dog. Thankfully, this episode is saved by the significantly more interesting B-plot. I loved seeing Eda and Lilith genuinely bond for the first time. It appears that Lilith never means any harm on Eda. Emphasis on appears. It's also ironic that Lilith tired out quicker than the supposed "tired old woman".

Perla Magica

Digital Love
I agree with you all that the B-plot with Eda and Lilith was fantastic, but the A-plot wasn't really bad, it was a bit average.

This episode kinda reminded me about my personal story, when I was 17/18-year-old, I was writing a book with an interesting story and characters, but I never didn't even published it.

ShadowBeast

Sense and Insensitivity: The B-plot with Eda and Lilith felt like a repeat of "Witches Before Wizards", except with Eda and Lilith being conned instead of Luz. The creature that conned them even showed signs of treachery when selling a map to Eda. I loved the development between the sisters though. Despite their issues with each other, they obviously still care very much about each other. I also loved Lilith's "AAAAHH, NO YOU WON'T!" scene. Considering her comments about Eda's age, Lilith is obviously the younger sister who tries to be a mature as possible, but Eda forces out her mature-side, while Eda is very immature, but episodes like "Lost in Language" shows us that she has a mature-side to her.

Now with the A-plot, King was indeed very selfish, but he really hit the mark on "shipping". Piniet reminds me of lesser version of Toffee from Star Vs. Aside from being a lizardMan, he was a schemer and had a box that can crush it's victims.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
I agree with you all that the B-plot with Eda and Lilith was fantastic, but the A-plot wasn't really bad, it was a bit average.

This episode kinda reminded me about my personal story, when I was 17/18-year-old, I was writing a book with an interesting story and characters, but I never didn't even published it.
Yeah I wouldn't say it was bad either. At least not inherently. Just could've been done better imo (I already explained how).

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Gotta agree with a majority of y'all that Sense and Insensitivity is only truly memorable for what's going on between Eda and Lilith (the sisters), honestly - simply because there's actual plot potential there, plus positive development and interaction between two characters against each other, which isn't that easy to pull off and do well, like it otherwise was here, IMHO.

While I saw that flower or whatever it does being a scam from a mile away, the real payoff was the character development and positive interaction (for once) between Eda and Lilith - almost makes me sorry Lilith is not someone to exactly root for, since she ain't on the right side of things. Neither is Amity, to go along further about it, since Lilith is mentoring her to being on the Emperor's payroll and whatnot.

All of what we see in this part of the episode, IMHO? It most definitely makes up for how they did wrong to Lilith in that crappy body-swap waste of time that was Episode 8, more than anything.

Sense And Insensitivity ends up being rather middling (Mid Tier), due to whom it's really focused on, however. Luz isn't in any trouble with me, even though her story is just rather sucky fanfiction everyone does when they're in their teens. If she wants to be a writer IRL, her aim would be to grow outta that actually study how to be a GOOD writer, thank you very much. It's how King acted that drags things down for me royally.

I'm having a hard time liking him after how this turned out and it only brings up why having more than one mascot character who isn't that likable is always a death knell for any show that does it, honestly.
I've said it before - Owlbert (Eda's staff) is the only mascot this show needs. King needs to develop into a less crappy and actual character after this that's worth something for me to not being hatin' on him too much, honestly. Hooty, however? He can go burn for being so obnoxious and a chore to listen to.
THE END.

I usually don't talk this much about specific episodes of shows I otherwise like, but that felt worth it. Take care, now.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
"Sense and Insensitivity:" That was...alright. I expected the A-plot to be funnier, and while it did contain some slightly humorous moments ("My stowy," "Spend money on this thing I wrote," "Now with more swears," etc.), none of them were super memorable. I did like the creepy lizard publisher. The show does have some creative characters and concepts, but none of them seem...significant. At least not yet. Luz didn't appear to do much here, as the plot centered mostly around King. We've already had King-centric plots in the show's short past, and so far, none of them have been fantastic, imo.

The B-plot was better. I really hate when episodes have a super interesting B-plot but a lackluster A-plot. This is why I was disappointed with "The Last Mabelcorn." I wondered why the merchant didn't make Eda pay for the map, but once he was revealed as the "surprise villain," it made sense. I hope we figure out who this Emperor person is, as well as Lillith's master plan.

doomrider7

That One Guy
I had low expectations for this episode because it's a King episode, and now, having watched it, I must say that this episode... completely... matched my expectations. All Luz wanted was to live her dream but King just haaad to take it away from her because he's an egocentric little brat. It's not even funny how easily he was absolved with a lackluster apology. I appreciate that they didn't make Luz and King's conflict overly dramatic, but I really wish Luz had been tougher on him and properly called him out on his selfish character. He can't keep getting away with it.

Alright, I'm done getting angry at a cartoon dog. Thankfully, this episode is saved by the significantly more interesting B-plot. I loved seeing Eda and Lilith genuinely bond for the first time. It appears that Lilith never means any harm on Eda. Emphasis on appears. It's also ironic that Lilith tired out quicker than the supposed "tired old woman".

Don't disagree and I do like that Luz was happy for him if reticently until he started being a brat about. I do like that they fleshed out that it's due to a severe inferiority complex he seems to have. And yeah the Eda and Lilith stuff was awesome and hope we see more of that.

StellaMagic

Sense and Insensitivity: The B-plot with Eda and Lilith felt like a repeat of "Witches Before Wizards", except with Eda and Lilith being conned instead of Luz. The creature that conned them even showed signs of treachery when selling a map to Eda. I loved the development between the sisters though. Despite their issues with each other, they obviously still care very much about each other. I also loved Lilith's "AAAAHH, NO YOU WON'T!" scene. Considering her comments about Eda's age, Lilith is obviously the younger sister who tries to be mature as possible, but Eda forces out her mature-side, while Eda is very immature, but episodes like "Lost in Language" shows us that she has a mature-side to her.

Now with the A-plot, King was indeed very selfish, but he really hit the mark on "shipping". Piniet reminds me of a lesser version of Toffee from Star Vs. Aside from being a lizardMan, he was a schemer and had a box that can crush its victims.
Hope we see Piniet again. I sense he could be someone who is useful to the Emperor. It was good to see Lily and Eda work together. It showed that Lily cares for her sister. No doubt that the "reward" she is seeking to get from the Emperor is a cure for Eda. How much you wanna bet that Lily is being played, and the Emperor appointed her as leader of the Emperor's Coven because she's the only one to get close to Eda, and by giving Eda an enemy she can't fight, Eda would be his prisoner in an instant.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Hope we see Piniet again. I sense he could be someone who is useful to the Emperor. It was good to see Lily and Eda work together. It showed that Lily cares for her sister. No doubt that the "reward" she is seeking to get from the Emperor is a cure for Eda. How much you wanna bet that Lily is being played, and the Emperor appointed her as leader of the Emperor's Coven because she's the only one to get close to Eda, and by giving Eda an enemy she can't fight, Eda would be his prisoner in an instant.

Sounds predictable (IMHO), sadly enough - too bad if it works, it works (it's all in doing it well, after all.). Furthermore, it's better than trying to "subvert expectations" like The Last Jedi did - I'd rather have Lilith ultimately be a good guy whose on the wrong side and recognizes that, hence why Eda ain't going anywhere near all that Imperial noisemaking, as it is - at least then the strain (unfortunate rift) in their familial sisterhood bond now truly begins to make sense and is better than having them pointlessly fight each other for less than stellar reasons (as Episodes 5 & 8 show us.), as a result.

Eda may be quite the troublemaker, but she knows worse people than her when she sees it, so that's a valid excuse to be as she is, wrong as someone with less grey worldview would have you believe at first. Plus, it might show us that Eda does have some sense of heart in that she simply can't stand seeing fellow flesh and blood like Lilith go down this clear-as-day awful path with someone else who is clearly bad news for the whole citizenry of where Eda resides, honestly.

zoombie

Adventures In The Elements

A very simple episode, I really liked it. First of all, we see more development in Amity, she is 100% friendly in this episode. I didn't think that development would happen so fast. Though if she is still hanging with that mean 3 eyed girl, she might still be with a bad crowd, but we will see.

Well I am surprised that up till now Luz only knew 1 spell, I thought she learned a couple of more.

Also we see some development Emira and Edric, maybe they aren't as bad as we thought. Giving what we saw of Amity's parents in the trailer, Amity needs some positive relationship in her family.

I am surprised they kept the eating bat joke giving the circumstances.

JTZ

I'm just copying what I wrote when the episode first aired:

I really liked the friendship between Luz and Amity. They've got a good dynamic, and Amity is an interesting character. Also, nice to see her siblings aren't stereotypical bully siblings, but were actually somewhat nice and caring towards Amity this time.

The whole "Luz learns magic from nature"-thing is also pretty clever. I was afraid Luz would only learn new spells by catching the glyphs on the magic circles with her camera or something, which could have become boring. Now I'm curious what kind of patterns in what places she'll come across. Also, it helps guide the show towards an underlying message ("Magic is everywhere").

As for the plot itself, it was okay. The setup about having to know two spells not to get in baby class was kind of a clumsy way to create tension, and I was a bit annoyed by Luz trying to hide the fact she only knows one spell from Amity and her siblings. Also, why did they even bother with that King-plot? It had a funny ending, but since this was a relatively important episode in regard to Luz learning magic, it was weird they added this completely redundant side-story.

I'd say he episode itself was good, though not great, and set up some nice character dynamics and developments for future episodes.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
I caved and watched the episode when it was leaked a few months ago, but I wanted to wait to post my thoughts until it aired properly.

"Adventures in the Elements:" The best episode in a while. Finally, we return to the "main" focus of the show (Luz training to become a witch). It was so great to see Eda actually teach Luz something, even if Luz didn't like her methods. Kind of sad that Luz only knew one spell up until this point, but I'm excited to see her learn more. The whole magic is connected to nature concept is one that I think will have potential. I also enjoyed seeing the return of Emira and Edric. I think they're really fun characters; they're mischievous and a bit naughty but not completely evil or mean-spirited.

As for Amity, she becomes a better character with each episode that features her. I love how they are developing her and Luz's friendship (
possibly romantic relationship later on, as hinted in the trailer
). I can't wait to see where they will take her arc; personally, I think it will be one of the stronger things about the show (so far, it already is).

Also, that bat eating joke...yikes...

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts