The Autism Discussion Thread

Parker-Shepherd

I'm studying for my exams and wondering why I didn't study more in the last 2+ months. Oh, right, I remember. I was too busy with homework... including the "all field trips are cancelled so here's even more homework" kind.

Yikes!

I'm ok, it's not ideal circumstances but I've found I have more time than I previously had, perfect for working on some projects.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Working at Wal Mart sucks during the pandemic. Noticed that aside from Anime Matsuri, October is the earliest time that a central US con. Have to be patient and hope things are safe. Still have no idea what Anime Matsuri is thinking considering every other summer con in Big XII land is cancelled.

Parker-Shepherd

Working at Wal Mart sucks during the pandemic. Noticed that aside from Anime Matsuri, October is the earliest time that a central US con. Have to be patient and hope things are safe. Still have no idea what Anime Matsuri is thinking considering every other summer con in Big XII land is cancelled.

The Coachella music festival was moved to October too but that might go virtual if things haven't changed by then.

Comic Con is going virtual this year but no word on how they plan to go about doing it.

Parker-Shepherd

Well, it's been six months since the pandemic started, counting the outbreak that started in Wuhan in January.

How's everyone doing?

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
I don't mind staying home for the most part. Sure, I'd like to go out to places like before (among other things involving other people), but I'd also like to not potentially spread/get the disease.

More worrisome is how the disease appears to be getting worse in some parts of the country, even though that currently doesn't include my state.

Parker-Shepherd

I don't mind staying home for the most part. Sure, I'd like to go out to places like before (among other things involving other people), but I'd also like to not potentially spread/get the disease.

More worrisome is how the disease appears to be getting worse in some parts of the country, even though that currently doesn't include my state.

I know what you mean, the number of new cases is disturbing.

I've also noticed a lot of people have gone overboard with getting pets since this crisis started.

TsWade2

Even though I sometimes have a hard time accepting myself being autistic, but I’ve been doing a musical theatre once a year helps me become a different person. Acting in drama really helps me to overcome of my autism.

Last edited:

glennbyrnes

Just thought I'd post an Autism related thread.

I don't know if anyone else here has talked about this here.

Ever since I got diagnosed two years ago, I notice a lot of people on sites like fanfiction.net are Autistic.

Nothing wrong with that, I'm glad there's others out there like me.

There's also a lot of like-minded people who attend Comic Con and other events.

Like for example, at one Comic Con, voice actress Tara Strong spent time with a fan who was Autistic and Deaf.
It was a great moment.
I'm autistic.

Parker-Shepherd

Anyone ever had those moments where you have a conversation about autism and somebody tries to compare you to their relative or some other autistic person they know?

It's like people forget it's a spectrum.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Anyone ever had those moments where you have a conversation about autism and somebody tries to compare you to their relative or some other autistic person they know?

It's like people forget it's a spectrum.
You can't expect a person who doesn't have autism to know as much about it as someone who does. Comparisons are all most people have to go by.

Parker-Shepherd

You can't expect a person who doesn't have autism to know as much about it as someone who does. Comparisons are all most people have to go by.

I think you misunderstood my post. What I meant by comparisons is when someone says something like: " Oh, my friend's kid is autistic, you're nothing like him".

People don't realize how offensive that sounds to an autistic person.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I think you misunderstood my post. What I meant by comparisons is when someone says something like: " Oh, my friend's kid is autistic, you're nothing like him".

People don't realize how offensive that sounds to an autistic person.
I don't find it offensive it all. I assume everyone else is dumb about stuff like that. If I took offense at every ignorant thing said by a person who doesn't understand autism, I'd be a very unhappy person. Usually what makes me offended is if the statement is malicious or designed to insult me and people with autism and Asperger's such as "vaccines cause autism", "autism is bad", or "autistic people are dangerous and should all be locked up." A person expressing surprise at the differences in the spectrum usually amuses rather than offends me.

Here is something we all need to learn. Instead of using a person saying something dumb about autism as an excuse for a confrontation, use it as an excuse for a teaching experience. Your life will be better for it.

Parker-Shepherd

I don't find it offensive it all. I assume everyone else is dumb about stuff like that. If I took offense at every ignorant thing said by a person who doesn't understand autism, I'd be a very unhappy person. Usually what makes me offended is if the statement is malicious or designed to insult me and people with autism and Asperger's such as "vaccines cause autism", "autism is bad", or "autistic people are dangerous and should all be locked up." A person expressing surprise at the differences in the spectrum usually amuses rather than offends me.

Here is something we all need to learn. Instead of using a person saying something dumb about autism as an excuse for a confrontation, use it as an excuse for a teaching experience. Your life will be better for it.

I've gone back and forth about autism stereotypes before but it sometimes goes downhill. There's been articles about this.

The point of why autistic people find it offensive when we're compared to others is it continues to circulate the stereotype that all autistic people are the same when in reality it varies from person to person.

Like for example there's a stereotype that if a person can talk, write and even remotely seem 'normal' then they're not really autistic which ridiculous because once upon a time, many autistic people were non speaking as kids but eventually changed.

Parker-Shepherd

Anyone ever start a conversation with someone about a movie or TV show you both like and it goes well but then all of a sudden you don't hear from them and find out they blocked you?

After that, you try to figure out what happened and all you want to do is apologize to the person and hope they'll understand but it's likely that won't happen.

Most of the time the person doesn't know you're Autistic, so they mistake those traits for being annoying or odd.

At the same time, they don't let you know if you're bothering them.

Long story short, your feelings are hurt and it doesn't go away for a while because it reminds you that already have a hard time making friends.

It gets to be discouraging after a while.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm not happy about Sia's upcoming film Music and yes, I saw the trailer since unfortunately, it stereotypes autism.
I've heard that she had pretty bad reactions on Twitter from people pointing out that her movie is problematic too, which is pretty telling all things considered.

Anyone ever start a conversation with someone about a movie or TV show you both like and it goes well but then all of a sudden you don't hear from them and find out they blocked you?

After that, you try to figure out what happened and all you want to do is apologize to the person and hope they'll understand but it's likely that won't happen.

Most of the time the person doesn't know you're Autistic, so they mistake those traits for being annoying or odd.

At the same time, they don't let you know if you're bothering them.

Long story short, your feelings are hurt and it doesn't go away for a while because it reminds you that already have a hard time making friends.

It gets to be discouraging after a while.
I can understand how finding out that you've been blocked is upsetting. However, it isn't really worth spending time and emotional energy trying to understand why they decided to block you. It's better to just move on with trying to talk to other people instead.

Parker-Shepherd

I've heard that she had pretty bad reactions on Twitter from people pointing out that her movie is problematic too, which is pretty telling all things considered.

I can understand how finding out that you've been blocked is upsetting. However, it isn't really worth spending time and emotional energy trying to understand why they decided to block you. It's better to just move on with trying to talk to other people instead.
There's actually an article that showed Disabled representation on television has broken a record...

The thing is, it's possible that most of these roles were given to non Disabled actors & actresses.

----
As for being blocked, you brought up a point, it's just hard and confusing when you got along with the person you were having a conversation with.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts