Upcoming "Star Wars" Feature Films and Series News & Discussion Part Two (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Last edited:

khuddle

I can't believe how bored I feel about all these upcoming SW projects. I was once a Star Wars super-fan --- I was a teenager when the original 3 came out in the early 80s. But the prequels and sequels (with the exception of the charming Force Awakens) have just about permanently killed my interest in the franchise. Sad but true.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
There's a rumor circulating the internet that Disney is considering scrubbing the entire sequel film trilogy from being canon, and starting over. And that there's a "civil war" between Kathleen Kennedy and Jon Favreau (the guy running the "Mandolorean" series) for the heart and soul of the Star Wars franchise going forward. Click that link for the logistics (the "in story" rationale) for how they would undo the sequel universe (which is fun "fanboy theory" stuff), and no, I'm not ready to believe it's true...though that would be bold.

Yes, it's internet rumors, but I do believe Star Wars is now at a turning point, and there probably is SOME sort of intense debate going on between higher ups at Disney.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Erase Carrie Fisher's final performances as Princess Leia? Idiotic.

I love the sequel trilogy. Much more than the first six movies.

Fortunately this sounds like a bogus rumor to me and wishful thinking from fanboys unhappy about the sequels having a female lead.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Erase Carrie Fisher's final performances as Princess Leia? Idiotic.

Well, going by that "theory" above, they could say "it still happened, it just happened in a pocket dimension, with no real consequence for what's going on in the 'REAL' Star Wars universe. Now we can get back to Luke being a hero and not sitting on an island drinking green milk."

Which is a hilarious way for certain fans to rationalize it.

I had problems with the sequels, but they're not the "worst thing ever". In fact, all 3 films had some great moments. Prequels had problems as well. Original trilogy still the best.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I honestly didn't know Movie Web was still around. I wouldn't believe any of that poodoo.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
One of my best friends does not own a computer, but she absolutely adores everything about the sequel trilogy, which is another reason I dig her. She has no access to internet rumors but I think this idea would absolutely break her heart. Since it appears to be an unfounded rumor I am very glad I kept my mouth shut about it when we talked yesterday.

I hope it's nonsense if only for her sake.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
One of my best friends does not own a computer, but she absolutely adores everything about the sequel trilogy, which is another reason I dig her. She has no access to internet rumors but I think this idea would absolutely break her heart. Since it appears to be an unfounded rumor I am very glad I kept my mouth shut about it when we talked yesterday.

I hope it's nonsense if only for her sake.

There is absolutely no way they're going to do this. Are they really going to remove all that Rey merchandise from Disney stores and pretend it never happened? I also fail to see how this would make anyone happy. People were angry that the original trio didn't get a scene together and so they're what, going to do another trilogy in which none of them appear? They've spent a number of years promoting these movies and adding the new characters to the Disney canon. No way are Rey, Kylo Ren, and BB-8 just going to get kicked to the curve.

How could there be a civil war between Favreau and Kennedy? He works for her. Not getting along? Fire him. Star Wars is at a turning point, but it was always going to be after the sequel trilogy ended. There's no clear cut way on how to proceed. Personally, I'm fine with continuing with the Disney+ shows. If they're going to make another movie I'd wait at least a decade, if not longer. One of the things that made the build to The Phantom Menace and The Force Awakens special was the length of time between trilogies, which allowed interest and nostalgia in them to percolate. The thing that Star Wars is missing for me is that a new movie is no longer an event. Yearly movies are fine for Marvel, but I'd argue Disney needs to treat Star Wars with a bit more prestige.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I don't think that segment of fans is hoping this would wipe away the characters (Rey, Kylo, BB-8). I think they're hoping for a "redo" of "The Last Jedi", or to untangle some of the convoluted plot points of the sequel trilogy. Or maybe they just want Luke to....do better, this time. I don't know. EDIT: Or maybe there are some people that just want to erase the films completely, but that's dumb.

I agree, it's fan theorizing - projecting their hopes onto a corporation that is probably just ready to move on.

Spideyzilla said:
How could there be a civil war between Favreau and Kennedy? He works for her. Not getting along? Fire him.

But don't you know - they're about to take the crown away from Kennedy and give it to Favreau! "Mandolorian is great, everyone loves it, here's the keys to the kingdom, what do you think we should do next for feature films?"

I mean look: Taika Waititi worked with Favreau on the Mandolorian, and now they've asked Waititi to do the next feature film! It must mean Favreau is on the rise!!! :p

Star Wars is at a turning point, but it was always going to be after the sequel trilogy ended.

I think that's the more interesting element. Where does Star Wars go from here? The upcoming Taika Waititi film is sounding like a "placeholder", something to pass the time until Disney decides on where to go next (I could be wrong about that though).

Last edited:

Spideyzilla

Staff member
I don't think that segment of fans is hoping this would wipe away the characters (Rey, Kylo, BB-8). I think they're hoping for a "redo" of "The Last Jedi", or to untangle some of the convoluted plot points of the sequel trilogy. Or maybe they just want Luke to....do better, this time. I don't know. EDIT: Or maybe there are some people that just want to erase the films completely, but that's dumb.

I agree, it's fan theorizing - projecting their hopes onto a corporation that is probably just ready to move on.
If they did it and made another sequel trilogy, I GUARANTEE these same fans would hate it and view the current sequel trilogy on more favourable terms. I can just picture the videos talking about how maybe Last Jedi wasn't THAT bad...

But don't you know - they're about to take the crown away from Kennedy and give it to Favreau! "Mandolorian is great, everyone loves it, here's the keys to the kingdom, what do you think we should do next for feature films?"

I mean look: Taika Waititi worked with Favreau on the Mandolorian, and now they've asked Waititi to do the next feature film! It must mean Favreau is on the rise!!! :p

Yes, that's how it works! Not like Waititi is white-hot right now or anything! Anyone who thinks this forgets just how hit and miss Favreau really is. Just months before he was praised as a hero for The Mandolorian, he was getting destroyed for The Lion King. Look at his filmography, he's made a bad or forgettable movie for every good one he's made. Not the kind of guy I'd necessarily want running a property.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I think that's the more interesting element. Where does Star Wars go from here? The upcoming Taika Waititi film is sounding like a "placeholder", something to pass the time until Disney decides on where to go next (I could be wrong about that though).
The High Republic arc in the print properties at least implies they're willing to do a big time skip, in this case, way back in time but the somewhat troubling part is that they still are focusing on Jedi. But Mandalorian was awesome and shows if they do it right, they can do a SW story with little of the Force involved -- of course that looks to be changing in season 2 lol. Still, the lead is a non-Jedi. So progress. I think the future will be non-Jedi characters but the Force will still have a role sort of like what we see with The Child. I'm still hoping the next movie trilogy is a big time skip forward and totally something new.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
07/10:
List of Star Wars related Comic-Con panels for July 24.
The Mandalorian and His Many Gadgets
10:00am
Daniel J. Glenn (podcast producer), Dr. Michael Dennin (science expert: ancient aliens, Star Wars tech), and Ben Siepser (bio-engineer) of the podcast Fascinating Gadgets, Gizmos, and Gear-Based Technologies explore the science behind the various tools Mando uses to secure his bounties. From tracking fobs and jetpacks, to wrist rockets and flamethrowers, they will examine the most well-equipped bounty hunter in the galaxy.
Star Wars Audiobooks: Doctor Aphra
11:00am
Get the inside scoop on the newest Star Wars Audiobook Original, Doctor Aphra, from inception to the incredible finished product performed by a full cast. You’ll hear from audiobook narrators Marc Thompson and Emily Woo Zeller, author Sarah Kuhn, and Del Rey editor Elizabeth Schaefer as they discuss this adaptation of the critically acclaimed Marvel comics series where Dr. Aphra teams up with Darth Vader, in a conversation moderated by audiobook producer Nick Martorelli.
Lucasfilm Publishing: Stories From a Galaxy Far, Far Away
12:00pm
Some of the biggest and best Star Wars authors talk about some of their exciting new projects set in a galaxy far, far away. Featuring Timothy Zahn, Alex Segura, Justina Ireland, George Mann, Preeti Chhibber, Tom Angleberger, Rebecca Roanhorse, Greg Pak, and Alyssa Wong. Moderated by This Week In Star Wars host Kristin Baver and Lucasfilm Publishing senior editor Robert Simpson.
The Psychology of Star Trek vs. Star Wars
2:00pm
Back by popular demand, the Trek vs Wars discussion returns to Comic-Con in Episode VI, with examinations of Discovery, Picard, and, of course, Rise of Skywalker! Designed to engage the audience in a healthy–but fun–debate, this panel explores meaningful topics of psychology prominent in Star Trek & Star Wars. Who’s more emotionally intelligent, Picard or Luke? How do hero characters Rey and Burnham show us healthy coping and self-care? And what’s the importance of legacy when it comes to saving the universe? Join pop culture psychologists Dr. Drea Letamendi (Lattes with Leia) and Dr. Ali Mattu (The Psych Show) as they enlist the persuasive viewpoints of special guests Todd Stashwick (Star Trek: Enterprise), and Jennifer Muro (Star Wars: Forces of Destiny). Moderated by Brian Ward (The Arkham Sessions).

07/13:
A new animated series - Star Wars: The Bad Batch will premiere on Disney+ in 2021.
Clone Wars architect and The Mandalorian EP and director Dave Filoni will return for Bad Batch as EP, alongside Athena Portillo (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels), Brad Rau (Star Wars Rebels, Star Wars Resistance) and Jennifer Corbett (Star Wars Resistance, NCIS) with Carrie Beck (The Mandalorian, Star Wars Rebels) as co-executive producer and Josh Rimes as producer (Star Wars Resistance). Rau is also serving as supervising director with Corbett as head writer.
The series follows the elite and experimental clones of the Bad Batch (first introduced in The Clone Wars) as they find their way in a rapidly changing galaxy in the immediate aftermath of the Clone War. Members of Bad Batch – a unique squad of clones who vary genetically from their brothers in the Clone Army — each possess a singular exceptional skill which makes them extraordinarily effective soldiers and a formidable crew. In the post-Clone War era, they will take on daring mercenary missions as they struggle to stay afloat and find new purpose.

Discuss this series at its news and discussion thread on the Disney/Pixar Forum!

Last edited:

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
There's a rumor circulating the internet that Disney is considering scrubbing the entire sequel film trilogy from being canon, and starting over. And that there's a "civil war" between Kathleen Kennedy and Jon Favreau (the guy running the "Mandolorean" series) for the heart and soul of the Star Wars franchise going forward. Click that link for the logistics (the "in story" rationale) for how they would undo the sequel universe (which is fun "fanboy theory" stuff), and no, I'm not ready to believe it's true...though that would be bold.

Yes, it's internet rumors, but I do believe Star Wars is now at a turning point, and there probably is SOME sort of intense debate going on between higher ups at Disney.

Fake rumor from Doomcock/Nerdrotic guy, who I believe are the same guy. Basically guys that whine about "SJWs are ruining muh Stah Wahs!"

the greenman

khuddle

One of the things that made the build to The Phantom Menace and The Force Awakens special was the length of time between trilogies, which allowed interest and nostalgia in them to percolate.

That wasn't intentional though. If the movie studios had their way there would have been multiple movies right after Return of the Jedi in 1983. Star Wars was a colossus back then. Remember that there were no competing mediums with movies in those days -- no internet, no video games, most people didn't even have cable television. Movies were it, and Star Wars was the undisputed king.
No, the only reason we never saw a movie immediately after 1983 was because of Lucas himself, dithering in his typical Lucas way. I seem to remember he was fighting with studios because he wanted to pursue the plan of his 9 original stories (which he had outlined even before ANH in 1977) while the studios didn't care about his master plan and just wanted sequels to the OT. Negotiations crawled along until 1997 when the casting of the Phantom Menace was announced.
And then of course after the three forgettable prequels we all thought Star Wars was over and done with until Lucas sold the franchise to Disney...and we all know the rest.

But as much as I once loved Star Wars, its lost its cache, pretty much permanently. Its an also-ran franchise now.
I doubt you'll ever create the excitement you had for 1999 and 2015, even if you were to delay the next the movie by more than a decade.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts