"Batman: Soul of the Dragon" Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
BATMAN: SOUL OF THE DRAGON
Digital Release: January 12, 2021
Physical Release: January 26, 2021

Allegedly, Batman: Soul of the Dragon will release in Spring 2021, helmed by Bruce Timm, and involves:
"In this new version of Batman, his Martial Arts training becomes the focus. The film will reportedly center around Batman, Bronze Tiger, Lady Shiva, and Richard Dragon as we learn they all share a common acquaintance. The Martial Arts Master that trained not only Batman but this set of rouges has been missing for a number of years and under mysterious circumstances. When a cursed relic resurfaces the mystery of their dead master re-opens and Batman and his former classmates face-off in the ultimate test of their Martial Arts kills to gain control of this dangerous relic."

Stay tuned for further updates!
Comments?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
If true, at least this is an original story and is a bit different from other Batman movies we've seen. It definitely has a bit of an Enter the Dragon vibe. I hope the martial-arts sequences live up to their potential. So what makes this an Elseworlds story?
Or it's an adaptation of the Richard Dragon: Kung-Fu Fighter series with Batman inserted as the 4th student. It even seems to allude to O-Sensei and Dragon's Claw. I guess the Elseworlds bit would be framing this to take place in an AU 1970s world that draws elements from Enter the Dragon/Fist of Fury/Game of Death.

Frontier

Staff member
Allegedly, Batman: Soul of the Dragon will release in Spring 2021, helmed by Bruce Timm, and involves:
"In this new version of Batman, his Martial Arts training becomes the focus. The film will reportedly center around Batman, Bronze Tiger, Lady Shiva, and Richard Dragon as we learn they all share a common acquaintance. The Martial Arts Master that trained not only Batman but this set of rouges has been missing for a number of years and under mysterious circumstances. When a cursed relic resurfaces the mystery of their dead master re-opens and Batman and his former classmates face-off in the ultimate test of their Martial Arts kills to gain control of this dangerous relic."
Well, this is definitely not what I was expecting. Putting Batman in a martial arts epic film with all the other major DC martial artists sounds like a recipe for a pretty action-packed film :cool:.

I only wish Cassandra Cain or Black Canary could make it in ;).

With the martial arts premise, I hope whoever they have writing and directing it is able to do the culture and fighting justice. I think we really need to finally see a version of Shiva get to cut loose and not just use a sword :evil:.

If this is set for 2021...assuming Long Halloween gets released in 2021 along with Death in the Family, 2021 might be for Batman in animation what 2020 was for Superman :).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Death in the Family is this year.

And please no. We've had enough years like that.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
If true, this should come out around the same time as Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings, since that also features a martial arts tournament. :p

Going by the alleged details so far, it sounds decent enough. I imagine not all of the characters who could appear in the story were mentioned in this brief synopsis though. I presume the action scenes will be handled well, maybe even add more choreography to them than in other animated movies. In a way I'm kind of expecting it to be similar to the recent Mortal Kombat: Scorpion's Revenge movie, though hopefully not quite as brutal.

SweetShop209

Well , since this is about martial arts, I think Ethan Spaulding would be up for it. Besides his work on the recent Mortal Kombat movie, he was also a director for Avatar The Last Airbender (an action show with martial arts).

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Aw man, somebody on twitter framed this as a B:TAS return and I got excited for a minute. Clearly with this being an elseworlds, that doesn't seem to be the case (as cool as it would be). Although, I don't know what about this premise makes it an ''elseworlds'' tale exactly.

It sounds really fresh, interesting and right up Bruce Timm's alley. I'll take all the Batman I can get (Sorry, Yojimbo).

Frontier

Staff member
Aw man, somebody on twitter framed this as a B:TAS return and I got excited for a minute. Clearly with this being an elseworlds, that doesn't seem to be the case (as cool as it would be). Although, I don't know what about this premise makes it an ''elseworlds'' tale exactly.

It sounds really fresh, interesting and right up Bruce Timm's alley. I'll take all the Batman I can get (Sorry, Yojimbo).
It's not a direct adaption of something so I wonder if it could be spun as a "lost DCAU" story ala Batman and Harley Quinn and JLvsTFF...

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK

Is it me, or is Batman getting a ton more martial arts focus these days?

Frontier

Staff member

Is it me, or is Batman getting a ton more martial arts focus these days?
I mean, when you see his fighting style in the movies sometimes :p.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
I mean, when you see his fighting style in the movies sometimes :p.
I will end up watching Batman Ninja for the first time as a triple feature marathon with this and Batman v TMNT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frontier

Staff member
I will end up watching Batman Ninja for the first time as a triple feature marathon with this and Batman v TMNT.

On another note, can anyone corroborate the rumor that Man of Tomorrow
is one of three origin stories for the new universe (other two being Batman & Wonder Woman)?
As far as that rumor, it's simple speculation with no firm confirmation one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts