General International TV Channels Thread

RegularCapital

Staff member
That could be a good idea and I would love to see BBC launching their own BBC Wales channel as a competitor to S4C, as it would show programmes in English and Welsh.

There's one problem with this, S4C is loosely affiliated with the BBC, the BBC provides them with free programming and also the fact it's partly funded by the licence fee as well as the UK government, to an extent S4C is basically "BBC Cymru". I don't think there's a market for another channel in Welsh. Being completely in Welsh, S4C is barely surviving as it is, it was in a better state when Channel 4 gave their programming for free (although in English) for their analogue feed as Channel 4 wasn't available in Wales until the Digital era.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Many stuff from current CC CZ:
DsG8sYt.jpg

BD2EpMR.jpg

gVx0r3v.jpg

wADxNw4.jpg

kP8XjhV.jpg

awS0bUj.jpg

3SyaWWZ.jpg

qhkH5Uy.jpg

Probably similar on other feeds.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
There's one problem with this, S4C is loosely affiliated with the BBC, the BBC provides them with free programming and also the fact it's partly funded by the licence fee as well as the UK government, to an extent S4C is basically "BBC Cymru". I don't think there's a market for another channel in Welsh. Being completely in Welsh, S4C is barely surviving as it is, it was in a better state when Channel 4 gave their programming for free (although in English) for their analogue feed as Channel 4 wasn't available in Wales until the Digital era.

Well, fair enough on that.

J10

Last month, Ashorooq TV has returned back again in Ramadan, and with a new slogan called (Sun of the Sudanese Revolution). The channel has been closed on January, due to government mission to return money back from Al-Bashir’s gov.

The channel has recently made a Sudanese English News called On The Run (Originally being an English-speaking talk show made by the channel).
image.jpg

RegularCapital

Staff member
Sky Documentaries and Sky Nature launched at midday today, both channels are available on Sky, NOW TV and Virgin Media. Sky Documentaries will feature documentaries from HBO, while Sky Nature will feature content from Love Nature and from the David Attenborough collection. History is now branded as Sky History from today, and History 2 is Sky History 2.

Sky Documentaries:

Sky History/Sky History 2:

Sky Nature:

Sky Nature | Trailer

Sky Nature Launch - 27 May 2020

Other news: Trace's takeover of the CSC Music Channels have been a flop, they're closing Trace Latina and Starz on 1st June. Starz is their best performing channel and they're going to close it.

Trace closes two UK channels; pushes SVoD option

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
More about this whole Rete Mia scandal nobody's talking about.

After receiving DMCA notifications for carrying copyrighted content (animes, old Italian movies, Bolek and Lolek, an obscure Hanna-Barbera show named Team Improbable or something like that), new owners bought the channel.

Two days ago they posted this on their Facebook (translated by me):

"We had a stormy past and a bright past.
Today you embark on a new journey, a journey towards a new future.
Soon we will have our home, there are people who are working to achieve all this and in the autumn we could inaugurate it together with you.
The bad things and threats, direct and indirect, that have come to us in recent months have always confirmed to us that this is the right way and we must go on. For this you will have new travel companions, who believe in a feasible and achievable project! A project financed exclusively by serious companies, which will not induce families to risk their money and risk their savings. Therefore there will be no virtual companies, or with foreign offices to evade who knows what legislation, but a proudly Italian certainty.
We have touched many ports, today we embark on a new route with people who love you and who want to restore our name to the splendor we deserve. Some of us will stay, some will go down, some have already gone down and some are going up.

Easy going, RETEMIA®, easy going!"

In a little less than three months, the new Rete Mia got a far more intense backstory than the first one. The channel was founded in 1988 by a billionaire and was a generalist channel that tried to compete against the main networks, even by decentralizing the system by making it headquartered in Lucca, not Rome or Milan. Due to the Mammì law of 1992, it had its broadcasts temporarily suspended and its message was (also translated):

"Dreams can be interrupted for more or less time depending on the strength of the storm where you woke up;
but unlike reality, dreams will always return.

WE BELIEVE IN THAT"

After 1992 it became more of an infomercial channel, ceasing to be the generalist channel it was, and by 1999~2000 was getting integrated to the Home Order Television network. When it was sold, it became HOT Italia. Now the new one is just showing two shows made by some Clive Griffiths from a Tuscan TV channel, news bulletins with footage from Euronews, Giuliacci's weather report, footage from some conference in Rimini and all those syndicated shows related to nautical sports (like the Clive Griffiths examples above).

In 2015 there were attempts to revive it, but they sent the licenses to some SOS Television.

ChickyBro

taiga is great
Animax Asia stopped airing promos with Thai narrator's voice since the acquisition was completed. Thai subtitles have also been reverted back to 4:3 size stretched to 16:9.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Why do some European shows arrive waaaaaay too late here? Only recently we got A Kind of Magic, from the same studio, on SIC K.

The same is true to Counterfeit Cat. With some luck we might get Atomic Puppet on there.

SpongeBobFan2004

It’s too bad that many Dutch people subscribe to Canal Digitaal to catch EUROSPORT's 8000 hours of Olympic coverage. But for now they’re still stuck with NOS and (probably) the BBC channels (since Canal Digitaal will add both BBC ONE and BBC TWO into their lineup but idk if it’s the U.K. feed or the Europe feed)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
It’s too bad that many Dutch people subscribe to Canal Digitaal to catch EUROSPORT's 8000 hours of Olympic coverage. But for now they’re still stuck with NOS and (probably) the BBC channels (since Canal Digitaal will add both BBC ONE and BBC TWO into their lineup but idk if it’s the U.K. feed or the Europe feed)

There are no Olympics this year.
BBC was already available on satellite (free-to-air) so I don't think they actually added any channels... :sweat:

SpongeBobFan2004

There are no Olympics this year.
BBC was already available on satellite (free-to-air) so I don't think they actually added any channels... :sweat:

BUT THE OLYMPIC GAMES TOKYO 2020 MAY BE COMING 1 MORE YEAR BEFORE THE OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES (Beijing 2022) BEGIN. AND ALSO BBC ONE AND BBC TWO MAY LAUNCH A EUROPEAN FEED TO AVOID COPYRIGHT ISSUES WITH LICENSED CONTENT.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts