"Harley Quinn (DC Universe)" Animated Series News & Discussion, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Analysis of Season 1 Ep. 11-13 with Schumacker.

In episode 11:
-Clayface ruining Riddler's video threat was inspired by Pee-Wee's over eager movie cameo in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.
-Music during reveal of the super toxin was inspired by Breaking Bad.
-The sequence rewritten the most out of the whole series was the journey into Ivy's mind, it was confusing and jammed with strange metaphors so it evolved over time to confront a Big Bad in the Empire Strikes Back homage.
-Frank wasn't the Cheshire Cat at first. Originally when Kite Man is incinerated – it is revealed to be Scarecrow but it came off as a muddled image so Death was adopted as a universal symbol. Once the initial animation came back, they decided to reiterate what the sequence looked like to make it scary and add in more VFX like the moving eyeballs, blood from the trees, and the flames from Death.
-Child Ivy coming back green from overseas animation was a happy accident.
-The inspiration for the highway was Hot Wheels meets Mario Kart and was the first time a heavy amount of CG was used because of all the angles of the scene.
-About 90 percent of what was boarded remained for the highway scene.
-They had to be careful around Sy's transformation for legal reasons not to look like a Transformer.

-Schumacker may have offended Jefferson Friedman once by bashing Baroque music, which happened to be Friedman's focus in school.

-Kite Man came up in development because another male villain with 'weak powers' was needed as an example of why men with less skills than women get a lot more credit and support. Once Matt Oberg came aboard to voice Kite Man and more of season 1 was plotted, Kite became a favorite of the crew. War of Jokes and Riddles coming out inspired Schumacker to suggest using Kite Man.

-In episode 12, Schumacker asked if drool from Ivy and Kite Man making out could be removed.
-Queen of Fables was really killed off and isn't returning in season 2.
-Felt safe in offing Ivy in the penultimate episode of season 1.
-Consciously borrowed the Supergirl death pose from Crisis on Infinite Earths throughout the series up to the end of season 2.

-The Legion of Doom wasn't killed off, they were off on vacation already.
-One of the blue sky ideas during development was a team up between Harley and Batman and was used in the finale.
-Halo jump sequence in a later Mission Impossible movie inspired Batman's drop in the Joker Tower.
-The montage music is a riff on Goodfellas.
-One of the writer's long wait for a Tesla inspired Joker's complaint.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Analysis of Season 1 Ep. 11-13 with Schumacker.

In episode 11:
-Clayface ruining Riddler's video threat was inspired by Pee-Wee's over eager movie cameo in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.
-Music during reveal of the super toxin was inspired by Breaking Bad.
-The sequence rewritten the most out of the whole series was the journey into Ivy's mind, it was confusing and jammed with strange metaphors so it evolved over time to confront a Big Bad in the Empire Strikes Back homage.
-Frank wasn't the Cheshire Cat at first. Originally when Kite Man is incinerated – it is revealed to be Scarecrow but it came off as a muddled image so Death was adopted as a universal symbol. Once the initial animation came back, they decided to reiterate what the sequence looked like to make it scary and add in more VFX like the moving eyeballs, blood from the trees, and the flames from Death.
-Child Ivy coming back green from overseas animation was a happy accident.
-The inspiration for the highway was Hot Wheels meets Mario Kart and was the first time a heavy amount of CG was used because of all the angles of the scene.
-About 90 percent of what was boarded remained for the highway scene.
-They had to be careful around Sy's transformation for legal reasons not to look like a Transformer.

-Schumacker may have offended Jefferson Friedman once by bashing Baroque music, which happened to be Friedman's focus in school.

-Kite Man came up in development because another male villain with 'weak powers' was needed as an example of why men with less skills than women get a lot more credit and support. Once Matt Oberg came aboard to voice Kite Man and more of season 1 was plotted, Kite became a favorite of the crew. War of Jokes and Riddles coming out inspired Schumacker to suggest using Kite Man.

-In episode 12, Schumacker asked if drool from Ivy and Kite Man making out could be removed.
-Queen of Fables was really killed off and isn't returning in season 2.
-Felt safe in offing Ivy in the penultimate episode of season 1.
-Consciously borrowed the Supergirl death pose from Crisis on Infinite Earths throughout the series up to the end of season 2.

-The Legion of Doom wasn't killed off, they were off on vacation already.
-One of the blue sky ideas during development was a team up between Harley and Batman and was used in the finale.
-Halo jump sequence in a later Mission Impossible movie inspired Batman's drop in the Joker Tower.
-The montage music is a riff on Goodfellas.
-One of the writer's long wait for a Tesla inspired Joker's complaint.
I love the copyright issues with Transformers Sy :p.

I guess that confirms a few questions about the end of season 1...Fables is dead and the Legion are just on vacation :confused:.

Frontier

Staff member
Friday, June 5: "Dye Hard"
Not quite sure what to extrapolate from the premise other then we know Harley dyes her hair :confused:.
Friday, June 12: "A Fight Worth Fighting For"
The only fight I could think Harley would find worth fighting for is over Ivy...
Friday, June 19: "Lovers' Quarrel"
Kite Man and Ivy breakup? Or Harley and Ivy fight over their obvious feelings for each other with Kite Man stuck in the middle :eek:?
Friday, June 26: "The Runaway Bridesmaid"
Harley runs away because she can't go through with the wedding and Ivy comes after her :confused:?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Not quite sure what to extrapolate from the premise other then we know Harley dyes her hair :confused:.
The only thing that came to mind if were to do with the villain are low tier guys like Crazy Quilt, Rainbow Raider, or the Rainbow Creature... and the obvious Die Hard nod. It's a thinker. I admit it has me the most curious.

Harley runs away because she can't go through with the wedding and Ivy comes after her :confused:?
Or kidnaps Ivy, throws her in the trunk, and drives outta Gotham. :p

Frontier

Staff member
The only thing that came to mind if were to do with the villain are low tier guys like Crazy Quilt, Rainbow Raider, or the Rainbow Creature... and the obvious Die Hard nod. It's a thinker. I admit it has me the most curious.
I thought of Rainbow Raider too...even though he's a Flash villain, which is why I ruled out. Not that it's stopped the show before ;).
Or kidnaps Ivy, throws her in the trunk, and drives outta Gotham. :p
Well, it wouldn't be out of character :p.

I keep thinking something major is going to happen in the finale to necessitate Batman coming back and give something epic to close the season out on...

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I keep thinking something major is going to happen in the finale to necessitate Batman coming back and give something epic to close the season out on...
With this show's luck, Brainiac is gonna show up and try to steal Gotham. lol.

EDIT: Shane Glines posted some designs for
-Jim's tattoo
-Parademons
-Mrs. Calendar Man

Also found some animatics and revisions Amber Jones posted
-ep 5 revisions of Bane and Two Face
-ep 5 revisions of Bane and Two Face
-Down the hole
-Bane shoved them into the hole

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member

Here are images from Dye Hard.
Harley in that dress :D!

Harley is so desperate she's talking to sane!Joker now. Kind of wonder how they end up handcuffed together :sweat: .

(Will this develop sane!Joker now or build up to him becoming Joker again :ack:?)

Poor Gordon still needs to take care of the Parademon problem. Thanks Harley :mad:.

I think Bruce should probably do something about the Wayne Tower problem...

Sy! And Riddler :cool:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
It turns out the season finale title is "Something Borrowed, Something Green" and "The Runaway Bridesmaid" was a working title that was never the final one.
I think the final one is a better title overall. Kind of curious what it might mean for Harley and Ivy's relationship :).
King Shark looks even goofier :p.

The Amazons look like Strife's Amazons :sweat:.
Amber Blade posted storyboard animatics. Warning, mature content.
-Episode 7, down The Pit

-Episode 11, bridal shop scene

-Episode 11, Batman scene
Huh. What's with the placeholder VA's for Harley, Batman, and Alfred? I guess that means their VA's recorded later then some of the regular cast :confused:?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Huh. What's with the placeholder VA's for Harley, Batman, and Alfred? I guess that means their VA's recorded later then some of the regular cast :confused:?
6/13:Supposedly it's common place, depends on scheduling with records, animatics, and shipping to overseas meshing or not.

6/15: Schumacker and Halpern appeared on today's DC Daily. A couple things they said:
-The Frank recap was born out of necessity because the cut of the episode came in short so they thought of doing an unorthodox recap.
-In the finale, the characters will make the decision they feel is best for themselves
-The question of will Joker-Bethany relationship survive is answered in finale
-Machado is Puerto Rican and her lines were written in Mexican Spanish so she had to retrofit the lines. Swearing in Puerto Rican was a loop hole to the show's swearing cap.
-They considered an episode about the Justice League in the fairy tale book, they didn't have their super powers because of the magic, things got dark like in Brothers Grimm's stories but they couldn't break the story
-Some things wrapped up in episode 12, the larger emotional arc will conclude in episode 13, modeled after Breaking Bad's structure of resolving some things in the penultimate episode, there is no cliffhanger, the 'ultimate couple' will be revealed

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
-The Frank recap was born out of necessity because the cut of the episode came in short so they thought of doing an unorthodox recap.
That makes Frank's justification for it all the more humorous :p.
-In the finale, the characters will make the decision they feel is best for themselves
Probably going to be an interesting mix on whether those decisions are received well or not :confused:.
-The question of will Joker-Bethany relationship survive is answered in finale
Maybe satisfactorily or unsatisfactory depending on your stance on the relationship :sweat:.
-They considered an episode about the Justice League in the fairy tale book, they didn't have their super powers because of the magic, things got dark like in Brothers Grimm's stories but they couldn't break the story
Considering their reaction once outside the book, that makes sense :ack:.
-Some things wrapped up in episode 12, the larger emotional arc will conclude in episode 13, modeled after Breaking Bad's structure of resolving some things in the penultimate episode, there is no cliffhanger, the 'ultimate couple' will be revealed
Points if the "ultimate couple" isn't the obvious one ;).
Be a good opportunity to announce the third season :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts