"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Light Lucario

Staff member
On a bit of positive news regarding potential content for later this year, Japanese voice recording for season 5 of My Hero Academia is about to begin (with some social distancing accommodations). So, knowing the typical production time for anime, season 5 may be on track to premiere in October.

That's really good news. I kind of assumed that season five would be delayed until next year, which would be disappointing but completely understandable given the circumstances. Knowing that they are starting voice recording while incorporating new measures to keep the actors and musicians safe is especially good. I've been hoping for studios in Japan to find some way for actors to record safely since it's probably going to be awhile before they can record like they usually do. I imagine that a lot of other series currently on hold are trying to have similar setups, especially for some of the big long running series.

The possibility of getting season five in October is great and I love it, but I'm just relieved that they are taking safety measures. I truly hope that they are effective with keeping all the people involved with the production healthy and safe.

Reactions: RDG
It was able to get in the top 25 last week and its ratings seemed okay. I know Adult Swim seems to either be punishing Black Clover or they think it's necessary to be in the back to anchor that half. The bumper they aired about a year ago mocking fans who want Black Clover to be on earlier seems to be an indicated they don't want to move it. There's also the long runners in the back policy as it seems like long runners are always forced to the back of the block (One Piece, HunterXHunter, Boruto) eventually. It seems like they believe that long runners have a loyal fanbase that is willing to sit through the reruns. Newcomers to Black Clover and JoJo would probably be confused seeing them up front compared to the shorter shows with less backstory. I think that's the mentality.

Strange they would air a bumper mocking people who wanted it moved up when that would imply they don't like it very much and they supposedly said they only air series they personally enjoy. Being an anchor show is a possibility but ratings for the whole lineup have been dropping each year to the point where a strong back half probably doesn't carry the same importance it once did. I also don't know if newcomer friendly shows with little backstory truly applies much anymore. Half of the one and two cour series they have aired in recent years have been Shonen Jump titles with gaps in between seasons or non SJ titles with multiple seasons or spin offs already produced and or planned. And long running Shonen Jump are almost always the series that consistently do the best for Toonami as evidenced by Bleach, Kai, Super and during the blocks old run with the original DBZ, Naruto, YYH. Obviously BC, JoJo, and NS won't get those kind of ratings but I think putting them in front would at least be worth testing out for a bit. Not much for them to lose by doing it especially now.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Strange they would air a bumper mocking people who wanted it moved up when that would imply they don't like it very much and they supposedly said they only air series they personally enjoy.

That applies to those running Toonami. Adult Swim programming has always been mocking towards anime fans in their bumpers (saying "anime is teh suck" and stuff like that. Inuyasha fans got especially thrashed back in the day). Toonami and Demarco may like it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Adult Swim people don't. Toonami does not control its schedule, according to Demarco.

Light Lucario

Staff member
That applies to those running Toonami. Adult Swim programming has always been mocking towards anime fans in their bumpers (saying "anime is teh suck" and stuff like that. Inuyasha fans got especially thrashed back in the day). Toonami and Demarco may like it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Adult Swim people don't. Toonami does not control its schedule, according to Demarco.

That's true. I think DeMarco brought up how Adult Swim picks out the lineup for them based on ratings when they put My Hero Academia at the 3:30AM slot during the last stretch of season three. With that in mind, it's almost kind of strange that they're so set on keeping reruns of the series at the start of the block, but they've also been going back and forth on where to put My Hero Academia on the block for quite some time now anyway.

As for Black Clover, they also might not want to change the lineup too drastically all of a sudden, especially when they are set on getting new My Hero Academia episodes available as soon as possible. I don't think they'll move it up significantly higher even after season four wraps up since Black Clover will basically be in the same kind of situation. They might have more episodes dubbed by then, but they still might catch up with Funimation and have to put the show on reruns until the remaining episodes are dubbed.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Looks like their will be a shonen anime coming out in 2020. Trailer for Fire Force season 2. There is hope for fresh content, but I wonder if Toonami's budget cuts will affect things. Maybe it can replace Mob or Paranoia Agent.

Light Lucario

Staff member
There's also the possibility that it could be either shorten due to the virus situation or go on hiatus during its run. They've announced it for July, so I assume that they've already gone through some of the production before Japan declared a state of emergency, but it's hard to say if they'll be able to complete the production without any problem. A lot of that depends on how the virus situation progresses in Japan and how they respond to it. Quite a few anime series are still on hiatus with no return date in sight, so I don't know if the July premiere will go that smoothly for Fire Force.

It might also take awhile for Funimation to dub it. I'm sure that they will just so that they can have more new dub content on their website, but it still might not be a big priority to them compared to their other hit series or popular seasonal series. Fire Force obviously did well enough to get a second season, but I don't think it caught that much attention either, at least from what I can tell.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
The trailer for the final season of Attack on Titan dropped today. Production is switching from Wit Studio to MAPPA; MAPPA hasn't done any series that have aired on Toonami, but I know some of their titles have been thrown around as requests in the past (Garo, Ushio & Tora, Banana Fish).

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I know some people are worried because they're calling this the final season...even though the manga is still ongoing. I wonder if they'll pull an FMA: Brotherhood, and try to end the anime and the manga almost simultaneously.

ms78

I know some people are worried because they're calling this the final season...even though the manga is still ongoing. I wonder if they'll pull an FMA: Brotherhood, and try to end the anime and the manga almost simultaneously.

I believe it was announced that the manga was in its climax. I think the plan was to split the final season in two so that the manga would have time to finish before the season ends.

Lawren22

The manga has at most 10 chapters left thought it does release monthly and was on a brief hiatus do to the viruses. So the anime can make it but might have to do a split cour like Season 3 did. The trailer at showed scenes from chapter 123 of the manga which is only five chapters from the most recent one so they already have a lot of the material finished.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
It didn't give a release date. Still have no idea what Toonami's going to do post MHA. Whether or not we can get Fire Force is a mystery as dubbing it under current conditions will be difficult. Tower of God seems unobtainable. Toonami still hasn't aired Cells at Work (which was kinda popular, yet past its expiration date of popularity, although Toonami might have to air older stuff now) and Radiant (which barely had much buzz even in its prime). Shocked that it seems like battle shonen aren't always guaranteed monster hits. Fire Force seems completely overshadowed by Demon Slayer and not a flop, but it feels more like a passing fad than anything At least it did way better than actual flops like Toriko (still don't get why it failed or any battle shonen fails. The quality difference between it and Fairy Tail doesn't seem to be by that much if any). What we've learned from Boruto and One Piece is that battle shonen aren't guaranteed successes from Toonami even if something like One Piece has a rabid fanbase. Toonami always relied on a monster hit AAA shonen like DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, Attack on Titan, Dragonball Super, and now MHA. Toonami seemed to struggle mightily when Attack on Titan entered reruns, but it seems like MHA's dubbing hiatus hasn't hurt it much, at least not these two weeks it's been in reruns. Toonami relied on saviors in the past, but it might have to whether a long storm between MHA or Attack on Titan seasons.

Lawren22

It didn't give a release date. Still have no idea what Toonami's going to do post MHA. Whether or not we can get Fire Force is a mystery as dubbing it under current conditions will be difficult. Tower of God seems unobtainable. Toonami still hasn't aired Cells at Work (which was kinda popular, yet past its expiration date of popularity, although Toonami might have to air older stuff now) and Radiant (which barely had much buzz even in its prime). Shocked that it seems like battle shonen aren't always guaranteed monster hits. Fire Force seems completely overshadowed by Demon Slayer and not a flop, but it feels more like a passing fad than anything At least it did way better than actual flops like Toriko (still don't get why it failed or any battle shonen fails. The quality difference between it and Fairy Tail doesn't seem to be by that much if any). What we've learned from Boruto and One Piece is that battle shonen aren't guaranteed successes from Toonami even if something like One Piece has a rabid fanbase. Toonami always relied on a monster hit AAA shonen like DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, Attack on Titan, Dragonball Super, and now MHA. Toonami seemed to struggle mightily when Attack on Titan entered reruns, but it seems like MHA's dubbing hiatus hasn't hurt it much, at least not these two weeks it's been in reruns. Toonami relied on saviors in the past, but it might have to whether a long storm between MHA or Attack on Titan seasons.
I could be wrong but I think Cells at Work is a Netflix " organial series now" so they can't show it even if they wanted to if that's the case but I might be wrong I just think I've recently seen it with the original label now while browsing on Netflix.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member

I assume that was going to be the case since I heard after the last season that the manga was pretty close to wrapping up. It might be more difficult to do that now with the virus situation, but it would probably be pretty manageable, especially if they split the season in half again like what happened before. Hopefully, the production team behind this season will stay safe and aren't working in more dangerous conditions due to the virus.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I could be wrong but I think Cells at Work is a Netflix " organial series now" so they can't show it even if they wanted to if that's the case but I might be wrong I just think I've recently seen it with the original label now while browsing on Netflix.

Just checked. It's not. Seven Deadly Sins is and is the only battle shonen of note as a Netflix original, but Toonami would have benefitted from it if it weren't for that fact. Cells at Work is still a possibility, but I wonder how it (or any other anime) could do as a leader if they do replace MHA.

Last edited:

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
At least it did way better than actual flops like Toriko (still don't get why it failed or any battle shonen fails. The quality difference between it and Fairy Tail doesn't seem to be by that much if any).

I'm getting slightly off topic, but part of the reason that Toriko failed is that expectations were set too high. Shueisha literally was saying it would be the next Dragon Ball/One Piece...and it just wasn't as good or charming as those two, with a weak cast.

Fairy Tail has many faults, but it at least has a likable ensemble cast. Toriko had one of the weaker casts, IMO. That said, if Toonami ever aired it, I'd still watch it.

Volthoom

Attack On Titan has like 5-10 chapters left, the manga is on chapter 128 right now. But the next chapter got delayed till June, for very clear reasons that really don't need explaining given current events.

RunoMisaki573

If no new superhero anime replaces My Hero Academia, then expect One Punch Man Season 2 reruns to take its place hence Toonami's cut budget.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Black Clover's dub seems to be going very slowly as there hasn't been a new one in a while uploaded on FunimationNow. We are 5 episodes away from catching up. Rerun hell seems to be coming.

Toonami actually did something special for JoJo and put a rap video of it. Even if Adult Swim programming wants it in a death slot behind reruns, the people who run Toonami like it.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts