Why are there almost no full-length Mickey Mouse TV series airing anymore?

HunterMon17

Let's run through all of the current Mickey Mouse stuff airing on TV right now, there's:
* Mickey Mouse Mixed-Up Adventures (formerly known as "Mickey and the Roadster Racers"; preschool series, so I don't personally count this)
* Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (old series only playing in reruns, plus its a preschool series as well)
* Mickey Mouse (shorts, I'm talking full half-four shows here)
* Mickey Mouse movies (those 15+ year old films that hardly ever get played)

What's stopping them from making a full-fledged half-hour (or even full hour) Mickey Mouse TV series on Disney Channel, Disney XD, or Disney Plus? The last one I can remember was House of Mouse from like over a decade ago on Disney Channel and then later on Toon Disney. This is actually a common complaint with the Disney suite of networks, there's a serious lack of this character on the air anymore. Why?

HunterMon17

There is nothing wrong with the Paul Rudish shorts. They are actually fantastic. Give them a chance.

Mickey Mouse has two series already... why would he need a third??
Shorts are fine, but a full-length series would be a lot better. House of Mouse worked, why not a new concept? Or at the very least play those Mickey Mouse feature films on Disney Channel or Disney XD more often.

SweetShop209

It's interesting how Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is not only the longest running Disney show (10 years), but the Mickey show with the most episodes (125).

As for the question at hand, I'd say they're mainly sticking with 3-4 shorts and 11 minute shorts since that's what the character is best suited for.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Shorts are fine, but a full-length series would be a lot better. House of Mouse worked, why not a new concept? Or at the very least play those Mickey Mouse feature films on Disney Channel or Disney XD more often.

Technically though House of Mouse was not really a "full series" as much as it was putting wrap around bits of Mickey Mouse Work Cartoons so though there are technically "plots" that go for 22 minutes in each episode it's not really ever a big or major story but rather something given enough time between cartoons that tells it's own mini story. Really there haven't been any major Mickey Mouse projects outside of the shorts be they theatrical or made for TV really... ever where he wasn't either just cameoing or a more minor part (like the Kingdom Hearts series) of or he was "himself" and just playing a role like say The Mouseketeer movie. The only exceptions are the stuff that is really really geared towards kids like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse that obviously is very protective of his brand and image thus how it's direct appeal is only to the very young not really anyone else.

Because as others have pointed out Mickey does actually appear in those animated shorts and thus still is on TV and part of the Disney brand way more then say he was in the 70's when nothing was done with him but you still have Disney really protective of that image and view of the character thus why you don't really see him in other shows. The directors of the ducktales 2017 admitted they actually had ideas and wanted to use Mickey Mouse in that show but were told no thus why he only had a very vague vocal cameo in "Mooninvasion" as a Wilson esque Watermelon Donald was holding but yeah he is otherwise a very guarded character I don't think is allowed to really star or be the focus of his own series that is aimed at an audience older then 2-4. Shorts are fine as they have always been part of his brand but you aren't going to ever see a Ducktales or Goof Troop esque series with Mickey due to Disney wanting to really box him in as this specific brand kind of character.

TsWade2

I don't want to get obsessed about this again. I went through this before on DVDizzy.com and man, I was a pain in the butt. Take my advice, don't do the same thing like I did long ago. And Red Arrow is right. Nothing's wrong with Paul Rudish's Mickey Mouse Shorts. They're great! I mean, sure, they have awkward moments, but they're not too bad. And they're not meant to be like Ren and Stimpy. And besides, Ren and Stimpy can do way worse than Paul Rudish's Mickey Mouse shorts. Also, I'm sure Disney will one day make a new series starring Mickey Mouse and friends, even if it's going to be on DisneyPlus. Wow! I'm very autistic, but I'm starting to feel a little mature than before. :)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I don't want to get obsessed about this again. I went through this before on DVDizzy.com and man, I was a pain in the butt. Take my advice, don't do the same thing like I did long ago. And Red Arrow is right. Nothing's wrong with Paul Rudish's Mickey Mouse Shorts. They're great! I mean, sure, they have awkward moments, but they're not too bad. And they're not meant to be like Ren and Stimpy. And besides, Ren and Stimpy can do way worse than Paul Rudish's Mickey Mouse shorts. Also, I'm sure Disney will one day make a new series starring Mickey Mouse and friends, even if it's going to be on DisneyPlus. Wow! I'm very autistic, but I'm starting to feel a little mature than before. :)
Listen to experience, HunterMon17. TsWade2 has been in the Mouse House flamewar trenches.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts