C&C - Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - "Tsuguko, Kanao Tsuyuri" [4/25]

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I've read that Mugen Train adapts the next arc in the manga but anyone know why it's being adapted as a movie? As an endcap to season 1? Or because the powers that be saw the popularity of the manga and decided to cash in with a movie adaptation? I'm curious if this will go the route of the first two Dragon Ball Super movies and the anime TV series will adapt their own version of the stories for a season 2 of Demon Slayer or will they skip to the next arc -- which might be confusing for some not in the know since they're teasing the train this episode.

doomrider7

That One Guy
I've read that Mugen Train adapts the next arc in the manga but anyone know why it's being adapted as a movie? As an endcap to season 1? Or because the powers that be saw the popularity of the manga and decided to cash in with a movie adaptation? I'm curious if this will go the route of the first two Dragon Ball Super movies and the anime TV series will adapt their own version of the stories for a season 2 of Demon Slayer or will they skip to the next arc -- which might be confusing for some not in the know since they're teasing the train this episode.

Having read the entire series, I think it's the fact that this arc is fairly short compared to previous ones and only really takes place on one location on top of the cashing in you mentioned.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Having read the entire series, I think it's the fact that this arc is fairly short compared to previous ones and only really takes place on one location on top of the cashing in you mentioned.
Thanks, makes sense. This rehab arc is 6 episodes but the Temari and Arrow was 5 and the mansion was 4. I guess Mugen Train would probably be only 3 episodes or so.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter

Wondering if Demon Slayer will go the Black Butler route and change formats from anime TV to OVA to movie.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Wondering if Demon Slayer will go the Black Butler route and change formats from anime TV to OVA to movie.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that remembers how Butler seemed to change format for every arc.

I hope not, though, because once you begin doing that, you always lose popularity, as OVAs make it become more of a "for fans only" kinda thing.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I hope not, though, because once you begin doing that, you always lose popularity, as OVAs make it become more of a "for fans only" kinda thing.

Black Butler seems to lose steam as I don't know when the next anime production will come, if ever. Book of Murder and Book of the Atlantic can't be streamed and probably never will. Demon Slayer's movie will probably be the same. Aniplex having the license makes it worse as they charge loads for Blu Rays and DVDs. Maybe they'll charge more reasonably for a movie than for series. Odds of the movie being less than $60 or something ridiculous?

doomrider7

That One Guy
Thanks, makes sense. This rehab arc is 6 episodes but the Temari and Arrow was 5 and the mansion was 4. I guess Mugen Train would probably be only 3 episodes or so.
Maybe 3 or 4, but cutting it up like that would just be incredibly awkward vs just making a good length movie of it.

doomrider7

That One Guy
I'm glad I'm not the only one that remembers how Butler seemed to change format for every arc.

Possibly. Feel free to PM for further thoughts on this discussion.

Black Butler seems to lose steam as I don't know when the next anime production will come, if ever. Book of Murder and Book of the Atlantic can't be streamed and probably never will. Demon Slayer's movie will probably be the same. Aniplex having the license makes it worse as they charge loads for Blu Rays and DVDs. Maybe they'll charge more reasonably for a movie than for series. Odds of the movie being less than $60 or something ridiculous?

Jesus that's a lot for a single bluray. Granted the prices for these in Japan are pretty crazy indeed.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Forgot to mention, I also loved that little scene of Shinobu telling Tanjiro he will do great things.

Man, that's a major bummer if it gets pricey to get a copy of Mugen Train.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Shinobu is a good teacher and did a good job of motivating Inosuke and Zenitsu. It looks like they toned down Inosuke's response to Shinobu though, which was probably too vulgar even for Adult Swim's standards...unless you're Rick & Morty.

I was a bit confused by the flashback. When I first watched it, I thought Kanae was Shinobu, when in fact that was her older sister who she now seems to emulate as an adult.

Light Lucario

Staff member
It's pretty awkward for Demon Slayer to end on a comic relief training arc and based on reviews, viewers can't decide if the comedy is one of its best or worst qualities. Anime News Network praises the comedy while THEM Anime Reviews pans it. I find some jokes land and others don't, so this is an all right arc, but I still prefer the more intense episodes 1-20 to the final third.

I'm kind of relieved that the comedy isn't widely praised for this series like seemingly everything else is. Aside from Zenitsu, it isn't terrible, but it certainly isn't one of the better qualities of the series. I definitely don't think it's anything to write home about. It does feel strange that the series seemingly became more comedic once Zenitsu joined the cast. That isn't to say that comedy was nonexistent beforehand, but it just felt like they wanted to desperately make up for the darker and more serious tone with adding in more comedy starting around the halfway point. Sometimes it works, like with Inosuke not reacting to the sword master's screams as he keeps altering his new swords, but it often doesn't for me. It isn't jarring or like the show can't decide what it wants to be akin to Agame Ga Kill, but it just feels like an odd choice considering the general premise of the series and how dark it usually does get.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was okay. Tanjiro was able to make pretty solid progress with his training. While I still loathe Zenitsu, I was grateful that he didn't scream and whine when his little bird came to talk to him. That only lasted a couple of minutes and it's still pathetic that he was lured over into training in the manner that he was, but fortunately for me, he didn't get much attention after that.

The flashback for Kanao was interesting. She really suffered a lot and I guess not feeling any pain might have been either a way for her to psychologically cope with her trauma or just her nerves finally giving out. It was really interesting to see a younger Shinobu since she was so much more emotional and vocal. She really became like her older sister, which shows how much Shinobu admired her and how losing her sister affected her as well. I thought that Kanao would play a bigger part in the rest of the training, but Tanjiro was finally able to get to her level and she'll most likely play a bigger role in future arcs. Shinobu didn't know about the dance Tanjiro learned from his father, but she would have been pretty young even if he was a former Demon Slayer. Inosuke getting his new swords only to alter them to be like his previous ones while ignoring the sword masters was pretty funny.

I was wondering where Nezuko had been all this time. Being injured like that would require her to sleep for awhile. I guess Nezuko can speak telepathically now, which would be nice since making her unable to talk has really limit what they could do with her. Overall, it was an okay episode.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts