This generation's cartoon.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
People born in 1997 were teenagers when Adventure Time premiered.

Agreed, but for those "Early Gen Z" kids born from 2000 to 2003, "Adventure Time" may be perfect fit.

Phineas and Ferb and Ben 10 were more popular than Kim Possible and Foster's.

Maybe. I can kinda see Phineas and Ferb, but not so much Ben 10.

5YearsOnEastCoast

By current generation you mean by children born after 2012 right? Because the previous generation was gen Z (which was from around 1997 to 2012). Anyway, it is a little hard to say which cartoon defined this generation. Sure you could say shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gravity Falls and Legend of Korra were, but they were a lot more know by gen Z and gen Y. I'm not sure if many kids born in 2013-onwards watched those shows. And they premiered when it was a Gen Z period. Their best on what defined is what they are being shown and popular with them since at least 2016 (the earliest time that newest generation gets memories). What modern cartoons could define them. We Bare Bears, Loud House and Miraculous Ladybug. I can even throw Teen Titans Go, Amazing World of Gumball (this premiered in 2011, but virtually all of CN feeds are airing it like crazy along with TTG, so they clearly must be big with today's kids) and perhaps Steven Universe there. For preschoolers it would be Paw Patrol.

rattis1

Gen Xers: Simpsons.

Millennials: Spongebob.

Gonna have to strongly disagree with this. I was born in 1986, thus a millenial, and I can say without a doubt that the cartoon of my generation is The Simpsons. It's the show that EVERYONE of my generation watched. Even to this day, you can be reasonably sure that any 30-35 year old will understand a reference to a classic Simpsons episode. Spongebob meanwhile is something that many of my generation were to old for. Personally, I've only seen a few episodes of it.

Captain Jerk

Leader of the Dan Vs Fandom
No I mostly watch 90s stuff.

I DO have nostalgiac stuff, but it's mostly memories of Canadian Shows most people wouldn't know.

I still have those good old fandom values though

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Keep in mind that the oldest millennials were born in the early 80's, and thus would have been late in high school when SpongeBob SquarePants started. I think that would be a better fit for Gen Z.

If you're looking for something more wide-spanning for the millennial age group that's a little more family friendly than The Simpsons, I'd go with Rugrats, or possibly even Animaniacs.

Captain Jerk

Leader of the Dan Vs Fandom
Keep in mind that the oldest millennials were born in the early 80's, and thus would have been late in high school when SpongeBob SquarePants started. I think that would be a better fit for Gen Z.

If you're looking for something more wide-spanning for the millennial age group that's a little more family friendly than The Simpsons, I'd go with Rugrats, or possibly even Animaniacs.
The problem is that when exactly the line for Millennial is drawn is disputed.
I've seen numbers ranging from 1980-1999 to 1989-2004.

I personally like the latter end date, as 2004 is about the latest you could be born and still remember things like Video Stores, VHS, Old Ipods, Fliphones, that sort of thing. Kids born in the 2000-2004 era would probably remember in their youth that older style of tech.

2005 onward is the "Born into the Information Age" generation............although, when exactly the Information Age started is disputed. I've seen dates ranging from 1989 to 2008.

TheCartoonRailfan

Where's my senior discount?
I just thought I would chime in with the Greatest Generation and the Silent Generation:

Greatest Generation (1900-1928): They mainly grew up with shows from the 20's and 30's, namely some of the Disney cartoons. Steamboat Willie would come to mind.

Silent Generation (1928-1946): Looney Tunes and many Disney movies and shorts from the 30's and 40's would define this generation.

Regarding the current generation, those born after 2012, I find it difficult to choose a cartoon that defines that generation. I would probably say something like Teen Titans Go!, The Loud House, and the later SpongeBob SquarePants.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts