"The Flash" Feature Film Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

the greenman

Honestly, at this point WB really only has Harley Quinn (and Suicide Squad), Wonder Woman, and Aquaman as their DCEU films. The Trench is a solo effort and we're lead to believe The Batman is it's own new thing. I have a feeling everything else from the Snyder-verse is going to be slowly left behind.

Oh, but then there is Shazam and Black Adam, which could really stand on their own too if they really wanted to.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Otaku-sempai

Should Ezra get replaced due to this, then I'd like to see Lucas Till replacing him, having impressed with his role in MacGyver.
To be frank, the video looked to me, if not staged, then at worst just a bit of horseplay that got a little out of hand. I'm not sure that it's worth all the fuss.

the greenman

To be frank, the video looked to me, if not staged, then at worst just a bit of horseplay that got a little out of hand. I'm not sure that it's worth all the fuss.
Correct. It's funny someone playing "Flash" moved that slowly. I think we're all waiting to hear from WB and Miller himself. The silence is very suspicious.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Honestly, at this point WB really only has Harley Quinn (and Suicide Squad), Wonder Woman, and Aquaman as their DCEU films. The Trench is a solo effort and we're lead to believe The Batman is it's own new thing. I have a feeling everything else from the Snyder-verse is going to be slowly left behind.

Oh, but then there is Shazam and Black Adam, which could really stand on their own too if they really wanted to.

Honestly, I would like to see Pattinson reprising his role in a non-Batman film like a possible sequel to Justice League, hence I don't think The Batman is going to be its own thing (i.e. not set in the DCEU).
Here's the thing, I don't believe the video is staged at all. It looked too good to be staged.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Honestly, at this point WB really only has Harley Quinn (and Suicide Squad),

And even then only certain elements seem like they're going to be kept going forward. Yeah Amanda Waller, Captain Boomerang and... for some reason Rick Flag are being kept the same (let's face it the only reason Joel Kinnaman is being kept is because of a contract deal he made with DC BEFORE Suicide Squad came out DC doesn't want to back out on. Even people who love SS do not care about that movie's take on Rick Flag and he could be easily replaced as unlike Margot Robbie, Viola Davis or Jai Courtney did anything in the movie to endear himself to fans at all) and if their schedules ever line up again I'm sure DC would be down with Will Smith coming back as Deadshot, but it's certainly not going to be with any of the other characters or even story set up as seen in the David Ayer movie for reasons I'll get to later.

Wonder Woman, and Aquaman as their DCEU films. The Trench is a solo effort and we're lead to believe The Batman is it's own new thing. I have a feeling everything else from the Snyder-verse is going to be slowly left behind.

Specifically I'm pretty sure Wonder Woman 1984 is going to pretty firmly soft reboot the DCEU and remove any of the non working Snyder elements and thus allow the properties to stand more on their own. So like yeah the continuity from Aquaman and Shazam will be kept but any of the major Snyder influences or references won't be there and thus they'll function more as their own franchises without having to even bother referencing or mentioning them again. Since it's been made clear that DC by trying to push this world of DC themes isn't going to do any major Avengers esque Justice League movies again and go for more their own solo franchises being a thing and those being universes onto themselves you can have better control over then all the super heroes combined. Which has been working for them so far and will work more once everyone is on the same page of what is being kept and what isn't. Honestly Harley Quinn Birds of Prey being in the middle of that before the reset likely was a reason it's box office hurt as well thinking about it so expect more of an obvious divide to show up in the future.

And of course hearing about stuff like this makes me think Barry Allen or at least this take won't be a part of that in anyway. Like I said before I was doubting a flash movie for awhile and honestly to me the only thing that at least seemed like there was more traction with the idea going forward in the last few months was his cameo in the Arrowverse Crisis Of Infinite Earths story especially as that was a request from someone at the DCEU. As it at least said to me someone there still has confidence in Ezra Miller and wants to keep him on as Flash and do something with the character. But yeah is there a point to really having that sort of confidence or any trust in him at all after news like this comes out? Like granted we don't know how true this story is and it could be a 100% fake video and he could just be set up but... that is not how the story is right now and honestly until/if that is the story there is no way that production or any real talk of this movie is going to go forward even after COVID-19 clears up and yeah really just seems like another nail on the coffin of this film.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Well, I only raised that as one possibility. Horseplay seems more likely. No one in the vid seemed particularly upset as far as I could tell.
I don't even think it's horseplay either.

Specifically I'm pretty sure Wonder Woman 1984 is going to pretty firmly soft reboot the DCEU and remove any of the non working Snyder elements and thus allow the properties to stand more on their own.
Again with you saying that. There hasn't been any evidence from official news sources that confirms WW84 will do that and I do think we'll still get references or mentions of previous instalments in future films along with that I do think we'll get more teamups or characters showing up in other films in the DCEU. Even if Justice League didn't do well, I don't think they won't do such things like that anymore.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Again with you saying that. There hasn't been any evidence from official news sources that confirms WW84 will do that and I do think we'll still get references or mentions of previous instalments in future films along with that I do think we'll get more teamups or characters showing up in other films in the DCEU. Even if Justice League didn't do well, I don't think they won't do such things like that anymore.
I think it's too early to say at this point. For now I think we should just take ever DC live-action film as a standalone.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I think it's too early to say at this point. For now I think we should just take every DC live-action film as a standalone.
Here's the thing, he's been saying the same "WW84 will soft reboot the DCEU" stuff for a year as there hasn't been any confirmation on that it will do such plus I think it's also too early to tell on whether or not the upcoming DCEU films will be standalone, but fair enough.

the greenman

WB is in a unique kinda bind. They have the option to continue with in-universe films, standalones, or like Joker; experimental. Depending on the contracts, I have a feeling The Batman is an isolated trilogy like Nolan's.

Reeves finished someone else's trilogy, now I bet wants his own. I think that's why he protested doing it, cause I think WB wanted to continue with the DCEU Batman, but no longer. That's why the old scripts with Deathstroke are out.

As for Flash, it's a real shame that Miller appeared in CW. Now we'll probably never see a follow-up on this Flash.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
WB is in a unique kinda bind. They have the option to continue with in-universe films, standalones, or like Joker; experimental. Depending on the contracts, I have a feeling The Batman is an isolated trilogy like Nolan's.
I'm going to be honest but I am getting a bit tired of another isolated trilogy since not every future live-action cinematic depiction of Batman has to be influenced by the Nolan trilogy, not to mention that I would like to see Pattinson's Batman showing up in non-Batman DCEU films that sets up a soft reboot of Justice League, much like how The Suicide Squad is the soft reboot of Suicide Squad but that's just me.

Reeves finished someone else's trilogy, now I bet wants his own. I think that's why he protested doing it, cause I think WB wanted to continue with the DCEU Batman, but no longer. That's why the old scripts with Deathstroke are out.
Well I do know that prior to his departure in early 2019, Affleck was still attached to this following Reeves' arrival that led to his screenplay being scrapped following the failure of his recent directorial effort Live by Night.

And about the recent Planet of the Apes films, Reeves said in 2017 just before the release of War for the Planet of the Apes that he was interested in doing more Apes films after War, so it wasn't really going to be a trilogy and the fourth film was confirmed to be in development back in last April, following Disney's acquisition of 21st Century Fox and despite his interest prior to this, he will not be directing it due to The Batman, hence Wes Ball will be directing it and Ball has confirmed that his film will be a continuation of the past three films than a reboot as previously reported.

That being said, I'm going to move on from this part of the discussion on which film will be standalone or which film will not be standalone.

Anyway, I wonder who will play Reverse-Flash if this film is still planning to adapt Flashpoint.

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Yeah the reason they haven't officially said that is because admitting doing a soft reboot like this before it happens would not only ruin the "surprise" but also be an admission of failure from DC they don't want to officially make. It goes against their original plans and image but obviously is the route they're taking now realizing what didn't work and fixing to improve that. And quite honestly they can still have references and maybe even a cameo here and there from other popular builds and franchises as the reboot would just remove pretty much everything more hard core connected to Zack Snyder's involvement. Specifically anything Henry Cavill Superman related and Ben Affleck Batman related. And yeah it has been confirmed in multiple interviews that Robert Pattison's Batman takes place in the DCEU and is a part of that set of worlds so yeah the fact that the next movies right after Wonder Woman 1984 are reboots of both Batman and Suicide Squad say to me "we're doing do overs on what didn't work with things we're more confident will." I don't really know why you're upset by that man as all the best aspects are still being kept just going to be a better overall universe.

As for Flash, it's a real shame that Miller appeared in CW. Now we'll probably never see a follow-up on this Flash.

Again to me the Flash appearing on Flash's Crisis of Infinite Earth episode to me is more a sign that someone still at least wanted to keep Miller around because they were confirming he was a part of the overall DC mythos and was put in something after JL flopped which yeah you aren't going to see with say Ray Fischer's Cyborg. But after all this it does feel really doubtful we'll see a follow up to this film at all. Which... could be sad I guess was hard to get any sort of pulse on what exactly this movie was going to be as we kept hearing conflicting things about it's potential.

Frontier

Staff member
Yeah the reason they haven't officially said that is because admitting doing a soft reboot like this before it happens would not only ruin the "surprise" but also be an admission of failure from DC they don't want to officially make. It goes against their original plans and image but obviously is the route they're taking now realizing what didn't work and fixing to improve that. And quite honestly they can still have references and maybe even a cameo here and there from other popular builds and franchises as the reboot would just remove pretty much everything more hard core connected to Zack Snyder's involvement. Specifically anything Henry Cavill Superman related and Ben Affleck Batman related. And yeah it has been confirmed in multiple interviews that Robert Pattison's Batman takes place in the DCEU and is a part of that set of worlds so yeah the fact that the next movies right after Wonder Woman 1984 are reboots of both Batman and Suicide Squad say to me "we're doing do overs on what didn't work with things we're more confident will." I don't really know why you're upset by that man as all the best aspects are still being kept just going to be a better overall universe.
I don't think they've explicitly confirmed the "canonicity" of Pattinson's Batman one thing or another, just that his Batman is standalone. Practically every DC movie now is, more or less, aside from sequels.
Again to me the Flash appearing on Flash's Crisis of Infinite Earth episode to me is more a sign that someone still at least wanted to keep Miller around because they were confirming he was a part of the overall DC mythos and was put in something after JL flopped which yeah you aren't going to see with say Ray Fischer's Cyborg. But after all this it does feel really doubtful we'll see a follow up to this film at all. Which... could be sad I guess was hard to get any sort of pulse on what exactly this movie was going to be as we kept hearing conflicting things about it's potential.
Execs definitely wanted to keep Miller. They were the ones who pushed for his cameo in Crisis and it's the only explanation for why they've allowed the movie to be delayed this long, especially if Miller has also been the breaking point with some of the directors.

the greenman

My question for you all is can this film even happen? To make it fair, let's say WB allows Miller to stay on after this point. With other films moved ahead.

Neo Ultra Mike

I don't think they've explicitly confirmed the "canonicity" of Pattinson's Batman one thing or another, just that his Batman is standalone. Practically every DC movie now is, more or less, aside from sequels.

Yeah but there's a difference between being standalone in your own separate universe and just being in a totally different world. Like Shazam! Is standalone but still exists in the DCEU, while Joker does not. Also there has been leaks and talks of this movie taking place in the DCEU

And again I could be proven wrong and Wonder Woman 1984 won't reboot anything but honestly seems to me that's what they are doing and I've yet to heard anything that deconfirms that..

Execs definitely wanted to keep Miller. They were the ones who pushed for his cameo in Crisis and it's the only explanation for why they've allowed the movie to be delayed this long, especially if Miller has also been the breaking point with some of the directors.

I'm guessing it's for brand cohesion as they really only want to recast an actor if the actor themselves is done with the role or it's a small enough part to easily recast without issue as otherwise they have a lot of brand loyalty for Miller who... hasn't really proven himself much of a gigantic draw on his own. I mean I love The Perks of Being A Wallfower but... he doesn't really have major mainstream cred at all that would warrant such loyalty. Even within the Fantastic Beast stories he's like a B player that no one singled out as a saving grace for those films or anything.

My question for you all is can this film even happen? To make it fair, let's say WB allows Miller to stay on after this point. With other films moved ahead.

Technically this film has to be under production at some point soon before Miller's contract run out that I guess due to Corona pushing things back they can extend somewhat but all signs seem pretty unlikely we'll really ever see this movie get made.

Frontier

Staff member
Yeah but there's a difference between being standalone in your own separate universe and just being in a totally different world. Like Shazam! Is standalone but still exists in the DCEU, while Joker does not. Also there has been leaks and talks of this movie taking place in the DCEU

And again I could be proven wrong and Wonder Woman 1984 won't reboot anything but honestly seems to me that's what they are doing and I've yet to heard anything that deconfirms that..
Shazam and Aquaman are, I think, the last movies that will really reference direct DCEU stuff. I will be very surprised if there is anything overt in Reeve's film.
I'm guessing it's for brand cohesion as they really only want to recast an actor if the actor themselves is done with the role or it's a small enough part to easily recast without issue as otherwise they have a lot of brand loyalty for Miller who... hasn't really proven himself much of a gigantic draw on his own. I mean I love The Perks of Being A Wallfower but... he doesn't really have major mainstream cred at all that would warrant such loyalty. Even within the Fantastic Beast stories he's like a B player that no one singled out as a saving grace for those films or anything.
If they were interested in brand cohesion I think they would have tried harder to keep Cavill, Affleck, Leto, etc.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Here's the thing. The problem with you excessively repeating the same "WW84 being a soft reboot" stuff is that you never given us any evidence in order to back up your point, that's why I don't buy it at all, especially that there hasn't been any official news sources that reported it in the first place and you come off as making it up and acting as if you have sources to back it up, when really you don't.

If they were interested in brand cohesion I think they would have tried harder to keep Cavill, Affleck, Leto, etc.
Well, I am hoping that Cavill stays on (given he said that he still would love to reprise his role in a future film in interviews promoting The Witcher) and that Leto gets replaced by someone else (as much as I like Suicide Squad, his Joker was really, really bad).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts