"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
MHA will have a season 5. Date unknown. I still don't know what Toonami will do in a post MHA era. We don't even know when season 4 will finish. We have one dubbed episode left and I don't know when that will air. Pondering how Toonami can function without AAA mass appeal anime. 2020 anime seems super niche with little casual appeal. This seems to be the same problem that happened after Attack on Titan finished and before they got Kill La Kill when they couldn't find any mass appeal anime and floundered for a bit without much new stuff, with Attack on Titan reruns being the headliner. Is history going to repeat and we'll have another similar rough patch?

As for the near future, I hope Demon Slayer, Food Wars, Black Clover, and JoJo (whatever's still dubbed of those shows) will continue without too many marathon premptions as only MHA for certain and maybe JoJo seem to be in trouble. I wonder if they are trying to delay replacing SAO and Demon Slayer as it's going to be a hard hit losing two more big franchises. Hoping SAO gets a replacement instead of a slot cut. The small glimmer of hope for Mob Psycho 100 II still glares. Hope the schedule for the weekend after the Kai marathon comes out and that it's not another marathon.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
Just a minor thing, but it looks like Toonami's airing rights to Hunter x Hunter have expired. The video page is still on the Adult Swim website for now, but as of today, all the episodes have disappeared.

Edit: The page itself has been removed now.

Last edited:

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Just a minor thing, but it looks like Toonami's airing rights to Hunter x Hunter have expired. The video page is still on the Adult Swim website for now, but as of today, all the episodes have disappeared.

I think the Stardust Crusaders dub got on Netflix almost the exact same moment that it disappeared from Adult Swim. Will the same happen with the second half of HunterXHunter? This leads credence to the idea that Toonami is preventing Viz from streaming dubs anywhere besides the AS site. Funimation apparently can still stream stuff on their own site so the deal probably applies just to Viz and Aniplex.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Just discovered that the entirety of Food Wars season 3 is on Blu-Ray, meaning the dub is completed. That means only MHA, Black Clover (which is several episodes ahead), and maybe JoJo are affected and Shippuden, Demon Slayer, Food Wars, a few episodes of Black Clover can air as normal. There is no excuse for a month of marathons like the rumors say and I'm sure a lot of people looking forward to those shows will be upset if that happened. I'm wondering if they stopped MHA where they did because of a rumor that they have to be at least an episode behind where FunimationNow is. They will probably have to cut the MHA slot or replace it with Dragonball reruns or maybe season 1-3 MHA reruns, but I don't see why they have to preempt the whole block when actually only a small amount of content seems to be in immediate danger of running. Maybe they aren't planning lots of marathons and are waiting till the last minute to announce the schedule because they are undecided on MHA, but I wish they could at least tell us if we will or won't have a month of marathons.

TheCartoonRailfan

Where's my senior discount?
Toonami will be cut back a half-hour starting April 18th, lasting from midnight-3:00am EST. This information came from the Facebook page. The schedule is as follows.

12:00am My Hero Academia
12:30am Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
1:00am Food Wars!
1:30am Black Clover
2:00am Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind
2:30am Naruto: Shippuden

Reactions: RDG

Light Lucario

Staff member
That makes sense. They probably want to have fewer slots given that it would be potentially harder to find replacement shows now. I'm somewhat surprised that they're starting off with My Hero Academia since I assume that they'll have to go into reruns. Starting off with reruns usually doesn't work, but with more people staying in on Saturday nights, that might work out better than I expect.

At least Demon Slayer will hopefully be able to finish its season. I do wonder what they'll have planned for its replacement. They can potentially air another season for Food Wars, Black Clover still has a few episodes left for them to air and they could potentially finish Golden Wind, but that still gives them a challenge of possibly replacing two shows sooner than they initially expected. We'll still probably get a marathon after Demon Slayer wraps up its run.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Demarco said 3 hours was the ideal length so the slot cut isn't that much of a surprise. Thankfully Demarco says something new is on the horizon (Demon Slayer's replacement?). Glad we aren't getting marathon hell like it initially appeared. Don't know what they will do with only one MHA episode left. Even if some may be saddened by a slot cut, I'm glad we still have a lineup and the month of marathons rumor is not true.

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
Crazy to think that within 3 months, Jan 18-Apr 18 (though that Jan 18 lineup continued through Feb 1) we'll have gone from 11p-4:30a to 12a-3a. All makes sense though in this current time, and to further the above, I'd think [as] would simply let them have back 11:30 when Toonami would be ready for it, but until things get as normal as normal can be, this 3-hour block makes the most sense to savor the hoops they have to go through.

Nobodyman

Well, at least we're not going on indefinite hiatus. The new schedule is fine with me.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Toonami will be cut back a half-hour starting April 18th, lasting from midnight-3:00am EST. This information came from the Facebook page. The schedule is as follows.

12:00am My Hero Academia
12:30am Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
1:00am Food Wars!
1:30am Black Clover
2:00am Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind
2:30am Naruto: Shippuden

So instead of "let's add a rerun portion of the block" they just....shrank the line-up.

Is this the most condensed line-up since 2015?

Of those 6 shows, how many are truly "must watch" for you guys?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter

The only dubs not streaming anywhere are JoJo and Demon Slayer (Shippuden's latter half too, but meh on later Naruto). Demon Slayer has probably already shown all the good parts and we'll maybe get a training arc or something these last few episodes. Remember that Demarco says something we'll supposedly like is coming.

Light Lucario

Staff member
So instead of "let's add a rerun portion of the block" they just....shrank the line-up.

I'm almost positive that the lineup has been shortened to three hours since 2015, but I could be mistaken. I also wouldn't be shocked if they do eventually add some reruns. They probably want to get through as many new episodes as they can. That would potentially give them more time to get some new shows, as well as prevent the block from being nothing but marathons for a few weeks.

wonderfly said:

My Hero Academia and Demon Slayer are the only shows that I watch Toonami for at this point. Even though I've seen all of the dubbed episodes for My Hero Academia and I could easily rewatch previous seasons on Funimation's website, I still like watching it on TV. Demon Slayer is overrated in my book, but it's still interesting enough to watch and there isn't any other place to watch the dub legally yet. I hate Jojo, Food Wars and Black Clover, so that's a huge chuck of the block that I just don't care for. I'm pretty indifferent towards the Naruto franchise, so while I don't hate Shippuden, I have no desire to watch it, let alone stay up to watch it at 2:30AM. Toonami has picked up some good shows over the years, but their lineups leave a lot to be desired for me personally speaking.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
For people who were complaining that Toonami was a Shonen Jump block before, this must feel bad. Literally all the shows are Jump shows now. Personally, I watch most of the shows, so I'm fine with it, but people better hope that Demon Slayer's replacement is a Seinen or something.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Is this the most condensed line-up since 2015?\

Actually, I just checked, and I think it may be the most condensed schedule since 2013 (except in 2013, they would broadcast 6 shows from 12 to 3 am, then rerun those exact same shows from 3 to 6 am).

In the infamous 2015/2016 years, they were airing 7 shows (from 12 to 3:30, or from 11:30 to 3). The last slot was usually a rerun slot. This was a time period when there was concern of Toonami being cancelled, but I think "The Intruder II" kinda helped revive the block.

Now there's 6 shows again, for the first time since 2013. No, I don't think the block is in danger of being cancelled, but this is strange times indeed.

LinusFan303

Squeak

I've only been watching Demon Slayer and Food Wars and some JoJo.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
My problem is all the shows I was following gradually ended, and were replaced with stuff I had been skipping, so to jump back in now I would have to start one of the other shows and get through a massive DVR backlog first. Right now the only show I'm watching live is MHA. I'm technically still watching JoJo, but the episodes that aired in December.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
Barring these past two weeks (where I actually stayed up the whole block), the only shows I watch live are MHA and Demon Slayer. I usually watch JoJo on my DVR later in the week (since it's on so late) and I might put Food Wars on as background noise, but I gave up on Black Clover and Naruto ages ago.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts