"Star Trek: Prodigy" News & Discussion Thread

The Overlord

Let me get this straight. Supposed Star Trek fans object to Star Trek referencing political issues through allegory. Do I have that right?

Some people are SO stupid.

Also, I want to point out that I'm subscribing to the service JUST for Picard. That means CBS is getting what they want. Even better, my 83 year old dad will almost certainly be subscribing soon. This will be the first streaming service he has ever subscribed to. Simply because he liked the Pilot he saw on YouTube so much.

He's got a few projects on the fire for now, but he'll probably get a subscription next month. I can't think of a bigger metric for Picard's success than the idea that it's attracted an 83 year old to subscribe to his first streaming service,

I am sure these reviewers will come up with some excuse on why social commentary in Picard is bad and why social commentary in past shows is okay, that somehow modern issues are out of bounds, but Star Trek criticizing the Vietnam War in the 60s was okay.

I think these reviewers are less stupid and more just completely cynical and driven by greed, they will get less pateron donations if they do not complain about Picard. I do not think they act in good faith.

Anyway, I do not mind Viacom/CBS taking their time with this Star Trek cartoon, sometimes quality takes time. I think it is one of the most important thing coming out of Star Trek franchise, because the Star Trek franchise needs some shows to appeal to kids and get new fans interested in Star Trek.

Ghostbuster

Team Wolf Brothers!
Sorry, I didn't realise it was an alt-right website. It just appeared in Google News results. I'll remove the link.

Mandouga

Its okay, these websites game the Google system to appear the news feed and present themselves as legitimate pop culture news sites.

All the same, it's still possible that some or all of it might be true. Maybe if Paramount (or whoever) could make it more clear what's happening one way or the other....

The Overlord

All the same, it's still possible that some or all of it might be true. Maybe if Paramount (or whoever) could make it more clear what's happening one way or the other....

Why should anyone trust these websites run by bad faith actors? Viacom/CBS will want to release information on this series when they are ready to do so, not at some arbitrary time set by alt-right complainers who whine about everything to goose their views and likes. Creating a quality product can take time, why should they show something when there is nothing worth showing yet?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
IGN complains about the pacing, so there's some criticism from the mainstream media.
The pace on Next Gen is incredibly slow too for the most part. Star Trek has not been a slam-bang science fiction franchise until very recently. That's partly why only nerds dug it for so long.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Star Trek has not been a slam-bang science fiction franchise until very recently.

OG Star Trek had plenty of (inept and hilarious to the eyes of modern viewers) action scenes. Next Gen was when it seemed to up the drama.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
OG Star Trek had plenty of (inept and hilarious to the eyes of modern viewers) action scenes. Next Gen was when it seemed to up the drama.
I find the original series "action" scenes so badly constructed, they don't even count as action scenes to me. Literally any modern hero alive could kick Captain Kirk's ass. His only two moves involve punching and ducking. That's it. People say Kirk could beat up Picard but I don't see it. Picard can fence gallantly. Kirk moves and swings like a caveman.

Mandouga

Creating a quality product can take time, why should they show something when there is nothing worth showing yet?

I didn't mean right away, necessarily. I will agree that yes, Paramount should only talk about something when there somwthing to talk about, and that they should talk about when they're ready to.

I'm sorry for any confusion.

The Overlord

The pace on Next Gen is incredibly slow too for the most part. Star Trek has not been a slam-bang science fiction franchise until very recently. That's partly why only nerds dug it for so long.

True, but I think some people who are used to faster-paced sci-fi shows find Picard slow, personally the pace does not bother me, I like Picard.

I think this Nick cartoon series will be more fast-paced, they would only 22 minutes vs. 45 minutes and something aimed at kids needs to more fast-paced than something aimed at adults. But hopefully, it can deliver stories that fit Star Trek ethos but present them in a package that better appeals to kids. I think a lot of the big ideas from Star Trek can easily be repackaged to kids and Star Trek can tell a variety of stories, ones for adults and ones for kids. The fact that phasers have stun settings, means the main characters can shoot their enemies and not have to kill them, having action without the characters having to kill others.

The Overlord

Now that season 1 of Picard is done, it would be fun to speculate on what type of storytelling they will do with this Nick Star Trek animated series.

I liked Discovery and Picard, but both those shows tried too hard to be dark and edgy at times (random swearing and gruesome violence are thrown in to appeal to the Game of Thrones crowd). Really Star Trek does not need that stuff to tell good stories. All you need is interesting sci-fi premises and interesting social commentary and I think allegories are important for children's entertainment, IMO.

Star Trek can have action without violence, considering most phasers have a stun setting that can knock out an enemy. The heroes can use phasers set to stun, while the villains use the more lethal disruptors.

The Overlord

CBS All Access is currently having a 30-day (I think its that long) free trial for anyone who wants to check it out.

While I like Picard and Discovery, I am looking forward to the Nick cartoon because it may have content more in line with the TNG era, while Picard and Discovery try too hard to be adult at times. Really Star Trek's themes can be made into something kid-friendly with a little clever writing. Star Trek often involves situations where problems are solved with words rather than violence, which is a good lesson for kids.

I think the original aminated series attempted this sometimes but was betrayed by its low production values.

Last edited:

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
With this series coming, they should have more Star Trek references in other Nicktoons. I'd welcome them in The Loud House especially.

Mandouga

They're using the logo from the original series, which was also used for the Chris Pine movies.

Maybe it doesn't mean anything, but it could also be a clue as to what kind of show it's supposed be. We're all just going to have to wait and see.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts