Rejected Marvel Designs and Show Pitches

Frontier

Staff member
Christopher Yost explores in some detail some of the original plans for the second half of season two of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
Combining the Kree and Galactus storylines would've been interesting, especially to see how the storylines would've merged cohesively.

Given Kang's handling in the New Avengers episode wasn't popular, it doesn't surprise me he wasn't even originally intended to be in the episode. Unless the plan was always for Kang to be the villain, just not responsible for the main team being away.

I'm guessing higher ups vetoed Emperor Doom because they were starting to kick in mandates limiting X-Men/FF characters, maybe?

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Given Kang's handling in the New Avengers episode wasn't popular, it doesn't surprise me he wasn't even originally intended to be in the episode. Unless the plan was always for Kang to be the villain, just not responsible for the main team being away.

He does clarify that Kang was still supposed to be in the episode and that Yellowjacket was in the original story.

He also wanted to do a Nova episode but it didn't come through.

brodie999

He does clarify that Kang was still supposed to be in the episode and that Yellowjacket was in the original story.

He also wanted to do a Nova episode but it didn't come through.
Yeah, he also revealed he didn't want to do Ultron Unlimited because it was too awkward and they've already done Skrulls. I wonder what they could've done instead of doing the whole Ultron arc if Yost and Fine kept their original plans for Season 2. I wish it aired in October 2011. Super Hero Squad Season 2 and IMAA Season 3 aired in October 2010-July 2011. and therefore, they weren't affected by Man of Action and Jeph Loeb. I wish EMH S2 turned out the same.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Yes, Ultron Unlimited always felt redundant after the Secret Invasion. I imagine we would have needed some way to get Vision on the team, so maybe something could have happened with Ultron besides replacing all of the Avengers with robots.

it doesn't look like he mentions anything about the original plans for Powerless or Surtur. It is a real shame that the new regime had to fix things that were far from broken. we haven't been treated to a single bit of Marvel animation written by Yost since.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

brodie999

Yes, Ultron Unlimited always felt redundant after the Secret Invasion. I imagine we would have needed some way to get Vision on the team, so maybe something could have happened with Ultron besides replacing all of the Avengers with robots.

it doesn't look like he mentions anything about the original plans for Powerless or Surtur. It is a real shame that the new regime had to fix things that were far from broken. we haven't been treated to a single bit of Marvel animation written by Yost since.

Maybe having some influence from the then-in-development Avengers: Age of Ultron would have made Ultron's plans more clearer as he planned to launch a asteroid in space to destroy humanity and Thor having visions of the future with the world being destroyed by Ragnarok. Maybe they could've adapted the Bride of Ultron story arc more faithfully too. Same with Winter Soldier as HYDRA launching a helicarrier program to Conqueor the world another major plot point for the MCU. Maybe Powerless would've had Loki use energy from the Bifrost Bridge to destroy Earth as part of his revenge besides using the Destroyer armor to kill the de-powered Avengers from the 2011 Thor film.

Frontier

Staff member
I might be forgetting, but didn't Yost write an episode of Assemble? I feel like he came back for one of the cartoons. Maybe it was Guardians :confused:?

Frontier

Staff member
I am honestly curious if there was anything Cort Lane was trying to get off the ground production-wise that was canceled when he left and Kevin Feige took over.

He spoke about cartoons that were likely to be based around Fox-owned Marvel properties that were never announced even though he said we would hear about them over the Summer of last year. I guess they could still be in pre-production but we haven't had a hint of anything since then so I'm leaning towards the idea they might have been shuttled.

And Lane talked about writing a scene in a Marvel Rising special that wasn't in any of the specials that have aired, so I wonder if there were some planned future specials that got canceled.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
So, a bit of trivia in regards to the proposed "Daredevil" animated series from the 80s (which was mentioned on the first page of this thread) - apparently it wasn't picked up because of the Daredevil #184 comic, where the character uses a gun. I don't recall reading about this before.
Wow! I really didn't expect this was tge reason it didn't get greenlit. Life just isn't fair for some characters, especially when you consider that this was an era where Rated R movies became kids cartoons and G.I. Joe could simultaneously be a top kids toyline and cartoon while also being a gritty action comic full of live ammo. I guess the key is that those cartoons were all syndicated and didn't have to deal with inane decisions and frightful rejections from network execs. I wonder why Marvel Productions kept pitching shows based on their characters to networks and continually getting rejected instead of going the syndicated route themselves. Was the money or exposure that much different?

It really is a shame how rarely DD has been animated.

Frontier

Staff member
So, a bit of trivia in regards to the proposed "Daredevil" animated series from the 80s (which was mentioned on the first page of this thread) - apparently it wasn't picked up because of the Daredevil #184 comic, where the character uses a gun. I don't recall reading about this before.
That's...kind of a random thing to reject a cartoon on, but c'est la vie :(.
Wow! I really didn't expect this was tge reason it didn't get greenlit. Life just isn't fair for some characters, especially when you consider that this was an era where Rated R movies became kids cartoons and G.I. Joe could simultaneously be a top kids toyline and cartoon while also being a gritty action comic full of live ammo. I guess the key is that those cartoons were all syndicated and didn't have to deal with inane decisions and frightful rejections from network execs. I wonder why Marvel Productions kept pitching shows based on their characters to networks and continually getting rejected instead of going the syndicated route themselves. Was the money or exposure that much different?

It really is a shame how rarely DD has been animated.

This reminds me. Didn't Matthew Lillard mention voicing Daredevil for Ultimate Spider-Man in an interview? I'm not sure if that was ever corroborated or how serious he was about it :confused:.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
This reminds me. Didn't Matthew Lillard mention voicing Daredevil for Ultimate Spider-Man in an interview? I'm not sure if that was ever corroborated or how serious he was about it :confused:.
That's the first time I'm hearing this. It would be cool if he did in another project.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I legit wouldn't be opposed to him voicing Daredevil in that show. It would have been fun if he was all super serious in comparison to Pete, like Matt was in the USM comic. I really wish the show took more inspiration from the comic.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts