A Totally Spies Question: Why the recent seasons after season 3 not dubbed in english and aired on TV yet?

TheFZAtUGSOnline

Then. Now. Forever.
Well, it has been almost years since we've seen the last of W.H.O.O.P.'s finest on Television (First on CN, later on Universal Kids) but after doing some much needed research, season 3 was not the last...
There was a season 4 thru 6 but they're in french... Any clue if Marathon/Teletoon is going to dub these seasons to English and premiere them to US audiences? Just asking...

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Cartoon Network has aired season 1 to 5.
All episodes are dubbed into English, even season 6.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Season 6 didn't air on TV in the U.S. because it premiered years after CN's run of the show had ended.

To put it in perspective, season 6 aired in France in 2013. By that time, CN was already well into its 2010s renaissance when Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe, etc. were still fresh. TS had long faded from the limelight, so it wouldn't make sense for them to bring this show back when they already had some big hits of their own.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Season 6 didn't air on TV in the U.S. because it premiered years after CN's run of the show had ended.

To put it in perspective, season 6 aired in France in 2013. By that time, CN was already well into its 2010s renaissance when Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe, etc. were still fresh. TS had long faded from the limelight, so it wouldn't make sense for them to bring this show back when they already had some big hits of their own.
Cartoon Network aired season 5 in 2010 and kept rerunning it until 2012.

TheFZAtUGSOnline

Then. Now. Forever.

SpaceCowboy

Was the show recorded first in English or in French? While most websites list French as the original language, the mouth movements synch up almost exactly with the English version. As if it was timed to English and not French.

Upon viewing a little bit of the French version for comparison, the mouth movements don't synch up as well as the English one but aren't completely off either. Hmmm...

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Was the show recorded first in English or in French? While most websites list French as the original language, the mouth movements synch up almost exactly with the English version. As if it was timed to English and not French.

Upon viewing a little bit of the French version for comparison, the mouth movements don't synch up as well as the English one but aren't completely off either. Hmmm...
I checked both "Evil Hair Salon" and "Pageant Problems" and you are right, the English voices are the original. It is especially noticeable whenever they say French u. The mouth movement is usually off.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Classic Speedy said:
The reason the lip sync is good for both English and French is due to SyncMagic, a company which uses a computer program that automatically assigns mouth movements to whatever language it's dubbed in.

Still, the Marathon shows' original voices seem to be English, not French. I am currently watching Martin Mystery (Martin Mystère) in French and the mouth movements are off.

So it is not surprising that the Belgian channel VT4 aired this cartoon in English with subtitles rather than French.

Martin Mystery is extra strange because some episodes have two English versions: one for Canada and one for other countries. In the Canadian version, many episode take place within Canada. In other countries, the gnome episode takes place in Ireland, the Bogeyman episode in England etc. However, Wikipedia mentions too many changes, some are fake. For instance, "Nightmare the Coven" takes place in France in every dub.

EDIT: More proof that French is not the original language of the Marathon cartoons: the episode "Night of the Scarecrow" ends with a two/too pun. In French, this has been translated literally ("Diana avoir deux !") and everyone laughs, which doesn't make any sense as far as I can tell.

EDIT 2: Some episodes even have English text on screen, like the word "closed".

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts