"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 6 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I wonder if the lower episode count will mean a beefed up animation budget? It would be nice as the quantity rule hasn't been serving Marvel animation too well in that regard.
I sincerely hope so but I'm not going to get my hopes up too high, just in case. It would be nice if this era of Marvel animation could end with a "bang". I'd be happy for something at least Marvel Rising quality for this last season.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Joe Wagner

The one, true Scarlet Spider!
I wonder if the lower episode count will mean a beefed up animation budget? It would be nice as the quantity rule hasn't been serving Marvel animation too well in that regard.

I truly doubt that we'll see a change in animation style or quality at this point. Of all the animated shows that we've seen from Marvel, I always felt that Spectacular Spider-Man most closely resembled a true Disney-esque style, with X-Men Evolution being a close second. Unfortunately, the shows that have been produced since the Disney purchase have been largely devoid of the styles that defined animation periods like the DCAU or the Marvel animated universe of the 90's. As much as I have enjoyed Marvel's Spider-Man, I've never "liked" the overall style or animation quality.

Frontier

Staff member
I truly doubt that we'll see a change in animation style or quality at this point. Of all the animated shows that we've seen from Marvel, I always felt that Spectacular Spider-Man most closely resembled a true Disney-esque style, with X-Men Evolution being a close second. Unfortunately, the shows that have been produced since the Disney purchase have been largely devoid of the styles that defined animation periods like the DCAU or the Marvel animated universe of the 90's. As much as I have enjoyed Marvel's Spider-Man, I've never "liked" the overall style or animation quality.
I kinda wish we had more shows looking like Earth's Mightiest Heroes...

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
I sincerely hope so but I'm not going to get my hopes up too high, just in case. It would be nice if this era of Marvel animation could end with a "bang". I'd be happy for something at least Marvel Rising quality for this last season.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah, even just up to that level would be a big step up- as that show is probably the best animated of the current crop.

I've honestly felt the same way about both of those shows, high quality productions with a lot of personality suiting the characters. That's why it's so hard for me to get into these shows, they just feel devoid of style or personality and as solid as the stories can be with this show it just really irks me sometimes because it looks and sounds as bland as you can get for Spider-Man's colorful world. It's like "man, you can do better-I've seen better!"

I kinda wish we had more shows looking like Earth's Mightiest Heroes...

I'm almost through rewatching it on Disney Plus and it really makes one long for more like it. As good of an Avengers cartoon one could possibly make, taking you to near-every corner of the Marvel U in an authentic feeling and looking way that captures the spirit of the entire comics U as well as telling something cohesive that builds together that knowledge of having 50 years of stories to pull from. Something full of great effort and passion is what it feels like, and it *looks* great and moves fluidly to boot.

Frontier

Staff member
Yeah, even just up to that level would be a big step up- as that show is probably the best animated of the current crop.
I have to imagine the reason production on Marvel Rising stuff takes so long contributes to why the animation looks so much better.
I'm almost through rewatching it on Disney Plus and it really makes one long for more like it. As good of an Avengers cartoon one could possibly make, taking you to near-every corner of the Marvel U in an authentic feeling and looking way that captures the spirit of the entire comics U as well as telling something cohesive that builds together that knowledge of having 50 years of stories to pull from. Something full of great effort and passion is what it feels like, and it *looks* great and moves fluidly to boot.
Yeah, I really feel like we haven't seen that, at least comprehensively, from a Marvel cartoon in a while :(.
According to the toy lines this are the designs for the third season Maximum Venom

Man, this season seems like it's getting a much bigger promotional push then the series has gotten up to this point :sweat:.

Although the Cap and Iron Man toys don't really match their show designs :confused:.

Joe Wagner

The one, true Scarlet Spider!
Man, this season seems like it's getting a much bigger promotional push then the series has gotten up to this point :sweat:.

Although the Cap and Iron Man toys don't really match their show designs :confused:.

I have been thinking the same thing. After the prolonged break in the middle of Season 2, it's kind of amazing how much of a push Season 3 is getting. In some ways, it's almost like Disney is more excited to support Venom 2 by having symbiote product out prior to October, whereas this show was a complete afterthought when Far From Home was released in theatres.

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Marvel/Disney has that merchandising money to make, kids like Venom, and kids will like Venomized heroes. It's like the most calculated tandem push for cartoon+toys I've seen in a while. I get why people are excited about this season, because the idea just taps into a more specific mass-appeal type of thing (those Venomized variant covers from a few years ago were really popular), but it also just feels so blatantly "toy commercial" ish if you know what I mean. That's why I'm just innately kinda jaded by the idea.

I get the very reason most successful superhero kids cartoons exist is to sell toys, but I like it better when it's less blatant and better woven into the actual stories you're trying to tell. This just feels like a call from up top said "Ok you get more, so do more Venom, and give everybody a venom, call it all venom!"

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I do find it kind of amusing that, going by Hasbro's recent merchandising report, this show and the Amazing Friends Disney Jr. cartoon are the only animated Marvel works getting merchandise this year and next.

bigdaddy313

According to the series toy packaging and promotional artist, Patrick Brown, Marvel credited him in Maximum Venom and changed the character designs to match his artwork.

I'm assuming this means that Anya will be wearing the white and black Spider-Girl suit seen on toys and promo art and that Peter's Spider-Man suit will have the blue web-shooters and blue soles.
You know I always assumed that Marvel didn't use his art work at all cause the show looks nothing like it. It's nice that the show will look different I wonder if Marvel Studios interrupted the production and decide to update it.
I am looking at his art works on instagram and if the new Marvel makes him their key artist, using his designs and art style for future projects I'll be extremely happy.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
According to the series toy packaging and promotional artist, Patrick Brown, Marvel credited him in Maximum Venom and changed the character designs to match his artwork.

I'm assuming this means that Anya will be wearing the white and black Spider-Girl suit seen on toys and promo art and that Peter's Spider-Man suit will have the blue web-shooters and blue soles.
I always found it pretty disappointing that the show has never really matched well with Patrick Brown's designs, although unsurprising given how often Marvel cartoons don't match their concept or promotional artwork, so I'm down for a visual makeover :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts