General International TV Channels Thread

SpongeBobFan2004

I once read that Telecable (limited to hotels and the like) pirated channels off American platforms, IDK if they did that with Latin American ones like the closest operators available to them, SKY Mexico (+Central America and the Dominican Republic), Dish Mexico and Claro Central America.

Cubavisión (not the international one, the local one with a blue and green logo) made international headlines for being the first channel in the entire world to air James Cameron's Avatar in 2010.

Oh and the internet is limited, recently they're making progress, yet speeds are slow. One of my old Spanish teachers went to Cuba in 2017 and was satisfied, probably because of the telecommunications issues. Only recently they're converting channels to 16:9 (Canal Caribe being a recent example) but I don't know if they're switching to HD yet.

Besides they're the only American country to use the Chinese digital terrestrial television standard, because of their regime.

In Venezuela, minor regional cable platforms pirate international channels from Arab satellites without any authority. They also get channels from Brazilian airwaves without any authority from the local stations and their respective affiliate networks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
They do that a lot in Hispanic South America. There are loads of community cable systems in Colombia with tons of FTA channels. They can carry regular cable channels but they're limited to nine IIRC.

SpongeBobFan2004

They do that a lot in Hispanic South America. There are loads of community cable systems in Colombia with tons of FTA channels. They can carry regular cable channels but they're limited to nine IIRC.

Many minor cable operators in Venezuela used Canal RCN instead of its international version (Nuestra Tele Internacional (at that time, TV Colombia)) sadly Venezuela removed this channel alongside Caracol Internacional in 2017 due to strange relations with Colombia etc. They also get Globo affiliates from portions of Brazil instead of Globo Internacional. This may cause piracy costs for Globo and for its massive growing program catalogue.

SpongeBobFan2004

Many minor cable operators in Venezuela used Canal RCN instead of its international version (Nuestra Tele Internacional (at that time, TV Colombia)) sadly Venezuela removed this channel alongside Caracol Internacional in 2017 due to strange relations with Colombia etc. They also get Globo affiliates from portions of Brazil instead of Globo Internacional. This may cause piracy costs for Globo and for its massive growing program catalogue.

Intercable carries CCTV-4 but I don’t know if the authorities at CONATEL removed it because of Venezuela-China relations?

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner

Not that, it's the national (satellite) feed. However fewer and fewer people are getting it because of changes to Brazil with 5G, surprisingly enough some people are still on analog!
Intercable carries CCTV-4 but I don’t know if the authorities at CONATEL removed it because of Venezuela-China relations?

Maybe it's due to bandwidth limitations. CGTN in Spanish is an alternative, aside from being part of the Chinese government of course.

SpongeBobFan2004

Not that, it's the national (satellite) feed. However fewer and fewer people are getting it because of changes to Brazil with 5G, surprisingly enough some people are still on analog!

Maybe it's due to bandwidth limitations. CGTN in Spanish is an alternative, aside from being part of the Chinese government of course.

So that’s why the reason CCTV-4 got removed from major cable operators in Venezuela because of frequency and bandwidth limitations?

There’s still cities in Brazil that are stuck on analog. Globo (& some of its affiliates) receives their parabolic feed through its satellites really well. As of 2019, Globo discontinued local programs on their satellite feed.

Last edited:

SpongeBobFan2004

Well one of the smaller cable providers in Venezuela, Planet INTV (One of the breakups of Planet Cable) carries one of Globo's affiliates, TV Grande Rio from Petrolina without authority from their owners...

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
So that’s why the reason CCTV-4 got removed from major cable operators in Venezuela because of frequency and bandwidth limitations?
It might not be that, maybe CGTN en Español is more appealing, partly due to it overcoming the language barrier. CCTV-4 is in Mandarin, they dropped English subtitles from almost all of its shows recently.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
And RT's Spanish feed too.

Portugal only has five channels from China: CCTV-4, CGTN, CGTN Documentary, Phoenix CNE and Phoenix Infonews. There are also two local channels airing Chinese content (IU and CTC), however the content of these two is just looped playlists, they haven't even updated their content.

SpongeBobFan2004

And RT's Spanish feed too.

Portugal only has five channels from China: CCTV-4, CGTN, CGTN Documentary, Phoenix CNE and Phoenix Infonews. There are also two local channels airing Chinese content (IU and CTC), however the content of these two is just looped playlists, they haven't even updated their content.

In China, there are regional channels that transmit via satellite...too bad the entire Chinese TV market is dominated by CCTV and streaming video websites.

J10

BBC First and Discovery Family has been removed from OSN, and has became Spare 1002 and Spare 4501, on the same transponders via Nilesat (11804 H/12073 H). Also, on the same frequency of Animal Planet’s Infocard (12073 H), the channel has been replaced by OSN Mix, and the Ch. ID has became Spare 4505.
1578952962190.jpeg

منتديات ستار تايمز

EDIT: OSN Mix/MX has been removed, and became testcard on Spare 4505.

Last edited:

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
The TVCine channels are set to rebrand at 21:30 WET tonight. From this point on, TVSéries will become a temporary promotional channel until its slot will be terminated.

SpongeBobFan2004

In Costa Rica, there are 4 channels owned by Repretel (CDR 2,4,6,11) and 2 by Teletica. (7 (namesake) & 33) There are other independent channels. (Canal Nueve, Trece Costa Rica, Enlace among others)

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Repretel is actually owned by Albavisión, a giant in the Latin American media industry. However many have accused them of fraudulent activities.

Colombia and Venezuela are by far the largest Hispanic countries not to have their operations. (Panama has/had Radio Disney)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts