"The Flash" Feature Film Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

the greenman

Can't call Suicide Squad a failure. It made about 300 mil short of a billion. While, yeah critically I'm sure it sucked, but they would never have done a sequel at all.

I DO get you though Neo Ultra Mike. The jury is out on WW 84 still until we see it context.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Otaku-sempai

Uh again pretty sure Wonder Woman 1984 is doing a more full reboot of the entire DCEU. I mean seriously why else would the next two movies after that be a new rebooted Batman and Suicide Squad? Like they are trying to note call those movies reboot but that's ONLY because they don't want to admit that previous films in the franchise weren't total failures that needed a reboot but... yeah they are and were and they are being gotten rid of for what works. The Flash isn't going to really do that as it will have already been done by that point.
I'm not sure that came out quite the way that you meant it, but most of the films were not total failures (and two or three were actually quite the success). The ones that didn't work mainly failed critically more than financially, for the most part. Batman v Superman and Justice League were the biggest disappointments with the latter performing well below expectations. Suicide Squad may have been deeply flawed, but it still performed.

The Flash, assuming it gets made and released, is going to have to perform at least as well as SS. I also don't see Flashpoint as the best way to go in Barry's first solo movie. If they are really in a hurry to establish a multiverse or multiple timelines, maybe the filmmakers should base a movie on "The Flash of Two Worlds".
1578580126994.png

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Can't call Suicide Squad a failure. It made about 300 mil short of a billion. While, yeah critically I'm sure it sucked, but they would never have done a sequel at all.

Technically the reason we are getting and seeing another Suicide Squad being filmed now because that's the project James Gunn wanted to work on when he was temporarily fired from Marvel and went over to DC. They like offered him a bunch of projects (Superman was one of them I believe) but he wanted Suicide Squad. i have my own theories as to specifically why besides being a fan of the material (he knew the first film ripped him off and wanted to do SS to show it being done right) but that's the big reason another one is being worked on. There was talk for awhile of Ayer working on a second one that never went anywhere and then he was put on Gotham City Sirens which literally just came out with another report of it also not going anywhere so yeah the negative critical reaction is a bit more important here then you'd think. That said...

I'm not sure that came out quite the way that you meant it, but most of the films were not total failures (and two or three were actually quite the success). The ones that didn't work mainly failed critically more than financially, for the most part. Batman v Superman and Justice League were the biggest disappointments with the latter performing well below expectations. Suicide Squad may have been deeply flawed, but it still performed.

Otaku Sempai is right in that technically the only outright failures would technically be Justice League but the other Zack snyder DCEU films, including Man of Steel did severly under perform. Heck MoS was again suppose to just have a straight up sequel made but they wanted to up the numbers to compete directly more with marvel thus rushing to Batman v Superman dawn of Justice which yeah was just a TERRIBLE idea. but yeah stuff like suicide Squad was a financial hit but it's clear with how well Wonder Woman and Aquaman did that it could of been more of one if it was seen as a better movie. plus yeah it's clear DC wants to move away from snyder's general touch as quickly as possible. The birds of Prey movie with Harley Quinn seems to be ignoring as much of SS and the Universe as it possibly can and IMHO WW84 will reboot a bunch of it thus why in 2021 we're going to get a new take on Batman as well as the Squad only keeping the members that worked and rebooting the rest of that franchise.

Quite honestly Flash itself should of been rebooted in that process but I guess Ezra Miller unlike say Ray Fisher has enough sway to stay on board the DCEU... for now. We'll see though in the coming months if this movie goes anywhere let alone actually gets made.

Otaku-sempai

Yeah, I should have included Man of Steel, but that was a financial success once we include worldwide box office for the total. The move was derivative of previous films (I remember when Brainiac was originally teased for this) and failed to represent Superman with the optimism that we usually associate with the character.

Ezra Miller is now 27 years old. He could still star in a partially re-booted Flash movie as Barry was not a kid when he was first introduced. The film could even go back to having him be a police scientist or something close to that.

Frontier

Staff member
Another thing with Flashpoint, is I just feel like this movie should avoid stuff that the TV show has already done to death (which is Reverse-Flash and time travel).

I mean, it's The Flash, so you kind of have to deal with that stuff at some point, but it feels like it will just be overdone by the time they do it on film.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The Flash, assuming it gets made and released, is going to have to perform at least as well as SS. I also don't see Flashpoint as the best way to go in Barry's first solo movie. If they are really in a hurry to establish a multiverse or multiple timelines, maybe the filmmakers should base a movie on "The Flash of Two Worlds".
Idk, to me it reeks of WB/DC getting thirsty after seeing Endgame and thinking they can make something like that at this point in their cinematic universe.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Idk, to me it reeks of WB/DC getting thirsty after seeing Endgame and thinking they can make something like that at this point in their cinematic universe.
They always refuse to put in the work. And then they wonder why audiences don't respond. From the sounds of it, the Flash movie is gonna suck if these reports of Flashpoint are true. Flashpoint needs to be saved for the LAST Flash film, not used up in the first.

the greenman

I love how it's now canon that Miller's Flash got the inspiration for his codename from Grant Gustin's Flash :D.

All the better if Gustin's Flash gives Miller the inspiration for a more streamlined Flash suit ;).
Yeah, Miller's Flash costume has always been a bone of contention. We'll see where this goes.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
So I guess this means we can blame all continuity issues in DCEU on Flashpoint.

the greenman

So I guess this means we can blame all continuity issues in DCEU on Flashpoint.
I believe that was the point. WB now is going to reboot. It only makes sense. Maybe at SDCC we'll get more info on what this film is planning to do. I just hope Cavill is still around.

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Eh I don't think Cavill will be around and like how Marvel didn't consider any of their TV shows canon to the movies even when they directly reference them in the shows (up until the Disney+ streaming series even Agents of Shield probably wasn't canon in Kevin Feige's eyes to any of the films) I don't think the films will reference these shows as IMHO any rebooting will be more from Wonder Woman 1984 then this.

I will say this though; that cameo got me way more on board that there will actually BE a Flash movie then ANY news of this film last year did. Why? Because canon or not, the CW still bothered going through the effort of actually getting Miller and contacting his people and suiting him up and having him taken to Vancouver to shoot this cameo with Grant Gustin. In other words it shows SOMEONE at DC still actually sees him as this character and wants to continue working with him in a way that you know we can actually see on screen. You can talk about scripts and hiring directors all you want but as Gambit and many other failed never made it to screen projects show, a lot of time that's all behinds the scenes talk that can amount to nothing. Actually having PROOF that this take is still relevant is something we now got so yeah though i'm still not 100% convinced this movie is happening this is much more actual proof of it then we've gotten in a long time as it also shows DC being comfortable with two takes of this character appearing at once.

EDIT: This is even more amped with the reveal that this cameo was not someone from the Arrowverse's idea but apparently one of the producers over actually making the DCEU films. Whether it was a favor to Ezra Miller or not still way more proof a flash film is happen then again like all the other news about it in the last few months.

Last edited:

the greenman

Sure it was. I honestly have trouble beileving that.
What really gives me pause, is the lack of casting news for Iris. It has already been reported, Clemons will not return back in 2017. So, unless they've written her out of the script, they should be recasting her about now.

I've been thinking they should get Keke Palmer. She's grown to be a better actress than even this part deserves. However, she's around the same age. Though she might be contracted to her talk show right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts