Debate: Are Secret Identities Worth Keeping?

Are Secret Identities Worth Keeping?

• Total voters

glennbyrnes

Now that Superman has told the world that he is Clark Kent, it has become the latest trend in superheros going public on their secret identities. Thor and Wonder Woman abandoned theirs all together.

What about you? Do you think that a superhero's secret identity is more trouble than it is worth? Please give your vote and/or opinion here.

Thank you.

Otaku-sempai

Yes, but mostly when there is a good, dramatic reason for a double identity. It's also interesting to see how super-powered persons deal with operating with a publicly-known identity. A secret identity for Wonder Woman ceased making much sense once she became Themyscira's official ambassador (and later a literal Goddess of Truth). Batman, on the other hand, follows a long literary tradition that includes the Scarlet Pimpernel, Zorro and the Shadow.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I think Secret Identities are passe at this point. They seem to do many heroes more harm than good. Spider-Man wouldn't have half the problems he does if everyone knew he was Peter Parker.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
If a hero's identity is ever found out, villains can exploit that knowledge by holding their friends and loved ones hostage. That's why superhero identities are important.

Zorak Masaki

One thing that should be considered is that some (not all, obviously) heroes also need to make money somehow, if just to make money for their devices, which is why they need a civilian identity.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Clark likes being just Clark. He has super senses so it's not like Lois suffers that much from not knowing he is Superman.

Bruce Wayne revealing his identity would be bad for Wayne Enterprises.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A202F met Tapatalk

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Exactly. The public not knowing Superman is Clark doesn't help Lois Lane any.

Lois Lane pretty much follows the bad guys around just to get a scoop, regardless of Superman's identity, so it's usually her fault when she gets captured.
What about Clark's other friends and relatives, though? What about the Kents or his friends in Smallville and Metropolis?

glennbyrnes

Lois Lane pretty much follows the bad guys around just to get a scoop, regardless of Superman's identity, so it's usually her fault when she gets captured.
What about Clark's other friends and relatives, though? What about the Kents or his friends in Smallville and Metropolis?
The baddies go after them too.

glennbyrnes

Some heroes don't even bother to keep their identities secret. One case in point is the Fantastic Four.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts