"Ghostbusters: Afterlife" Movie News and Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Not a huge fan of the Ghostbusters franchise itself, but I really enjoyed the first two movies. I think this is pointless if the main characters only have glorified cameos.

What I dislike about movie franchises is that the studios make it more about the brand than the characters. Everything I like about Ghostbusters has something to do with Venkman, Stantz, Spengler, and Zeddemore. Obviously, Egon can't be in this movie, but I won't be invested in these kids unless you tell me why they're important to the original Ghostbusters, though I'm guessing the young girl is related to Egon (which all things considered, is the best thing to do).

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
I don't remember the Ecto-1 having a gunner seat in the movies, unless that's a reference to the Real Ghostbusters.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
We don't really get much of the old cast (who I am hoping is doing more then just showing up in cameos) and I admit the only laugh I got out of this one is the kid going "remember the summer we died laying under the table?" but I admit I do like the look of this one and honestly I am glad that isn't a world where no one believes that ghosts exist but rather one where they just haven't been seen for awhile (it's kind of confusing in the marketting and talk of this film if the events of Ghostbusters 2 happened though as a lot of the promotional material talks about the last big experience was with Stay Puff but doesn't mention the statue of liberty rising because of Vigo the carpartian or anything like that) and that yeah the grandfather since they mentioned him being dead is obviously Egon Spangler because this way they can have a connection to Harold Ramis's character even after his tragic passing. Thus we'll likely see the other Ghostbusters and co seek out this guy's family when all of these ghost signs come back.
It was just the first trailer and basically to introduce the new cast and the plot. I actually liked that they didn't include scenes with the original cast other than them looking at the old footage. But yeah, let's not worry about canon just yet. There's going to be plenty interviews about that I imagine. lol.

though I'm guessing the young girl is related to Egon (which all things considered, is the best thing to do).
Well, I mean... the Vanity article and the trailer heavily suggested Trevor and Phoebe are Egon's grand children. And Callie never knew Egon, her father, that's a mystery I imagine the movie will get into. Or even who her mother is.

I think I remember there being one on the toy or in the cartoon.
Kenner's The Real Ghostbusters Ecto-1 had a seat on top of the roof rack and they've used similar seat less add-ons to the roof during the run of The Real Ghostbusters, usually when they were dealing with a powerful entity like Mee-Krah in "Standing Room Only", or in "The Slob", "The Magnificent Five" (this one might have had a seat I think). The gunner seat coming out the side is new.

rggkjg1

KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
Not surprised that it's looking like exactly what I feared it would be. Applying the Stranger Things, Super 8, It (2017), etc formula and just doing a nostalgic trip down memory lane. If I want a trip down memory lane, I'll play the 2009 video game and be more involved. Not just simply watch characters go down memory lane in a film.

The basic premise of Ghostbusters is this - A business/service similar to that of a police or fire department. You call Ghostbusters to come to your residence and take care of your haunting by catching a ghost. Or even more simply, an exterminator or pest control business/service for ghosts. Don't see any of that here. At least Ghostbusters 2016 got that right. Would you rather want adults or kids show up and catch your ghosts?

I'm leaning twards the assumed characterization of Egon being "wrong". Out of all the Ghostbusters, he's the one you'd expect to not have a life (relationships and especially children). Maybe he just got caught up in his work and that drove his family away. That could work. What I think doesn't work is Egon being the "sentimental" one and leaving behind all the equipment hidden away for his family to eventually find in the event of his absence. That sounds more like Ray. Maybe Ray hid everything away.

When Harold Ramis passed, I didn't want to see any live action incarnation of Ghostbusters ever again. It died with him. I moved on. I can't think of any way a live action film would work. Actually, there is one idea that would work, which could offer more than just a trip down memory lane, be a sequel yet stand on its own, and probably satisfy more fans - Live action EXTREME GHOSTBUSTERS movie. Same characters and same premise as the cartoon. Just swap out Egon for Ray.

So let me guess how the entire movie is going to go: The adults in the town don't believe the kids about the ghosts, so it's up to our group of friends to join together and deal with the problem themselves. After that, it's all wacky hijinks from there. A 13 year old driving a car, the youngest of the group not being able to handle the power of a proton pack (let alone be able to carry it or wear it on their back), one of them trying on a uniform and it will obviously not fit them. What will these silly rascals get into next? Twards the end our group of friends get in way over their heads, so Paul Rudd and the mother join up to look for them. During this time they bond and hint at or develop a love interest. They rescue the kids, or simply find them and become in danger themselves. Some how they get out of it, day is saved. Along the way viewers are encouraged to find the hidden easter eggs spread through out. "The cemetery is named after Shandor?! I 'member him!!!!!"

And my prediction for a surprise/twist is that Paul Rudd's character ends up being Baby Oscar now an Adult.

the greenman

I wonder if the lack of mentioning the statue of liberty was deliberate. Murray hated GB2. That may have either been a choice like all the modern movie sequels like Halloween or Terminator. Or they could even keep it as a joke. However, seeing how it's the Ecto 1 & not the ECTO 1A, I have a feeling GB2 never existed.

Aykroyd is a huge motor head, so this is no mistake. Which also means Dana doesn't have a child?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
Finn Wolfhard sits down for an interview:

“Older Ghostbusters fans will find it’s a really, really faithful approach to the series.”

“It’s also really funny, so I’m really excited for people to see it.”

Good news that the comedy is still there. Hopefully it won't get delayed....

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
10/20: Some assorted bits from the past 7 months:

On August 16, 2020, before a screening of Ghostbusters at Sony Pictures Studios, Jason Reitman mentioned Afterlife is in the midst of being finished.

On September 14, 2020, Callie Coon commented she isn't just filling a mom role and her character "has a personality, a sense of humor and she does get in on the action."

On September 16, 2020, Callie Coon revealed her husband Tracy Letts was also cast because he happened to be in Canada with her and their son Haskell when the production lost an actor to due to a conflict. She also implies her character uses a Proton Pack.

On September 18, 2020, Sony released a 2 minute video featuring the Ghostbusters franchise amid the company's 50 year anniversary on the New York Stock Exchange. The video included behind the scenes during principal photography and shots of a joint interview with Ivan and Jason Reitman.

On September 25, 2020, Sony posted a three videos with Sound Editor Jessica Parks about the sound of the Proton Stream and what it invokes and editing from her dining room at home using 360 Virtual Mixing Environment.

On September 26, 2020, during Day 2 of Hasbro Pulse Con, Jason Reitman confirmed Rust City was the original name of the movie when he wrote it with Gil Kenan, they had three Cadillacs total, they went frame by frame through the original movie looking for details on Ecto-1, scanned the original Ecto-1's license plate so they could replicate it perfectly, hinted there would be more surprises about Ecto-1 besides the gunner seat seen in the trailer, and thanks to the new engine, Ecto-1 will be doing things fans would never believe it could do.

On October 5, 2020, Jason Reitman posted from the Sony lot hinting at directing something related to Afterlife. Celeste O'Connor and Logan Kim were also present. O'Connor and Kim each posted a photo of themselves with Element skateboards from the recently announced Ghostbusters line. Finn Wolfhard was also on the Sony lot.

On October 8, 2020, the Ecto-1 used in Afterlife was seen at the Sony lot.

On October 12, 2020, Jason Reitman posted a photo from Day 1 of a scoring session at the Barbra Streisand Scoring Stage at Sony Pictures. Curt Sobel posted a photo with his editors.

On October 13, 2020, Curt Sobel posted a photo from Day 2 of the scoring session at Sony. He worked with Peter Bernstein, Mark Graham, Rob Simonsen, Greg Hayes, and Larry Mah. For reference, Peter Bernstein has 47 years of experience in the industry, was an orchestrator on the 84 movie and his father Elmer Bernstein did the score for the 84 movie. Mark Graham is listed as Afterlife's orchestrator and he's been in the game since 1980, one of his first gigs was Dark Crystal. He's worked with Jason Reitman before, like The Front Runner. He's done a lot of heavy hitters but in recent time, Avengers: Endgame, DC's Stargirl series, The Mandalorian, Pixar movies, some up coming stuff like Jungle Cruise, Coming 2 America, it's a long list. Rob Simonsen is the composer and worked before with Reitman on Tully and also on Front Runner. Greg Hayes I think is the scoring mixer. Larry Mah is another scoring mixer and all around sound engineer. Looks like he started out on both of the 90s TMNT movies.

On October 16, 2020, Sony Electronics revealed in a press release that they collaborated with Sony Pictures Entertainment and Ghost Corps on Afterlife. The collaboration "focused on using the SR Display to bring both familiar and new film characters to life, through the new visual medium." Eric Reich commented, "Moving forward, we could see potential benefits from pre-visualization to 3D modeling. The display offers a new approach to visualizing concepts and characters, making understanding the finished product that much easier."

10/21: Moved to June 11, 2021.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Better date anyway, since summer is when the first two Ghostbusters installments came out.
And they can make a big week out of it because they recently started their Ghostbusters Day on June 8. So while it will probably be a virtual event, still, they make a big splash of it. Ever since Jurassic World: Dominion left the June 11, 2021 slot for June 10, 2022, I was thinking Sony would move Afterlife to June 11, 2021 and make thing out of the week of Ghostbusters Day. Hold a virtual event on Wednesday June 8 to celebrate/hype, some kind of red carpet at an IMAX screening on June 9/10, main theatrical release on June 11, that sort of thing. Though Sony does have a CG animated movie Vivo for June 4 and the Venom sequel is June 25 currently. And compete with a Conjuring and Micronauts movie, too, I think.

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
New image with new interview from Jason Reitman.

AfterlifeEmpireMarch2021PromoImage.jpg

This time, the action moves out of New York and into rural Oklahoma, with fresh young leads in Mckenna Grace and Stranger ThingsFinn Wolfhard, playing a pair of kids who stumble upon the original ‘busters tech. Afterlife is set to arrive this summer, over thirty years since Ghostbusters II hit the big screen – and for Jason Reitman, there was one person above all who he wanted to impress. In early December, he was finally able to screen the film for him. “My father hasn’t been leaving the house much because of Covid,” he tells Empire in his first interview about the movie, published in the upcoming new issue – available to pre-order here. “But he took a test, put on a mask and drove down to the Sony lot to watch the movie with the studio. And after, he cried, and he said, ‘I’m so proud to be your father.’ And it was one of the great moments of my life.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts