"Star Wars: The Mandalorian (Disney+)" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this season

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Okay, a village that needs help kind of story. Not bad. I liked how menacing they made the AT-ST at night.

Cara Dune was an interesting new character, ex-Rebel and all, and gave a bit of insight to post-ROTJ.

I had my suspicions, but Mando confirmed pretty much that he's not a Mandalorian by blood and was adopted by that tribe we saw in earlier episodes and raised as one.

I fooled myself into thinking Cara was going to join up with the Mandalorian or there was a story behind why Omera was such a good shot.

But even without the recap, makes sense the Child wasn't safe and the guild is still searching for him.

Mandalorians aren't allowed to put back on the helmet? Sabine took hers off and put it back on all the time.
Was this Sabine character actively part of a tribe or officially operated as a Mandalorian?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Okay, a village that needs help kind of story. Not bad. I liked how menacing they made the AT-ST at night.

Cara Dune was an interesting new character, ex-Rebel and all, and gave a bit of insight to post-ROTJ.

I had my suspicions, but Mando confirmed pretty much that he's not a Mandalorian by blood and was adopted by that tribe we saw in earlier episodes and raised as one.

I fooled myself into thinking Cara was going to join up with the Mandalorian or there was a story behind why Omera was such a good shot.

But even without the recap, makes sense the Child wasn't safe and the guild is still searching for him.

Was this Sabine character actively part of a tribe or officially operated as a Mandalorian?
Her race was Mandalorian and they sort of operated as a ruling family political dynasty instead. I don't see how both ideas from both shows can be true, but according to Disney canon law, they somehow are.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Her race was Mandalorian and they sort of operated as a ruling family political dynasty instead. I don't see how both ideas from both shows can be true, but according to Disney canon law, they somehow are.
From what little I know, I thought she was in a school on Mandalore, ran off and became a bounty hunter. So she wasn't officially operating as a Mandalorian. But she's from a clan, this guy's in a tribe. Rules are different, she wasn't following them... Idk, this seems like a question for Filoni.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Watched the first four episodes over the holiday weekend. I'm just going to get Baby Yoda out of the way and say yes, he's very cute, and one of the bigger reasons to watch the show.

I wish Disney-era Star Wars writers would remember back in the day when an untrained person would have a difficult time trying to lift a small rock off the ground. Maybe Baby Yoda's midichlorian count is Anakin's x9000...

Overall, I like the callbacks to previous Star Wars series, because it does give the series a more authentic Star Wars feel. On the other hand, I have to give Lucas credit in doing something for the OT and PT that this series hasn't really done as well: if you fly to a different planet, you meet different alien species. As much as I like the callbacks, it does seem kind of odd that every species we've encountered, regardless of planet, is a species we've pretty much already seen somewhere in the original movies. A lot of people on a lot of planets speak Huttese, and Jawas seem to have explored the galaxy when I didn't get that impression from the OT or PT.

The AT-ST reveal was really cool, but the action sequences were a bit lacking. Their plan to defeat it involved outrunning its gunfire on foot? Eesh. I guess those nameless Ewoks are simply victims of not having plot armor.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I wish Disney-era Star Wars writers would remember back in the day when an untrained person would have a difficult time trying to lift a small rock off the ground. Maybe Baby Yoda's midichlorian count is Anakin's x9000...
Yeah, I'm thinking Yoda's species naturally have super high midichlorian counts -- which probably why Yoda is so elite in his power set and probably why this baby is a target.

Overall, I like the callbacks to previous Star Wars series, because it does give the series a more authentic Star Wars feel. On the other hand, I have to give Lucas credit in doing something for the OT and PT that this series hasn't really done as well: if you fly to a different planet, you meet different alien species. As much as I like the callbacks, it does seem kind of odd that every species we've encountered, regardless of planet, is a species we've pretty much already seen somewhere in the original movies. A lot of people on a lot of planets speak Huttese, and Jawas seem to have explored the galaxy when I didn't get that impression from the OT or PT.
Yeah, but where this show is set in is an area of space akin to the Old West. The boonies, border towns, ad hoc settlements, trading posts, rest stops etc. where species have spread out from their home planets for whatever reason so these planets are like melting pots of different species along with the natives if they're still around. In this case they were. Since that villager talked about the ponds being set up generations ago, either they're the natives or settlers that sought refuge on the planet. Hard to say if in SW there's any planet that hasn't been explored by outside forces yet. The Jawas, I'm curious if they were like a support crew/slave labor brought around by settlers and got left behind along they way on planets after they served their purpose and developed a similar hierarchy/culture by random chance. Huttese, well, for these outer rim planets where the Huts and other mafia families have influence, I'm sure they've made some things mandatory like Huttese to learn.

The AT-ST reveal was really cool, but the action sequences were a bit lacking. Their plan to defeat it involved outrunning its gunfire on foot? Eesh. I guess those nameless Ewoks are simply victims of not having plot armor.
Well, to be fair, they told the villagers the best option was to leave since they had no chance. And the plan they came up with wasn't too good either because the AT-ST could have just parked there before the hole and opened fire. But they did the dumb move and got baited.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
TheMandalorianLogo.jpeg

Chapter 5 "The Gunslinger" – December 6, 2019
The Mandalorian helps a rookie bounty hunter who is in over his head.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars: The Mandalorian "Chapter 5: The Gunslinger"

Amy Sedaris in Star Wars? Stranger things have happened, I suppose. But I can't think of many off of the top of my head.

Do you know what I like? When it turns out the lovable, harmless seeming bounty hunter wannabe is rotten to the core, the message of the episode isn't "Don't trust anyone in this world". Because the lady mechanic helps Mando, and even babysits for him. In an episode where a guy you had no real harsh feelings towards turns out to be a heel, it's a very important message that not all people are bad.

Wamp rat? Is that a standard slur on Tatooine?

Great role for Ming-Na Wen. As far as the ending goes, I can't even tell for sure if they killed her off or not. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Not as great as the past couple of weeks, but if the show WAS always that great, I'd consider it weird. I am a firm believer in a show not making every episode amazing. Because it makes the amazing episodes stand-out more. And it's not like the episode still wasn't great. ****.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Amy Sedaris! Agreed, it was a pleasant surprise. Once I heard the voice of Peli Motto I did a double take and realized that was Sedaris. lol. That's 2 for 2, the mechanic is the one to trust.

And Ming-Na as Fennec which was already revealed in online news but still very cool. A little bummed she was killed off or maybe she wasn't. She's a top merc, and implicitly a survivor. Who lnows.

As for Toro, yep. Bounty hunters can't trust other bounty hunters. Dog eat dog underworld.

Another pleasant surprise was Steve Blum was the voice of the spaceport operator that hails Mando when he first arrives on Tatooine.

Tatooine, what a pleasant surprise in an episode of surprises. heh. Mos Eisley, the cantina, the pit droids, the raiders, bantha, the bikes, the mention of the Hutts and Beggar's Canyon, the sabacc game, and I think a mention of Corellia. Dave Filoni wrote and direct so it shouldn't be a shocker he'd put in so much SW goodness.

Wamp rat? Is that a standard slur on Tatooine?
I'm kinda certain wamp rats are native species on Tatooine and considered a pest. So it should be part of the common vernacular and if someone calls you that...

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Interesting to see theories online that the figure at the end is Boba Fett. And some point out the clink SFX is Boba's from Empire Strikes Back.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
A lot of callbacks to old, old-school Star Wars. I do wonder if there's such as as too much of a good thing. If not for the mystery at the end, it would've seemed like a completely skippable episode with a lot of nostalgic bits. Maybe that's a bad thing, but every once in a while it's great to have a reminder that we're in the same universe as that first movie from 42 years ago. It's nice to come back to the old neighborhood and see how things have changed since the Empire was defeated and Jabba is a goner.

Ming Na... does she have a time machine or something? At first I thought it looked like Ming Na, but then I was thinking no way, because the actress looks too young. Well dang. Good for you, ma'am. I'm not particularly a fan of her work, but I'm still a bit amazed.

I do hope it's NOT Boba Fett. I am 100% not in the camp of Darth Maul's surviving after The Phantom Menace, and I'm probably even more opposed to what might happen in The Rise of Skywalker and Palpatine. I mean, I know the MCU has made like $20 billion dollars worldwide, but it doesn't mean that they're doing that because nobody ever really dies. I had some hesitation about watching The Mandalorian because at first I thought it was going to be a series about the overhyped character from the OT, so I was glad that they focused on another character. And yeah, I know that Boba Fett has this cult following within Star Wars, but if he's still alive then this is going to feel like a soulless, cash-grab rinse-and-repeat move by Disney.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
TheMandalorianLogo.jpeg

Chapter 6 "The Prisoner" – December 13, 2019
The Mandalorian joins a crew of mercenaries on a dangerous mission.

Last edited:

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
You know out of the three side quest episodes this was my favorite, call me an action junkie but watching the Mandalorian dispatch the mercenaries one by one was amazing and reminded me why I enjoy this show.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
^Agreed. I had a good feeling about the episode once that one of Mandalorian vs. the droids came across the screen. :D But yes, like how he trapped them like rats and picked them off. It was a surprise he spared Mayfeld, Xi'an, and Burg but was fine with letting Ran and Qin kick it.

Points for getting in Clancy Brown and also using Filoni, Chow, and Famuyiwa as the X-wing pilots.

My favorite bit was Mayfeld (so that's who Bill Burr played) being introduced as an ex-Imperial sniper and taking offense to being mistaken for an ex-Stormtrooper. Y'know, since the running joke is the troopers have terrible aim. Also loved the child looking at his hand after Mando blasted Zero and the impression of a Gungan.

I guess the only gripe I had was Xi'an was such a tweaker.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I don't know why I didn't even recognize Clancy Brown until I saw his name during the credits. I mean I should have at least recognized his voice. It's hilarious how people always think they can get one over on Mando when they see what he does and know his reputation. I was enjoying the slasher vibe of Mando hunting down the crew. We know that he's a pretty nice guy when you're on his side but it must be scary to be on the other side of that. It always feels good to see Chris Yost's name.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

reflection01

Now I don’t feel so bad that I didn’t recognize Clancy Brown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars: The Mandalorian "Chapter 6: The Prisoner"

Not my cup of tea. This is why Mando works alone.

For one thing the language was saltier than usual. Wiseass? Bastard? Are those Star Wars firsts?

I found the scene where Mayfeld was manhandling The Child interesting, because Mando wants to protect The Child, but also dares not let on how important he is. It was a brief scene but it was interesting.

Is the purple lady and her brother the same species as Hera from Rebels? Aside from being a different color (Hera was green) they act far more animalistic than she does.

At the beginning when the guy asks Mando what that look was for, I was like "What look? He's wearing a helmet."

Not my favorite episode. **1/2.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts