Are there cartoons where you wish you knew more about their productions.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
There are cartoons with interesting troubled histories where every detail has been methodically recorded, but there are certain shows that were messes, but there is precious little firsthand information about why they turned out why they did. Are there shows where you wished more was known about their history? I have a couple, both cartoony cartoons from the 90's

Bonkers: It's the jump-the-shark moment for the Disney Afternoon, and no one likes to talk about it (There is a sprawling Disney afternoon oral history, but it stops at Goof Troop. ) But there has to be a lot of interesting stories about its production. The show itself is a chaotic mishmash of like three different treatments, and the opening is almost dada because of it.

Greg Weisman talked a little bit about the original Miranda episodes, but what else went wrong? Why does Bonkers have two completely different sets of friends who never interact? Why does a Disney cartoon have Mickey Mouse as the focus of a story, but they can't show him or even mention his name?

Twisted Tales of Felix The Cat: Again, the show is an almost incoherent hodgepodge of takes on the concept. Milton Knight (who was a writer on the first season), gave a pretty detailed account of what happened on the first season, but TVTropes has more information on both seasons that isn't sourced and can't be verified. Why does Season 2 morph into a wacky sitcom that takes mean-spirited potshots at the 1960's Felix?

5YearsOnEastCoast

Well I always wanted to know why Ed, Edd & Eddy had such hectic scheduling. Also I wondered why some episodes like "Special Ed" never was made. The creator stated because it was "too real" but I want to know more of its description and what has happened in that episode.
Also I want to know what happened behind scenes from Total Drama or more specifically decisions they made like turning Ezekiel into zombie, cutting down season episodes down to 13 episodes and a LOT of stuff that happened in All-Stars (like "killing 8 contestants, what was a reason for it? Or Mike's cured his MPD with push of a button, why did they come up with something so ridiculous? Or Courtney's random shift in characterization in episode 11, why did it so suddenly happen? Or backstory between Mal and Duncan never really explained? Or Gwen's strange characterization throughout season?).
Another one in my mind is.. what happened in "final" episode of Gumball during production?
And one more, Danny Phantom. What were plans for season 3 when Steve Marrel was working on DP before he was fired , because they were apparently different from the actual season ? And why was he fired?

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I wonder if the dialogue of the international Mickey Mouse shorts by Paul Rudish are written in IPA phonetic script.

Space Goofs: partly made by Americans, partly by Frenchmen. Why? And how did that work exactly?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I don't feel like there are enough detailed histories for my liking about Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures. And there are already a lot.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
For an obvious one, there are so many times where I wish I had the complete production history on Littlest Pet Shop (2012), especially if it means showing people once and for all that it isn't some G4MLP ripoff like everyone most unfortunately (at best) / dumbfoundingly (at worst) (mainly outside of this forum, anyway) dismisses it as.
Mostly because whenever I go to talk about it for any reason anywhere at all, that's the response I usually get from people, besides being told without a proper argument to back it up that Blythe is a terrible character (which I disagree with wholeheartedly!).

There are so many Disney XD shows that aren't just what's popular to talk about like Wander Over Yonder, Amphibia, or Gravity Falls that I would like to learn about (e.g.: Randy Cunningham 9GN, Penn Zero PTH, Future-Worm! all come to mind - learning what makes these shows tick would have been great...)

I definitely need more in-depth about what went into the likes of Welcome to the Wayne and Harvey Beaks, in terms of Nick shows.

I'm also curious about why Gumball stopped production, only to have such a below acceptable ending... Seriously, I thought that show was doing gang-busters in ratings! Enough to keep it going up to Season 10 or something.

Finally, for the moment, I would love to know how Home: Adventures with Tip & Oh turned out so much different from that garbage film said show it's based on - it's clear whomever made this show I'm going on/off about put more love & care into making a fun simple cartoon to get into than anyone ever did on that trashy Dreamworks film, anyway.

Last edited:

Asa

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic: Where there ever plans for a scene in which Celestia discovered Spike's egg? Why couldn't Scorpan make at least one appearance in the final season?

Total Drama: Why couldn't we get further explanation on backstories on Mike, Chris, and others? Why couldn't Chris allow Courtney to win the one million dollars? Why did the show keep on booting off female blonde characters too early? Why did Don allow the angry teams (Stepbrothers and Daters) to last further and eliminate my favorite teams (Geniuses and Fashion Bloggers) that had so much potential? Who came up with the whole "contestants who are eliminated return to the game only to get eliminated again"? Where there any themes that were planned before cancellation? Why didn't the show get an actual sendoff after Ridonculous Race ended?

Fairly OddParents: Where there any ever planned episodes that never made it pass production?

Samuari Jack: Did the series finale originally close with Jack and Ashi living happily ever after?

ToonJay723

Staff member
I'd like to know why CatDog got picked up for 40 episodes right off the bat, when other Nicktoons at the time only got 13 or 20 episodes in their first season.

I'm also curious as to why the first season of ChalkZone reused the Oh Yeah! Cartoons! shorts when they only had 6 episodes to work with.

Last edited:

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
Anything by Soundac, whose legacy appears to have been left largely in disarray.

Fortunately, sites like Internet Archive and American Radio History have helped me shed some light in that area.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
A picture with the crew of Hubert & Takako would be nice. (writers and animators)
Samuari Jack: Did the series finale originally close with Jack and Ashi living happily ever after?
Genndy Tartakovsky said he only came up with a satisfying ending after 2004.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I wonder how Tale Spin got produced. I understand that it was originally going to be a spin off starring Launchpad, but why did they decide to go for the cast of Jungle Book? And only half of the cast at that?
I had heard it was called TaleSpin because it was a spin-off of DuckTales but I didn't know it would involve Launchpad. I was always curious about that.
Genndy Tartakovsky said he only came up with a satisfying ending after 2004.
I loved what he came up with. The Adult Swim season was hit or miss, but the ending was great, at least to me. I love sad endings.

ToonJay723

Staff member
On the topic on Bonkers, I was listening to the What A Cartoon podcast on the episode "You Outta Be in Toons", and they theorize that Corkscrew Studios was suppose to be Disney, Mickey was suppose to renew his contract with Disney and not sign over to another studio, and the executives were suppose to be caricatures of Micheal Eisner and Jeffery Katzenberg, but the executives didn't like that they were being made fun of and ordered changes.

That would explain some weirdness in the episode like why the dog gave Mickey the Corkscrew contract even though Mickey had no intention of leaving Disney, and the podcasters noticed bad lip syncing which was probably due to ADR.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
On the topic on Bonkers, I was listening to the What A Cartoon podcast on the episode "You Outta Be in Toons", and they theorize that Corkscrew Studios was suppose to be Disney, Mickey was suppose to renew his contract with Disney and not sign over to another studio, and the executives were suppose to be caricatures of Micheal Eisner and Jeffery Katzenberg, but the executives didn't like that they were being made fun of and ordered changes.

That would explain some weirdness in the episode like why the dog gave Mickey the Corkscrew contract even though Mickey had no intention of leaving Disney, and the podcasters noticed bad lip syncing which was probably due to ADR.

That's what I was referring to. The WAC guys hypothesize about it, but there isn't a firsthand account of why (and because, as they point out, the director and writer are both dead, there probably never will be).

Someone did a Kickstarter for a book about the history of Disney TVA (up to 1994), but it has been stonewalled by Disney. And the SyFy oral history reduces everything after Goof Troop to a blurb.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
I'd like to know why CatDog got picked up for 40 episodes right off the bat, when other Nicktoons at the time only got 13 or 20 episodes in their first season.

Micah Wright was in development at Nickelodeon around that time and has some really interesting things to say about it. The pilots for Catdog and Spongebob were made near-concurrently, and even though the Nickelodeon Animation staff unanimously loved the latter more, the executives in NY initially ordered 100 episodes of Catdog... and only 6 of SpongeBob.

CatDog was also apparently so undesirable a job Nickelodeon had to coerce people into working on it.

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
I wanna know what the storyboards looked like for Problem Solverz.

Also, kinda interested on what caused for the CG Nicktoons shows to be made in widescreen during 2009-2011 while the 2D Nicktoons at the time were still in fullscreen.

Also really interested in whatever was going on with Rugrats: Pre-School Daze. Like what caused it to only get 4 episodes, or why they decided to drastically change the designs.

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Someone did a Kickstarter for a book about the history of Disney TVA (up to 1994), but it has been stonewalled by Disney. And the SyFy oral history reduces everything after Goof Troop to a blurb.
Oh, that's what happened to that project? I was wondering why we hadn't heard anything for a while. That sucks, there's certainly a lot that could be wrote about.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts