"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 6 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pattern_Maker

Spider-Squad, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Team; another split between the show and it's merchandise. I guess Web-Warriors is to be forgotten like the comic book. :rolleyes2:

So Gwen does have web-wings, they're just hard to see because unlike Peter and Miles she colored them the same as the underarm part of her costume.

Season finale and Miles decides to go all out on Toomes. That last time his electro sting was that powerful was back in the episode he gained his powers.

Frontier

Staff member

thomas2313412

Guys, I have an opinion. Is Marvel's spider-man season 3 which is also known as Maximum Venom is going to be the final season? Because Marvel animation is about to go on a hiatus just to restructure itself to fit with the changes in the upcoming MCU post endgame. Especially that there is going to be a new Spidey cartoon which will air on Disney junior aimed for younger kids and that it is possible that a new fantastic four and X men cartoon will air sometime in Disney+ or Disney channel sometime in 2021 but won't air on Disney Xd because that channel will likely go off the air.

Roxas_Sora

Guys, I have an opinion. Is Marvel's spider-man season 3 which is also known as Maximum Venom is going to be the final season? Because Marvel animation is about to go on a hiatus just to restructure itself to fit with the changes in the upcoming MCU post endgame. Especially that there is going to be a new Spidey cartoon which will air on Disney junior aimed for younger kids and that it is possible that a new fantastic four and X men cartoon will air sometime in Disney+ or Disney channel sometime in 2021 but won't air on Disney Xd because that channel will likely go off the air.

I don't know what Marvel Animation has in mind right now, but yeah, I suppose "Maximum Venom" will be the final season, mainly because of its weird "structure". Instead of the classic season of 26 episodes, it will be 6 specials of 1 hour length. We can assume they will be like 18 episodes in total, combined on 6 arcs of 3 episodes each one.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I think "Maximum Venom" will be more like half of a regular season (12 episodes). I doubt the specials will be exactly an hour long, just twice as long as a normal episode. Kind of like Justice League, where they had 2-part stories for the majority of episodes.

Frontier

Staff member
Yeah, I think it's pretty likely Maximum Venom is it for the series with the limited episode count.
I think "Maximum Venom" will be more like half of a regular season (12 episodes). I doubt the specials will be exactly an hour long, just twice as long as a normal episode. Kind of like Justice League, where they had 2-part stories for the majority of episodes.
I wonder if they'll all feel like two-parters ;)?

thomas2313412

I don't know what Marvel Animation has in mind right now, but yeah, I suppose "Maximum Venom" will be the final season, mainly because of its weird "structure". Instead of the classic season of 26 episodes, it will be 6 specials of 1 hour length. We can assume they will be like 18 episodes in total, combined on 6 arcs of 3 episodes each one.

Yeah, seems likely

Maybe

Yeah, I think it's pretty likely Maximum Venom is it for the series with the limited episode count.

I wonder if they'll all feel like two-parters ;)?

True, maybe, I am not sure.

Roxas_Sora

I don't count on this happening on the current series, but something crossed my mind.

You see, each animated series of Spider-Man, beyond following classic stories like his villains' origins, also adapt stories and elements recently happening in the comics.
+ In the 90s series, we had Peter and MJ's wedding, part of the Clone Saga and the Secret Wars.
+ In "Ultimate Spider-Man", we had Flash Thompson as Agent Venom and Norman Osborn as Iron Patriot. (Not to mention the debut of Anti-Venom).
+ In current "Marvel's Spider-Man", we had Horizon Labs, Spider-Gwen and the damned Superior Spider-Man's arc.

Well, following this, do you think on the next animated series of Spider-Man we will have the animated debut of his younger sister, Teresa Parker? I believe Peter Parker's sister could actually give an interesting new world for our wallcrawler.

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
I posted this on another site's forum but I figured I'd post it here as well. I don't innately dislike the premise of the current show or Ultimate Spider-Man, as I gave them both the benefit of the doubt before heading in. I just think they could both be a lot better than what they are.

I hope the next Spider-Man cartoon isn't a third show in a row where all he hangs out with are superhero-friends, or friends who all become spider-heroes, or enlists in a special government training program, or enrolls in a special science school for geniuses. Well, Spidey and His Amazing Friends is next and that's just a whole show about Peter, Miles, and Gwen trying to superhero together for kids so there's that going three for three. That show's gonna be for little kids so it's fine, but for the next big Spidey cartoon I'd like to see a creative team try harder instead of throwing all the spider-people in a team again because it sells toys.

I get the desire to put new spins on it by having Peter be a SHIELD agent in training leading a team of superheroes, or having him be at a fancy science school where many of his villains and super allies also originate from- but it all just fundamentally goes against one of the basic things about Spider-Man: that he's supposed to be trying to get through normal problems and live a normal life beyond all the superheroics he's responsible to take care of. It's a big part of the character's longstanding resonance, and it should be reflected in the cartoons that are made. Even in Spider-Man Unlimited where it's a show that's as far from Spider-Man as you can get, he still struggles a lot and pretty much lives in the slums.

Spidey could but probably shouldn't quit high school to enlist in a government bootcamp (I think he just dropped out of Midtown High halfway through that show just for SHIELD school), nor should he probably go to a school for gifted youngsters he can hardly afford (I like that this was a plot point in the beginning of the current show's second season at least. Getting a job at the Daily Bugle to try and afford tuition is a Spider-Man problem). He has those normal people in his life and they're important because they're not superheroes or all super geniuses. He tries to balance those normal responsibilities and relationships alongside the extra struggle of being a superhero and that always effects the other half.

Ultimate did not much care for the double-life struggles, or the human relationships. Mary Jane all but disappeared from the show until the final season where she gets superpowers so she can show up regularly again. His other best friend Harry became Venom by the 8th episode, then in the final season he complains Peter never sees him anymore then becomes a costumed hero to get prominence in the show again, before gaining a symbiote again.

It's not bad in the show or anything, but I find it problematic that they can't have relations with regular people on these shows anymore. That's been a theme with Marvel Animation 2012-2019 for the most part. This current show- all of the main cast is a spider-themed hero now at this point. Except for Harry, who, oh wait, he's the heroic Hobgoblin. Is it too much to ask for another Spider-Man show that won't be afraid to just try to be a Spider-Man story instead of being a big Spider-team story?

Spider-Verse and Spider-Man PS4 spoiled me last year. They were great stories that got to the core of what Spider-Man is about while also feeling new yet accessible for a very wide range of people in their own ways. Those are two recent examples of doing a new adaption very right and I'd argue the two recent cartoons are examples of doing it wrong, just feeling like they exist to fill the quota instead of offering anything really new or substantial.

Last edited:

Roxas_Sora

I posted this on another site's forum but I figured I'd post it here as well. I don't innately dislike the premise of the current show or Ultimate Spider-Man, as I gave them both the benefit of the doubt before heading in. I just think they could both be a lot better than what they are.

I hope the next Spider-Man cartoon isn't a third show in a row where all he hangs out with are superhero-friends, or friends who all become spider-heroes, or enlists in a special government training program, or enrolls in a special science school for geniuses. Well, Spidey and His Amazing Friends is next and that's just a whole show about Peter, Miles, and Gwen trying to superhero together for kids so there's that going three for three. That show's gonna be for little kids so it's fine, but for the next big Spidey cartoon I'd like to see a creative team try harder instead of throwing all the spider-people in a team again because it sells toys.

I get the desire to put new spins on it by having Peter be a SHIELD agent in training leading a team of superheroes, or having him be at a fancy science school where many of his villains and super allies also originate from- but it all just fundamentally goes against one of the basic things about Spider-Man: that he's supposed to be trying to get through normal problems and live a normal life beyond all the superheroics he's responsible to take care of. It's a big part of the character's longstanding resonance, and it should be reflected in the cartoons that are made. Even in Spider-Man Unlimited where it's a show that's as far from Spider-Man as you can get, he still struggles a lot and pretty much lives in the slums.

Spidey could but probably shouldn't quit high school to enlist in a government bootcamp (I think he just dropped out of Midtown High halfway through that show just for SHIELD school), nor should he probably go to a school for gifted youngsters he can hardly afford (I like that this was a plot point in the beginning of the current show's second season at least. Getting a job at the Daily Bugle to try and afford tuition is a Spider-Man problem). He has those normal people in his life and they're important because they're not superheroes or all super geniuses. He tries to balance those normal responsibilities and relationships alongside the extra struggle of being a superhero and that always effects the other half.

Ultimate did not much care for the double-life struggles, or the human relationships. Mary Jane all but disappeared from the show until the final season where she gets superpowers so she can show up regularly again. His other best friend Harry became Venom by the 8th episode, then in the final season he complains Peter never sees him anymore then becomes a costumed hero to get prominence in the show again, before gaining a symbiote again.

It's not bad in the show or anything, but I find it problematic that they can't have relations with regular people on these shows anymore. That's been a theme with Marvel Animation 2012-2019 for the most part. This current show- all of the main cast is a spider-themed hero now at this point. Except for Harry, who, oh wait, he's the heroic Hobgoblin. Is it too much to ask for another Spider-Man show that won't be afraid to just try to be a Spider-Man story instead of being a big Spider-team story?

Spider-Verse and Spider-Man PS4 spoiled me last year. They were great stories that got to the core of what Spider-Man is about while also feeling new yet accessible for a very wide range of people in their own ways. Those are two recent examples of doing a new adaption very right and I'd argue the two recent cartoons are examples of doing it wrong, just feeling like they exist to fill the quota instead of offering anything really new or substantial.

As much as I understand your point about Spider-Man's classic role as a loner, I believe they don't want to give children or teens the idea that being alone is a good thing. Kids and teens actually need socialize with others. And it's not that Spider-Man can't socialize with regular people, but being a superhero always affect your close ones.

And Spider-Man is not the only one:
+ Iron Man made armors for several of his friends: James Rhodes (War Machine), Pepper Potts (Rescue) and Happy (Iron Man for a time).
+ Thor's human friends were affected too. The closest case was Jane Foster becoming the female Thor and then Valkyrie. (Honestly, I liked her as Thor better).
+ Hulk's Gamma power also affected his closed ones: Betty Ross into harpy and Red She-Hulk (personally, I liked her much better as just Red She-Hulk), General Ross as Red Hulk, Rick Jones as A-Bomb.... There are quite a list.

Frontier

Staff member
Not confirming anything, but there is a funko pop figure of a Venomized Green Goblin being released in 2020.

There are other Venomized funko pops on this page, some have the same designs as the ones from Maximum Venom, and some are reprints of the comic book ones, like how there is Maximum Venom Symbiote Groot and comics Symbiote Groot.
This show never seemed to get a big merchandising push so I'm surprised they're doing Funko's of them :sweat:.

Roxas_Sora

Pattern_Maker

I know the season synopsis said that Venom would bring an army of symbiotes from his home planet and that's how the heroes become venomized, but I wonder if Venom infects Gwen and Anya himself. That way they figure out Peter is Spider-Man, and Gwen's Venomized form is basically "Gwenom" with a biker jacket and single-spike on her foot.

And with Groot's presence I wonder how much of Guardians of The Galaxy's symbiote plot lines will be referenced. They don't contradict with the show since those episodes Peter was on their show happened after the Venom episode of season 1. Star-Lord even said something about it being weird that Venom was found in Earth's solar system.

Frontier

Staff member
I know the season synopsis said that Venom would bring an army of symbiotes from his home planet and that's how the heroes become venomized, but I wonder if Venom infects Gwen and Anya himself. That way they figure out Peter is Spider-Man, and Gwen's Venomized form is basically "Gwenom" with a biker jacket and single-spike on her foot.
I think they'll probably all get their own individual Symbiote's. Either they get infected and turn feral like the other Earth heroes or some of the good Klyntar come in an fuse with them.

I'm leaning towards Peter's being an Anti-Venom Symbiote.
And with Groot's presence I wonder how much of Guardians of The Galaxy's symbiote plot lines will be referenced. They don't contradict with the show since those episodes Peter was on their show happened after the Venom episode of season 1. Star-Lord even said something about it being weird that Venom was found in Earth's solar system.
I imagine the Guardians showing up will be to connect the two plotlines.

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
I finally watched the Superior arc thanks to the 2nd season being added to Disney + and it impressed me, definitely the strongest stuff the show has produced! Most of the things I'm usually not a fan of weren't present for most of it, namely the spider-team. Was not a fan of most of their interactions in the Day Without Spider-Man episode/ nor was I really a fan of that episode on its own. I do applaud them for making an entire episode pretty much without Peter actually being in it, I know that's something they mentioned early on in the press and the whole arc definitely has some good fresh energy to it like that which makes it feel a bit novel.

Miles' presence and helpfulness was welcomed, he's a good hero in his own right here. Him sniffing out the whole ordeal pretty quickly helped bring the Superior arc to a resolution at the right time instead of going on for a bit too long to be believable like the comic. The Peter/Otto parallels and mutual understanding they both develop for each other was pretty spot on, the juicy kind of stuff I hope and expect to see when tackling a story like this. They certainly got the important messages from the comic story and delivered them in a meaningful way. None of it felt dumbed down, just streamlined for a cartoon.

Overall I think it's the best thing this show has done, I wish the rest of it could hit those highs. Maybe a rewatch of some of the other episodes would elevate my opinions of them. I did also watch the Regent 2 parter and that was pretty good, too! I like this show when it's Spidey doing stuff on his own, or just working with Miles, it doesn't really feel like it was meant to be a team-show like Ultimate did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts