Best and Worst of Cartoon Network/Boomerang in 2019

Asa

With the end of 2019 and the end of this decade coming to a close in a few weeks, what were some of the best decisions and worst decisions that CN and Boomerang did this year?

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
Best:
-Mao Mao, hands down. I am so excited for new episodes to return next year.
-Infinity Train. I wouldn't have minded it being a mini-series, but I am grateful it's returning for a season two next year. Can't wait to see Chrome Tulip return!
-Steven Universe: The Movie. Nothing jaw-dropping, but still a lovely movie. Also, Spinel.
-Steven Universe's "Change Your Mind." Just...wow.
-Steven Universe Future announcement.

Worst:
-The possibility of all shows moving to HBO: Max. This could be a good or bad thing, I guess, but I would hate to see the channel be eventually shut down because of this.
-The Fungies announcement. Nothing about this series seems appealing to me.
-TAWOG finale, only because it ended on that cliffhanger with no signs of a continuation. And no, Darwin's Yearbook later this month doesn't count.

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

I think it's too early to make a thread like this. We still have an entire month left of the year, which includes the premiere of Steven Universe: Future.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
-The possibility of all shows moving to HBO: Max. This could be a good or bad thing, I guess, but I would hate to see the channel be eventually shut down because of this.
I think it will be just some CN-produced shows being made for HBO Max (like Tig n Seek, The Fungies, Adventure Time Distant Lands, and possibly newer episodes of Infinity Train and Summer Camp Island, given the October 29th presentation of Max).

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
BEST:
Mao Mao: Heroes Of Pure Heart.
Apple And Onion finally returned with more episodes.
Good riddance, O.K K.O! (if you do like this show, that’s alright, I just never cared for it).
Ninjago is still going after all these years.
Scooby-Doo And Guess Who!.
Tiggle Winks was picked up for a series.

WORST:
Slight possibility that Tig ‘N Seek and The Fungies will be HBO Max only.
Power Players is boring.
Ninjago getting cut down to 11 minutes.

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
BEST:
- The schedule improves.
- Getting the 8PM Hour (for now).
- OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes One-Hour Series Finale.
- Steven Universe: Battle of Heart and Mind.
- CN Mashup 2.0
- Unikitty! season 2 premiere.
- DC Superhero Girls (2019) One Hour premiere.
- Victor and Valentino premiere.
- Craig of the Creek: The Other Side premiere.
- Victor and Valentino: Welcome to the Underworld premiere.
- Every Steven Ever marathon all leading up to Steven Universe: The Movie Commercial Free Premiere.
- Infinity Train
- Lego Ninjago Masters of Spinjitzu: March of the Oni
- Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?.
- Steven Universe Future announcement.
- Summer Camp Island on July.
- Mao Mao: Heroes of Pure Heart.
- Teen Titans Go! The 6th Titan event.
- The return of Apple & Onion.
- Every Episode Unlocked on the CN App & the Cartoon Network website.
- Ben 10 (2017): Roundabout event.
- Infinity Train: Book 2 Trailer.

Honorable Mentions:
- The Amazing World of Gumball: Darwin's Yearbook.
- Teen Titans GO! That's What's Up Movie (Even though it's not a movie just 4 new episodes).
- Power Players.

WORST:
- Steven Universe Longest Hiatus.
- Teen Titans GO! marathons.
- Not giving a promo for the new episodes of DC Superhero Girls (2019).
- No Mighty Magiswords Final Episodes promo.
- The Amazing World of Gumball Series Finale.

RIP:
Steven Universe Logo 1.png

November 4th, 2013 - January 21st, 2019

Mighty Magiswords Logo 2.png

September 29th, 2016 - May 17th, 2019

The Amazing World of Gumball Logo 2.png

May 3rd, 2011 - June 24th, 2019

OK K.O! Let's Be Heroes Logo 2.png

August 1st, 2017 - September 6th, 2019

ShadowBeast

The Best:
Steven Universe Movie-It had a few flaws(particularly the Diamonds needy personalities), but most of the movie was too fantastic foe any negatives to ruin it. I love Spinal and her story and songs.
Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz-It's a cute series, though the 2nd season isn't as good as the first season. I like the Wilhelmina character.
Infinity Train-Shame that Tulip is only in the first season, but I enjoyed the season non-the-less. I think Atticus will either have a small appearance or non at all in season 2 as well.
Total Dramarama-This is a pretty good show despite what others complain about (the creator wasn't gonna continue the main series whether this show existed or not).
Steven Universe dealing with unresolved plot-holes in it's epilogue series.

The Worse:
The We Bare Bears having too many baby bears episodes. At this point, I'm not even gonna bother with show if it involves the baby bears.
O.K. K.O.- I just couldn't get into the series.
The Gumball finale. Hopefully the creator will eventually reveal what he had planned to happen in the series finale one of thses days.
The Mighty Magicswords' finale. Seriously, it just didn't have any heart to it.
Teen Titans Go-I don't even need to explain this one.
Beth in Total Dramarama-I find her a disgusting and uninteresting character who could've been replaced by a much better character.
Victor and Valentino- The skinny is just a whiny jerk.

Last edited:

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Best:

-CN had some really good new shows this year. Mao Mao was a surprise I didn't see coming, Infinity Train exceeded my expectations, and Lauren Faust's retooled DC Super Hero Girls is a vast improvement over the previous series.

-CN's treatment of Steven Universe: The Movie. They aired every episode in a 3-day marathon, then premiered the movie commercial-free.

-Dropping the 11-minute premiere format. I went into detail about it in this thread and I'm glad that CN (and Adult Swim, by extension) are doubling (and even quadrupling) up their premieres. Eleven minutes per week just isn't cutting it anymore, so I'm glad they offered more.

-OK K.O.'s fantastic finale. This show had a wonderful three seasons and I'm glad Ian Jones-Quartey got to end the show on a high note.

-The PPG reboot is likely over and it ended without any fanfare. Good. Make room for better shows, please.

Worst:

-The schedule regressed. After all the improvements that CN made with their schedule in 2018, they went back to basics in 2019 with the saturation of TTG and bringing back the multi-day marathon.

-Victor & Valentino. Unlike the other highly anticipated pilot that came around the same time a few years ago, this show turned out to be a disappointment. I explained my grievances with the show in the talkback thread if you're interested to see my thoughts.

-Gumball's lackluster finale. This was one of the three shows that defined CN this decade. The other two shows ended on strong notes, and this ended with a cliffhanger. I really hope Bocquelet gets that movie greenlit, because it doesn't seem like "Darwin's Yearbook" would be an appropriate followup.

Last edited:

ToonsJazzLover

+Steven Universe The Movie. The best thing to come out of SU in ages
+OKKO ending on a great note especially since it was abruptly cancelled
+Apple and Onion's return. Always nice seeing this show.
+Bumpers have somewhat improved especially the one you see in the Up Next bumpers.
+That "Best Summer Ever" announcer from last year is now the full-time announcer. And he is worth replacing the previous one since he’s more easy on the ears.
+/- Infinity Train. i get the hype but I'm not the biggest fan of . Just sick of story driven shows trying to win your emotions over
+/- Scheduling is inconsistent but it's not a cluttered mess like it was 2 years ago.
- Gumball in general. From still overplaying it, the unresolved finale, and having a miniseries only to be a clip show. Yep that’s an example of a Zombie Franchise.
-Boomerang back to having a bland lineup. Too good to be true especially when I got the channel back in May after upgrading my cable package (now I don’t have it anymore and the schedule updates aren’t getting any better). I love Looney Tunes and all but I just wanna watch some old CN shows
-Victor and Valentino is so underwhelming I can't get into it. Granted there are a few good episodes but the bad outweighs the good. Make Victor less bratty and I’ll enjoy it more.
-Mistreatment of DC Superhero Girls (and non-TTG WBs shows) . Why is that show being treated weirdly the way they schedule it?

DonTrashRoom

Have a nice trip, see you next fall
I'd say that (IMO) the best of CN's 2019 debuts was Mao Mao: Heroes of Pure Heart. Infinity Train was pretty great, too. Victor and Valentino did nothing for me.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts