Marvel's Spider-Man "Goblin War, Parts 1-4" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this "Spider-Man" Arc!

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

Korra_Fan

I keep waiting for someone to point out how every time Gwen went to bat for Otto it ended badly

And hey, what do you know, that actually happened in this latest episode! :)

But I really, really hope that Gwen and Anya find out that Spider-Man is Peter in the final episode of this arc / season, because there is something inherently uncomfortable about them working alongside Miles, Harry and Ock, and all of them know the truth while they are being needlessly kept in the dark about it. It makes this whole Spidey Team look like some kind of sexist boy's club.

Last edited:

Roxas_Sora

And hey, what do you know, that actually happened in this latest episode! :)

But I really, really hope that Gwen and Anya find out that Spider-Man is Peter in the final episode of this arc / season, because there is something inherently uncomfortable about them working alongside Miles, Harry and Ock, and all of them know the truth while they are being needlessly kept in the dark about it. It makes this whole Spidey Team look like some kind of sexist boy's club.

I thought something similar too. But anyway, considering how his mask has been ripped in the preview, they will surely realize it in the last episode. Also, I believe Max Modell could realize it too.

Frontier

Staff member
Crossbones? Did Hydra finally stop paying him? Kinda amusing to think this might be the last time we see him in a cartoon and he's not even working for Hydra in it :proud:.

"Electro Goblins?" "War Goblins?" "Cyber Goblins?" If they were going to make all these sub Goblin groups, maybe they could've done a better job differentiating their designs :shrug:.

I'm glad they acknowledged Gwen trusting Otto only for that to not end well, but I liked how Peter managed to talk everybody into working together :).

"Goblin" Mech? I'm...not sure what about it makes it Goblin-y? It doesn't really look like one :confused:.

I'm surprised they remembered the motorcycle. At least it got to do one cool thing before they destroyed it :p.

Ghost Spider schooling The Wake Riders was pretty awesome, although I feel like it would've been more satisfying to have it be Peter since he was the one with more of a personal beef against them :ack:.

One of the realistic consequences of Peter teching out his mask so much is it can get fried like a computer. You'd think he could at least still use it as a normal mask though...

I knew Harry would throw Peter keeping his identity a secret in season 1 against him. Setting aside how Harry was so biased and aggressive when it came to Spider-Man that Peter could never feel comfortable telling him. And now his bias against Doc Ock has screwed everyone over :mad:.

So now Anna Maria is getting into the fray, but I really have a similar issue with her playing quarterback in the "Spider's Nest" as I do Otto. I don't really like a civilian with barely any experience in this telling a Superhero how to do their job :sad:.

Otto and Anna Maria. The most romance we've gotten in a Spider-Man cartoon in years :sweat:.

"Spy-D?" What is it with Gwen coming up with codenames through bad jokes? They're not seriously going with that, are they? They've gone two whole seasons without Miles having an actual codename and they give him that :rolleyes:?

I get that Norman ripped off Harry's Goblin gear, but...did he actually do anything with Jackal's cloning tech? I can't think of anything. And why would Toomes build a giant robot? His thing was a flight suit, not a mech suit. Smythe designing it would've made more sense :confused:.

Speaking of The Jackal, this is the second time he's been mentioned...are they ever going to address what happened to him o_O?

I can't believe the Goblin King suit was basically an Iron Man armor. Toomes complains about Osborn ripping people off, but Tony would totally sue him :rolleyes2:.

I'm not sure if I'm down for the climax of this arc being Spider-Man vs. a giant CGI Goblin Mech. Like, we're not going to get an actual proper fight between Spider-Man and the Goblin King? Did they learn nothing from giant monster Doc Ock at the end of USM :(?
When Anya and Gwen find out that Peter is Spider-Man, will they act surprised or will they act like they knew all along despite how crappy they've treated him?
It would not surprise me if the girls act like they knew all along even if they really didn't :elle:.
I thought something similar too. But anyway, considering how his mask has been ripped in the preview, they will surely realize it in the last episode. Also, I believe Max Modell could realize it too.
Modell seems too oblivious to ever figure out Peter's identity.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I get that Norman ripped off Harry's Goblin gear, but...did he actually do anything with Jackal's cloning tech? I can't think of anything. And why would Toomes build a giant robot? His thing was a flight suit, not a mech suit. Smythe designing it would've made more sense :confused:.

Maybe dead Norman was a clone?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Roxas_Sora

Maybe dead Norman was a clone?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Doubtful. The green liquid that ignited in the explosion where Norman disapperared was quite similar to 90's Spider-Man TAS, which turned a HobGoblin's costume into a Green Goblin costume. If something like that happened, then that Norman couldn't be a clone. However, cosidering how similar the Jackal and the Green Goblin tend to look alike, I'm quite sure Norman would use the Jackal's serum to become a REAL Goblin.

Also, I'm quite sure one of the arcs for the next season will be the Clone Saga. The symbiotes can have their role in it, as Anti-Venom's healing abilities can make the clones stable, and a clone with symbiote's DNA could be Spidercide.

Frontier

Staff member
Doubtful. The green liquid that ignited in the explosion where Norman disapperared was quite similar to 90's Spider-Man TAS, which turned a HobGoblin's costume into a Green Goblin costume. If something like that happened, then that Norman couldn't be a clone. However, cosidering how similar the Jackal and the Green Goblin tend to look alike, I'm quite sure Norman would use the Jackal's serum to become a REAL Goblin.

Also, I'm quite sure one of the arcs for the next season will be the Clone Saga. The symbiotes can have their role in it, as Anti-Venom's healing abilities can make the clones stable, and a clone with symbiote's DNA could be Spidercide.
I doubt they could end the series without addressing The Jackal in some form.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Marvel's Spider-Man "Goblin War: Part Three"

That was pretty swell. I love the tension between the characters. While Harry throwing in Peter's face for the billionth time that he didn't tell him he was Spider-Man is not my favorite thing, I like that Gwen is not willing to give Ock a second chance because she already did once. That's a good reminder.

I think Peter needs to reveal the identity to Gwen and Anya. He could explain Ock to Harry one-on-one, I suppose, but I think it would be easier if he revealed the actual reason he trusted Ock to everyone at once. It's because Ock has all of Peter's memories and wants to be a good guy because of them.

The ironic thing is that even if that fact makes Peter personally trust him, outside of Miles, I think that revelation might spark further outrage because both Gwen and Anya had serious problems with Ock when he was Spider-Man, and I don't think they'll quite appreciate that that was the thing that reformed him. As far as they are concerned, that was a Spider-fail. But I like Anna Maria hanging around because she DOES trust Otto, and she is immediately trustworthy. She endears herself to Miles, Anya, and Gwen instantly, and I suspect her opinion will carry weight next week. I think Harry is going to be a harder sell, simply because Harry almost never admits he's wrong, and that's always a last resort. He's very similar to villain Ock in that way, although Ock now admits his mistakes constantly because he sees no shame in them anymore. If Harry ever took that mindset seriously, things would be easier between him and Peter.

Good television. ****1/2.

Frontier

Staff member
That was pretty swell. I love the tension between the characters. While Harry throwing in Peter's face for the billionth time that he didn't tell him he was Spider-Man is not my favorite thing, I like that Gwen is not willing to give Ock a second chance because she already did once. That's a good reminder.
Technically third time if you count that tim she told Peter to give Otto a chance in season 1, which also didn't turn out well :p.
I think Peter needs to reveal the identity to Gwen and Anya. He could explain Ock to Harry one-on-one, I suppose, but I think it would be easier if he revealed the actual reason he trusted Ock to everyone at once. It's because Ock has all of Peter's memories and wants to be a good guy because of them.
I don't think there's as much an impetus for him to tell them now that they're all already working together. At this point it would only be necessary to get them to forgive Peter.

Spider-Man

Like over in Star Wars Resistance, Fone Bone basically nails it and I agree with a lot of what he's saying here. While I found the arc was a little slow and awkward at the start I like how it all came together here. The tension among the group is really interesting as is Doc Ock's new position in the team. I do wish Peter would explain though. Based on what tends to go on in these shows it can't be that hard to believe. I'm surprised at how much this show is kind of leaning into the Team Arrow dynamic here but I'm glad that it actually works. The cliffhanger is a fun old school type ending and I can't wait to see the finale. I still can't believe how great this show actually is.

Another really solid episode. Loved seeing Peter take charge! It was cool seeing some familiar rogues before the finale. Otto and Anna Maria continue to be charmingly awkward (especially Otto). Lot of tension betweeb Harry and Peter mostly in regards to Otto. Curious to see how thst will play out. Looking forward to the finale!

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Catch a new episode of Marvel's Spider-Man, tonight at 9:30PM ET on Disney XD! The Goblin War concludes! Don't miss the epic season finale! The episode will also be available on DisneyNOW before its debut on TV.

yqj5ahh-jpg.188162
Marvel's Spider-Man "Goblin War, Part 4"
Episode Debut - December 1st, 2019

In the Season Two Finale, Spider-Man and his friends must stop the Goblin King before he destroys New York City.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Otto Octavius actually died. That's quite a shocker. At least he died a hero. There's definitely some things to be addressed in the future, but I call this an excellent way to end the season.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Though there is at least the implication that at least Max Modell knows. When Otto gave his speech as he died, he specifically mentions both Uncle Ben and Peter, and Max was within his range when he gave it. Plus, at Otto's grave, Max mentions how he wrote a strongly worded letter to convince him to accept Peter back to Horizon.

Pattern_Maker

This episode hit me in the feelings...

Ock's sacrifice at the end was completely unexpected, and emotional at the same time. That speech he gave to Peter was something I'd never expect to here any version of Ock say to his long time foe. Max Modell, those Horizon students, and even Toomes couldn't believe what Otto did, couldn't believe he just died like that.

The "status quo" induced ending of the recent Superior Spider-Man series definitely makes the animated adaption my favorite version of the story.

I'm glad everyone at the end came to pay their respects to Otto, even Harry. I wonder when Otto made out that grant for Peter. Either way it's great to see that he's going back to Horizon and that he's friends with his Spider-Family again. Even if Gwen and Anya still aren't aware of him being Spider-Man, it's nice that they're all friends again.

Also, the cast lists Miles as Spy-D/Miles Morales. I wonder if the merchandise will change the name from Kid Arachnid to Spy-D, or just refer to him as Miles from now on. I can see the Marvel HQ website changing his profile page like they did with Spider-Gwen to Ghost-Spider.

Last edited:

Dudley

Staff member
Otto died a hero instead living long enough to become a villain AGAIN.
Surprised Gwen and Anya didn’t find out Peter’s identity, but it’s possible Max Modell now knows.
It’ll be interesting to see how things play out in the next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roxas_Sora

This was really sad, but I wouldn't bury Otto yet.

Remember, the Jackal is still on the loose, and he could return in one of the specials of next season with an adaption of "The Clone Saga". So, I wouldn't be surprised if Otto is brought back with a modified clone of Peter, giving us "Superior Spider-Man 2.0".

Pattern_Maker

I didn't even know "Spy-D" was a name.

This episode via the cast list and marvel.com's preview article are the only time he's been officially called Spy-D. Funny thing is that the person who wrote the article forgot to add a link to Miles page. Probably didn't know he and Spy-D are the same person.

Remember, the Jackal is still on the loose, and he could return in one of the specials of next season with an adaption of "The Clone Saga". So, I wouldn't be surprised if Otto is brought back with a modified clone of Peter, giving us "Superior Spider-Man 2.0".

...but there's nothing left of Otto to put his mind in the body of a clone. That was basically the whole point him using the neuro-cortex instead of Peter. I could see Ultimate Spider-Man doing something like that, but it looks like everyone who dies on this show stays dead for good.

And was it confirmed that each episode of Maximum Venom would be a different story? I thought each of them were about Venom bringing a symbiote army to Earth.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/

Featured Posts