Marvel's Spider-Man "Goblin War, Parts 1-4" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this "Spider-Man" Arc!

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

Comicman2014

I have a theory Max knows Peter is Spider-man through Venom and the REAL reason he wants Peter away from Horizon High is because he doesn't want him to attract any more super villains to his school.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Marvel's Spider-Man "Goblin War: Part Two"

Big stuff happening.

I no longer think Harry is dirty but I was right he was hiding something and involved in some way. He just isn't complicit or in on it.

The problem with the generic designs is that when Tooms lifted the Goblin face plate I was like "I have no idea who this is." He face is practically identical with everyone else so they had to say it was Tooms before I recognized it was Tooms.

That was the bad animation but I think the choreography of the action scenes was pretty tight.

We have gotten enough solo scenes with Ock for me to decide that his reformation IS genuine, at least in this incarnation, and he won't go back to being a villain in season 3.

The Spider Girls' victory handshake is lame, but they ARE teenagers, and teenagers are lame in general.

Good stuff. ****.

Roxas_Sora

Adrien Toomes as the Goblin King was... Deceptional, actually. However, I don't throw the towel yet. I'm quite sure Norman is still around here, moving the real strings. Just like he used Smythe and Octavius to cover his traces, I bet he did the same with Toomes.

Korra_Fan

I loved Toomes being the Goblin King. It actually gave some significant purpose to that lame episode from earlier in the season. The second half of this season in general has made the first half retroactively better.

We have gotten enough solo scenes with Ock for me to decide that his reformation IS genuine, at least in this incarnation, and he won't go back to being a villain in season 3.

Yeah, it would take something drastic like something happening to his new girlfriend (forgetting her name) for this Ock to turn back to villainy, since at this point he's clearly committed to following Uncle Ben's example and he shares a legit mutual bond with Peter.

Frontier

Staff member
Joe Quesada could recognize Doc Ock in his own cafe? Why does nobody else react to a major Supervillain just sitting down drinking coffee? How is this not more of a big deal o_O?

The girls are so mis-informed about everything that it's kind of hilarious. Anya thinks Peter handles things with more finesse athen just swinging around looking for trouble and both girls assume Peter built the Spider-Bots and Ock just stole them :p.

I found it amusing that the girls are so immediate to distrust Doc Ock when Gwen is the one who was always pushing to give him a chance even when it backfired spectacularly. I guess fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me :rolleyes2:.

Gwen should tone down the elitist attitude. It's not a good look for her :mad:.

Y'know, if Harry is going to go around wearing that Hobgoblin suit, he might want to tone down the menacing nature of it's face :evil:.

Harry has now lost any chance to ever hold Peter not telling Harry he was Spider-Man way back in season 1 with all his secrets that came to the forefront here. Like lying about leaving New York, lying about what he's been doing, and then just building a random mech robot. Seriously though, that mech suit is kind of random for a Spider-Man cartoon :shrug:.

Does anyone else notice this show talks about Spider-Man being a sidekick a lot? Either someone calling him that or referring to him in that context. It just kind of stood out to me considering how this show usually treats him in relation to other heroes or his own supporting cast :sweat:.

I'm not too crazy about the Goblin King's design. Too metallic for my liking, and lacking the personality and pinache that I associate with the Green Goblin. Plus, that torso was really huge :rolleyes:.

Toomes...really? I mean, I guess I can appreciate the novelty of going with someone other then Osborn for the main Goblin baddie, but I'm not sure if Toomes was a valid alternative. I mean, he's never been one of the show's more popular or memorable villain, in-universe or out, and he doesn't really endear the kind of emotional relevance that Norman would have. Toomes talks about how Osborn could never have pulled it off but I'm not sure I buy that Toomes could have either. On-top of that...all this is pretty off-brand for The Vulture when you think about it :ack:.

I guess if I'm looking for some positives...I guess it feels kind of full-circle to have Toomes be the main baddie when he was the first villain Peter ever fought on the show, and Alastair Duncan has a very compelling villain voice, even if at times it feels like the show struggles justifying his status as a "main cast member." It is kind of weird to think that we'll only ever get to hear Josh Keaton's Green Goblin in a Lego special :(.

For the big reveal that it wasn't actually Norman, it still feels noticeable that they had two characters mention how ambigouous his "death" was...

Hey! Spider-Man just broke free from a graveyard and they didn't even need adapt Kraven's Last Hunt ;).

I thought those shock gauntlets were tech repurposed from Shocker (RIP Cameron Boyce) tech, but I wasn't expecting Electro :eek:.
I loved Toomes being the Goblin King. It actually gave some significant purpose to that lame episode from earlier in the season. The second half of this season in general has made the first half retroactively better.
Did it though? It really only justified the Wake Riders. Like, what was even the point of giving Toomes that upgraded Vulture suit if he never ends up doing anything with it :confused:?
Yeah, it would take something drastic like something happening to his new girlfriend (forgetting her name) for this Ock to turn back to villainy, since at this point he's clearly committed to following Uncle Ben's example and he shares a legit mutual bond with Peter.
I think we're going to get a heroic sacrifice out of Ock to cement his heroic turn while also taking him off the playing field.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Hey, it took some time, but we FINALLY found out about what Norman left behind for Harry, and it's....a mech suit? That's kind of underwhelming. At least it wasn't forgotten about.

I wonder, between the of showrunners between seasons, if that was always meant to be the mech or something else.

I thought those shock gauntlets were tech repurposed from Shocker (RIP Cameron Boyce) tech, but I wasn't expecting Electro :eek:.

Speaking of him, wasn't there a press release that mentioned Cameron Boyce as one of the voice actors for season two, alongside Teala Dunn (Panda Mania), Ryan Blaney (Overdrive), and Sofia Carson (Sandgirl)? I assumed he recorded something before his death, but I don't think there's space left in the season for Herman Schultz to return.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Gwen and Anya really didn't look great here. Not that they aren't capable, but geez, they didn't come across as being on the right side when they were destroying Ock's spider-bots.

I kinda like the idea that Harry has been trolling Peter the whole time, and never even left New York. He was a bit naive when it came to the possibility of some villain stealing his tech, though.

The Vulture twist was interesting. I guess we'll see where the show takes it from here.

Frontier

Staff member
Hey, it took some time, but we FINALLY found out about what Norman left behind for Harry, and it's....a mech suit? That's kind of underwhelming. At least it wasn't forgotten about.
Yeah, I'm not too thrilled about it either. It's pretty off-brand for both Norman and Toomes. Would've made more sense if Smythe had designed it :confused:.
I wonder, between the of showrunners between seasons, if that was always meant to be the mech or something else.
I have always wondered about the carryover from Shinick to Wyatt and Burke as far as showrunning the show and if anything was changed as a result.

It seems like adapting Superior was always in the cards, so maybe the show had a rough outline of everything they needed to get done in the first two seasons, but I'm curious if other story details were changed over time.
Speaking of him, wasn't there a press release that mentioned Cameron Boyce as one of the voice actors for season two, alongside Teala Dunn (Panda Mania), Ryan Blaney (Overdrive), and Sofia Carson (Sandgirl)? I assumed he recorded something before his death, but I don't think there's space left in the season for Herman Schultz to return.
I don't remember Boyce being in that press release, but it could be his death effected whatever plan they had for his character :ack:.
Gwen and Anya really didn't look great here. Not that they aren't capable, but geez, they didn't come across as being on the right side when they were destroying Ock's spider-bots.
I guess it does go against the stereotype that girls are the ones who listen and act patiently when we have Gwen being so gung-ho and dragging Anya with her :p.

Comicman2014

Toomes...really? I mean, I guess I can appreciate the novelty of going with someone other then Osborn for the main Goblin baddie, but I'm not sure if Toomes was a valid alternative. I mean, he's never been one of the show's more popular or memorable villain, in-universe or out, and he doesn't really endear the kind of emotional relevance that Norman would have. Toomes talks about how Osborn could never have pulled it off but I'm not sure I buy that Toomes could have either. On-top of that...all this is pretty off-brand for The Vulture when you think about it :ack:.

You would think Adrian Toomes's army would be bird-themed. Why would he call his army Goblin Nation? To keep a low profile?! But he said he wants to be respected, which means he wants people to know it's him in the suit.

Frontier

Staff member
You would think Adrian Toomes's army would be bird-themed. Why would he call his army Goblin Nation? To keep a low profile?! But he said he wants to be respected, which means he wants people to know it's him in the suit.
Yeah...I'm not quite sure why he went with a Goblin-theme either. The Goblin wasn't that significant in-universe, and even as a "stick it" to Osborn, Harry's the one who created it :confused:.

Frontier

Staff member
Feels weird how much they've been saving doing the actual Green Goblin. They have 2 episodes left. Then it's Venom specials.
And they haven't even done an actual Green Goblin. Even setting aside the lack of Osborn, they're not even using the name...

It is kind of hilarious to think that Josh Keaton only got to play the Green Goblin in a Lego special. Like, what was even the point of casting him if he never got to do that in the actual show :p?

Another solid episode! A lot was revealed. I'm glad they addressed the cliffhanger from last season. Otto is having a tough time convincing people he's reformed. Then again considering what happened the last time he claimed to reform I can understand Anya and Gwen's doubts. Vulture being Goblin King is definitely not what I expected but I'll see how it plays out. I'm curious as to how Electro escaped the supposedly inescapable Cellar. Perhaps the warden that replaced Roman is a member of the Goblin Nation and let her out for the Goblin King. Curious where Harry ran off to at the end. Looking forward to the next episode!

Frontier

Staff member
Another solid episode! A lot was revealed. I'm glad they addressed the cliffhanger from last season. Otto is having a tough time convincing people he's reformed. Then again considering what happened the last time he claimed to reform I can understand Anya and Gwen's doubts. Vulture being Goblin King is definitely not what I expected but I'll see how it plays out. I'm curious as to how Electro escaped the supposedly inescapable Cellar. Perhaps the warden that replaced Roman is a member of the Goblin Nation and let her out for the Goblin King. Curious where Harry ran off to at the end. Looking forward to the next episode!
I keep waiting for someone to point out how every time Gwen went to bat for Otto it ended badly :p.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Catch a new episode of Marvel's Spider-Man, tonight at 9:30PM ET on Disney XD! The Goblin War continues! The episode will also be available on DisneyNOW before its debut on TV.

yqj5ahh-jpg.188162
Marvel's Spider-Man "Goblin War, Part 3"
Episode Debut - November 24th, 2019

In order for Spider-Man to defeat the Goblin King, he must first bring together Doc Ock, Spider-Girl, Ghost-Spider, Miles Morales and Harry Osborn.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Angry Harry is just as annoying as ever. This was an episode that did not take a single breather and that's okay with me.
I think I'll keep calling Miles Spider-Man until somebody comes up with an actual good name for him. I guess Norman on this show really doesn't have much original thoughts. It was kind of funny when Silvermane ripped off Harry's mask saying that he didn't deserve to be a goblin. Wasn't he the first in the first place? I'm almost surprised that the girls didn't come out of the sewer smelling like roses, as usual. What is it that makes Spider-Man unique on the show? Is it that he has the best personality or that, when it comes down to it, his ideas usually win in the end?

When Anya and Gwen find out that Peter is Spider-Man, will they act surprised or will they act like they knew all along despite how crappy they've treated him?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comicman2014

Great episode. This might sound absurd, but is it possible that Toomes is Norman Osborn in a rubber mask? He could be impersonating Toomes to throw people off. I could be wrong, and that really is Adrian Toomes flying around New York.

Pattern_Maker

I'm liking how the main theme of these last four episodes have been about trusting each other and keeping secrets.

It was funny how Gwen and Anya were suspicious when Miles whispered to Peter about, "Superior Spider-Man."

Did anyone else think that the music playing during scenes featuring a Goblin was similar to Green Goblin's boss theme from the Playstation 2 Spider-Man (2002) movie game? Now that I think about that Oscorp Mech looks similar to the one from the game as well.

Roxas_Sora

Great episode. This might sound absurd, but is it possible that Toomes is Norman Osborn in a rubber mask? He could be impersonating Toomes to throw people off. I could be wrong, and that really is Adrian Toomes flying around New York.

Actually, now that you mentioned it; no, it's not at all absurd. In fact, this reminds me of a comic I read years ago about "Untold Tales of Spider-Man" or something like that.

You see, in the comics, when the Green Goblin allied himself with the Crimemaster for the first time, he demanded to know who the Green Goblin was, because the Goblin knew the Crime Master's identity. So, in order to make their alliance official and equal, the Green Goblin removed his mask to the Crime Master revealing to be... J Jonah Jameson?!!! After the Crime Master left, we discovered it was actually Norman Osborn using a J Jonah Jameson's mask to keep his advantage over the Crime Master.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts