"Sony's Spider-Man Universe" Movie News & Discussion (Spoilers), Part 2

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I expected Disney to wait. Good to know Feige was working behind the scenes. Weren't both executives total liars about this?

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Sony and/or Disney finally saw sense, thank goodness.

As for the Madame Web movie, not my first choice, but could be interesting if they used it as the stepping stone to a multiverse movie type thing.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I really don't see any reason why Watts wouldn't come back now with Disney/Sony finalized especially considering the ending he gave this movie. Watts said "oh I have no idea where to go next" but yeah you don't get to just pull that kind of ending and walk away from it so curious to see where he's going with that since really doubt they would go with anyone else. I mean even the people who had a problem with his direction in Homecoming were sold with Far From Home which made over a billion dollars so yeah they're gunning for Watts and sure we'll see an arrangement for that coming soon.

As for Madame Web I don't really see her ever having her own movie. Like I could see her being featured in a movie, maybe a Spider verse sequel as she would be someone who could ground all the various alternate realities together so they wouldn't be having those issues existing outside of their own reality. But how would justify giving that particular character their own specific solo narrative? She'd be someone who could connect various what if realities like say Uatu the Watcher will in the Disney+ What If series but wouldn't even do that for a movie... hmmm actually if Sony wanted to get really experimental what they would do is pull like a Heavy Metal and have a Spider Verse entry that's just various short stories of varying different animated techniques and justify tying it all together by having Madame Web narrate parts of it like it's one big giant story with maybe one little tie going through each. Now that would be interesting but I don't think Sony is going to do that even though yeah now I kind of want them to totally do that.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Since we are talking about Sony's Marvel movies and their relationship to Disney it should be pointed out that a lot of people for whatever reason seem to think this new deal that Disney has set up suggests they are trying to set up an "end point" for Spider-Man wrapping up sooner rather then later in their universe. And that after this third movie and the other MCU movie Tom Holland is, they're just going to let Sony make Spider-Man films totally without them and just wash their hands of the character being in their universe.

... Yeah the people who think that totally don't get the game that Disney is playing at how much they are winning and how this deal will only capitalize on that fact further.

In case it hasn't been spelled out whatever gamble Sony tried making with the Spider-Man rights and just keeping him to themselves BACKFIRED. When the break up was announced notice how about 90% at least of fans and general onlookers backed up Disney marvel and NOT Sony. They associated Spider-Man with the MCU now and wanted that particular take on the character there and not to move on to just making straight up spider man movies at Sony again. Even the claims that were made of Marvel making the whole co investment for co profits of the films still looked sour on their part when it was revealed that was just a suggested offer they instantly turned down from and didn't propose any sort of counter offer. See Sony made the bad move of allowing themselves to be painted in a negative light. And the talk of Holland and various other actors from the MCU and even other people in the industry wanting Tom Holland's movies at Disney Marvel without Marvel or Disney directly pushing the issue just made Sony look worse. And as shown with the whole James Gunn situation from last year, Disney Marvel learned that trying to seemingly appease the more aggressive and negative faction and just allow the fans to voice their disappointment and rage will allow them to slink in and get what they want while remaining the most appeasing figure not just to the fans but to the fellow studio heads and executives in the entertainment industry. The people who will seemingly agree with something against their plans with others not realizing part of those plans now are this act while wrangling to get exactly what they want. Sony's last ploy was to try and spin the conversation to make them look good and paint head producer Kevin Feige as too busy and that they needed to focus squarely on the character's future trying to point out "with Fantastic Four and X-Men Feige has to focus on that and not us", but that was INSANTLY swatted the very second the whole "Feige is producing a Star Wars movie" was reported indicating that yeah the Marvel producer isn't slowing down and can handle as many projects as possible without people worrying about him being spread too thin. Which is why literally the next day they announced the deal of working together again and notice how this new deal resulted in instead of keeping the same agreement Sony and Disney used to have with the character, that now it's a split more favorable to Marvel about getting 25% of the profits instead of a mere 5% of the first weekend gross or something of that nature.

And now that it's been made clear that people want Spider-Man to stay with the MCU that gives Disney instant leverage whenever they meet with Sony about the rights of making more movies with the character. As Sony needs Spider-Man they're most profitable and important franchise right now and can't risk their movies or build with him being lessened any. And thus by blinking like that they give Disney that opportunity to further and further take percentages off all in the name of keeping Spider-Man in the MCU to further bolster the sales and general interest of the character. Especially if Sony gets the benefit of now having their world connect more with Marvel's thus drawing more eyeballs to it. Really so long as this is the state of the rights expect Disney to keep gradually pushing for more and more as yeah unlike say iron Man or Captain America which they fully own and thus if they reach a stopping point with the character they can just stop and no one will do anything else, Sony HAS to keep making Spider-Man movies to keep the rights to the character. Thus Marvel is always going to want a taste of those products especially with an actor everyone loves who keeps wanting to make these movies longer then a Robert Downy Jr or Chris Evans would. Thus I don't really see this whole new deal signifying they are wrapping up Spider Man more that they are wrapping themselves further into getting something from Sony Studios with this and they will keep wrapping and wrapping as much as they can possibly get away with so long as these movies keep getting made.

Last edited:

TargetmasterJoe

Since we are talking about Sony's Marvel movies and their relationship to Disney it should be pointed out that a lot of people for whatever reason seem to think this new deal that Disney has set up suggests they are trying to set up an "end point" for Spider-Man wrapping up sooner rather then later in their universe. And that after this third movie and the other MCU movie Tom Holland is, they're just going to let Sony make Spider-Man films totally without them and just wash their hands of the character being in their universe.

... Yeah the people who think that totally don't get the game that Disney is playing at how much they are winning and how this deal will only capitalize on that fact further.

In case it hasn't been spelled out whatever gamble Sony tried making with the Spider-Man rights and just keeping him to themselves BACKFIRED. When the break out was announced notice how about 90% at least of fans and general onlookers backed up Disney marvel and NOT Sony. They associated Spider-Man with the MCU now and wanted that particular take on the character there and not to move on to just making straight up spider man movies at Sony again. Even the claims that were made of Marvel making the whole co investment for co profits of the films still looked sour on their part when it was revealed that was just a suggested offer they immeidatley backed away from and didn't renegiotate. See Sony made the bad move of allowing themselves to be painted in a negative light. And the talk of Holland and various other actors from the MCU and even other people in the industry wanting Tom Holland's movies at Disney Marvel without Marvel or Disney directly pushing the issue just made Sony look worse. Sony's last ploy was to try and paint head producer Kevin Feige as too busy and that they needed to focus squarely on the character's future trying to point out "with Fantastic Four and X-Men Feige has to focus on that and not us" but that was instantly swatted the very second the whole "Feige is making a Star Wars movie" was reported indicating that yeah the Marvel producer isn't slowing down and can handle as many projects as possible without people worrying about him being spread too thin. Which is why literally the next day they announced the deal of working together again and notice how this negiotation resulted in instead of keeping the same deal Sony and Disney used to have with the character that now it's a split more favorable to Marvel about getting 25% of the profits instead of a mere 5% of the first weekend gross or something of that nature.

And now that it's been made clear that people want Spider-Man to stay with the MCU that gives Disney instant leverage whenever they meet with Sony about the rights of making more movies with the character. As Sony needs Spider-Man they're most profitable and important franchise right now and can't risk their movies or build with him being lessened any. And thus by blinking like that they give Disney that opportunity to further and further take percentages off all in the name of keeping Spider-Man in the MCU to further bolster the sales and general interest of the character. Especially if Sony gets the benefit of now having their world connect more with Marvel's thus drawing more eyeballs to it. Really so long as this is the state of the rights expect Disney to keep gradually pushing for more and more as yeah unlike say iron Man or Captain America which they fully own and thus if they reach a stopping point with the character they can just stop and no one will do anything else, Sony HAS to keep making Spider-Man movies to keep the rights to the character. Thus Marvel is always going to want a taste of those products especially with an actor everyone loves who keeps wanting to make these movies longer then a Robert Downy Jr or Chris Evans would. Thus I don't really see this whole new deal signifying they are wrapping up Spider Man more that they are wrapping themselves further into getting something from Sony Studios with this and they will keep wrapping and wrapping as much as they can possibly get away with so long as these movies keep getting made.

Right, I remember reading the deal being for one Spider movie and one MCU movie was only so they could keep Jon Watts to direct the third Spider-movie. Rest assured (hopefully), Sony wouldn’t dare pull the same exact stunt 2 years from now.

Hey, if it means Kevin Feige can potentially give his magic touch to stuff like Venom 2, I won't complain.

reflection01

People were mad at Sony because they weren’t willing to split profits on films they essentially aren’t making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

the greenman

Yeah, honestly I hope they keep him in this role for at least ten years. My problem is just how long will they maintain the version we have? Cause it's Spider-Man-esque imho. I feel like this Spider-Man is going to be rushed into adult hood. When they could keep him as a young adult threw college.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

reflection01

You could also say he had a lot of power in this situation so it came with a lot of responsibility to do something about it. Something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts