Is Nick/Viacom Done With TMNT?

RDG

Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive
It's been 10 years since Nickelodeon/Viacom acquired the majority of the TMNT franchise, but it seems that the network/company has grown tired of it. Sure, the acquisition has given us a critically acclaimed IDW version of TMNT, as well as the franchise's first CGI TV show, which lasted for 5 seasons (not many other CGI shows last that long, with a few exceptions); although it ended with many unanswered questions, and it took Nick almost 2 years to get through S4, and most of the 5th and final season (Tales of) aired exclusively on Nicktoons (which is seen as a dumping ground for shows Nick doesn't want to air anymore/at all, just so they can air MORE SpongeBob/Loud House/Casagrandes/PAW Patrol/whatever they truly want to milk next.), and the movies produced by Paramount, as well as the more recent video games haven't been exactly well-received. As for the current TMNT show (Rise of), the rest of season 1, as well as all of S2, the latter of which started airing a couple of weeks ago (though S1 isn't finished just yet), is now exclusive to Nicktoons, complete with a Saturday night death-slot, when so many kids would already be asleep. Are the ratings really that bad? Is the show not as well-received as Nick hoped? Do YOU think Nick/Viacom is done with TMNT and should sell it to another company to prevent any further damage?

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
I did not realize that Nickelodeon bought the rights to TMNT, but I'm also still having a hard time believing that 2009 was ten years ago.

Anyway, I don't know if the ratings for the series are bad. They'd probably care more about the sales for the toys, movies and any other merchandise more so than the ratings. I wouldn't be too shocked if Rise of the TMNT wasn't that well received though. Not only because it is a more comedy driven take on the series, but there was just little to no breathing room between it and the 2012 series. I think that they announced a new series shortly before or after the 2012 series ended. At least there was a bit of a break between the 2k3 and 2012 series by comparison. They would want to make more toys and a new series would help with that, so I can see why Nickelodeon jumped right into a new series. I just think it probably made fans less excited for Rise of the TMNT than if there was a bit of a break between the two series.

As for whether or not they should sell it to another company, I think that would depend on whether or not the Nickelodeon/Viacom deal has actively hurt the brand. From what I can tell, I don't think it has. Even with the poor treatment of the two series in mind, Nickelodeon did help to create two new series, made efforts to appeal to both new and long time fans with the 80's TMNT cast/characters, led to more merchandise based around the series and resulted in two new live action movies. Admittedly, the live action movies don't sound particularly good and I don't want to watch them due to not caring for Michael Bay or the turtles' designs, but I'm not really sure how much, if any, of this deal actively hurt the TMNT franchise. Since Nickelodeon probably gets a good portion of the merchandise sales, I don't know if they'd want to get rid of TMNT even if they are tired of it.

RDG

I did not realize that Nickelodeon bought the rights to TMNT, but I'm also still having a hard time believing that 2009 was ten years ago.

Anyway, I don't know if the ratings for the series are bad. They'd probably care more about the sales for the toys, movies and any other merchandise more so than the ratings. I wouldn't be too shocked if Rise of the TMNT wasn't that well received though. Not only because it is a more comedy driven take on the series, but there was just little to no breathing room between it and the 2012 series. I think that they announced a new series shortly before or after the 2012 series ended. At least there was a bit of a break between the 2k3 and 2012 series by comparison. They would want to make more toys and a new series would help with that, so I can see why Nickelodeon jumped right into a new series. I just think it probably made fans less excited for Rise of the TMNT than if there was a bit of a break between the two series.

As for whether or not they should sell it to another company, I think that would depend on whether or not the Nickelodeon/Viacom deal has actively hurt the brand. From what I can tell, I don't think it has. Even with the poor treatment of the two series in mind, Nickelodeon did help to create two new series, made efforts to appeal to both new and long time fans with the 80's TMNT cast/characters, led to more merchandise based around the series and resulted in two new live action movies. Admittedly, the live action movies don't sound particularly good and I don't want to watch them due to not caring for Michael Bay or the turtles' designs, but I'm not really sure how much, if any, of this deal actively hurt the TMNT franchise. Since Nickelodeon probably gets a good portion of the merchandise sales, I don't know if they'd want to get rid of TMNT even if they are tired of it.

Yeah, I forgot to take into account the toy sales, especially that of the Rise series. The move to Nicktoons would be justified if the toys really did tank.

Dudley

Staff member
I don’t think Viacom will give up the franchise. they’ll probably just wait a little longer before rebooting it. And next time, they’ll do a more faithful adaptation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
And next time, they’ll do a more faithful adaptation.

It's likely not happening. 4Kids has (surprisingly) made the most faithful adaptation of the Turtles so far. What can Nick possibly add to that version?
TMNT is a rather flexible franchise. Anyone who adapts them can be successful, even if they stray away from the source material.

Moe

It's been 10 years since Nickelodeon/Viacom acquired the majority of the TMNT franchise, but it seems that the network/company has grown tired of it. Sure, the acquisition has given us a critically acclaimed IDW version of TMNT, as well as the franchise's first CGI TV show, which lasted for 5 seasons (not many other CGI shows last that long, with a few exceptions); although it ended with many unanswered questions, and it took Nick almost 2 years to get through S4, and most of the 5th and final season (Tales of) aired exclusively on Nicktoons (which is seen as a dumping ground for shows Nick doesn't want to air anymore/at all, just so they can air MORE SpongeBob/Loud House/Casagrandes/PAW Patrol/whatever they truly want to milk next.), and the movies produced by Paramount, as well as the more recent video games haven't been exactly well-received. As for the current TMNT show (Rise of), the rest of season 1, as well as all of S2, the latter of which started airing a couple of weeks ago (though S1 isn't finished just yet), is now exclusive to Nicktoons. Are the ratings really that bad? Is the show not as well-received as Nick hoped? Do YOU think Nick/Viacom is done with TMNT and should sell it to another company to prevent any further damage?

As lifelong TMNT diehard fan since 1990, I have same feeling about Nickelodeon's treatment of TMNT and it make me more appreciate if Nickelodeon sell TMNT rights to Warner Bros or Disney, so they are likely to put on streaming service, so Viacom isn't doing good with streaming service, unlike Disney+ and future HBO Max or Boomerang/DC Universe.

I do miss USA Cartoon Express that where they reran of 1987 version of TMNT.

I don't believe that Nickelodeon owns 1987 version.

The Overlord

There was a simple problem with this show is it came too soon after the last one. There was a big gap between the end of the 1987 cartoon and the start of the 2003 one (7 years) and somewhat of a gap from the end of the 2003 cartoon to the start of 2012 one (3 years). The gap between this show and the last one is 6 months. A wider gap lets a property not become stale and overexposed, people will miss this property if it is not on for a couple of years and a new generation of kids may appreciate more if it is not on all the time.

Though I do think Viacom is the weakest media company out there, both Disney and Warner Brothers seem to have a more cohesive online plan then Viacom does. I would rather Viacom sell this show to Netflix or put it on CBS All Acess, rather than letting it wither on the vine at Nicktoons.

RDG

I'm pretty sure that they own the whole TMNT franchise, so that would include the 80's TMNT series.

Nick only owned the characters from that show, but didn't own the actual show itself; CBS did. Who knows if Viacom will now own the actual series itself now that Viacom has re-merged with CBS. I should've also pointed out that the Saturday 10:30p deathslot for Rise premieres on Nicktoons could be another indication that Nick is done with TMNT

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
The Nickelodeon network is probably just a poor venue. Most of Nick's shows struggle to justify their existence when they can just rerun a Spongebob episode for virtually free money.

Nickelodeon the studio has an ongoing deal with Netflix; The Rocko and Zim movies ended up there, and they're doing a live-action Avatar there. that would probably be the best home for the next TMNT thing.

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
A new TMNT show needed to be put out as soon as possible to avoid losing precious shelf space to another property. With fewer toy retailers available, the big name brands jealousy guard what they have. The downside is the property growing stale as others have said.

Nickelodeon the studio has an ongoing deal with Netflix; The Rocko and Zim movies ended up there, and they're doing a live-action Avatar there. that would probably be the best home for the next TMNT thing.

The Rise of the TMNT movie is already going there, too.

Moe

I'm pretty sure that they own the whole TMNT franchise, so that would include the 80's TMNT series.

No, Wolf Films owns TMNT '87 and as for DVD releases, it is Lionsgate. I found out that Viacom did for digital releases like iTunes.

Above is correct about CBS with broadcast rights.

Nickelodeon indeed own TMNT '03 after bought from Mirage/4Kids TV and they made own for TMNT '12 too.

If you believe that Nickelodeon owns '87 so it would be official Nickelodeon brand on DVD releases when they get re-brand and re-releases.

It is weird to see some shows get different rights, so I just want all episodes of TMNT '03 and Garfield (1988-1994) to be released on DVD as complete season, however I heard that they have a hard time to secure the rights and licenses.

Moe

The Nickelodeon network is probably just a poor venue. Most of Nick's shows struggle to justify their existence when they can just rerun a Spongebob episode for virtually free money.

I had awesome 90s childhood memories and I do remember about how great was Nick shows, especially child game shows and animated shows, but it went downhill after mid 2000s. I got very tired with heavy rerun and long marathon for SpongeBob, so that why I dropped the cable and went to Philo, so I cancelled it, so I'm more of streaming/DVD/BD guy with Hulu Live TV for local news and sports, even this include Boomerang as well and they have better schedule than Nick and CN.

Honest with y'all, I found TMNT '12 to be good shows, so it is only one of latest Nick show that I like. Rise of the TMNT, Fairly OddParents and Loud House are OK.

As for Nick Jr, my favorite show was Pinwheel so y'all can call me as old fashioned guy, j/k and I did like Blue Clues with smiley faces.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
Unpopular Opinion: I think TMNT is out of place on Nickelodeon, I still refuse to consider it a Nicktoon, I think it fits in better with Marvel or Hasbro. Besides I still miss 4Kids TMNT, I thought it was the best in the whole franchise. I didn’t watch much of it growing up but I wish I did.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
it make me more appreciate if Nickelodeon sell TMNT rights to Warner Bros or Disney
I think TMNT is out of place on Nickelodeon, I still refuse to consider it a Nicktoon, I think it fits in better with Marvel or Hasbro
lol why not just kill the franchise outright.
Those alternatives would churn out even worse than either the 2012 or Rise series,
and the 2012 series was my lowest point for modern TMNT media.
TMNT is just fine for Nickelodeon's bombastic gimmick even if not much green splatter these days.
They already have a Rise of the TMNT movie in the works? It seems a bit early for something like that when I think that the series just started its second season.
They might be looking at other recent shows that went for a movie adaptation (though granted they have been on air much longer) and just how long it's been since a TMNT movie was out in theaters (though this will apparently be a Netflix release alongside The Loud House's feature length).

Light Lucario

Staff member
lol why not just kill the franchise outright.
Those alternatives would churn out even worse than either the 2012 or Rise series,
and the 2012 series was my lowest point for modern TMNT media.
TMNT is just fine for Nickelodeon's bombastic gimmick even if not much green splatter these days.

I don't know if Disney would turn out a worse series, if only because most of the animated series during the past few years in particular have been pretty good, but I don't know if they'd actually be interested in the property. They already have Marvel and Star Wars to appeal to the male demographic, so I'm not sure what they'd get out of the TMNT franchise aside from obviously more money from toy sales. I don't think that Hasbro or Warner Bros. would be good fits for the franchise though.

Mostezli said:
They might be looking at other recent shows that went for a movie adaptation (though granted they have been on air much longer) and just how long it's been since a TMNT movie was out in theaters (though this will apparently be a Netflix release alongside The Loud House's feature length).

I think it's only been three years since the last live action movie, so it hasn't been that long. I also thought that a new live action movie was in the works, but I haven't heard much about it since it was initially announced. There have been more TV movies based around animated series lately, so I can see why they'd want to jump on that bandwagon. It just seems surprising when this series hasn't been on the air for that long.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Nobody criticized DC or Disney for putting out new Batman or Spider-Man cartoons one right after the other. I don't see the big deal about TMNT doing the same. Transformers does it too.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Viacom got such a steal on the TMNT brand. They only paid $60 million for a franchise that's generated tonnes in merch sales, multiple multi-season TV shows and big Hollywood films.

Nobody criticized DC or Disney for putting out new Batman or Spider-Man cartoons one right after the other. I don't see the big deal about TMNT doing the same. Transformers does it too.

People might not be complaining because they've stopped caring. Constantly rebooting things seems to fatigue audiences. The last Batman branded cartoon was cancelled six years ago. Who knows when the next Spider-Man cartoon (toddler cartoon excluded) will launch after Disney XD's death. Star Wars Resistance got cancelled after two seasons, etc. It seems like you get diminishing returns the more you relaunch without any kind of rest period.

Light Lucario

Staff member

I'm pretty sure that I've heard complaints about both Batman and Spider Man getting new shows one after another before. There was much less excitement for Marvel's Spider Man animated series at least in part due to how it premiered so soon after Ultimate Spider Man ended. There's also the added frustration of just how overused Batman is in general compared to other DC heroes. I'm not too familiar with the Transformers franchise though, so I don't know if there are any breaks between those series.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts