Marvel's Spider-Man "Critical Update" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this "Spider-Man" Episode!

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Catch a new episode of Marvel's Spider-Man, tonight at 9:30PM ET on Disney XD! The episode will also be available on DisneyNOW before its debut on TV.

yqj5ahh-jpg.188162

Marvel's Spider-Man "Critical Update"
Episode Debut - September 22nd, 2019

Doc Ock must adjust to his new life as a hero and is tested by rising crime boss Sand Girl.

*Sofia Carson (The Descendants franchise) returns as Keemia/Sand Girl.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I wonder how this would play out if they had held back on revealing that Peter's consciousness was stored digitally. That could have been cool. I'm sure the suspense would have worked with the intended audience.

I loved how SpOck had the hoods reacting as though he was Batman when he was hunting them down. That's something we pretty much never see from Spider-Man unless you kill his uncle or he's dressed in black. May seems to be the only person Otto cares to be nice to. I wonder if that's all pretense or if he just wants the type of family life that Peter had. It's hilarious how Keemia can murder her loving dad, cozy up to the guy that made their lives the way they were and still believe that she was the one being wronged. It's cold blooded but I won't feel bad for her at all if she never gets out of that glassy prison. Miles might need to watch his back before Otto actively tries to put a knife in it for all of his interference. Jonah would be the one to like the "new and improved" Spider-Man. I'm really curious as to where Peter went at the end of the episode. Does he travel through the internet?

I wonder how Peter can smooth things over with Horizon and Max after what Otto did. What kind of excuse will they accept? Were the few days that Otto spend in his body enough time for Peter to have his tuition jeopardized?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Troy Troodon

Seems like Keemia is really full blown evil now that she's called the remaining gangs and justifies her hatred for Spider-Man for merely re-introducing her to his father, and arresting her boss, Hammerhead, and decides to just go ahead and be a bad guy through and through.

Her character almost reminds me of Catra to an extent, a young girl with a stern yet fragile ego and a sense of misanthropy to her anger issues, blaming all her problems on others.

Frontier

Staff member
I love how the Superior Spider-Man is basically Spider-Man if he were a Supervillain trying to be a hero. He laughs maniacally, talks about how villains are "doomed," and Ock still uses robots to carry out his plans, they're just spiders this time around :p.

Big Wheel? Where was he during "Bring on the Bad Guys?" We haven't even seen him in a cartoon since the 90's show :rolleyes2:.

So how brutal is SpOck? I assumed he was just really beating up crooks and locking them up, but it sounds like he seriously took down the crime bosses. Heck, he probably would have killed Sandgirl if Miles hadn't stopped him :ack:.

It was nice to see the show bring back Sandgirl after 30-some episodes (I guess it's hard to lock in a Disney star for multiple episodes). She was probably one of the show's more effective villain retool's and I felt that was very well on-display in this episode. Although with Otto instead of Peter I felt we lost a little emotional investment in this fight since Peter was the one she previously fought, interacted with her dad, and then watched her kill him :crying:.

Otto's Peter performance is as unconvincing here as it was in the comics. Although to be fair he really doesn't strike me as the type who would put on airs that he's someone else, at least to a serious extent. But considering he's interacting with people who all knew Otto when he was at Horizon, you'd think someone would clue in as to who might be running Peter's body at this point. At least they're all aware that Peter isn't acting like himself :confused:.

We definitely see the indications that, despite fighting crime, Otto doesn't really get what Spider-Man is about by ignoring minor crimes just to focus on the "big picture." Sure he ensures that there's able assistance to be offered in that assistance, but it's not that far from when Peter let the burglar get away when he could've made a difference with his powers :(.

Poor Miles. Otto treats him like Miles is his assistant and then goes all aggro on him. He even gets called a "knockoff Spider-Man" by Sandgirl. At least SpOck isn't immune to the "Spider-Man needs to get saved" mandate :shrug:.

Man, Max really seems to have a bad tendency of unintentionally screwing Peter over. Maybe there is a silver lining to Peter not being at Horizon anymore :sweat:.

Yeah, I don't think a Spider-Man that Jonah approves of is a good Spider-Man :eek:.

I wonder if Peter will have access to Otto's memories in the Trojan Horse. I'm guessing he'll send a message to The Avengers and that's why they'll come after SpOck :mad:.

Welp, of course Otto wouldn't care about the idea that he needs to pay for his own education, not caring an iota about Peter's situation or the fact that it's not his body. And he has Peter "quit" school like he still works there. Smooth moves Dr. Octavius :rolleyes: .
I wonder how Peter can smooth things over with Horizon and Max after what Otto did. What kind of excuse will they accept? Were the few days that Otto spend in his body enough time for Peter to have his tuition jeopardized?
Peter's tuition has been jeopardized all season. It's why he was so desperate to finish his project for the science fair to win the prize money after losing his job with the Bugle. I...guess he doesn't have to worry about it now o_O.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Peter's tuition has been jeopardized all season. It's why he was so desperate to finish his project for the science fair to win the prize money after losing his job with the Bugle. I...guess he doesn't have to worry about it now o_O.

I really lost track of a lot of what happened in S2A. All things considered, I wouldn't be mad if he decided to enroll in Midtown for some reason, but I can't imagine why Otto would think he needs school beside legal reasons.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Marvel's Spider-Man "Critical Update"

Things are getting complicated. Which means things are getting good.

Figures Jonah would like SpOck better. Because he sucks.

I love the idea that Doc rejects the notion of the Multiverse. Not merely because he's right that too many scientists accept that unproven idea (which is frankly science fiction) in OUR Universe, and build entire theories around it, which is irresponsible, but also because this being the fictional Universe it is, we as an audience know that Ock is wrong about this part of it at least. In our world his disgust with the teacher would be righteous. In his, it's actually misguided. Which is something I love.

I would accept a scientist's belief in the Multiverse if they also believed in God. Because those two things have an equal level of proof attached to their existences.

I love that Peter is appalled that the password is "I hate Spider-Man". And it's not simply because he's insulted. It because it's totally lame. And you know what? It is. It's the password of a seven-year-old, not a scientific genius. And I think that's partly why Spidey is annoyed. He doesn't want his name associated with something that dumb.

Why is a scholarship off-limits for Peter again? Ock is supposedly acting the jerk? No. He's actually right. Considering the revenue Peter brings the school, Max is a utter cheapskate and a bad person that he's making Peter pay through the nose to make him rich. I strongly despise Max Modell. I firmly believe he is taking financial advantage of Peter. If he weren't super rich, and just a harried college dean, I'd think different. But I think him refusing to bank Peter's education makes him a truly despicable man. What makes me furious is that the show itself doesn't treat his actions like that. Ock blowing up is the correct response, and the show is using it to show how out of control Peter has gotten. If Peter were truly in control he would have given Max Modell the finger long before now.

In any other show Ock failing so badly to impersonate Parker, or act like a human being, would be bad writing. But that's this version of Ock's entire problem. He DOESN'T know how to act like a person so fooling the people in Peter's life is much harder than it would be for a villain with a more normal temperament. It feels like the show is making Ock stupider than he should be. Until you realize he should and needs to be EXACTLY this stupid.

Interesting episode. Loving this arc so far. ****1/2.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Miles was afraid Ock would shatter Sand Girl, but how do they know she is not already dead? Can glass turn back into sand? :oops:
We've seen Sandman return from a similar fate numerous times but it would be nice if they actually explain it, if she does return. There's so many times with the show that a villain gets locked up or something and then they're just back on the street, no exclamation. I hate to compare it to Spectacular at this point but I really do miss the attention to detail. A mention of a prison break now and then wouldn't hurt. A mistrial or something.

Another great episode. I am loving this arc. Like the comic storyline it just keeps on raising the craziness for Peter and Otto's situations. Otto being so nice to May is something that's always fun to see no matter what incarnation of the not so good doctor. I liked seeing everyone's reaction to "Peter." Otto trying to act like a regular teenager, especially Peter Parker, is so hilariously awkward to watch. Peter is going deeper and deeper down the digital rabbit hole. We'll see where it takes him... Nice that they finally wrapped up the Sandgirl story. She's been on the loose for over a season!

I really lost track of a lot of what happened in S2A. All things considered, I wouldn't be mad if he decided to enroll in Midtown for some reason, but I can't imagine why Otto would think he needs school beside legal reasons.

In the comics, Otto was appalled that Peter hadn't finished getting his doctorate so he went back to Empire State University to get it. Probably the same reason here. Otto refuses to live any life where people aren't referring to him by his well-deserved title of "doctor." Classic Otto.

Frontier

Staff member
Miles was afraid Ock would shatter Sand Girl, but how do they know she is not already dead? Can glass turn back into sand? :oops:
This reminds me of when on The Flash they killed off Sand Demon by turning him into glass (and then went on to pretend they never killed off any villains).
In the comics, Otto was appalled that Peter hadn't finished getting his doctorate so he went back to Empire State University to get it. Probably the same reason here. Otto refuses to live any life where people aren't referring to him by his well-deserved title of "doctor." Classic Otto.
I also doubt he could get away with not going to school with Aunt May around unless he really tried to fool her that he was still going to Horizon.

Fun fact: the Don Lamaz teacher that Otto decried in class was his University professor during the Superior storyline.

This reminds me of when on The Flash they killed off Sand Demon by turning him into glass (and then went on to pretend they never killed off any villains).

I also doubt he could get away with not going to school with Aunt May around unless he really tried to fool her that he was still going to Horizon.

Fun fact: the Don Lamaz teacher that Otto decried in class was his University professor during the Superior storyline.

YES! I forgot to mention that. I noticed Don Lamaze. Nice touch! Doubt he and Otto have the same history together like they do in the comics.

Comicman2014

Anyone else notice Robbie Daymond dropped the Ock accent in this episode? He now sounds more like an evil Peter Parker than Ock inside Peter's body.

I can totally see this Ock taking over the city. He would be the ultimate over-protective dad. This guy would have spider robots all over the city programmed to kill anyone over petty crimes such as littering and jaywalking. He would see other Marvel heroes as incompetent fools, and possibly have them killed. Everyone would have curfews. Think of Dark Warrior Duck from the 1990s show Darkwing Duck.

Frontier

Staff member
Anyone else notice Robbie Daymond dropped the Ock accent in this episode? He now sounds more like an evil Peter Parker than Ock inside Peter's body.
I didn't hear it as much when he was interacting with people but that's probably because he was trying to sound more like Peter. You hear it more when he's Spider-Man in my opinion.
I can totally see this Ock taking over the city. He would be the ultimate over-protective dad. This guy would have spider robots all over the city programmed to kill anyone over petty crimes such as littering and jaywalking. He would see other Marvel heroes as incompetent fools, and possibly have them killed.
With those Spider-Bots watching the city and his take on crime-fighting, it wouldn't surprise me if his methods develop into turning New York into a police state with him in charge :ack:.

Spider-Man

This arc might already be the best of the show so far! I am really loving what they're doing here. The writing even seems a little better and the tone has definitely become a shade or two darker but not excessively so. It's just dark enough for this show. I can't wait to see the next episode. This is easily the best the Spidey toons have been since Spectacular Spider-Man and it's really great to have a Spidey show as good as this on the air.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Now we know that Doc Ock is a healthier eater than Peter. :p

Never change, Jameson. But I'd be shaken up if Spider-Man broke into my office like that.

I'm surprised that Miles was the only one who was suspicious. You'd think Gwen and Anya would be more observant.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm surprised that Miles was the only one who was suspicious. You'd think Gwen and Anya would be more observant.
All of them noticed he was acting weird, but I could see Miles being the most suspicious considering he knows Peter is Spider-Man and was wondering where he was during the whole Tinkerer/Scorpion thing.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts