"Superman: Red Son" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
A "Superman: Red Son" animated movie was announced for 2020 at the San Diego Comic-Con.
It’s a maxim known to comics and superhero fans worldwide. Superman fights for “truth, justice and the American way.” But what if baby Kal-El’s ship left Krypton just a little bit earlier than it did, and rather than crashing down in Kansas, Kal landed in the middle of 1950s-era Russia?
Such is the intriguing idea behind Superman: Red Son, the seminal graphic novel by Mark Millar, Dave Johnson and Killian Plunkett that serves as the inspiration behind 2020’s first DC Universe Movie. Announced this evening at San Diego Comic-Con during the Batman: Hush World Premiere panel, Superman: Red Son will kick off next year’s three-movie lineup, which also includes an original Superman tale and a sequel to one of DC’s 2017 animated films.
Superman: Red Son will likely continue the success of recent DC Universe Movies, while also exposing newer fans to one of the Man of Steel’s most memorable storylines. Originally released in 2003, Superman: Red Son is considered one of the defining Elseworlds storylines—DC’s line of comics set outside regular continuity which place familiar heroes like Superman, Batman and Green Lantern in new, drastically different settings and scenarios. Set in the thick of the Cold War, Red Son introduces us to a Superman who landed in the USSR during the 1950s and grows up to become a Soviet symbol that fights for the preservation of Stalin’s brand of communism. Other popular Superman characters play key roles, notably Lex Luthor, who from an American perspective can be seen as the hero of the story.
This will be the first Superman: Red Son movie, though Millar’s storyline did get a loose adaptation this season on The CW’s Supergirl, when a Supergirl clone was revealed to have been found and trained in Kaznia under the influence of Lex Luthor. While the details of the animated take on the comic are still to be revealed, it’s likely to adhere much closer to the source material than the Supergirl storyline.
Source: DC Comics Blog

Stay tuned for further updates!
Comments?

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I'm really looking forward to this one. Gotham by Gaslight was a breath of fresh air, so hopefully this one works just as well.

I've never read the graphic novel, so I know nothing about the storyline or characters, but it's certainly an interesting idea.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
TV Insider has the exclusive rundown of the voice cast and creative team for Superman: Red Son, along with an image. Click here to check it out.

Leading the cast is Star Trek: Discovery's Jason Isaacs, who will pipe up as Kal-El. Joining him are American Housewife's Diedrich Bader as Lex Luthor, The Gifted and Angel alum Amy Acker as Lois Lane, Star Wars Rebels' Vanessa Marshall as Wonder Woman, and Doom Patrol's Phil Morris (who was also Smallville's Martian Manhunter) as James Olsen. You'll also be hearing Oscar-winning songwriter and Goliath scene-stealer Paul Williams as Brainiac, along with Grimm's Sasha Roiz and Supergirl's Malefic, Phil LaMarr filling out the Green Lantern corps of Hal Jordan and John Stewart, respectively.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
So our role reprisals are Vanessa Marshall as Wonder Woman, Phil LaMarr as John Stewart, and Roger Craig Smith as Batman. This should be fun.

Frontier

Staff member
TV Insider has the exclusive rundown of the voice cast and creative team for Superman: Red Son, along with an image. Click here to check it out.
That's a pretty impressive cast :D.

Jason Isaacs is a phenomenal talent. I can't wait to hear him as Red Sun Superman :cool:.

I was really expecting Bader to voice Batman in this, but Lex Luthor should be fun. And Roger Craig Smith as a Russian Batman? Can't wait to hear that ;).

Most DC fans probably remember Amy Acker as Huntress, but I'm sure she'll deliver as Lois. Reminds me of that time Helena kidnapped Jimmy Olsen :rolleyes2:.

It's always a treat to hear Vanessa Marshall as Wonder Woman again :).

Phil Morris as Jimmy Olsen is something I never expected to see, but this is probably the one version where they could conceivably pull that off o_O.

Hal and John! Cool! Especially getting to hear Phil LaMarr as John again :anime:.

Happy to see Sam Liu directing, and I have faith J.M. DeMatteis will be able to properly adapt the story in all it's emotional intensity :proud:.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
1. I was really expecting Diedrich Bader to voice Batman in this, but Lex Luthor should be fun.

2. And Roger Craig Smith as a Russian Batman? Can't wait to hear that ;).

3. Most DC fans probably remember Amy Acker as Huntress, but I'm sure she'll deliver as Lois.
1. I believe this is the first time he's voiced a character from Superman lore.

2. He did pull off a strong Russian accent on Regular Show.

3. Its full circle portraying at this point given that she and Tara Strong have voiced the characters in different projects.

I actually Jason J. Lewis would voice Superman again given how he voiced him on Justice League Action, which included using an accent in "Keeping Up With The Kryptonians ".

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

JM DeMatteis mentioned the involvement of Jim Krieg & Bruce Timm as producers. I guess this means the former has officially replaced Alan Burnett as co-producer in this movie line .

TheGreatOne2

So our role reprisals are Vanessa Marshall as Wonder Woman, Phil LaMarr as John Stewart, and Roger Craig Smith as Batman. This should be fun.

Phil La Marr is voicing Hal Jordan this time for the first time. Not John Stewart. It would good to see Phil voicing Hal this time instead of John. Partly Role reprisal for Phil, He is still voicing a green latern but a different one from the Bruce Timm Verse

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Phil La Marr is voicing Hal Jordan this time for the first time. Not John Stewart. It would good to see Phil voicing Hal this time instead of John. Partly Role reprisal for Phil, He is still voicing a green latern but a different one from the Bruce Timm Verse
Check the article again - Sasha Roiz is Hal and Phil LaMarr is John.

Frontier

Staff member
I love the design for Superman and that is one impressive voice cast. Delighted to have LaMarr back as John Stewart again.
Man, it's hard to believe, but isn't this the first time he's reprised John in an animated work since JLU? I know he's played his skin in Injustice :confused:.

Reminds me of the plan to have him reprise John in GL:TAS' potential third season.

Frederik Wiedmann is attached to the project .
He tends to be on plenty of Sam Liu projects :).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
J.M. DeMatteis? Check. Interested.

Squinting at this one still, looks like the work of character designer Steven Choi and a little in line with Gaslight among his most recent works.

"Superior Man" doesn't ring any bells. Must be a new addition, a German superhero who clashes with Kal-El or something.

Hmm, so just Anna Vocino, Greg Chun, Jim Ward, Jason Spisak, and Tara Strong weren't in this initial PR while the rest were indeed in the article with the leaked cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts