DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 10 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Or each year, there will be a team movie with the subtitle :Apokolips War. Like 2021 might be Teen Titans: Apokolips War and 2022 might be Justice League: Apokolips War.

Man of Tomorrow could be before he ends up in Metropolis. Since it would be pushing what was started in War if the movie is in canon.

Greg91

Reporter
Wow, this is the first year we haven't gotten a Batman movie since 2007 when the DC Universe Animated Original Movie line started! I didn't think it would happen honestly. It also makes me wonder if that Batman: The Long Halloween rumor was for a later date like 2021 or if it was false.

Two Superman movies in one year is also a first. It's great to see more Superman since I've found the character has been kind of on the sidelines outside of comics lately. As the superhero who essentially defined the pop culture of superheroes, it's weird to see him overlooked. I'm glad the animated division is giving him more attention.

The difference between the two Superman movies is pretty interested from Red Son Superman to a young Superman. Perhaps the Justice League Action episode "Keeping Up with the Kryptonians" will be included on the Superman: Red Son Blu-ray as a bonus episode! A New Gods focused movie sounds cool but I'm not into the Justice League Dark so that's unfortunate. I just hope that's not the follow-up to Reign of the Supermen.

Frontier

Staff member
Or each year, there will be a team movie with the subtitle :Apokolips War. Like 2021 might be Teen Titans: Apokolips War and 2022 might be Justice League: Apokolips War.
That would actually be a pretty cool way of spotlighting all the major teams in the animated film universe while also treating the war with Apokolips and Darkseid as the major event it deserves :).

Heck, we've been speculating the Titans would go cosmic for their next movie, so it would fit pretty well in that ;).
Man of Tomorrow could be before he ends up in Metropolis. Since it would be pushing what was started in War if the movie is in canon.
Or it's set soon after War, but then they would have to deal with the Wonder Woman relationship...I dunno, I could see some soft retcons if it's in-continuity.
Wow, this is the first year we haven't gotten a Batman movie since 2007 when the DC Universe Animated Original Movie line started! I didn't think it would happen honestly. It also makes me wonder if that Batman: The Long Halloween rumor was for a later date like 2021 or if it was false.
I think 2021 we might get two in-continuity movies and the first part of Long Halloween :cool:.
Two Superman movies in one year is also a first. It's great to see more Superman since I've found the character has been kind of on the sidelines outside of comics lately. As the superhero who essentially defined the pop culture of superheroes, it's weird to see him overlooked. I'm glad the animated division is giving him more attention.
Agreed :D.
The difference between the two Superman movies is pretty interested from Red Son Superman to a young Superman. Perhaps the Justice League Action episode "Keeping Up with the Kryptonians" will be included on the Superman: Red Son Blu-ray as a bonus episode! A New Gods focused movie sounds cool but I'm not into the Justice League Dark so that's unfortunate. I just hope that's not the follow-up to Reign of the Supermen.
It would be very fitting :anime:.
Its funny timing how both this ongoing movie canon and Young Justice's canon, had skirmishs over the years, but now at the same time seem to be headed to an all out war with Apokolips.
And with similar designs, even :p.

EmaHalJordan

I would have liked it to be 1 of Superman 1 of the League and 1 of the Titans or another of the League or another hero of DC (not Batman)
I would have loved Blackest Night, Sinestro Corps War, Who is Donna Troy, or Justice!

It makes me laugh to read angry people in some places because there is no Batman movie!
Happily there is no Batman !!!
We need Atom Hawkman Hawkgirl Firestorm Green Lantern Green Arrow Flash Aquaman Dr.Fate JSA New Gods Shazam JLI and more Titans and Wonder Woman!
This year they had Hush and Batman with the Ninja Turtles! What else do you want? sure they will have a lot of Batman in 2021 next to the new movie!

Otaku-sempai

For those who really feel the need for more animated Batman, he will probably appear in the new Justice League Dark movie in some capacity. And an alternate version will likely show up in Red Son.

EDIT: I was reminded by a new story at The World's Finest that we will also eventually get the extended DC Showcase short Batman: Death in the Family.

Last edited:

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
An interesting collection of titles for next year. Pretty Superman heavy, but Batman has hogged the spotlight for a while now.

Frankly, I'm shocked WB are going all in with Superman. They clearly don't know what to do with him on the big screen, his current comics aren't setting the charts alight and, unless you are killing him, none of his DTV's have been massive sellers.

Frontier

Staff member
An interesting collection of titles for next year. Pretty Superman heavy, but Batman has hogged the spotlight for a while now.

Frankly, I'm shocked WB are going all in with Superman. They clearly don't know what to do with him on the big screen, his current comics aren't setting the charts alight and, unless you are killing him, none of his DTV's have been massive sellers.
I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth when it comes to more Superman content :cool:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I think both "Keeping Up With the Kryptonians" from Justice League Action and "Brave New Metropolis" from Superman TAS were discussed before as possible bonus content for the eventual Red Son movie.

Also, I'm inclined to think there will be at least one Batman-centric movie next year, just not part of the main DTV movies line. Like this year we had Batman vs. TMNT and there's a LEGO movie coming out soon. Who knows what we'll see throughout 2020.

Greg91

Reporter
I think both "Keeping Up With the Kryptonians" from Justice League Action and "Brave New Metropolis" from Superman TAS were discussed before as possible bonus content for the eventual Red Son movie.

Also, I'm inclined to think there will be at least one Batman-centric movie next year, just not part of the main DTV movies line. Like this year we had Batman vs. TMNT and there's a LEGO movie coming out soon. Who knows what we'll see throughout 2020.
Those bonus episodes make plenty of sense. That's also likely that we'll still get Batman movies outside of the main line. Perhaps that's why they were willing to not include a Batman movie in the line-up for 2020.
For those who really feel the need for more animated Batman, he will probably appear in the new Justice League Dark movie in some capacity. And an alternate version will likely show up in Red Son.
It's sad to think people can get upset about the lack of Batman animated movies in one year. What about the Superman fans who had no movies after 2013? What about the Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash and Aquaman fans that have had one or two movies focused on them out of over 30 movies? It's be long overdue for us to see the other DC heroes more.

I hope any fan complaints are minimal at best because so many other fans have asked for movies focused on other characters. I'd love to see a Blackest Night adaptation, a Flash movie and an Aquaman movie.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Don't forget, we knew nothing about Batman Ninja until it was revealed as a panel at New York Comic Con in October 2017.

They've just announced the DC Universe movie slate. The DC Animated DTV's is something altogether different. Who knows what else they have in store for us next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts